The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

+33
sportform
John Cregan
4putt
Good Golly I'm Olly
owen10ozzy
NedB-H
Jermaine2015
JAS
Hero
Mad for Chelsea
Nay
beninho
Snap Hook
Davie
Hibbz
1GrumpyGolfer
Shotrock
pedro
sirbenson
McLaren
MontysMerkin
SmithersJones
raycastleunited
Scottrf
Roller_Coaster
skiddy
GPB
super_realist
Bob_the_Job
hend085
LadyPutt
I'm never wrong
kwinigolfer
37 posters

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 05 Apr 2016, 3:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

(One of our regular golf posters frequently writes amazing articles on the major events going on in the golfing world. v2 poster McLaren has suggested that as The Masters is underway, that you might all want to share in the debate - Enjoy!
Adam D)

Kwinigolfer wrote:

1).When has there ever been a Masters when so many top golfers came to Augusta at the peak of their form, or very close to it? The field of 89 may be the smallest for 14 years, and at least 20 amateurs or ceremonial entrants are irrelevant, but cases could easily be made for dozens of others, strong cases for at least a dozen.

2).I watched an old BBC documentary last night about the music and life of the great Ronnie Lane, and Kenney Jones came up with an especially bon mot that surely also seems to apply to writers talking about The Masters. Talking about speaking by phone to a dying Ronnie in Colorado, Kenney said words to the effect of:
"Ronnie, I know you can't talk to me so I'm going to ask questions that I think you'd ask me, and then I'll answer them." Brilliant. Apparently Ronnie was lying there in hysterics!
But isn't that just like writers, and especially "tourists" from other sports, regurgitating the same old stories about the same old stars? The same old Rory this, Jordan that, Jason the other, rhetorical crap??

3).First, the field. Should it be even smaller, eliminating the seniors and amateurs? Not in my book, with some caveats. Some of the amateur qualifications might seem a tad/lot contrived, but I like the Past Champion exemption, so long as there's some performance criteria attached - even if it's five strikes (missed cuts in a row) and you're out. Celebrating Past Champions is part of the appeal to the "patrons"; this year's Rounds 1 & 2 will be a lovefest for Tom Watson. Perhaps O'Meara and Mize, Lyle and Woosie will stay at home soon but you can see the likes of Couples, Langer and Vijay playing until they get kicked out.
Next year the 2016 Olympic winner will also be exempt, as he will be for all four Majors.

4).Who would you include in the Field to make it more competitive? I would say Pieters has a strong case, but he's about the only one. Aussie Open Champ Matt Jones should be there, and he would have been if he hadn't pretty much tanked the past few months, so no sympathy there. Any others?

5).Unluckiest guy not to be competing is surely David Clark. Carried Adam Scott's bag to his most successful run for two or three years but shoved aside for Steve Williams in the Majors.

6).Who do you fancy? I'll look beyond the Top Three. Just something about Jason Day but wouldn't be shocked if he ran away like Spieth did last year.
Spieth doesn't seem quite at ease with his game and would be surprised if he wins here again, this year anyway.
And Rory (hole in one on #16 yesterday!) seems a bit Sergio-like right now; just when he looks like he's moving into top gear, he hits a mental speed bump of sorts, plus his putting has been unconvincing, to say the least. His stroke looks OK so does he just have trouble reading greens, even with that laser surgery?

7).Continental Europe hasn't seen a Masters winner for almost twenty years and I can't see that changing, much as I'd like to see Stenson win the Major he perhaps deserves. The head-cover is coming off Henrik's driver this week so that's a welcome(?) tactical switch.
And GB&I are lacking convincing form, tho' Casey and Rose seem to reserve some of their best weeks for Augusta.
The Asian contingent could surprise but question marks against their best players persist: Matsuyma's putting, Ben An's neck (he reckons he hasn't hit full shots since w/d'ing from his WGC Match vs Cabrera Bello).

8).Branden Grace had a fabulous season last year, but he's missed his past two Masters cuts and doesn't seem to be in top form just yet. But Oosthuizen and Schwartzel have been flying and both seem great each way bets.
Interesting that Phil Mickelson has overtaken Woods as leading Masters money winner; can Phil's chances ever be dismissed here? In decent form all year and certainly in my top five, along with Bubba. Rickie Fowler is a popular choice in the US media but I'll look past him and prefer Dustin Johnson and Snedeker as well as Bubba among the Americans. (No American under the age of 35 has won a PGA Tournament since Spieth three months ago in Hawaii, other than Finau in the opposite field event anyhow.)

9).Which leaves Adam Scott; one month ago no-one was playing better than Scott & Watson, and even with Excitable Boy bagman Williams keeping him company rather than the calming influence of Clark, I like Adam Scott a lot. Top Five then for moi with PP odds (e.w. paying top 7!):
Scott (11/1), Watson (11/1), Mickelson (18/1), Oosthuizen (33/1), Schwartzel (35/1). Rose top Brit, Kisner top rookie and Snedeker best outsider (55/1). Regional loyalties compel the choice of Derek Bard as leading amateur.    

10).The Masters throws up some surprising groupings and it's a shame that they haven't taken advantage of the smaller field to send them out in pairs for Rounds 1 & 2.
Who do you think they'll send out with Tom Watson? Snedeker perhaps, and a youngster would be my guess.
One of the most anticipated groupings of recent years was: Who will be playing with Woods following his Mississippi rehab in 2010? Do you remember who they chose??
For the next five days I'll accept The Masters for what it is and enjoy the action; chance of rain on Thursday and cool and breezy every day thru Saturday. Perfect forecast for Sunday and I can't wait. Enjoy!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 10 Apr 2016, 10:47 pm

Westwood! Get in!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 10 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters - Never Mind The Width, Feel The Quality: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 10:47 pm

I'm now not going to bed!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 10:47 pm

Lee Westwood :bounce:
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 10 Apr 2016, 10:48 pm

Amen

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 10:48 pm

Would it be better if Willett and Westwood didn't see the leaderboard on 16?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 10 Apr 2016, 10:50 pm

McLaren wrote:Would it be better if Willett and Westwood didn't see the leaderboard on 16?
Yup....but they will.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 10 Apr 2016, 10:50 pm

Westy can't chip. We all know that.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sun 10 Apr 2016, 10:50 pm

I'm not going to bed now either!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 10 Apr 2016, 10:51 pm

I had to pop out earlier, consoled myself with the old cliche about the Masters only starting on the back 9 on Sunday. Never been truer!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 10 Apr 2016, 10:52 pm

Spieth through the trees...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 10:58 pm

Dustin must be on the bolivian..

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:00 pm

Get in there Danny!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:01 pm

It looked like DJ had hit a casual 9 iron to lay up and the next thing you know it had been long iron onto the green. Crazy shot.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:02 pm

Good old Lee

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:07 pm

Not going to be easy from there...

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:09 pm

Spieth gets a bounce out the trees...has he got someone kicking for him?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:10 pm

Another lucky bounce for Spieth.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:10 pm

Speith could still win this, his luck seems to have continued on 14 with a huge kick out, he could well finish 4,4,2,4,3
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:11 pm

beninho wrote:Spieth gets a bounce out the trees...has he got someone kicking for him?

It is getting ridiculous how lucky he has been hitting it into the tress.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:12 pm

Fabulous shot from Willett.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:13 pm

McLaren wrote:
beninho wrote:Spieth gets a bounce out the trees...has he got someone kicking for him?

It is getting ridiculous how lucky he has been hitting it into the tress.
:yawn:

Just goes to show how good he might have been if he could hit a tee shot for toffee this week maybe?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:14 pm

Great up-and-down from Willett.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:17 pm

Par on 18 should win it for willett.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:18 pm

Got the tee shot out the way despite the distractions.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:18 pm

6 over in 3 holes. I can see the similarities between me and jordan now..

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:19 pm

Great shot danny.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:20 pm

This could and maybe should have been rorys

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:21 pm

Go Danny!!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:23 pm

DJ in the green side bunker on 17. Could that be another one dodged for Danny?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:25 pm

Great little kick for Danny. Unless he suddenly develops hands of stone he should post -5 at worst

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:25 pm

It's danny or jordan

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:25 pm

DJ messes up! Smile
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:26 pm

How forced will it be jordan giving danny the green jacket

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:26 pm

Jordan getting a little antsy over this drop,

DJ with the hands of stone on 17

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:27 pm

Pitch shot over water for Jordan. This could be interesting....

Reckon he puts it over the green this time.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:27 pm

Will a top 5 get Westwood into any other majors this year?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:29 pm

Way to go after it Danny!

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:29 pm

beninho wrote:How forced will it be jordan giving danny the green jacket
Not at all I would think. Nothing about Spieth suggests he's anything but a decent guy. He's not out of it yet either...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:30 pm

Where was that one on 12 Jordan?

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:31 pm

Well done Danny. Now go stick pins in your Jordan and DJ voodoo dolls

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:33 pm

Great round by Willett. Now let's see what Spieth has left in the locker?
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:33 pm

That's DJ done. Now Jordan.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:34 pm

It's not over yet.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:39 pm

He's still got the drives on #17 & #18, and that's been a big problem . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:45 pm

Chubby Chandler looks like he might not survive the party . . . . . . . . Ale Ale Ale Ale Ale Ale Ale Ale Ale

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:46 pm

Dustin will win a major sooner or later.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:47 pm

Didn't realise Chubby was Willett's father-in-law.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:47 pm

pedro wrote:Dustin will win a major sooner or later.

Just after Westwood.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:50 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
pedro wrote:Dustin will win a major sooner or later.

Just after Westwood.
Laugh Indeed. Scar tissue building up for DJ now maybe?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 10 Apr 2016, 11:52 pm

Is it too late for Spieth to go on the clock?

1.5 holes behind the group in front.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next