The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Level 2 and 3 Personal training courses

5 posters

Go down

Level 2 and 3 Personal training courses Empty Level 2 and 3 Personal training courses

Post by rodders Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi does anyone in here work in personal training and if so any feedback on these courses?

These are entry level courses for gym instructing in the UK is that correct?

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Level 2 and 3 Personal training courses Empty Re: Level 2 and 3 Personal training courses

Post by AdamT Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:15 pm

They are mate. I haven't got much information on them, but they are a good qualification for any instructor or pt.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Level 2 and 3 Personal training courses Empty Re: Level 2 and 3 Personal training courses

Post by rodders Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:43 am

Thanks for the reply - yeah I thought so, they seem a bit pricey to do so just wanted to check if anyone felt they were worth it but I suppose you have to put some skin in the game...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:47 am

I have toyed with he idea before. I think it's worth it. Some guys I know, do a bit of personal training on the side. They love it and make decent money to help their income.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:01 am

Nice one, I think you are right.... any reason you didn't go ahead with it yourself then?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:09 am

I just had a new born in 2014. Probably due to that and laziness. I remember wanting to do it 8 or 9 years ago, but the course was all booked. I might get around to doing it.

I have always been into health and fitness. It would be a decent qualification to have. Lots of health centres also require part time and casual staff, if you're never looking to go full time.

It would also be good to learn about the human body and all the fitness knowledge. There is so much knowledge on muscles, bones and body types to be gained. And of course nutrition. I also think the course would be interesting.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:27 am

Ah yeah fair enough I had a wee one in 2013 too, so that is enough to be focusing on for a while for sure! Smile

There's plenty of time for these things but yeah looks like a good thing to do.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:29 am

I have to sneak off to the gym. Or little man will be out after me Smile

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:32 am

You mean you haven't got him spotting you yet?? Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:35 am

Not quite yet. He is watching boxing, football and even darts now. Well trained.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:56 pm

Edging my way to a physio degree now as my second go at this degree thing. Might look into PT once done. Pays well if you have the clients
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:12 pm

kingraf wrote:Edging my way to a physio degree now as my second go at this degree thing. Might look into PT once done. Pays well if you have the clients

I know a fella who opened his own gym. Plenty of members and classes on. He rarely does or needs to do one on one pt training now.

On the other hand I know a strength/conditioning coach who has worked with a few pro boxers/mma fighters. Also a professional rugby team. I think his services are £40 an hour. That is actually a bargain, because this guy has travelled all around for the best knowledge available. He also owns his own gym and makes a tidy income with group sessions.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:19 pm

Yea thats another thing I was trying to find out, whether you can become accredited S&C coach without these or are these pre reqs?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:29 pm

rodders wrote:Yea thats another thing I was trying to find out, whether you can become accredited S&C coach without these or are these pre reqs?

That I am unsure of. I would love to be a strength and conditioning coach.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:32 pm

You can't become a personal trainer without your L3, no gym will hire you. Some are only hiring L4 PTs now as well, due to the amount of quick pass courses that are available in the UK.

I solely do PT, and have been since August and I'm just starting to make decent money. Worth doing if you have the patience and the ability to build a business, don't forget about your overheads though. I pay £400 a month rent at my place, and I know of local gyms which charge more.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:52 pm

Paul you should post here more often. You obviously have knowledge and the paperwork to back it up.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:47 pm

Rarely get chance to come on here at all these days Adam, will try and offer by 50p's worth though.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:11 am

Nice one - so in terms of working at some of these commercial gyms, how does that actually work if you want to do your own private stuff?

Is it usually commission based - i.e. they take a percentage or do you have to pay a flat rate or does it vary?

My plan is to combine P/T with some sport specific coaching I do but not sure how feasible this would be without owning your own gym premises?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:37 pm

You've got to think of your demographic Rodders, is there a market in your area for sport specific coaching? If so, how saturated is that market and what is your unique selling point? If there isn't a market for that kind of coaching then honestly it's not worth your time and money unless you are willing to move. Myself for example I focus mainly on weight loss, it's what my demographic is and honestly 90% of gym goers have this as their main goal.

I have genuinely found that one of my most successful USPs is when I offer to take a new client shopping, do a healthy shop and go through recipes with them. It's amazing how many people find that helpful.

Regarding how the gym works, everything I earn from clients is mine. I pay a flat £400 a month to Pure Gym, and a one off payment of £240 a year licence fee.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:59 pm

Yea sorry maybe that came across wrong.

There is a demographic for the sports specific stuff, which at the minute is not gym based, just maybe not enough to do full time.

I want to combine this with being able to prescribe more general fitness training and programs which is my motivation for doing the PT qualifications.

If I was able to do a few hours a week gym based PT with clients initially it would be worth the cost I think.

My two reservations at the minute are will these qualify me to do this and is it difficult/costly to be able to PT in a commercial gym - say one of the chains.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for the advice.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Yeah I get what you mean, I think you may need to get up to L4 to really be taken seriously its the sport specific stuff and get your strength and conditioning course done but you'll need L2 and L3 before you do that. Most people who do sports specific training are L4 and have a degree in sports science and biomechanics, well they do around my area anyway.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:08 pm

Thanks that is very useful. I actually have a Sport Science degree already although about 10 years old so only now beginning to use it!

I see your comment about Pure Gym - did you train with them or does that matter?

The flat rate is irrespective of how many hours you do there I presume and do you have to work exclusively there do you mind me asking?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:12 pm

I did my training through the training room, however Pure Gym are now offering the L2 and L3 qualification in house, check out their Facebook page for more info dude. The £400 is a flat rate, so I know I have to earn that as a minimum each month, paying that means I don't have to give the gym any of my time so I purely PT and don't run any classes which suits me down to the ground.

You don't have to work there exclusively, but remember you're paying rent plus most other gyms DW, Total Fitness for example will also want either rent or hours (sometimes both) if you work there so it can be beneficial to start at just the one gym, and then for your sports specific try and find a private gym, doing that tends to give you access to more equipment that most commercial gyms won't have.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:16 pm

Great advice Paul, thanks - I did see that at Pure Gym but was also looking at another place who do it distance learning. Will shop around though and definitely will move forward with it...

That Adam fella is right you should post here more! Very Happy
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:12 pm

Have a look at these guys mate, they'll also do your L4. I'd also recommend listening to some podcasts by Ben Coomber and Phil Learney, those guys are amazing and well worth your time. 

https://focus-training.com/courses/

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:08 am

Thanks will check that out too. Had a look at pure gym too, seems like good value for the L1/2 plus 5 cpd courses they are offering.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:03 pm

Admire anybody that loves fitness and wants to help others attain the shape, size and esteem they require..

However personal training is a vocation that is very difficult to earn money in......Credibility of certification is a problem lots of unqualified types diluting the drink......There aren't as many clients out there as you think......Most people just go to classes.....Need to have very good PR skills with a good method of putting points across and a very very close grasp of technique.....Someone slips a disc and you're F**ked..

Not trying to dissuade anybody from pursuing a dream...You only live once so go for it !!..and there are those who have big houses and fast cars...

But remember its not easy...Don't go in with your eyes closed..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Why are you in trouble if someone slips a disc Truss? I know a trainer who's client lost their balance doing a lunge and tore their ligaments, they're not in trouble and it hasn't put potential clients off either. As long as you're not doing something stupid, and the exercise is safe then there are no issues.

As for it not being easy, what business is? Can't imagine anybody going in to self employment anticipates an easy ride, but to add to your point, Rodders expect to work 10-15 hour days at the start with little reward, you'll be building your brand and educating yourself in everything you can but it will pay off.

Regarding there not being many client, as most people go to classes. Remember you don't need 90 clients, if have 20 clients I can make £3K per month, perfectly comfortable living wage for my area. In my gym we have just under 5000 members and 48% of those said they would be interested in PT when they joined, plenty of clients once you know your angle and how to advertise yourself.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:04 pm

Mate it's a very hard business to crack........Very few personal trainers make good money.....Hate to say it but it is a fact..

I've seen personal trainers teaching awful form in my time....Especially on exercises like Squats..I imagine they are liable....Not a personal trainer myself...Wouldn't have the patience..

For sure I expect being self employed/running a business no doubt isn't easy.......I'm lucky/unlucky enough never to have never been self employed.....But it isn't a great success rate..

Not pooing pooing having a go but feedback and articles do tend to show there are a high rate of qualified trainers doing more menial work to make a living..

But have a go by all means.....Like I said you only live once....

Just keep your eyes open going in..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:07 pm

Like any industry Truss, the cream rises to the top. If you're the type of person who once they've got the L3 doesn't want to learn any more then you'll be out of a job within 6 months. Me personally, I signed on with Phil Learney, one of the best in the industry to mentor me, all about setting yourself up to succeed.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:15 pm

That's just not true and you know it...

The cream doesn't always rise to the top in any industry.......Backing, contacts, timing and luck always play a part...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:18 pm

It is very true within the fitness industry, talking as someone who is in it at present. As I said, I know I can make more money than most doing this in my area, the main reason people drop out of the industry has little to do with number of potential clients...it's the shock at how hard it is at the beginning. I put that down to their inability to prepare.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:37 pm

Your experience is your own mate and credit to you........I'm talking of a wider malaise in the industry..

We'd all like to think the cream rises when we do well.......I have a good job but that was more down to who I married..

Hope you continue being succesful..

Are you exclusive to one gym....Or do you meet clients in various gyms....

Manchester boy aren't you ??..I might know the gym..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Wrexham mate, currently considering applying to Ultimate Performance in Manchester though. Be a great experience to work somewhere like that.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:40 pm

PaulHv2 wrote:Wrexham mate, currently considering applying to Ultimate Performance in Manchester though. Be a great experience to work somewhere like that.

Good luck and if you do Pm me.......Love to have a workout sometime..

Show you how its done..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down