The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby League News

+4
The Beast
George Hotel1895
aucklandlaurie
Luke
8 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Rugby League News - Page 4 Empty Rugby League News

Post by Luke Fri 22 Apr 2016, 12:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

The dates and venues of the 4 nation's have been announced. They are -

Fri 28th Oct - Scotland v Australia - Craven park Hull.

Sun 30th Oct - England v New Zealand - John Smiths stadium Huddersfield.

Sat 5th Nov - England v Scotland & Australia v New Zealand - Ricoh Arena Coventry.

Fri 11th Nov - Scotland v New Zealand - Derwent Park Workington.

Sun 13th Nov - England v Australia - Olympic Park London.

Sun 20th Nov - final at Anfield Liverpool.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Rugby League News - Page 4 Empty Re: Rugby League News

Post by The Beast Fri 16 Feb 2018, 8:39 pm

A boost for Catalan Dragons, Tony Gigot has been cleared to play. It is not easy to keep up with this story which involves an alleged incident with a drug testing officer. AFAIK Gigot was banned, cleared on appeal, banned again on another appeal and now cleared again. Answers on a post card.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sun 18 Feb 2018, 12:52 am

The Beast wrote:A boost for Catalan Dragons, Tony Gigot has been cleared to play.  It is not easy to keep up with this story which involves an alleged incident with a drug testing officer.  AFAIK Gigot was banned, cleared on appeal, banned again on another appeal and now cleared again.  Answers on a post card.
The Catalans want all the help they can get at the moment.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed 21 Feb 2018, 6:35 pm

Castleford;

Dismiss Zak Hardaker following a failed drug test last year prior to the SL Grand Final.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 22 Feb 2018, 9:40 pm

It's been reported that one of the proposals being considered for the future is a 10 team SL, a 10 team sl 2. And league 1 going amateur.

I really can't tell you how much this idea disgusts me. And I hope that it doesn't happen.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 23 Feb 2018, 10:44 am

Luke wrote:It's been reported that one of the proposals being considered for the future is a 10 team SL, a 10 team sl 2. And league 1 going amateur.

I really can't tell you how much this idea disgusts me. And I hope that it doesn't happen.

I don't mind 10/10 with P/R and robust salary caps however throwing 4 current (presumably Championship) clubs under a bus and closing the door on everyone else stinks.

I have mentioned this elsewhere and whilst it likely won't be every week York attracted 4300 for a League 1 game last Sunday there has to be a pathway for clubs like this who since their financial disasters must have worked tirelessly.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 24 Feb 2018, 1:53 pm

Though it's only a proposal.

If you try to work it out it just gets more confusing. If it's agreed (and though I can't see this, If it is certain sl chairmen should hang there heads in shame).
It would mean at the moment 2 or 4 clubs (depending on if Toronto and Toulouse are promoted), Dropping to the Championship, and 2/4 dropping to league 1.
But then given the other clubs who proposed to want clubs in SL Franchise if this happens (Newcastle, Manchester, Bristol, Coventry, Dublin, Boston, Hamilton New York etc). You are basically relegating all the teams in the championship. With a 1 up from league 1 down (unless of course it's one of the mentioned clubs, who would never be allowed to be relegated).

What this does in my opinion is one of 2 things if voted in. It either kills alot of clubs in the heartland who just couldn't afford or want to continue.
Or it will lead to a split, and 2 competitions.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 25 Feb 2018, 2:54 pm

Luke wrote:Though it's only a proposal.

If you try to work it out it just gets more confusing.  If it's agreed (and though I can't see this, If  it is certain sl chairmen should hang there heads in shame).
It would mean at the moment 2 or 4 clubs (depending on if Toronto and Toulouse are promoted), Dropping to the Championship, and 2/4 dropping to league 1.
But then given the other clubs who proposed to want clubs in SL Franchise  if this happens (Newcastle,  Manchester, Bristol, Coventry, Dublin, Boston, Hamilton New York etc). You are basically relegating all the teams in the championship. With a 1 up from league 1  down (unless of course it's one of the mentioned clubs, who would never be allowed to be relegated).  

What this does in my opinion is one of 2 things if voted in. It either kills alot of clubs in the heartland who just couldn't afford or want to continue.
Or it will lead to a split, and 2 competitions.

Agreed, I am on the same page.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 26 Feb 2018, 6:35 pm

Leigh

Following by their standards a poor start to 2018 (Played 4, lost 3) Neil Jukes resigns as head coach. Former Saints Head Keiron Purtill taking over as caretaker.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 08 Mar 2018, 8:49 am

The Beast wrote:Leigh

Following by their standards a poor start to 2018 (Played 4, lost 3) Neil Jukes resigns as head coach.  Former Saints Head Keiron Purtill taking over as caretaker.
Lots of rumours about problems behind the scenes at Leigh.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed 14 Mar 2018, 7:25 pm

Kevin Brown,

announces his retirement from International Rugby League with 10 caps. Good luck to him in his club career.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 15 Mar 2018, 2:00 am

The Beast wrote:Kevin Brown,

announces his retirement from International Rugby League with 10 caps.  Good luck to him in his club career.
Always gave 100% when called upon.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 17 Mar 2018, 2:45 pm

Marwan Koukash has plans to start a new team in Cumbria

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/43430608

Not sure he can pull this off however I would agree that Cumbria is the area for a club to develop into a SL franchise.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 27 Mar 2018, 11:02 am

Huddersfield;

sack Rick Stone as Head Coach after winning 2 from their first 7 games in 2018. Assistant Coach Chris Thorman takes temporary charge.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 28 Mar 2018, 3:19 am

The Beast wrote:Huddersfield;

sack Rick Stone as Head Coach after winning 2 from their first 7 games in 2018. Assistant Coach Chris Thorman takes temporary charge.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/43555065

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 21 May 2018, 7:37 pm

Shaun Wane has announced he is leaving Wigan at the end of the season. Sounds like he will (or has) another job in the pipe line, Catalan Dragons or Canberra Raiders (John Bateman is apparently on his way there next year) appear to be leading rumours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/44195467

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue 29 May 2018, 10:40 am

The Beast wrote:Shaun Wane has announced he is leaving Wigan at the end of the season.  Sounds like he will (or has) another job  in the pipe line, Catalan Dragons or Canberra Raiders (John Bateman is apparently on his way there next year) appear to be leading rumours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/44195467
Scottish union here he comes

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by gazzyD Thu 31 May 2018, 1:25 pm

Denis Betts sacked, obviously the declining crowd numbers have taken effect, little do the board realise that he was only a quarter of the problem and the much bigger one is still there in James Rule

gazzyD

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 01 Jun 2018, 1:11 pm

gazzyD wrote:Denis Betts sacked, obviously the declining crowd numbers have taken effect, little do the board realise that he was only a quarter of the problem and the much bigger one is still there in James Rule

Sort of feel for Betts. I don't rate him, but you seem to have had a lot of injuries this year coupled with a lack of investment over the years. I'm not sure what he was expected to be able to do, or how the club was going to be anywhere else but in the middle 8's. Given the sides who are going to be in the middle 8's from the championship this seems strange timing as well. Either get rid of him at the end of last year, or the end of this.
Though agree, the fact that Rule's still there negotiates Betts going. Some Hull fans I know hate the way he ran there club and his complete lack of ambition. He seems worse at Widnes.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by gazzyD Fri 01 Jun 2018, 1:53 pm

Personally for me it's six of one and half a dozen the other

Betts probably should have been let go sooner as I think when we finished 7th the other year was probably arguably an over-achievement and was never going to be bettered. His insistence on playing some players (ah van over ince, keeping Danny Walker out of the 17, Gilmour at scrum half when he blatantly wasn't the answer) and persisting with 5 drives up the middle and kick (for the most part) I think it was hard for me to feel too sorry for him. Widnes showed how ood they can be when they passed the ball about for that try on half time against Saints at Magic weekend

Injuries I can't comment on from the as a fan, I don't know how involved Betts was in the contract extensions given out, but again I can't feel sorry to him too much if he green lit them. This is the third season straight we've had injuries and for the most part its always the same players, yet said players get new contracts

James Rule, quite simply put is a cancer. I don't know what position he held at Hull but I know about his ban for having knowledge of the drug cover up. As far as I'm concerned Having him as an owner as well as a CEO is a disaster as of course he'll care more about himself than the club, and whilst I understand that especially given our history in the early 90's and more recently what we've seen happen to Bradford, we don't want to try and live beyond our means, but he came out bragging last season about this supposed war chest we got for Kev Brown and that it was being 'protected' but now he blames fans for staying away as to the reason why we can't recruit.  The man needs to do one. Cummins, or whoever may come in on a permanent position will probably struggle too with him pulling the strings, we might just play a bit better on the pitch on a more consistent basis. The inconsistency of taking Leeds and Wigan to the wire only to crumble against Huddersfield and Wakefield are ultimately why Betts had to move on

gazzyD

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Tue 12 Jun 2018, 7:56 pm

Fully accepting that I am not the sharpest knife in the draw..infact something of a bungalow i.e. nothing upstairs however I am confused.

The new SL Chief Exec Robert Elstone has announced that they will scrap the middle 8's from 2019 and move to a one up, one down model albeit with no details of how exactly this might work.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/44455976

Who the hell is running the sport? Where are the RFL is this process? Sorry I am bewildered?

In the BBC article Leeds Chair Gary Hetherington is clearly unhappy, Batley Bulldogs rip it to shreds in some good old plain language I will add.

http://www.batleybulldogs.co.uk/2018/06/12/club-statement/

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 13 Jun 2018, 4:56 pm

That's the problem with the whole sport.
2 many cooks trying to get there own piece of whatever pie out there. Not enough thought into the game as a whole.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 17 Jun 2018, 6:36 pm

Luke wrote:
Luke wrote:It is believed that Gloucestershire and Oxford are about to merge (with a possible move to Bristol), as both are struggling financially and in getting players. A shame if it does happen, but not really a surprise.

Does make you wonder, if we do return to franchising  (which I really am against ). With Catalan, Tolouse, Toronto, Bristol and where the other rumoured franchises could be starting up (Dublin,  Montreal etc). Just how big is SL actually going to be? How many teams are going to be in it? And which of the traditional clubs are going to be missing out?

This has now happened. Both sides have withdrawn from the league, and Bristol will start in 2019.

This might actually not happening now.
As Bristol are struggling to attract the finances for the club.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 07 Jul 2018, 2:34 pm

Brian McDermott sacked by Leeds, Kevin Sinfield in as Director of Rugby. IMO this may be a mistake, at the end of the season perhaps but now.....not so sure and he deserved better.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 07 Jul 2018, 5:37 pm

Can slightly understand it. Lowes becomes the fall guy should they end up in the middle 8's. They've got to be looking for someone better coach.
From what I understand they wanted to do what Wigan have done with Warne. He refused.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 21 Jul 2018, 7:54 am

Milner extents contract at Tigers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/44898034

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed 25 Jul 2018, 6:44 pm

Derek Beaumont has announced he will leave his position of Chairman of Leigh and commented that a large number of players will be leaving the club (your basis fire sale).

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 25 Jul 2018, 9:15 pm

The Beast wrote:Derek Beaumont has announced he will leave his position of Chairman of Leigh and commented that a large number of players will be leaving the club (your basis fire sale).

Seen that. Hanson already gone to Widnes. Ben Crooks has apparently joined us.
Don't know how it's happened, but it's getting worrying when you add in Whitehaven,Barrow and Keighley. Not sure what the answer is. But the growth and dominance of football makes me feel were now at a crunch time.
Feel for Leigh fans.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 26 Jul 2018, 6:42 am

Luke wrote:
The Beast wrote:Derek Beaumont has announced he will leave his position of Chairman of Leigh and commented that a large number of players will be leaving the club (your basis fire sale).

Seen that. Hanson already gone to Widnes. Ben Crooks has apparently joined us.
Don't know how it's happened, but it's getting worrying when you add in Whitehaven,Barrow and Keighley. Not sure what the answer is. But the growth and dominance of football makes me feel were now at a crunch time.
Feel for Leigh fans.
Thompson signs for Wolves
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/44952170

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 26 Jul 2018, 9:59 pm

I feel for the fans too, reminder of when Bradford were liquidated and fantastic academy players such as Jacob Trueman and Cameron Scott left.

Saying that Leigh have spent money like water, some blame the RFL but it is not their fault players have been signed on reported £120k + contracts.

Peter Mata'utia now gone to Cas, Crooks confirmed with Craig Hall to Hull KR (that I think will please Luke) albeit with 3 (Jordan Walne, Josh Johnson & Will Dagger) going the other way.  Walne and Johnson played for York at Bradford last week, now they are at Leigh they must not know if they are coming or going.

Cas have made room for Mata'utia by loaning Bradford Jy Hitchcox & Tuoyo Egodo.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 27 Jul 2018, 8:48 am

All the ones you mention with regards Rovers are loans.
But yes I am fairly pleased with it. We get 2 fairly experienced backs which is were we are struggling with injuries at the moment. (Plus I like Hall always have done). Dagger gets some game time, the other 2 I don't really care about.

The reason they blame the RFL is because of the system, Leigh didn't Finnish bottom last year so the advocates believe that with a 1up 1 down system they're still be in SL. But then again if it was 1 up 1 down just how boring would this season have been.
I tend to agree with you. You cut your cloth accordingly to what you can do. Bradford wouldn't have wanted to play mostly there academy side during last season, but they had to because that's all they could do. Rovers got away with last year because the fans were still there.
Makes you wonder, at a time. When the sport needs stability and planning, why we are going to war with eacj
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 30 Jul 2018, 6:50 pm

"Makes you wonder, at a time. When the sport needs stability and planning, why we are going to war with eacj"

This current spat between Hudgell and Chalmers is doing no-one any favours. Chalmers today making comments about Hull KR's spending, it is a, nothing to do with him and b, they are two divisions above so why care? I appreciate he won't have cared for some of Hudgell's recent remarks but I would prefer a more dignified reply i.e. none at all.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 30 Jul 2018, 7:05 pm

It's a stupid argument. Both are constantly talking about things that are nothing to do with them, and it hardly shows the sport in a good light. I just wish both would shut up.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed 08 Aug 2018, 8:49 pm

Wigan announce their new coach is Adrian Lam....for 1 year interim appointment replaced by Shaun Edwards. Good to hear that Edwards will be back in RL.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed 15 Aug 2018, 9:05 am

The Beast wrote:Wigan announce their new coach is Adrian Lam....for 1 year interim appointment replaced by Shaun Edwards.  Good to hear that Edwards will be back in RL.
Edwards has a lot of work to do to get up to speed with Modern Rugby League, but Edwards being Edwards he will.

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 19 Aug 2018, 8:29 am

George Hotel1895 wrote:
The Beast wrote:Wigan announce their new coach is Adrian Lam....for 1 year interim appointment replaced by Shaun Edwards.  Good to hear that Edwards will be back in RL.
Edwards has a lot of work to do to get up to speed with Modern Rugby League, but Edwards being Edwards he will.

It certainly will be interesting, having 12 months to get back up to speed can only help.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon 27 Aug 2018, 1:46 pm

Adam Walker (Wakefield) has been banned for 20 months (Backdated) due to a failed drug test (Cocaine). Walker has been suspended since August 2017 and can play again from March 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/45285551

Answers on a postcard as to why 20 months when Hardaker got 14 and an Australian RU player (James Slipper) who has failed 2 tests for the same substance got 2 months. It cannot be that difficult can it.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Thu 27 Sep 2018, 9:42 pm

Zak Hardaker has been charged with drink driving and having no insurance or MOT following a recent incident. He will appear in court on 11/10. Sad news, not sure what else to say, will he wear the Wigan shirt?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 28 Sep 2018, 1:00 am

Probably.

But you've got to wonder just how many misdemeanours he can keep getting away with.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Sat 29 Sep 2018, 2:38 pm

Luke wrote:Probably.

But you've got to wonder just how many misdemeanours he can keep getting away with.
His part history tells us that even if he gets the chance to play for Wigan its only a matter of time before he does something stupid again

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Wed 03 Oct 2018, 9:14 pm

I was going type good to see common sense prevail with the RFL allowing Leigh & Fev to bring in additional players for the Championship shield final however given that Leigh have 9 players (having only fielded 13 on Sunday) what choice did they have?

Horrible for all connected to Leigh, seemingly they do not know if there will be a team to follow next year and now a group of players have issued proceedings for unpaid wages.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 07 Oct 2018, 9:18 pm

Congratulations to London Broncos, BIG shock beating Toronto in Canada and return to SL in 2019.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 08 Oct 2018, 12:03 am

Yeah Congratulations London. Really good defensive performance. And really happy they're back up.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 08 Oct 2018, 10:10 am

The Beast wrote:Congratulations to London Broncos, BIG shock beating Toronto in Canada and return to SL in 2019.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/45721830

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 13 Oct 2018, 8:06 am

End of season awards;

Steve Prescott Man of Steel; Ben Barba (Saints)

Coach; Shaun Wane (Wigan)

Young Player; Jacob Trueman (Cas)

Woman of Steel; Georgia Roche (Cas) who whilst I have not seen play at 17 years old must be an amazing talent.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 14 Oct 2018, 9:29 pm

Congratulations to Swinton Lions, retaining their place in the Championship for 2019 by beating Workington 30 - 20.

Workington did manage to field a full side, reports suggest some players were restricted to reduced time on the pitch. Tough game apparently only settled late on, a drop goal on 77 mins and converted try on the final play sealing it.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Fri 09 Nov 2018, 4:39 pm

Congratulations to Tommy Makinson, winning the Golden Boot award following some outstanding play for England. Sorry to say it but standard replies from Australia including Brad Fittler claiming he has never seen Makinson play. Couple of things he might want to consider, 1, he is not on the panel so his opinion really does not matter 2, It is an INTERNATIONAL award not just for Australians.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 10 Nov 2018, 5:40 pm

Toronto Wolfpack announce that Head Coach Paul Rowley has left the club.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 06 Dec 2018, 11:55 am

Wigan sign Jarrod Sammut. Rather an odd signing for Wigan in my opinion
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/46418802

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sat 08 Dec 2018, 8:58 am

George Hotel1895 wrote:Wigan sign Jarrod Sammut. Rather an odd signing for Wigan in my opinion

Certainly a surprise I suspect for most, however Pat Lam has said Wigan will change their style of play and he will do that. Whether that wins games however remains to be seen, he has not to the best of my knowledge played in SL since 2014.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Mon 31 Dec 2018, 10:17 am

The Beast wrote:
George Hotel1895 wrote:Wigan sign Jarrod Sammut. Rather an odd signing for Wigan in my opinion

Certainly a surprise I suspect for most, however Pat Lam has said Wigan will change their style of play and he will do that.  Whether that wins games however remains to be seen, he has not to the best of my knowledge played in SL since 2014.
Pat Lam? Surely Adrian

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next