The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daniil Medvedev defaulted for racism (vs Donald Young)

+2
socal1976
erictheblueuk
6 posters

Go down

Daniil Medvedev defaulted for racism (vs Donald Young) Empty Daniil Medvedev defaulted for racism (vs Donald Young)

Post by erictheblueuk Tue 26 Apr 2016, 10:57 pm

"A 20-year-old Russian tennis player was disqualified from his match at the United States Tennis Association (USTA)’s Savannah Challenger event late last week when he went on a racist rant against a black referee.

According to the New York Post, player Daniil Medvedev immediately lost his second-round match against U.S. player Donald Young.":-
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/watch-tennis-players-racist-outburst-at-black-referee-gets-him-disqualified-mid-match/

"Daniil Medvedev defaulted for racism (vs Donald Young)":-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jp-97UzzXk

I'm not sure what was actually said but Medvedev has been apologising for it on Facebook.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Daniil Medvedev defaulted for racism (vs Donald Young) Empty Re: Daniil Medvedev defaulted for racism (vs Donald Young)

Post by socal1976 Wed 27 Apr 2016, 1:45 am

Its hard to comment without knowing what he said to the official or to young. But it looks serious if he is apologizing and he was defaulted. He is young but should know better either way.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Daniil Medvedev defaulted for racism (vs Donald Young) Empty Re: Daniil Medvedev defaulted for racism (vs Donald Young)

Post by Guest82 Wed 27 Apr 2016, 10:37 am

I read about this previously and it was said that he accused a black umpire of being "friends" with Donald Young.

Suggesting an umpire is biased is apparently enough for defaulting, but we've all heard Murray/Kyrgios etc suggest similar.

However, if he just said "friends" then I feel he is being unnecessarily criticised.

But I don't know what was said, just what I have read.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by MMT1 Sat 07 May 2016, 2:33 am

Guest82 wrote:I read about this previously and it was said that he accused a black umpire of being "friends" with Donald Young.

Suggesting an umpire is biased is apparently enough for defaulting, but we've all heard Murray/Kyrgios etc suggest similar.

However, if he just said "friends" then I feel he is being unnecessarily criticised.

But I don't know what was said, just what I have read.

Although I agree this is a bit harsh, I think the punishment was appropriate, because the implication of his comment was racial, particularly if he had no reason othe than race, to suggest that the umpire was friends with Young. Apparently he didn't dispute the charge. I wish the USTA had had the courage to do this to Lleyton Hewitt in 2001 when he did the exact same thing, but with less subtlety, than Medvedev did here. I have always resented Hewitt who didn't have the decency to apologize for his obviously racist suggestion that a black official couldn't be impartial if a black player were involved.
MMT1
MMT1

http://tennis-column.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 07 May 2016, 6:04 am

MMT1 wrote:I have always resented Hewitt who didn't have the decency to apologize for his obviously racist suggestion that a black official couldn't be impartial if a black player were involved.

It should go the other way too. NO special treatment for any player, especially if they are black or brown. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by MMT1 Wed 29 Jun 2016, 10:09 pm

laverfan wrote:
MMT1 wrote:I have always resented Hewitt who didn't have the decency to apologize for his obviously racist suggestion that a black official couldn't be impartial if a black player were involved.

It should go the other way too. NO special treatment for any player, especially if they are black or brown. Wink

I'm not sure I follow you: do you know of a specific case in professional tennis where a black player was treated favorably because they are black? Or any non-white player, for that matter, being treated favorably because they are not white?
MMT1
MMT1

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:54 am

Sports, other than Tennis, in the US, have racism, in both directions. It is sad to see athletes discriminated against, whatever be their race.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 30 Jun 2016, 10:18 am

MMT1 wrote:

I wish the USTA had had the courage to do this to Lleyton Hewitt in 2001 when he did the exact same thing, but with less subtlety, than Medvedev did here.  I have always resented Hewitt who didn't have the decency to apologize for his obviously racist suggestion that a black official couldn't be impartial if a black player were involved.

Your point is well-made.

I don't think it's any accident that Hewitt has never enjoyed undiluted nationwide acclaim in his own country. It is extremely rare for homegrown Aussie sports stars to be disliked in significant numbers. But, from my many visits to Oz, I am in no doubt whatever that Hewitt has managed exactly that, notwithstanding the many notable achievements in his career.

No great surprise that proud Aussies who still look up to their great tennis heroes such as Laver, Rosewall, Newcombe (and, in more recent times, Pat Rafter) were never totally won over by the often oaf-like antics of Lleyton Hewitt.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by MMT1 Thu 30 Jun 2016, 2:33 pm

lags72 wrote:
MMT1 wrote:

I wish the USTA had had the courage to do this to Lleyton Hewitt in 2001 when he did the exact same thing, but with less subtlety, than Medvedev did here.  I have always resented Hewitt who didn't have the decency to apologize for his obviously racist suggestion that a black official couldn't be impartial if a black player were involved.

Your point is well-made.

I don't think it's any accident that Hewitt has never enjoyed undiluted nationwide acclaim in his own country. It is extremely rare for homegrown Aussie sports stars to be disliked in significant numbers. But, from my many visits to Oz, I am in no doubt whatever that Hewitt has managed exactly that, notwithstanding the many notable achievements in his career.

No great surprise that proud Aussies who still look up to their great tennis heroes such as Laver, Rosewall, Newcombe (and, in more recent times, Pat Rafter) were never totally won over by the often oaf-like antics of Lleyton Hewitt.

As tennis fans, the Aussies are some of the best in the world - this is one of the reasons.
MMT1
MMT1

Back to top Go down

Post by MMT1 Thu 30 Jun 2016, 2:34 pm

laverfan wrote:Sports, other than Tennis, in the US, have racism, in both directions. It is sad to see athletes discriminated against, whatever be their race.
Fair enough, but this is about racism in tennis.
MMT1
MMT1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down