The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Round 20

+23
kingelderfield
Welly
Rugby Fan
GLove39
mikey_dragon
Bathite
lostinwales
nathan
Heaf
bluestonevedder
No 7&1/2
Scottrf
WELL-PAST-IT
doctor_grey
beshocked
HongKongCherry
yappysnap
Sgt_Pooly
king_carlos
formerly known as Sam
Ozzy3213
Geordie
LondonTiger
27 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 20 - Page 2 Empty Aviva Premiership - Round 20

Post by LondonTiger Tue 12 Apr 2016, 10:48 am

First topic message reminder :

Table

Aviva Premiership - Round 20 - Page 2 Table10

Fixtures

Fri 15th Apr 16
19:45 Gloucester Rugby  v   Exeter Chiefs Kingsholm BT Sport

Sat 16th Apr 16

15:00 Worcester Warriors  v   Wasps Sixways
15:15 Saracens  v   Harlequins Wembley Stadium BT Sport
17:30 Northampton Saints  v  Leicester Tigers Franklin's Gardens BT Sport

Sun 17th Apr 16
14:30 Sale Sharks  v   Bath Rugby AJ Bell Stadium
15:00 Newcastle Falcons  v   London Irish   Kingston Park BT Sport

Previews

The weekend starts with Exeter, fresh from the agonising defeat in Europe travelling to Kingsholm with their hosts in a horrendous run of form. With a misfiring lineout, a scrum that is creaking and most of the star backs injured, Gloucester look certain to extend their losing streak and heap the pressure onto DoR Humphreys as he fights to keep his job. I was going to say something fatuous like "sport always has the capacity for an upset" but you know what, with Exeter needing the win to keep ahead of Wasps, I fully expect us to see a plethora of maul drives and more tries for Waldrom. Exeter with a TBP

Speaking of Wasps, they travel to Sixfields to face a team with nothing to play for. When fired up Worcester can be highly combative and possess real threat in their largely antipodean backline. However when not fully focused they can be torn apart. I expect to see the latter and a big win for Wasps.

Sarries and Quins meet at Wembley knowing that despite winning at the weekend, both were guilty of extremely sloppy play and were a long way from their best. Quins have tended to struggle a little with Sarries style, and with McCall and Sanderson probably having fired several grenades up the Sarries players arses in training there is no reason to expect a break from the trend. Quins need the win to stay in play-off contention, but lack a controlling presence at 10 to combat the feociousness we can expect from Sarries. Win for the champions, but maybe not a TBP.

For once the Est Midlands derby is not the biggest game of the weekend, however as usual still huge amounts riding on this match. Saints simply have to win else there season is as good as over. Tigers know they can afford to lose and still have the play-offs in their own hands (unless Saints get the TBP and Tigers nothing) but will be desperate to do the double over their now second closest rivals. Saints will know that they let themselves down at the weekend, when a strangely lacklustre Sarries were ripe for picking, but their fate may rest in just how many players they can bring back in, and whether Jim Mallinder has the balls to trust his son. Scrums will be interesting as at times both sides struggled at the weekend.

With Sale losing to Montpelier at the weekend, their trip to Bath has been re-arranged a second time and will now be held on 23rd April rater than this Wednesday. Perhaps makes this particular fixture slightly less interesting, but better that there is not a 3 day turnaround. Sale can still make the top 4, but need to win both matches against Bath to stay in the running, while bath need to win both just to putthe pressure on for Top 6. On current form Sale should win this one.

And to the big one. The crunch relegation game with Irish travelling to the North East. Both teams have been seriously misfiring and I doubt anyone would be willing to stake money on how this game will go.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 20 - Page 2 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 20

Post by Geordie Fri 15 Apr 2016, 12:25 pm

Very disappointed to see Michael Young starting over Tukulua!

I can see me losing my voice as per usual screaming at him to STOP KICKING!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 15 Apr 2016, 12:33 pm

Londontiger yep that's legitimate.

No Barritt,Itoje,George and Wigglesworth on the bench. Mako Was probably one of the next in line.

Yappysnap nice backrow though I'll be disappointed if Saracens can't squeeze that front five into submission.

Hodgson hasn't started for a while but if he has a good game he could well orchestrate a big win.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 15 Apr 2016, 12:42 pm

I get the feeling we're focussed on Grenoble next week, if we are and we're not switched on against Saracens then we could get hammered.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 15 Apr 2016, 12:46 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Very disappointed to see Michael Young starting over Tukulua!

You better be loud GF as we'll all be shouting for him to kick, especially to Lewington's wing! Wink
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 15 Apr 2016, 12:59 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Very disappointed to see Michael Young starting over Tukulua!

You better be loud GF as we'll all be shouting for him to kick, especially to Lewington's wing! Wink

Sad thing is, you wont need to tell him...its his default mode.

"Oh look I have the ball...I know ill kick it away"

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 15 Apr 2016, 2:30 pm

A bit of good news-bad news for the weekend.
Good news is I will be home from work in time to sit down, pour a pint, and watch Gloucester-Exeter this afternoon.
Bad news is I can't watch Saints live tomorrow.
Good news is I am feeling strong and fit enough to play Rugby on Saturday which is why I can't watch Saints live.
Bad news is I am lying like a politician in heat to myself and anyone who will listen. I actually feel like sh!t, but want to play with my son.
Good news is he has strength, speed, skill, brains and good looks.
Bad news is I come up a wee bit short on all those points.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 15 Apr 2016, 2:34 pm

Very Happy

Surely you do yourself a disservice doc. You surely passed on at least one of the looks or brains?!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 15 Apr 2016, 2:38 pm

So these good looks.

Has he inherited them from his mother? If so kudos on punching above your weight.

or

Like Prince Harry has he inherited his looks from his father Run

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 15 Apr 2016, 2:45 pm

doctor_grey wrote:A bit of good news-bad news for the weekend.  
Good news is I will be home from work in time to sit down, pour a pint, and watch Gloucester-Exeter this afternoon.  
Good news is I am feeling strong and fit enough to play Rugby on Saturday which is why I can't watch Saints live.
Bad news is I am lying like a politician in heat to myself and anyone who will listen.  I actually feel like sh!t, but want to play with my son.

Must be so great to share the field with your son- what an experience! I hope to do the same one day.

What position do you both play?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 15 Apr 2016, 2:47 pm

Scottrf wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Who will play SH for Saints if Kessell has to leave the pitch?
Hanrahan? Mallinder? Who knows.

Collins? He is the only one that is about the right size, it would be interesting to see him convert, Saints have plenty of wings and wing cover, his pace at 9 would make Care look slow.

Why Mallinder Snr cannot have faith in his offspring I do not know. The only time Saints backline has worked all season is with Prince Harry at 12 and Burrell at 13. The Burrell- Pisi paring has failed all season. He seems to want to play HRH out of position, he is a centre that can cover FB and wing. He drops him to the bench every time there is a big game.

I am beginning to think he has a touch of Lancasteritus and is getting a bit stale, perhaps a change would benefit everyone.

I have amended you post to suit myself Doc:

"by doctor_grey on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:30 am

Good news is I will be home from work in time to sit down, pour a pint, and watch Gloucester-Exeter this afternoon
Bad Good news is I can't watch Saints live tomorrow.
Good Bad news is I am not feeling strong and fit enough to play Rugby on Saturday which is why I can watch Saints live.
Bad news is I am not lying like a politician in heat to myself and anyone who will listen. I actually feel like sh!t, but want to play with my son
Good news is that I have strength, speed, skill, brains and good looks.
Bad news is I am not lying like a politician in heat  I come up a wee bit short on all those points., except the short bit, I have never been short, I was tall at birth.

LT, he certainly didn't get the height from him, must have a tall mother/milkman
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 15 Apr 2016, 2:49 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
Bad news is I am lying like a politician in heat to myself and anyone who will listen.  I actually feel like sh!t, but want to play with my son.

Must be so great to share the field with your son- what an experience! I hope to do the same one day.

Got a touch of Beckhamitus Doc?
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 15 Apr 2016, 7:13 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:London Irish:

15 Sean Maitland, 14 Alex Lewington, 13 Ciaran Hearn, 12 Johnny Williams, 11 Andrew Fenby, 10 Greig Tonks, 9 Scott Steele, 1 Tom Court, 2 David Paice, 3 Halani Aulika, 4 Will Lloyd, 5 Matt Symons, 6 Jebb Sinclair, 7 Blair Cowan, 8 Luke Narraway (c)

Replacements: 16 Tom Cruse, 17 Tom Smallbone, 18 Leo Halavatau, 19 Jerry Sexton, 20 Ofisa Treviranus, 21 Brendan McKibbin, 22 Shane Geraghty, 23 Aseli Tikoirotuma  
No Franks Sad

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 15 Apr 2016, 8:03 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Very Happy

Surely you do yourself a disservice doc. You surely passed on at least one of the looks or brains?!
LondonTiger wrote:So these good looks.

Has he inherited them from his mother? If so kudos on punching above your weight.

or

Like Prince Harry has he inherited his looks from his father Run
All from my wife. Without the slightest doubt in the world.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 15 Apr 2016, 8:07 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:

It's phenomenal. We both play in the centres, although I go flank when I can't run as much. Someone took a great pic of my son feeding me the ball two weeks ago. He looks calm and relaxed with a hint of a smile. I look constipated wiith a hint of cardiac arrest..........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 15 Apr 2016, 8:12 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Who will play SH for Saints if Kessell has to leave the pitch?
Hanrahan? Mallinder? Who knows.

Collins? He is the only one that is about the right size, it would be interesting to see him convert, Saints have plenty of wings and wing cover, his pace at 9 would make Care look slow.

Why Mallinder Snr cannot have faith in his offspring I do not know. The only time Saints backline has worked all season is with Prince Harry at 12 and Burrell at 13. The Burrell- Pisi paring has failed all season. He seems to want to play HRH out of position, he is a centre that can cover FB and wing. He drops him to the bench every time there is a big game.

I am beginning to think he has a touch of Lancasteritus and is getting a bit stale, perhaps a change would benefit everyone.

I have amended you post to suit myself Doc:

"by doctor_grey on Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:30 am

Good news is I will be home from work in time to sit down, pour a pint, and watch Gloucester-Exeter this afternoon
Bad Good news is I can't watch Saints live tomorrow.
Good Bad news is I am not feeling strong and fit enough to play Rugby on Saturday which is why I can watch Saints live.
Bad news is I am not lying like a politician in heat to myself and anyone who will listen. I actually feel like sh!t, but want to play with my son
Good news is that I have strength, speed, skill, brains and good looks.
Bad news is I am not lying like a politician in heat  I come up a wee bit short on all those points., except the short bit, I have never been short, I was tall at birth.

LT, he certainly didn't get the height from him, must have a tall mother/milkman
Too funny..........

Foden is the ultra back-up scrum half and usually takes a few turns in team workouts.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 15 Apr 2016, 8:13 pm

doctor_grey wrote:He looks calm and relaxed with a hint of a smile.  I look constipated wiith a hint of cardiac arrest..........

Laugh Laugh Sounds like the difference between Slade and Barritt when they try to throw a five yard pass of their weaker hand...

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 15 Apr 2016, 9:26 pm

Hmmmm, I'm sure laid law played that on the floor

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 15 Apr 2016, 9:27 pm

Silly ball drop!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 15 Apr 2016, 9:53 pm

Baxter will be thinking that on hindsight he should have rotated the side and rested a few players. Some of the Exeter boys were really flagging in that second half and there was some talent on the bench that could have started.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 15 Apr 2016, 10:06 pm

Ignore "letter of the law", should Nowell really have been binned?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 15 Apr 2016, 10:37 pm

Nope. Penalty at the most for me.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 16 Apr 2016, 6:22 am

Had to stop watching at half time, were any points scored in the end??

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 16 Apr 2016, 10:12 am

Second half was marginally better to watch but that was no advert for rugby.

The sun's out today though so hoping the East Midlands derby will be a cracker. Rain overnight was quite heavy though so it'll be soft underfoot. Manu vs Burrell in the centres will be an interesting one with both desperate to catch the eye of Eddie Jones, despite firing his tactical rocket mid week is probably very happy with how Manu left Danty trailing in his wake last weekend.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:11 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Second half was marginally better to watch but that was no advert for rugby.

The sun's out today though so hoping the East Midlands derby will be a cracker. Rain overnight was quite heavy though so it'll be soft underfoot. Manu vs Burrell in the centres will be an interesting one with both desperate to catch the eye of Eddie Jones, despite firing his tactical rocket mid week is probably very happy with how Manu left Danty trailing in his wake last weekend.

Manu looks chubby and unfit, and yet he's scoring tries for fun and seeming to play smarter than he did before with good passing and offloads. Its great to see him back

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:33 pm

Burrell can't hold a candle to Manu and he's playing alongside Pisi who doesn't compliment him. Only one winner there.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat 16 Apr 2016, 12:52 pm

I don't know what the matter is with you lot, last night's game was a thing of beauty Wink

HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Sat 16 Apr 2016, 3:32 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
Scottrf wrote:My guess is neither Dickson nor North play. Collins definitely wont, he played last night.

Khan just doesn't offer quick enough delivery, by the time he has had a chat with the ref, decided the ball is a couple of inches too far into the ruck, tested the wind AND THEN, looked to see who is available, the defence is set, only when he tries a break, gets caught and someone like Waller acts as a 9 do we get quick ball
That is funny - but true.  I actually never thought of it before, but you are right on the money- when Khan is our 9, most of the better attacks come when he was sucked into a ruck and someone else is getting the ball out.  To be fair, he does read the game well (he takes a God-awful amount of time to do so) and his judgement is pretty good.  He kicks well, but is just.....glacial (I heard the term glacial in the OR this morning and wanted to use it somewhere before I forgot).  And he still has that annoying arrogance that all good scrum halves must have to be successful.  

You guys hearing that Kahn is off to Bath next year? Few people chatting about it on our board.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 16 Apr 2016, 3:43 pm

I have heard those reports. It's a shame if true, he's a talented player but we've wasted him and I can see why he'd want to move.

Wigglesworth reffing the derby game, AP are horrible at picking refs for Saints vs Tigers. You don't want someone who enjoys penalising every little offense.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 3:50 pm

Oh dear Care

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 16 Apr 2016, 3:56 pm

Bathite wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
Scottrf wrote:My guess is neither Dickson nor North play. Collins definitely wont, he played last night.

Khan just doesn't offer quick enough delivery, by the time he has had a chat with the ref, decided the ball is a couple of inches too far into the ruck, tested the wind AND THEN, looked to see who is available, the defence is set, only when he tries a break, gets caught and someone like Waller acts as a 9 do we get quick ball
That is funny - but true.  I actually never thought of it before, but you are right on the money- when Khan is our 9, most of the better attacks come when he was sucked into a ruck and someone else is getting the ball out.  To be fair, he does read the game well (he takes a God-awful amount of time to do so) and his judgement is pretty good.  He kicks well, but is just.....glacial (I heard the term glacial in the OR this morning and wanted to use it somewhere before I forgot).  And he still has that annoying arrogance that all good scrum halves must have to be successful.  

You guys hearing that Kahn is off to Bath next year? Few people chatting about it on our board.
Scottrf wrote:I have heard those reports. It's a shame if true, he's a talented player but we've wasted him and I can see why he'd want to move.

Wigglesworth reffing the derby game, AP are horrible at picking refs for Saints vs Tigers. You don't want someone who enjoys penalising every little offense.
Someone mentioned it only as a rumour the other day. Guess I am not too surprised. He was signed for some pretty big money at Saints and I'm not sure either he or Saints were really satisfied.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 4:02 pm

Care having a bit of a mare today

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 4:03 pm

Why are they checking that, jeez let the game carry on

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 16 Apr 2016, 4:24 pm

How often does a play score 6 tries in a single game then?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 16 Apr 2016, 4:26 pm

6 tires from Wade Shocked Shocked Shocked

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 16 Apr 2016, 4:27 pm

Yeah, does he even an opposite number...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 4:31 pm

Goode having another decent game. Not so long ago, I would have happily left him out of my England thinking but he's making the best possible case for a start.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 16 Apr 2016, 4:32 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Yeah, does he even an opposite number...

this chap
Aviva Premiership - Round 20 - Page 2 813s-Hl2d9L._SY355_

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 4:55 pm

Cares having a game to forget, box kicking has been awful

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 4:56 pm

Quins are soooo slow today, really unlike them

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 4:58 pm

Not liking the barcode on the front of quins shirt, it's almost as bad as the tigers orange kit

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 5:01 pm

Good game from bully today

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 5:20 pm

I can see Saint winning this

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 16 Apr 2016, 5:32 pm

Here we go
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 5:34 pm

Good luck wpi

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 5:34 pm

All a bit messy

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 5:46 pm

Come on!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 5:50 pm

Clearly not on his feet!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 6:01 pm

Saints have their tails up now....

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 16 Apr 2016, 6:02 pm

As usual our defence looks shocking with only one open side player on the park. Fonua isn't what we needed, where's Evans?

Northampton however, are happy to shoot themselves in the foot again. No blindside defence allows Thacker to dance over from halfway and then Burrell gets hits behind the gain line and throws a panic pas straight to Goneva. Great tackle by Burns on Burrell though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 16 Apr 2016, 6:02 pm

Spoke to soon!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next