The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly season transfer rumours III...

+61
DaveM
Recwatcher16
chris_501
whocares
RDW
Pot Hale
PhilBB
Knackeredknees
nathan
international198
Driver
TheMildlyFranticLlama
kingelderfield
stnick88
LeinsterFan4life
doctor_grey
englishborn
LordDowlais
BigGee
NeilyBroon
Seagultaf
mckay1402
beshocked
bluestonevedder
sad_gimp
geoff999rugby
MonkeyOwain12
exile jack
Fluxy
Rugby Fan
Artful_Dodger
WELL-PAST-IT
Heaf
profitius
Margin_Walker
munkian
Ozzy3213
George Carlin
Geordie
No 7&1/2
Cumbrian
BamBam
HongKongCherry
propdavid_london
stub
Bathman_in_London
True Raven
ChequeredJersey
king_carlos
formerly known as Sam
lostinwales
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
jbeadlesbigrighthand
demosthenes
Welly
yappysnap
Bathite
VinceWLB
Hazel Sapling
65 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 19 Empty Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 04 Mar 2016, 11:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Aaron Jarvis has signed for Clermont (http://www.planetrugby.com/news/ospreys-prop-jarvis-to-join-clermont/). The Osprey's signed Rhodri Jones as a replacement I guess.

Steve Shingler (of is he eligible for Scotland or not fame) has gone to the Blues. Straight swap of Shingler for Patchell. Hope Cardiff are paying less as Scarlets got the better player (http://www.planetrugby.com/news/shingler-swaps-scarlets-for-blues/)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 19 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 24 Sep 2016, 9:49 am

Come on GF! Lol

Wilson is one of the best scrummaging TH's in rugby when firing. He'll be a fantastic coup when fit. Slot Welsh in at LH and that's a formidable front row with Vea, Lockwood and Vickers to come in.

A local Int with 40+ caps, I'll take that.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 19 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Sep 2016, 10:37 am

mikey_dragon wrote:We (Dragons) were pretty close to signing Mike Ford. Guess he fancied a bit of sun. His loss. And ours too I guess as we're going nowhere fast.

A bit of sun and an extra zero on the end of this salary.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 24 Sep 2016, 10:59 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:We (Dragons) were pretty close to signing Mike Ford. Guess he fancied a bit of sun. His loss. And ours too I guess as we're going nowhere fast.

A bit of sun and an extra zero on the end of this salary.

Just one extra zero? Harsh times at Toulon in 2016...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat 24 Sep 2016, 11:18 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Bathite I was wondering that maybe Blackadder was going to use his Crusaders connections and contact a certain LI prop.

Seems a few AP teams are eying up late deals for SH players.

I'd be surprised if Franks went to Bath.  I appreciate that it was under a different DoR, but he spoke to Bath in the summer when they were after him and he decided against going there.  He may have a relationship with Blackadder, but his family is very settled in London and he is also studying here.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 24 Sep 2016, 11:52 am

Sorry gents I normally bow,to your knowledge but I have to disagree with you this time.

Not happy at all.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 24 Sep 2016, 12:17 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Sorry gents I normally bow,to your knowledge but I have to disagree with you this time.

Not happy at all.

Well I suppose you're in a win/win position GF. If he doesn't make an impact then you can say "told you". If he does then it's a great result for your team.

OK Ozzy, didn't realise he'd already turned them down.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 24 Sep 2016, 12:28 pm

Do you remember our tour of NZ a few years back GF? Wilson was starting TH for that tour and destroyed the opposition. If he can get back to that level we've got some player.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 24 Sep 2016, 1:25 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Bathite I was wondering that maybe Blackadder was going to use his Crusaders connections and contact a certain LI prop.

Seems a few AP teams are eying up late deals for SH players.

I'd be surprised if Franks went to Bath.  I appreciate that it was under a different DoR, but he spoke to Bath in the summer when they were after him and he decided against going there.  He may have a relationship with Blackadder, but his family is very settled in London and he is also studying here.

It could also be a blessing in disguise for extending his career if he wishes. He gets to keep playing, in touch with the game and a decent wage (I'm guessing he won't have taken that big a cut) whilst playing at a level of physicality below what he is accustomed to. The Franks brothers are also competitive Olympic Weight lifters so keeping his body in a shape to keep doing that after rugby will probably be high in his priorities.

When combined with a settle family and studying in London a year in the Championship may not be the worst thing for him.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sat 24 Sep 2016, 1:37 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Do you remember our tour of NZ a few years back GF? Wilson was starting TH for that tour and destroyed the opposition. If he can get back to that level we've got some player.
that player is long gone

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 24 Sep 2016, 8:39 pm

Yeah I'm not convinced that player is still there...but if They can get him going fair enough.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 25 Sep 2016, 8:10 pm

Next season, Worcester and Quins in for Aaron Cruden
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sun 25 Sep 2016, 9:00 pm

Wow. Where did that come from. Still one of the worlds best fhs, can't believe a French team wouldn't be in for him

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 25 Sep 2016, 9:13 pm

What a waste of Cruden if he goes to Worcester.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 26 Sep 2016, 6:53 am

Exactly Sam.... He needs to go somewhere he'll be appreciated...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 26 Sep 2016, 9:43 am

Where have these rumours come from? Also, why would he leave NZ while there is the potential for many more AB caps?
Only really BB infront of him!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 26 Sep 2016, 11:03 am

propdavid_london wrote:Where have these rumours come from? Also, why would he leave NZ while there is the potential for many more AB caps?

He's 27, there new talent coming through and by the next RWC he's going to be on the wrong side of 30 for someone with his history if knee injuries. I'd imagine he'll stay for the Lions and then head abroad. BB has signed a new long term deal to stay in NZ.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 26 Sep 2016, 11:16 am

propdavid_london wrote:Where have these rumours come from? Also, why would he leave NZ while there is the potential for many more AB caps?

Looks like at least McKenzie set to overtake him though.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 26 Sep 2016, 11:16 am

Well if Quins could get hold of him then I would be very happy. Could be the new NEv for us - Just have to secure his services.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 26 Sep 2016, 12:10 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

There's also Lima there playing well for the Highlanders and Richie Mo'unga coming in really quickly at the Crusaders. Ihia West might eventually reach his potential for the Blues but if not they've probably got someone else to turn to. The conveyor belt of playmakers just keeps on going.

Personally I'd have thought a player with his track record of injuries would go to Japan. Top up his pension, easy trip home and less games to tax the body.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 26 Sep 2016, 12:15 pm

Are AP clubs still enquiring about Berrick Barnes? The last time my agents contacted him he was injured, but was eyeing a lucrative move overseas to south Wales and possibly south France.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 26 Sep 2016, 12:17 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

There's also Lima there playing well for the Highlanders and Richie Mo'unga coming in really quickly at the Crusaders. Ihia West might eventually reach his potential for the Blues but if not they've probably got someone else to turn to. The conveyor belt of playmakers just keeps on going.

Personally I'd have thought a player with his track record of injuries would go to Japan. Top up his pension, easy trip home and less games to tax the body.

Might fancy giving doing the Thorn though and winning everything in Euro rugby too Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 26 Sep 2016, 12:23 pm

The Lure of London is strong for many antipodean's! Especially those that are still quite young.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Mon 26 Sep 2016, 12:39 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Are AP clubs still enquiring about Berrick Barnes? The last time my agents contacted him he was injured, but was eyeing a lucrative move overseas to south Wales and possibly south France.

Bath were supposedly enquiring, considering they only really have one or two centres.

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 26 Sep 2016, 5:24 pm

Off topic, but what's happened to Campagnaro? Thought he'd be a great signing for Exeter, could really see a Slade-Camp midfield having pretty much everything, but he hasn't had a game!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 26 Sep 2016, 6:10 pm

I think he's injured. He got some game time last season but not a lot. It probably doesn't help that Exeter have so many centres available. Whitten has become a winger to get a game after being a midfield regular last season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 27 Sep 2016, 10:58 am

Robbie Freuan confirmed to Bath at the end of the Mitre10 Cup.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 Sep 2016, 10:58 am

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/fruean-confirmed-as-joining-bath-rugby/

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 Sep 2016, 10:59 am

Just pipped

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 27 Sep 2016, 11:00 am

Laugh
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 27 Sep 2016, 11:07 am

INB4 he gets injured in the final Mitre 10 game.

Good signing though on his day a excellent player but he is fairly injury prone.

10) Ford
12) Fruean
13) JJ

Has a nice look to it.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 27 Sep 2016, 12:42 pm

He's a 13 really. Not sure we will see him at 12 much. More likely to be JJ cover for autumn ints and 6n

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 27 Sep 2016, 12:48 pm

Well until you name a 12 I fully suspect he will go there ATM.

Although I like Clark.

Personally I hope Tigers try and sign a Clark or Sloan or something if Manu injury problems are not sorted by end of season.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 27 Sep 2016, 1:00 pm

Clark has been strong and Bowden is a half decent player. Fruean would be third choice 12 but only second choice 13

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 27 Sep 2016, 1:18 pm

There's no way Fruean would be Bath's third choice 12. By far the first choice 12 and by far the second choice 13, with JJ not covering 13 and Fruean covering 12, it's going to be the midfield Welly predicted above. He's just a better player than Bowden or Clark can be
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 27 Sep 2016, 1:27 pm

Shaun Knight on loan to Barf till the end of the season

Seems the Dragons are now their official feeder club.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 27 Sep 2016, 1:30 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:There's no way Fruean would be Bath's third choice 12. By far the first choice 12 and by far the second choice 13, with JJ not covering 13 and Fruean covering 12, it's going to be the midfield Welly predicted above. He's just a better player than Bowden or Clark can be

Have you ever seen him play 12?

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 27 Sep 2016, 1:37 pm

Nope but have seen him play in that position in the backs before.

Majority of NZ centers play 12/13 role and rotate during the game.
I would be amazed if Blackadder started Clark or Bowden ahead of him TBH starting wise.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 27 Sep 2016, 2:34 pm

Don't know if it's been mentioned but TRP has linked Quins with signing Cruden as a replacement for Nev. He wants £700,000 though.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 27 Sep 2016, 2:36 pm

yappysnap wrote:Don't know if it's been mentioned but TRP has linked Quins with signing Cruden as a replacement for Nev. He wants £700,000 though.

No player in England is on that much though, right? There a couple in France though I'm sure. Giteau, Carter and Halfpenny are some I think.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 27 Sep 2016, 2:47 pm

Beale is on £750k I blieve according to reports.

Think it was reported he was earning 1.5 million over 2 seasons.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 27 Sep 2016, 2:50 pm

Beale is one exception, then. Quins don't come across as a team who have that much money to spend on one player, or do they?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 Sep 2016, 2:55 pm

£700k would seriously break Quins salary structure, and I cannot see them viewing it as a sustainable or sensible "investment". He would probably be a good player for Quins, but there are no guarantees.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 27 Sep 2016, 3:32 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Beale is one exception, then. Quins don't come across as a team who have that much money to spend on one player, or do they?

They have more money than you might think.

LT it depends if the ownership believe they need a player like Cruden to bring up the quality let's face it since Evans has gotten to that age Quins have not been a factor in the top 4 and they will want to get there.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 27 Sep 2016, 3:48 pm

While that is a huge salary, is it percentage wise a greater chunk of the salary cap than Nev would have been years ago when the cap was much lower? Quins bet big on a star player and it worked well, so why not again?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 27 Sep 2016, 3:49 pm

Welly wrote:Nope but have seen him play in that position in the backs before.

Majority of NZ centers play 12/13 role and rotate during the game.
I would be amazed if Blackadder started Clark or Bowden ahead of him TBH starting wise.

Fair point. I'm just not sure that he will realistically play that much alongside JJ at 13. If he arrives in October, then he'll need some time to get upto speed and then we are into Autumn ints.

So most likely that it will be 12. Clark/Bowden and 13. Fruean

Would love there to be a 12. Fruean 13. Joseph lineup, but can't see how many games that will happen with the England commitments

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Sep 2016, 3:59 pm

Welly wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Beale is one exception, then. Quins don't come across as a team who have that much money to spend on one player, or do they?

They have more money than you might think.

LT it depends if the ownership believe they need a player like Cruden to bring up the quality let's face it since Evans has gotten to that age Quins have not been a factor in the top 4 and they will want to get there.

They splashed a lot of cash on Evans and again to keep him in England. When they consider it worth spending big Quins do. I doubt Jamie Roberts is on peanuts.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 Sep 2016, 4:08 pm

Jamie Roberts will be their highest paid player, but probably on no more than £500k (Manu's new contract was described s the highest for a domestic player - such value Very Happy).

Problem with bringing in one player on significantly more than the rest is that it makes salary negotiations harder for the club and drives the overall wage bill up. The owners may think it is all a risk worth taking (and there are no guarantees that big money signings will work) but it would drive expenditure up.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 27 Sep 2016, 6:51 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Jamie Roberts will be their highest paid player, but probably on no more than £500k (Manu's new contract was described s the highest for a domestic player - such value Very Happy).

Problem with bringing in one player on significantly more than the rest is that it makes salary negotiations harder for the club and drives the overall wage bill up. The owners may think it is all a risk worth taking (and there are no guarantees that big money signings will work) but it would drive expenditure up.

Guess having the AB starting 10 from last season could bring more bums on seats.

Quins apparently pay Robshaw, Brown and Care £320K (More than what North was on at the time @ Saints), Roberts is apparently on £340K although i suspect he could have gotten more if not for his Uni commitments as well.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 27 Sep 2016, 7:03 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:There's no way Fruean would be Bath's third choice 12. By far the first choice 12 and by far the second choice 13, with JJ not covering 13 and Fruean covering 12, it's going to be the midfield Welly predicted above. He's just a better player than Bowden or Clark can be
Agreed. If fit, I think that RF is better than any other centre Bath has. I think that's an amazing signing, frankly.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 27 Sep 2016, 8:02 pm

George Carlin wrote:
Agreed. If fit, I think that RF is better than any other centre Bath has. I think that's an amazing signing, frankly.

He was always explosive ball in hand but I do remember him being less keen to do the defensive shift. Potentially a great signing but he's not without his flaws.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next