The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kell Brook - Where Next?

+25
aja424
Steffan
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
wheelchair1991
mobilemaster8
AdamT
AlexHuckerby
hazharrison
Valero's Conscience
BoxingFan88
Hammersmith harrier
Dipper Brown
Lance
Jermaine2015
Baby faced assassin
catchweight
huw
jimdig
Mr Bounce
RanjitPatel
milkyboy
Rodney
Coxy001
Rowley
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Kell Brook - Where Next? - Page 3 Empty Kell Brook - Where Next?

Post by Rowley Wed Mar 23 2016, 13:28

First topic message reminder :

A lot of rumours doing the rounds today that Kell Brook has been offered a fight with Miguel Cotto this summer, subject to him coming through against Bizier this weekend, and let’s face it most on here assume he will do that without too much trouble. I am never particularly sure what to make of such rumours. The cynic in me is always a little wary of announcements of decent sounding match ups in the run up to underwhelming defences, can’t help but feel they are a convenient and easy way of distracting attention from a run of poor opponents or the like. Hell, if I’d have had a pound every time Calzaghe was linked with Jones or Hopkins during his super middle days I suspect I’d have made more from his career than he did.

However, if only to stimulate some debate about one of the more high profile British fighters who is in action this weekend and to prove I can do modern populism (or shamelessly currying responses as I am sure Milky will rightly accuse me of) I wondered what folk make of a potential fight with Cotto, or if it is not Cotto then who? Khan, for the immediate future seems dead in the water currently. If he loses to Canelo one would have to think he will be rebuilding and if he wins I am not sure the fight is particularly easy to make. Khan is rightly or wrongly accused of having an inflated opinion of his own worth, struggle to imagine a win over Alvarez will do too much to alleviate this as an obstacle to getting the fight made.

Other than this who would we be happy with? Manny maintains Bradley will be his last fight, if Bradley loses he may, like Khan, be looking to rebuild. Thurman appears to be in limbo after his postponement against Porter. Not too sure of Garcia’s plans, but it could be a case that a move up or a catchweight fight against Cotto could be the best of the available options. What I suspect we all agree on is post Bizier there can be no more excuses or inconvenient, absolutely unavoidable mandatory challengers it needs to be a named opponent of decent quality. What do others see as being his next step, be it a realistic one or your personal choice?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Kell Brook - Where Next? - Page 3 Empty Re: Kell Brook - Where Next?

Post by milkyboy Wed Apr 20 2016, 09:37

hazharrison wrote:Sat through an Eddie Hearn interview yesterday.

He listed the following:

Cotto - won't take a summer date
Bradley - wasn't keen to negotiate after coming off a tough fight against Pacquiao
Peterson - likely
Garcia - probably fighting Floyd
Broner - would demand extortionate money
Spence - has to fight another eliminator and won't be fast-tracked against Brook

So I'd be wagering the next opponent is Peterson. That would be an easy enough fight for Brook. Peterson's only top win is Khan (after which he was busted for PED use).

you're made of stern stuff haz.

Peterson doesn't set the pulse rating, but its certainly a step-up in opposition compared to the flotsam Brook has been in with of late. He beat garcia in most people's eyes, and beat an undefeated olympic champion last time out, so his form since the matthysse shellacking has been decent. Of course he'snot really a welter...

Garcia probably fighting floyd? I'm already reaching for the bucket...in anticipation of floyd ranting on about taking on the toughest challenges.... unbeaten opponent, 50 and 0 baby yada yada puke.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Apr 20 2016, 09:37

Hope they don't give that schmuck Broner a pay day...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed Apr 20 2016, 11:37

milkyboy wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Sat through an Eddie Hearn interview yesterday.

He listed the following:

Cotto - won't take a summer date
Bradley - wasn't keen to negotiate after coming off a tough fight against Pacquiao
Peterson - likely
Garcia - probably fighting Floyd
Broner - would demand extortionate money
Spence - has to fight another eliminator and won't be fast-tracked against Brook

So I'd be wagering the next opponent is Peterson. That would be an easy enough fight for Brook. Peterson's only top win is Khan (after which he was busted for PED use).

you're made of stern stuff haz.

Peterson doesn't set the pulse rating, but its certainly a step-up in opposition compared to the flotsam Brook has been in with of late. He beat garcia in most people's eyes, and beat an undefeated olympic champion last time out, so his form since the matthysse shellacking has been decent. Of course he'snot really a welter...

Yep, those Kugan/Hearn "interviews" are horrendous but I wanted to hear his spiel on Brook.

They're talking Bramall Lane but they'll struggle to fill it with Peterson unless they cram it with a good undercard.

Garcia probably fighting floyd? I'm already reaching for the bucket...in anticipation of floyd ranting on about taking on the toughest challenges.... unbeaten opponent, 50 and 0 baby yada yada puke.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20 2016, 12:08

Chuck money at Broner....Eddie chucked it at Martin to secure a fight for AJ so why not for arguably the best fighter in his stable?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Apr 20 2016, 12:20

Because Broner is a massive kumquat and doesn't deserve the pay day??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed Apr 20 2016, 12:25

DAVE667 wrote:Chuck money at Broner....Eddie chucked it at Martin to secure a fight for AJ so why not for arguably the best fighter in his stable?

Would Broner be permitted into the UK (he's currently on probation)? Doubtful.

They'd take that in the US, though, I imagine. Decent money to beat up that joker.

It'll be Peterson, though. Sounds as though that's a done deal (they're just hanging out for a late move from someone).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 20 2016, 12:26

Whilst you're almost certainly right regarding Broner's character Toppy, Hearn is in the business of selling tickets, PPV's and making decent fights for Brook. Unfortunately in that respect Broner ticks some boxes, decent but nowhere near as good as he thinks, a multi division world champion* and a complete bell end who will act so appallingly in the build up people will pay in the hope of seeing him knocked out.

* - I know, don't point it out.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20 2016, 12:31

TopHat24/7 wrote:Because Broner is a massive kumquat and doesn't deserve the pay day??
But we deserve to see Broner given a spanking of such gargantuan proportions that Kell becomes elevated to "Britain's best ever fighter" simply for making us smile so much. We'll all have to replace our HDD boxes as they've worn out watching endless repeats of Broner being knocked from pillar to post and it will become Britain best loved tv moment ousting David Jason falling through that bar.

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed Apr 20 2016, 12:39

Is Jessie Vargas not in the mix as well?

Also surprised the Chaves fight hasn't been muted again. Although he still hasn't fought since the Bradley draw.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Apr 20 2016, 13:07

DAVE667 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Because Broner is a massive kumquat and doesn't deserve the pay day??
But we deserve to see Broner given a spanking of such gargantuan proportions that Kell becomes elevated to "Britain's best ever fighter" simply for making us smile so much. We'll all have to replace our HDD boxes as they've worn out watching endless repeats of Broner being knocked from pillar to post and it will become Britain best loved tv moment ousting David Jason falling through that bar.

All very well and good. But we on this board will then be subjected to weeks, if not months, of Truss telling us how great Broner actually is, how if being a 3/4 weight world champ was so easy then more than 2 (or whatever) Brits would have done it, Kell's cv is still dross.....etc etc.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 20 2016, 13:22

TopHat24/7 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

All very well and good.  But we on this board will then be subjected to weeks, if not months, of Truss telling us how great Broner actually is, how if being a 3/4 weight world champ was so easy then more than 2 (or whatever) Brits would have done it, Kell's cv is still dross.....etc etc.
Be worth it to watch the fat f*ck get his mouth shut

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Apr 20 2016, 13:43

... Broner or truss?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu Apr 21 2016, 09:23

IBF champion Kell Brook reveals dream of 'smacking' outspoken American Adrien Broner By Joshua Evans
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ibf-champion-kell-brook-reveals-173315956.html

Kell Brook dreams of dishing out a "beating" to Adrien Broner. The 29-year-old Briton recently defeated Canadian Kevin Bizier in impressive fashion to retain his IBF welterweight belt and has now turned his attention to securing a big-money fight against one of the sport's biggest names.

Brook is open to facing a number of high-profile opponents and has revealed the outspoken Broner is someone who he would particularly relish facing. "A lot of people, including myself, would like to give him a beating for how he acts and how he goes off," Brook admitted to Sky Sports.

"He does wind me up because he's got no respect for the game. I am not as bad as some people who say they 'hate' him, I just take him for what he is. But he's someone I'd like to smack about! He can fight, they can all fight at this level. I am ready to go in July. I just want big names and I need to fight big names to get me up for a fight. I've been doing this for a long time."

Brook also spoke about the possibility of facing the highly-rated American welterweight Errol Spence Jr, who stopped former world champion Chris Algieri in New York at the weekend. The Briton suggested the unbeaten southpaw may be overrated by critics, likening him to the former IBF super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy.

"He's still not heard of as a big name but he's definitely showing he's starting to fight and it will be interesting when he becomes the mandatory and we have to get it on," Brook said. "But I just wonder if he's got a taste of Jeff Lacy about him, this big hype thing and look what Joe Calzaghe did to him. I don't know but I have a feeling like that about him. But we won't know until we get it on."

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu Apr 21 2016, 10:31

Fair play to Brook why waste a voluntary on Spence when he can have him as his mandatory in the next fight anyway?

Gives Spence another fight to build his name, if Brook fights Broner or someone like that then Spence we can't complain.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 21 2016, 12:41

milkyboy wrote:... Broner or truss?
Broner...TRUSS isn't fat, he's big boned

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri Apr 22 2016, 00:02

Broner?! Can someone explain what planet this guy is on?

If this fight is made, I'll be done with him and will in my own opinion brand him as britains worst ever world champion.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 22 2016, 08:18

mobilemaster8 wrote:Broner?! Can someone explain what planet this guy is on?

If this fight is made, I'll be done with him and will in my own opinion brand him as britains worst ever world champion.

Who would you want to see him face, its either Broner or Garcia, both are names he mentioned

I hear a lot of complaining but not a lot of suggested opponents.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22 2016, 10:04

BoxingFan88 wrote:

Who would you want to see him face, its either Broner or Garcia, both are names he mentioned

Exactly,
Cotto - Pipe dream
Manny - Retired,
Bradley - coming off a loss to Manny
Thurman, Porter - Tied up
Petersen - Drug Cheat
Khan - Big fight imminent
Spence - Due to fight for mandatory shot next.

Outside of Broner or Garcia you're moving down the list towards the likes of Maidana

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Apr 22 2016, 10:22

1. Bradley
2. Garcia
3. Broner

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 22 2016, 10:23

DAVE667 wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:

Exactly,
Cotto - Pipe dream
Manny - Retired,
Bradley - coming off a loss to Manny
Thurman, Porter - Tied up
Petersen - Drug Cheat
Khan - Big fight imminent
Spence - Due to fight for mandatory shot next.

Outside of Broner or Garcia you're moving down the list towards the likes of Maidana

Haha love to see someone come back after that, great post

Maidana is retired

Broner OR Garcia I would be very happy with, take on Spence after that then the rest of the division opens up

I suppose Jessie Vargas is an option as well?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 22 2016, 10:24

TopHat24/7 wrote:1. Bradley
2. Garcia
3. Broner

Not sure Bradley will go into a fight for a while, he had concussion after the Pacquiao fight, might need to rest for a while, he took quite a beating

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Apr 22 2016, 10:35

Maidana is retired??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22 2016, 10:45

TopHat24/7 wrote:Maidana is retired??
I wasn't aware (but that's nothing new)

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 22 2016, 11:37

DAVE667 wrote:

Yeah read it on reddit, he posted it on twitter I think

But I can't find it anywhere, so maybe it was either a joke or I imagined it

Doubt Maidana would fight Brook though in England in his first fight since Mayweather in 2014

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 22 2016, 11:48

BoxingFan88 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Doubt Maidana would fight Brook though in England in his first fight since Mayweather in 2014
True enough but the point being that who does mobilemaster want Brook to fight next when you can safely eliminate all those names...Collazo? Malignaggi?

I'm as frustrated by Brook's stagnation as much as the next man (unless the next man is Eddie)

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri Apr 22 2016, 12:13

DAVE667 wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

True enough but the point being that who does mobilemaster want Brook to fight next when you can safely eliminate all those names...Collazo? Malignaggi?

I'm as frustrated by Brook's stagnation as much as the next man (unless the next man is Eddie)

Ditto, the Frankie Gavin fight was meant to be a quick turn around for the fight with Chaves later on in the year

The IBF mandatories have been shocking as well

But he needs to fight a good name next, then Spence after that, then he should have his pick of anyone in the division if he comes through all that.

No excuses now, this division is stacked, if Crawford beats Postol, then he will move up as well

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri Apr 22 2016, 14:28

BoxingFan88 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Maidana is weighing upwards of 200lb these days! Good on him.

He should enjoy the money he earned beating Floyd.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Apr 22 2016, 14:29

Beat Floyd? I had Floyd by a round or two. Close fight!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri Apr 22 2016, 14:43

AdamT wrote:Beat Floyd? I had Floyd by a round or two. Close fight!

Ha! I thought Maidana edged it (but then I was in his corner in that one - and so my judgement may have been impaired).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Apr 22 2016, 14:46

I was in the other corner. Was it a draw then! HA!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3