The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Masters golf TV ratings.

+12
raycastleunited
Sand
golfermartin
George1507
Davie
puligny
SmithersJones
I'm never wrong
McLaren
skiddy
navyblueshorts
davesrighthere
16 posters

Go down

Masters golf TV ratings.  Empty Masters golf TV ratings.

Post by davesrighthere Fri 15 Apr 2016, 8:58 am

Found this yesterday...

Masters golf TV ratings.
BBC 2 got2.5m; Sky Sports only 260k - which must worry big golf cheeses as the British Open moves to Sky this year.

davesrighthere

Back to top Go down

Masters golf TV ratings.  Empty Re: Masters golf TV ratings.

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 15 Apr 2016, 9:09 am

Interesting, if accurate. I don't think the golf big cheeses give a XXXX to be honest. Usual thing though. Expect participation to fall through the floor in the next 10 years or so as all those potential junior players lose the visual glory of watching the Masters or the Open while growing up. Idiots.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by skiddy Fri 15 Apr 2016, 9:46 am

The golf governing body couldnt care less about participation other than talking about it. All they care about is lining their pockets.

skiddy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 15 Apr 2016, 10:27 am

I am pretty sure f1 has the same problem. I think there was a similar discrepancy in the viewing figures between C4 and sky at the recent Bahrain GP, when both were broadcasting live.

It was also the case when BBC and Sky broadcast the same races live that those with the option to watch Sky or BBC tended to choose to watch on the bbc.

It would be interesting if someone could provide some stats on where people tend to watch the Masters coverage when they have both Sky and bbc.

As for the R&A and selling the rights, they basically gave the Open TV rights away for about £10 million. Which may not seem a lot for a sports TV deal but I assume it would be enough to produce a whole season of a crappy dancing with.... show.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 15 Apr 2016, 3:30 pm

I would be more interested to see how the Open compares as regards broadcast time.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 15 Apr 2016, 3:56 pm

The beeb used to do 11 hours a day of the Open - how much do you think Sky could change that, INW?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Fri 15 Apr 2016, 3:58 pm

Ultimately the BBC withdrew from bidding for The Open. They are under immense budget (political) pressure and whether they want to do it or not haven't got the disposable when priorities have to be made. People, we won't know/appreciate what we had until it's gone!!

Just back from 6 weeks in USA - and that is the tv model we are heading for! It's s..t! I currently subscribe to Sky, which costs much more than my licence fee for BBC, but I watch, and listen to far more BBC output. I used to think I was a rational human being! Hey ho!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 15 Apr 2016, 4:10 pm

SmithersJones wrote:The beeb used to do 11 hours a day of the Open - how much do you think Sky could change that, INW?

That 11 hours used to be something like 9am to 8pm.

I'd like to think that Sky will start coverage earlier (first tee times are around 7am I think) - and then I'm sure there will be highlights in the evening for those of us who work during the day. Used to have to wait till around midnight to see any highlights on the Beeb

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 15 Apr 2016, 4:20 pm

puligny wrote:but I watch, and listen to far more BBC output. I used to think I was a rational human being

I dunno, I also watch/listen to far more bbc output. Can I really be part of the rational human being camp? Wink

When the bbc is finally totally destroyed we will be very sorry. As puligny points out you only have to travel to America to find out just how terrible TV can become. If I lived in the US I don't think I would bother to watch regular TV at all.

Davie

Do you really want to see the open live at 7am?

I hope the bbc 5 live coverage matches up ok with the Shy tv output because there is no way I could endure 4 days of listening to the truly terrible sky commentary/pundit team.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri 15 Apr 2016, 4:23 pm

Who in their right mind would choose to watch on Sky when the same thing is on BBC?

Those repetitive adverts drive you to the edge and those lounge suited pundits push you over.

Whoever thought Mark Roe can commentate should be tried for treason.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 15 Apr 2016, 4:31 pm

McLaren wrote:
Davie

Do you really want to see the open live at 7am?

Yes why not? Weekdays I'm always up early and don't leave for work until about 8:15 .. so why not watch an hour or so of the early action given that I won't see much of the rest of it until evening highlights

@George .. the arguments over commentators will never go away. I take your point about the adverts, but when it comes to commentators we'll never have a consensus .. Roe (and others .. Crutchley, Murray etc) may be pretty awful but so were Alliss, Irvine and Brown (IMO)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Fri 15 Apr 2016, 4:41 pm

How many millions have the beeb just shelled out to keep the FA cup? I would rather see the Open and the Masters myself!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Fri 15 Apr 2016, 4:46 pm

GM, I would agree, but it's not the priority. Most of what I pay for Sky goes into football - I don't watch it, but they don't let me choose!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 15 Apr 2016, 5:25 pm

I wonder if the forthcoming Sky Sports Max is something they've had to agree to do in order to boost viewer numbers for key events like the Open?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 15 Apr 2016, 5:28 pm

SmithersJones wrote:The beeb used to do 11 hours a day of the Open - how much do you think Sky could change that, INW?
At least that, but with more on the red button coverage. Selected groups, view particulars holes like the do on the Masters. As other posters have said, first drive to last putt?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 15 Apr 2016, 5:36 pm

Think you always got the last putt, or at least the last significant one. First drive is hardly crucial on a Thursday or Friday, and again one way or another the beeb let you see all the important action on the weekend.

I'm sure Sky will do blanket coverage, and if the Masters is anything to go by they'll have the bulk of the coverage on SS1 and the early and late stuff and highlights on SS4. Be interesting to see where (if) the new Max channel fits in.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 15 Apr 2016, 5:38 pm

And btw, I pay 10 times as much for Sky as I do for BBC, and probably watch/browse/listen in inverse proportions, so add me to the list of irrational idiots!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 15 Apr 2016, 11:08 pm

@george, since you never watched Sky last week, the adverts were kept down to a bare minimum. Roe also wasn't on the coverage at all. Roe is terrible I do agree but so is Alliss now, he has no idea what day it is now.

BBC showed how much they care about golf now by their pathetic Extra day coverage of Open last year and the fact they gave up this year even though they had the rights.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sat 16 Apr 2016, 8:06 am

Sand - the contract with the ANGC determines the amount of advertising space during coverage, as it does the start and finish times, red button coverage etc. Adverts were limited but not by Sky. It's the same in US where there are fewer and shorter breaks than for other tournaments. There is as much to the credit of ANGC about the way the Masters is conducted, as there is to complain about. Over fussy at times, examples of commentators being banned for upsetting the Committee, taking years to allow holes 1-9 to be shown etc. The BBC has been forced, at least to make the choice, it will drop golf. I believe the game will suffer as a consequence, but that's just an opinion. You may well have a different opinion.
I am grateful to Sky. A dedicated sports channel(s) will always show more sport than can be shoe horned I to the BBCs General coverage. Ultimately restricting access to iconic events will damage the core sport. The R&A know that. Their decision is not purely about money, although no doubt they hope in the future that another broadcaster will compete to drive the money up in a way the BBC never could have done. Hey ho!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sun 17 Apr 2016, 12:28 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Interesting, if accurate. I don't think the golf big cheeses give a XXXX to be honest. Usual thing though. Expect participation to fall through the floor in the next 10 years or so as all those potential junior players lose the visual glory of watching the Masters or the Open while growing up. Idiots.

Not sure you can blame the golf big cheeses for the end of the BBC relationship. As already pointed out, the BBC aren't interested in golf. Maybe C4 or C5 would have considered a bid but it's pretty difficult to put a serious bid together to present golf for one week a year when Sky show European and PGA golf EVERY week, and then regularly show Ladies and Seniors too.

Let's do a bit of socio-economic stereo-typing here: the kids who are likely to become potential junior golfers probably have dads who already subscribe to sky sports. Children growing up in families with no interest in golf / sport are unlikely to see the Masters on the telly whatever channel its on or be taken to the golf course.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sun 17 Apr 2016, 12:36 am

George1507 wrote:Who in their right mind would choose to watch on Sky when the same thing is on BBC?

Those repetitive adverts drive you to the edge and those lounge suited pundits push you over.

Whoever thought Mark Roe can commentate should be tried for treason.

I watched Friday and Saturday night on Sky. Tried watching Sunday on the BBC, got fed up and went back to Sky. I feel sorry for people like you George who had to watch the second rate BBC and couldn't enjoy the fantastic Sky coverage.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 18 Apr 2016, 9:05 am

puligny wrote: Ultimately restricting access to iconic events will damage the core sport. The R&A know that. Their decision is not purely about money, although no doubt they hope in the future that another broadcaster will compete to drive the money up in a way the BBC never could have done. Hey ho!

If the R&A knows this (restricting golf to people with Sky tv subscriptions), then why did they agree to Sky's bid for the Open? I absolutely agree it will damage UK golf, starting in July 2016 and carrying on for as long the contracts last. If the numbers playing golf are declining, as everyone seems to think, then this is just another great chance to promote the game lost.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 18 Apr 2016, 10:03 am

I watched the weekend on the Beeb, and prefered the coverage to the SKy coverage. I know some people are not keen on Allis, but I like that he called out the conditions of the greens and luck involved on some of the shots.

I pay for Sky, but I still think its a shame that free to air TV has lost pretty much all golf. Though its hard to blame the BBC as its a political decision that was made for them it seems.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 18 Apr 2016, 1:29 pm

George1507 wrote:
If the R&A knows this (restricting golf to people with Sky tv subscriptions), then why did they agree to Sky's bid for the Open?

Because sky was the only serious bidder. It's a shame that live free to air golf is going to disappear in the UK, but the beeb weren't prepared to invest in covering it properly after 2016, whereas sky are. At least there will be a decent highlights package on BBC

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 18 Apr 2016, 2:30 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Interesting, if accurate. I don't think the golf big cheeses give a XXXX to be honest. Usual thing though. Expect participation to fall through the floor in the next 10 years or so as all those potential junior players lose the visual glory of watching the Masters or the Open while growing up. Idiots.

Not sure you can blame the golf big cheeses for the end of the BBC relationship. As already pointed out, the BBC aren't interested in golf. Maybe C4 or C5 would have considered a bid but it's pretty difficult to put a serious bid together to present golf for one week a year when Sky show European and PGA golf EVERY week, and then regularly show Ladies and Seniors too.

Let's do a bit of socio-economic stereo-typing here: the kids who are likely to become potential junior golfers probably have dads who already subscribe to sky sports. Children growing up in families with no interest in golf / sport are unlikely to see the Masters on the telly whatever channel its on or be taken to the golf course.
You have a point re. it being more than just the golf big cheeses I guess, but they should shoulder the majority of the blame. They could decide to put the game before a few million quid maybe? Your engineering doesn't really work, but even assuming it does, it removes maybe 80% of the population from ever having an interest. Hard to find the superstars if you bias against doing so. Hard to keep the memberships of so many clubs at a level that makes them viable.

From my own selfish point of view, neither of my kids are ever likely to play it and I'm interested in golf more than anything from a playing perspective. TBH, I find watching most of it, dull as dishwater and I'm not really that bothered about player gossip either. That said, I still think it's incredibly short-sighted to simply let it be lost to terrestrial TV.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Apr 2016, 2:44 pm

Navy

How old are your kids?

As I said on another thread I had no interest in golf until I watched Tiger win the 97 Masters. Maybe your kids just need to witness their own 97 Masters moment and they will get the bug?

(Which I guess is now less likely now that golf is hidden away on pay TV)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 18 Apr 2016, 3:51 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy

How old are your kids?

As I said on another thread I had no interest in golf until I watched Tiger win the 97 Masters.  Maybe your kids just need to witness their own 97 Masters moment and they will get the bug?

(Which I guess is now less likely now that golf is hidden away on pay TV)
Twins. Coming up to 7 this May, Mac. It's not their ages though tbh.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 18 Apr 2016, 3:58 pm

George - BBC withdrew from bidding. Made (forced) priority choices and golf sadly no longer figures, I think based largely on what they felt they would have to pay. It's also relevant that Beeb had been warned by R&A over past few years to up their game on coverage, and I believe by extending their portfolio. Ultimately it's not a choice the Beeb have made, having prioritised other activities. I continue to believe much of that is a result of political and budget pressure.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:09 pm

I believe that golf not being on terrestrial will hurt participation in the sport, however, I might be wrong. Maybe TV isn't as important among the youngsters as it was "in our day". It's all about streaming and what you can get on mobile devices now. Maybe kids might happen across something of YouTube or whatever that fires the imagination?

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Apr 2016, 4:56 pm

What were the BBC warned about by the R&A in terms of the coverage provided?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 18 Apr 2016, 5:14 pm

Without looking up the detail, my memory is that the then Sec of R&A gave interviews bemoaning the lack of development of coverage, use of technology etc. Product was not being helped by developments as per those used by Sky. Also and crucially because the BBC appeared uninterested in other events, keeping a commentary team etc up to speed was proving difficult. It had all got a bit flat.
I can certainly relate to that.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Apr 2016, 5:21 pm

Wow, no wonder the R&A is run so poorly if they feel like the Sky commentary team is up to speed!

Interested in what technology they are talking about? Does the skycart float their boat?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 18 Apr 2016, 5:47 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/apr/23/bbc-warned-open-broadcasting-risk
Here is one example of an article from '12

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Apr 2016, 5:56 pm

Puligny, no mention of technology (other than a vague claim about keeping up to date with current trends) but just a complaint about using retired sportspeople who did not play golf.

And " future broadcasting of the Open is at risk if it continues to scale down its live golf coverage"

If what is shown is of a good standard then why worry what else they broadcast over the year?

With all the practice they could wish for Sky manage to produce a terrible viewer experience.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 18 Apr 2016, 6:00 pm

Mac, as I said, it's one example.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Apr 2016, 6:01 pm

Puligny, I have no beef with you here. Just find the R&A (Dawson in particular) have a habit of talking out their arses.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 05 May 2016, 3:38 pm

The BBC may have decided to abandon golf, but it looks like they are committed to televising some "sport":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/equestrian/36211995

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 05 May 2016, 4:23 pm

raycastleunited wrote:The BBC may have decided to abandon golf, but it looks like they are committed to televising some "sport":

Some of us are pretty interested, actually (much more than I am in football for example) but I don't consider that the majority of it being Red Button coverage and radio commentary on Five Live shows much commitment to "televising some sport" when they used to show extensive coverage of the cross-country on Saturday and all the show jumping on Sunday - we never get to see the dressage from Thursday and Friday.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 05 May 2016, 4:32 pm

LadyPutt wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:The BBC may have decided to abandon golf, but it looks like they are committed to televising some "sport":

Some of us are pretty interested, actually (much more than I am in football for example) but I don't consider that the majority of it being Red Button coverage and radio commentary on Five Live shows much commitment to "televising some sport" when they used to show extensive coverage of the cross-country on Saturday and all the show jumping on Sunday - we never get to see the dressage from Thursday and Friday.

It would make ZERO commercial sense for the bbc to broadcast 2 days of dressage.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 06 May 2016, 8:47 am

If they did it for commercial reasons only I don't think golf would ever have been shown on the beeb. That's the point of the service.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down