The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Payback Results - Spoilers

+8
Samo
Y I Man
temporary21
NickisBHAFC
Fernando
Good Golly I'm Olly
Dolphin Ziggler
JoshSansom
12 posters

Go down

Payback Results - Spoilers Empty Payback Results - Spoilers

Post by JoshSansom Mon 02 May 2016, 05:52

Tag Team Tournament Finals
Enzo & Cass vs The Vaudevillains

Enzo and Gotch tie up and trade mat holds, then Cass and English tag in and Cass throws some chops. Enzo and Cass double team their opponents until Enzo gets whipped by Simon into the bottom rope, and the ref calls for some doctors. Enzo is shown on the replay hitting his throat and snapping his head back, but he is loaded onto a stretcher and the ref calls for the bell.

Result – No Contest

Sami Zayn vs Kevin Owens

Sami dives on Owens and whips him into the barricade, then they trade punches in the ring but Owens whips Sami back through the ropes. Owens whips him into the stairs, then he chops Sami and toys with him as he talks trash and jabs him. Sami fights back and throws several punches and hits a Blue Thunder Bomb for two, then Owens comes right back with some strikes and two cannonballs in the corner. Owens calls for end but Sami takes Owens down with a underhook suplex, then they trade punches in the middle of the ring and Sami nearly steals it with a rollup.

Sami goes for a tornado DDT but Owens counters it off the ropes into a backbreaker, then they go punch for punch on the apron until Owens attempt a powerbomb. Sami backdrops him onto the apron and fights to his feet, then he connects with a diving DDT through the ropes and the crowd pops. Sami rolls him in and tries to finish it with a Helluva Kick, but Owens catches him with superkick and ends it with a pop-up powerbomb off the ropes to steal the win.

Winner – Kevin Owens

Owens attacks Sami after the bell and whips him out of the ring, then screams at Byron Saxton to get him a microphone. Owens brags about beating Sami and being the better man, then he says he can finally get his Intercontinental Championship back. Byron says The Miz will defend that title next, so Owens says he’s sticking around to do some commentary for it.

Intercontinental Championship
Cesaro vs The Miz (c)

Cesaro takes Miz down and knees him in the back, then he connects with a step up kick before Maryse interferes. The ref doesn’t catch it and Miz takes advantage, kicking him in the shoulder before hitting a neckbreaker for two. Miz applies a front facelock but Cesaro powers up and suplexes Miz, then he throws a few uppercuts and connects with several rolling uppercuts in the corner. Cesaro connects with a dropkick and Miz surprises Cesaro with a Skull Crushing Finale, but Cesaro kicks out at two and Miz can’t believe it.

Sami Zayn comes out of nowhere and blindsides Owens at commentary, diving over the table and unloading on Owens with punches. Sami fights into the crowd as Cesaro catches Miz in the Cesaro Swing, then Cesaro tries to make him tap out but the ref is distracted and Miz steals it with a rollup.

Winner – The Miz

Cesaro gets peed and uppercuts Miz, then continues to attack but Owens comes back in and lays everyone else out. Owens whips Miz towards the ropes, but Maryse helps him and they take off while Owens raises the IC title above his head.

Chris Jericho vs Dean Ambrose

Jericho runs after Ambrose strikes early, then Ambrose clotheslines him and sends him outside. Ambrose hits a rebound clothesline after Jericho tries to attack, then Ambrose mocks Jericho’s flexing pose and Jericho runs away. Jericho complains to the ref before suplexing Ambrose and slapping him in the face. Ambrose comes back with a tornado DDT, then avoids the Walls of Jericho and goes for a swinging neckbreaker. Jericho ends up catching Ambrose in the Walls again, but Ambrose rolls through and kicks Jericho through the ropes. He sends Jericho into the commentary table, then takes it apart and lifts Jericho up on to the table.

Ambrose attempts Dirty Deeds but Jericho blocks it, then he drops Ambrose and ends up slingshotting him into the crowd. Jericho gets him back in the ring and goes for a Codbreaker, but Ambrose blocks and takes Jericho down and gets a near fall. Ambrose slowly heads up top but Jericho cuts him off, only to have Ambrose shove him back to hit a diving elbow smash for two. Ambrose sets Jericho up back up top but Jericho headbutts him, then blocks Dirty Deeds and reapplies the Walls of Jericho. Ambrose fights out and they trade some strikes, then Jericho hits a Lionsault but Ambrose rolls through and tries to set up Dirty Deeds. Jericho blocks, but Ambrose ends up kneeing him a few times, then connects with Dirty Deeds for the win.

Winner – Dean Ambrose

WWE Women’s Championship
Natalya (w/ Bret Hart) vs Charlotte (c) (w/ Ric Flair)

Nattie goes for an early Sharpshooter but Charlotte avoids it, then Nattie ties her up but Charlotte reverses into a side headlock. Charlotte rolls through and Nattie hits a shoulder tackle, then they continue to try and outwit each other before Nattie goes for another Sharpshooter. Charlotte rolls outside and mocks Bret, then Charlotte catches Nattie offguard and slams her head on the mat. Nattie comes back with a dropkick but Charlotte elbows her in the corner, then they head outside and trade strikes. Nattie gets the advantage before rolling Charlotte in, then Ric looks like he wants to get involved but stays back.

Charlotte kicks Nattie in the face as she enters the ring, but Nattie comes back with a discus clothesline and Charlotte fires right back with Natural Selection. Nattie kicks out, but Charlotte takes advantage and hits a moonsault for two before applying the Figure Four. Nattie blocks the Figure Eight and reverses into her own Figure Four, but Charlotte makes it to the ropes. Charlotte slaps Nattie and puts her in the Sharpshooter, and Nattie doesn’t tap, but the ref rings the bell anyway! Charlotte and Ric celebrate, but Bret and Nattie attack them as the announcers reference the Montreal Screwjob, and Bret and Nattie apply simultaneous Sharpshooters before leaving.

Winner – Charlotte

In Charge of Raw Segment

Vince McMahon comes to the ring and the CM Punk chants start up, and Vince mocks the crowd and tells them to keep going. He talks about RAW always being succesful, and says the show has always evolved, and the Punk chants keep going. Vince wonders how long they can keep it up, then Vince talks about reinventing the company during popular eras, like his favorite, the Attitude Era. He says they now have a new era in WWE, and they need to choose a new leader, asking if it should be Shane or Stephanie.

Stephanie walks out and makes her case, talking about Shane taking risks, but The Authority was there for the WWE debuts of The Shield, The New Day, AJ Styles and many others. She also talks about WWE Network, but Shane McMahon took off and ran for seven years, and he could do the same thing again. Shane comes out and talks about WWE Network being Vince’s idea, but it was a success because of the fans. He says he had some differences and left, but he came back because of legacy, and talks about making sure this company prospers instead of letting Stephanie and Triple H poison it. Shane tells Vince to just listen, and says the crowd speaks for him, and they all go nuts.

Vince tells them to stop, but Shane polls the crowd and they cheer him and boo Stephanie. Vince says Shane lost at Wrestlemania 32 and he shouldn’t be here, but he still gave him a chance and Shane got his chance to run RAW. He says he doesn’t listen to the media or the fans, and Vince says he only listens to himself, and what he wants to do is see some blood. Vince says he wants to see them kill each other, but they could also make it work, because he’s putting them both in charge of RAW. Vince leaves, and Shane looks optimistic, but Stephanie looks less than happy. Shane offers a handshake, and Stephanie reluctantly agrees and shakes his hand before they leave together.

WWE World Heavyweight Championship
AJ Styles vs Roman Reigns (c)

Styles applies a headlock but Roman fights him off and rolls outside, then Styles tries to punch him on the way back in. Reigns ducks and Styles invites him to try and fight him outside, but Styles instead stomps him on the way back in, but Reigns catches him with a clothesline to the floor. Styles comes back in and they trade a few strikes, but Styles whips him and Reigns turns him inside-out with a hard clothesline. Reigns slams him down after rolling through a near fall pin attempt, then Reigns powerbombs him and calls for a Superman punch.

Styles catches him midair with a kick, then Styles snapmares him and hits a running forearm. Styles gets two, then he hits a fireman’s carry neckbreaker before attempting the Calf Crusher. Reigns kicks out so Styles knocks him off the apron with a forearm shot, then he springboards off the top rope and sends Reigns through the table with a Phenomenal Forearm. Styles tries to roll Reigns back in to beat the count, but Reigns doesn’t make it up, and Styles rolls in to beat the count, but Reigns doesn’t make it.

— Shane McMahon comes to the ramp and says this might have been OK in the old era, but the new era will see this match continue, and it’s with no countouts, so the match continues. —

The bell rings and Styles unloads with forearm shots and a Pele Kick, then Styles heads up top and attempts a 450 splash. Reigns gets his knees up and gets a two count, then they fight near the ropes and Reigns inadvertently hits Styles below the belt, and the ref rings the bell.

— Stephanie comes out and says Shane forgot something, and this match will not end on a disqualification either, so they will continue —

Reigns attacks Styles and sends him into the barricade, then they fight back towards the ring and Styles sends Reigns inside. Styles goes for a Phenomenal Forearm but Reigns hits him with a Superman punch in the air, and still only gets two. Reigns can’t believe it, and he connects with another Superman punch, then he goes back to attack again, but Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson run down and pull Styles out of the ring. They both attack Reigns and beat him down, then hit the Magic Killer, and Styles struggles to his feet and hits a Phenomenal Forearm.

Reigns is close enough and gets his foot on the ropes, then The Usos run down and brawl with Gallows and Anderson. Styles heads up top while they all fight, and Reigns throws him onto everyone and knocks them all down on the floor. Reigns then tackles them all, and Styles hits a diving forearm off the barricade and rolls him back inside. Styles hits a springboard somersault splash for two, then he attempts Styles Clash but Reigns backdrops him over the ropes, and Styles lands on his feet. Styles rebounds and jumps back in, but Reigns hits him with a spear off the ropes and makes the cover.

Winner – Roman Reigns

Vince is shown talking to Shane and Stephanie backstage about how smart they were in restarting the match, and asks if Styles deserves a rematch. They both agree, and Vince asks where, then Stephanie says Extreme Rules is coming up. Shane says that’s the match, and says Reigns should defend against Styles in an Extreme Rules match, and Vince says OK. He says he will see them tomorrow and leaves, then Stephanie says she supports Shane and the show comes to a close.

Source: Wrestlezone.com

================

So - thought it was a cracking show. The start was very worrying seeing the Enzo injury and hope he recovers from the concussion asap. The rest of the card kept the crowd going and Kevin Owens was an undoubted star of the mid card - MiTB potential? I think a F4W IC title match at Extreme Rules would be a great next progression in that storyline.

Loved the Womens' title match and while the faux-Screwjob storyline has been used a lot I think it fit and sets up something in three weeks time. Potentially a Womens' I Quit match??

Jericho is great right now and seems to be in a much better groove than some of this recent runs in the company. Would be happy to see them interject into the IC title picture for a month before a final battle providing that each stopped the other from winning the belt.

Lots of CM Punk chants maybe Vince would have been better served not blacklisting his name - it may have stopped this being a recurring theme in events since. There is an interesting new dynamic in the face/heel joint management approach. I am presuming this leads to some kind of "winner takes all" match or a split between Raw/SD in future, but should have an interestingly different note for now.

I thought that both Styles/Reigns played their parts well in the main event though it felt a bit confusing as a storyline. I get the "new chapter" meaning no screwy finishes and the two "victories" for AJ getting him a rematch, but the involvement of Gallows/Anderson felt like it didn't mesh with the storyline. I would have rather the Usos ambushed them on the way to the ring and they had no definitive involvement with either party personally.

I liked the pacing of the match, the play off of speed vs power and do think that Reigns looks and carries himself as a champion, just for it is as a heel champ at the moment.

Still a great event.

------------

EDIT: Forgot the pre-show. Missed Corbin/Ziggler though the result of a Dolph win from a rollup suggests a longer programme, I am still not convinced of where/how Corbin fits into the Raw/SD roster. Did see Kalisto/Ryback, which was great - fast paced and really slick. The "Pre Show Stopper" belt Ryback was wearing was a nice touch. Maybe playing an angle? Otherwise they certainly deserved a spot on the main card were it available.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Payback Results - Spoilers Empty Re: Payback Results - Spoilers

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 02 May 2016, 10:22

Great story told in the main event by the wrestlers. When Reigns was on top he pulled the pace down, AJ picked it up when he was on top. Simple but perfect.

Only issue was Reigns needing one spear to win. It's an issue that people noted against Bryan too. He can kick out of a lot but people can only handle one spear.

The attitude era came back to life with those restarts though.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 02 May 2016, 10:46

Thought it was a quality PPV
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 02 May 2016, 11:04

Was a very good show.

The only thing that bothered me was the count out considering you see many people just roll in and back out to restart it Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 02 May 2016, 11:18

Great and refreshing PPV. Sums up WWE this last month tbh. Keep it up.

Main event was MOTN

Shout out to Enzo, hopefully he won't be out for too long!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 02 May 2016, 11:24

Enzo is apparently ok, which is good

enjoyable ppv, was wise awake despite it being nearly 4am when it finished here. Reigns was good, though I agree that is he can kick out to that much, maybe give it tw spears to win. OR give him a better finisher, like say a powerbomb...

The onyl real complaint was the womens match again, which once again had to have a hokey, and really really stupid finish. I doubt theyll even address it tonight...

The Zayn Owens saga was fantastic, the way ti bled into the ic match was amazing, KO was 10/10 tonight

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Y I Man Mon 02 May 2016, 18:44

Solid ppv, Owens was brilliant as expected.
I half expected Vince to announce himself as running Raw.
Loved the CM Punk chants to Vince

Y I Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon 02 May 2016, 19:03

Apparently Enzo was knocked out cold and suffered a concussion. It looked really scary so Im surprised/glad thats all it is.

Owens was a highlight of the whole night, and his match was Zayn was excellent, as always.

The IC title match was good and Miz plays his role perfectly. Shame the match felt overshadowed by Owens & Zayn.

Ambrose and Jericho was fine, but a big too long and the ending wasnt as good as it could be, I would rather Dean just hit the Dirty Deeds rather than have to fight for it.

The Womens Championship match was good aswell but the ending totally sucked. The Montreal Screwjob should never be revisited, especially not when Bret is ring side.

The McMahon segment was entirely too long and a bit anticlimatic.

I thought the main event was excellent, if a bit predictable. Reigns was bloody brilliant and I think he'll have won over a few doubters. Its not just working with AJ - who made him look a million bucks - but he was selling really well, his ring psychology was spot on and he was able to go the distance. It was the best match of his career by a considerable distance, which even the crowd acknowledged at the end.

I dont understand the hate behind no one kicking out of the spear. All you see is people complaining that finishers dont mean as much as they used the (the F5 anyone?) but as soon as they start protecting a finishing move its 'Super-Cena booking'.

Overall it was a very good PPV, didnt feel like 3 hours long, and not a bad match (apart from the Tag match but that gets a bye)

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 02 May 2016, 19:10

It's when one has a protected finisher and the other doesn't Samo. You protect finishers in general, not one or two.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon 02 May 2016, 19:12

I agree that all should be protected and alot more work could be done, but I'd rather see one or two than none at all.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 02 May 2016, 19:19

I do see the point. Roman has edges spear, as in it doesnt look that painful, so for that to be as protected as the stone cold stunner is a bit weak sauce. He did get two superman punches prior at least, I just think that the spear needs to be a false finisher. A guy as big as him needs a powerbomb finisher,

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 02 May 2016, 19:36

I'm happy with the spear as a finisher, just be smart with the other finishers around him. People are annoyed about his portrayal, and making him seem so much better than AJ by being able to kick out of his numerous times, the Be Sharp Club finisher and going through a table. Then BOOM one spear. Thats what annoys people

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon 02 May 2016, 21:00

To be fair how long was it between the forearm through the table and him actually being back in the ring, three/four mins?

Not saying you are wrong, I just think an unfair example to use

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon 02 May 2016, 21:08

And didnt AJ kick out of that awesome Superman Punch counter from the Phenomenal Forearm?

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 03 May 2016, 07:38

Very good PPV, even if it didn't really do anything but keep things as they are

Tag - Get well soon Enzo, scary when that happened. Hopefully we get this match again at extreme rules when he's healthy

Owens vs Zayn - match of the night, no question. Was superb, owens is the guy at the moment. Miz vs Cesaro was very good as well, looking forward to more of these feuds

Ambrose vs Jericho - Is it just me or does Ambrose seam a bit off at the moment? Y2J is one of the best on the roster at the moment but Dean has disappointed me since Road Block

Women's - What do people see in Natalya? She's technically very good but rarely tells a story. Having said that they were having a good match, but why go with that finish? Hopefully wwe take the story somewhere though

World - Reigns best match? Might be. I thought Roman was great and obviously AJ was phenomenal... Liked the false finishes and actually think that having the spear as 'if he hits this it's over' works. When someone kicks out of it it'll seam like a big deal.

Grade: 7.5-8

Very good PPV, keep it up wwe

Any idea why Ziggler vs Corbin wasn't shown on the network?

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Tue 03 May 2016, 08:15

Gregers wrote:Very good PPV, even if it didn't really do anything but keep things as they are

Tag - Get well soon Enzo, scary when that happened. Hopefully we get this match again at extreme rules when he's healthy

Owens vs Zayn - match of the night, no question. Was superb, owens is the guy at the moment. Miz vs Cesaro was very good as well, looking forward to more of these feuds

Ambrose vs Jericho - Is it just me or does Ambrose seam a bit off at the moment? Y2J is one of the best on the roster at the moment but Dean has disappointed me since Road Block

Women's - What do people see in Natalya? She's technically very good but rarely tells a story. Having said that they were having a good match, but why go with that finish? Hopefully wwe take the story somewhere though

World - Reigns best match? Might be. I thought Roman was great and obviously AJ was phenomenal... Liked the false finishes and actually think that having the spear as 'if he hits this it's over' works. When someone kicks out of it it'll seam like a big deal.

Grade: 7.5-8

Very good PPV, keep it up wwe

Any idea why Ziggler vs Corbin wasn't shown on the network?

How long will Jericho continue to dodge the blame for his incredibly average matches? He's done nothing to write home about in years but he still has the perception of being some world class worker, AJ got more out of a Roman Frak Reigns on his first attempt, than he did in a 5 Match!! Series with Jericho

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Y I Man Tue 03 May 2016, 10:14

Ziggler match was on the preview show before the US title match?

Y I Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 03 May 2016, 11:58

I think Jericho as a character has been brilliant since he turned full heel, but his in ring stuff is the same as it was 15 years ago + a better finisher. He isnt bad though and has been consistent for years. Dont know if you could say he's world class but he's certainly a very good worker.

Dont know why Ziggler vs Corbin was bumped, dont know why Ziggler went over. Lots of Dont Knows around that.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 03 May 2016, 12:14

The Enzo bit was really scary, I was amazed it wasn't a work with the way they kept the camera on him and showing replay aftwr replay, my initial reaction was he must have some kind of storyline that needs him written out but the more you saw the replay's the more you saw that sickening thud, I watched it yesterday afternoon so hoped onto twitter to see if he was OK, before I continued watching, I couldn't have sat through that Live and enjoyed it knowing he was in trouble, I watched over the edge Live  and after Owen got injured it was a horrible show as a viewer, then finding out he died on air was surreal.

It was a really good PPV, knowing Enzo was fine enabled me to enjoy it for what it was, I thought Reigns was excellent, AJ is a master too although I don't think the way that match panned out did anything for Styles as a genuine contender, Kevin Owens absolutely killed it, everything he does is gold but when it all comes together not many can touch him.

I love Cesaro but I'm not a fan of him coming out in a strippers suit, I like the fact he wears a suit and when he's not Wrestling he should do all his segments in one but when he comes out for a match I don't think it does him justice to come out and rip it off, I don't think it suits his serious badass character

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 03 May 2016, 12:30

He's the Swiss Superman. Its symbolic to Superman wearing his outfit under his normal clothes. I like it.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 03 May 2016, 12:34

Nice to see someone finally blame Ambrose. Think he's faltered.

Was bored by the whole match though. But at least Jericho has come back and shown people how to be a heel.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 03 May 2016, 12:51

Y I Man wrote:Ziggler match was on the preview show before the US title match?

Cheers, didn't watch preshow and thy didn't mention it on the main show (or I missed it)

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down