The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Club Fitting, The driver and buyers remorse

4 posters

Go down

Club Fitting, The driver and buyers remorse Empty Club Fitting, The driver and buyers remorse

Post by Nay Sat 02 Apr 2016, 6:06 pm

Afternoon All

So first things first, played the first handicap counting medal of the year this morning and despite all the good play this year and low scores. Today was a typical up 0.1 as I didn't start playing till the 12th. *Sighs* but I digress.

About 18 months ago i was buying new irons which I am happy with, however the urge to,splurge took over me and I also bought a new driver. 10.5d Callawat x2 hot with a regular shaft (was on sale, I was niave and I hit it really well when trying it out) however as I have mentioned before I was having semi regular lessons at the time which I started to increase over the last 6 months and guess what.....

You guessed it I don't swing anyway near like I did 18 months ago (or use range balls when on the course) so now my drives start of straight, long looking and then they balloon and die in mid air.( most of the time) I assuming that there is something wrong in the set up but it could be shaft, head, both and so am thinking about getting properly fitted for a Driver.

So my question is has anyone been fitted for a driver, did it make a difference and if so those Edinburgh based posters, can you recommend anywhere. I see Scott Gourlay fitting has good reviews.

I also don't like the idea of telling the missus I need a new driver is you guys recommend fitting.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Club Fitting, The driver and buyers remorse Empty Re: Club Fitting, The driver and buyers remorse

Post by George1507 Tue 05 Apr 2016, 8:19 am

It sounds as though the driver isn't right for you. With regard to the head, well that's largely down to personal taste. If the loft is roughly right, then it should be ok. If the ball flight is wrong (straight, but too high or low) then it's likely to be the shaft.

The two key issues with the shaft are the flex, and the kick point (or launch point). Shafts these days seem to offer low, medium and high launch angles. It's quite noticeable how they differ. If the shaft in your driver is high launch, and you are high ball hitter anyway, then you may have the cause right there.

Mark Patchett at Broomieknowe is pretty good. He's got quite a lot of good technology to help and plenty of shafts and heads so you can get it just right. He's a patient guy too.

One more thing - presumably you are not basing your comments on recently hitting on a practice ground into a 30mph headwind. The air is still cold, the ground is still wet, and you'll probably be wearing at least three layers of clothing. Don't take too much notice of what's happening to your shots until the weather improves a bit. It's been a very cool spring so far, and after a wet winter, it's amazing how many people are despondent about their golf. You can't expect to hit it miles in cool, damp air or hit crisp iron shots off soggy fairways or putt well on greens that look like Ryvitas.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Club Fitting, The driver and buyers remorse Empty Re: Club Fitting, The driver and buyers remorse

Post by McLaren Tue 05 Apr 2016, 9:58 am

I have never had a driver custom fitted so can offer no advice. What I would like to know is how much yardage could I hope to gain if I did bother to get custom fitted?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 05 Apr 2016, 10:05 am

Mac, from custom fitting you'd probably be looking more at a tighter dispersion than distance gain.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 05 Apr 2016, 6:50 pm

You may find some distance gain Mac, but if the gain is more than about 10 yards then it's likely your present clubs are not suited to you at all. SR is right - you will find a much tighter dispersion.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Tue 05 Apr 2016, 6:58 pm

Thanks for the advice George.

Its something i have noticed for a few months even in no wind.

May be worth looking into it then for birthday in June, that way have a few hotter (marginally warmer) months to see if anything changes.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down