The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possibilty for Brook?

+10
milkyboy
catchweight
Atila
Baby faced assassin
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
Guest82
melv500
hazharrison
TRUSSMAN66
AdamT
14 posters

Go down

Possibilty for Brook? Empty Possibilty for Brook?

Post by Guest Tue 03 May 2016, 9:03 pm

Andre Berto stops Victor Ortiz in four rounds at the weekend, says he'd like to fight Danny Garcia (the WBC love both of them to be fair so it's an easy one to make) but Berto says he'll fight anyone in the WW division. Berto's a name, a former belt holder, as evidenced by his fight with Mayweather, he can be outboxed and, as evidenced by the two fights with Ortiz, can be hurt/dropped but also packs a punch himself.

Given the paucity of opponents being lined up, should Eddie thrown Berto into the mix for Kell...at worst, it's another "name" they had no chance of convincing to come to Sheffield.

Back to top Go down

Possibilty for Brook? Empty Re: Possibilty for Brook?

Post by AdamT Tue 03 May 2016, 9:04 pm

Good fight for Kell if it happens. Though As you have already mentioned, it will be Berto vs Garcia next.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 May 2016, 9:08 pm

AdamT wrote:Good fight for Kell if it happens. Though As you have already mentioned, it will be Berto vs Garcia next.
Unification fight?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 03 May 2016, 9:09 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
AdamT wrote:Good fight for Kell if it happens. Though As you have already mentioned, it will be Berto vs Garcia next.
Unification fight?

Berto isn't champion. Or are you referring to Brook v Garcia??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 May 2016, 9:14 pm

AdamT wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Unification fight?

Berto isn't champion. Or are you referring to Brook v Garcia??
Brook to fight the winner of Berto and Garcia

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 03 May 2016, 9:20 pm

That would be great for Brook. A fight I would certainly back him to win.

In the meantime he should hunt Bradley or even JMM. Get a good name on the ledger.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 03 May 2016, 10:57 pm

JMM is nearly 43...Bradley's just been slapped..

If it's all about a good name...Emile Griffiths is still alive bring him over..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 03 May 2016, 11:01 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:JMM is nearly 43...Bradley's just been slapped..

Should I delete my post? By the highly unlikely chance, Eddie boy is reading this, I wouldn't want to give him any ideas.

Perhaps he could have AJ face Bugner for a co main event!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 May 2016, 11:10 pm

AdamT wrote:

Should I delete my post? By the highly unlikely chance, Eddie boy is reading this, I wouldn't want to give him any ideas.

Perhaps he could have AJ face Bugner for a co main event!
Course Eddie's reading this, the shifty c*nt stole my "Unfinished Business" tagline for Froch/Groves II.

Still, clearly ore important for him to be talking about AJ fighting in China in 2 years time than who Brook will be fighting later in the f*cking year

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 03 May 2016, 11:19 pm

Pretty sure they're now lining up Jesse Vargas (WBO title holder) in preference to Lamont Peterson.

Could be Bramall Lane late summer.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 May 2016, 11:32 pm

Be still my beating heart

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Wed 04 May 2016, 12:45 am

Think you are right Haz. ESPN did an article and looks like yaks are under way with Vargas. Sounds like Vargas so won't travel so if Brook is prepared to go over for a unification fight then I think it's a worthwhile opponent:

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/15928/brook-vargas-welterweight-unification-fight-in-discussions

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Wed 04 May 2016, 1:45 am

I'd imagine Eddie is just waiting until Khan gets ko'd this weekend and will then open talks with him.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2016, 1:46 am

Guest82 wrote:I'd imagine Eddie is just waiting until Khan gets ko'd this weekend and will then open talks with him.  
Might have to wait for him to regain consciousness first

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Wed 04 May 2016, 1:57 am

C'mon. We're all really looking forward to Brook vs Jones 3....

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 04 May 2016, 2:03 am

Hearn has to pull something out - even Brook is sick of wasting his time. I guess Jo Jo Dan suited them as they were worried about the leg injury at that point but Hearn stitched him up with Gavin and then, after another injury, he ends up back in the alphabet soup.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2016, 2:11 am

You could see the frustration on Brook's face after the Bizier fight. He was almost embarrassed to be there and definitely looked p!ssed off. Said it before but this is like Warren and Hatton all over again.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 04 May 2016, 2:15 am

He'll be happy with Vargas and then, with two belts, he'll have more to bargain with.

Only problem is, he'll be back in the mandatory defence business before he hits the showers.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Wed 04 May 2016, 2:37 am

Vargas is much much much better opponent then berth

He got a good win granted but he was down off a pretty meh punch and was himself up against someone whos shown before he hasn't got the mental attitude to be an elite fighter

Berto is also carrying a lot and a lot of miles and simple fact is that he's lost in all of his big fights bar Lopez who had shut him out before a fairly soft stoppage imo.

He has heart no doubt and power but he's a weak fighter and really isn't in brooks league

But hey what else is there apart from the fighters that are tied up
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Wed 04 May 2016, 2:46 am

He died back in 2013. But José Nápoles is still alive and looking for a payday.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2016, 2:49 am

Atila wrote:

Eddie will probably use all the money he should be spending on a big name opponent for Kell to hire private detectives to find Kirkland Laing

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 04 May 2016, 3:58 am

I dont think matchroom have really been about securing the big fights for brook. They are happy making a good profit off risk free, cheap opposition when they can control the whole event. It seems pretty hard to get any big u.s fights now without involving haymon in some way. Brook could consider a similar deal to the likes of degale or else join haymon fully. All the big fights are u.s based and matchroom dont have the same influence or desire to make them happen because they cant turn as big a profit on those fights. Vargas would be a reasonable opponent if they get him. But after that its prob another 3 ibf picked contenders before they step up again.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 04 May 2016, 5:30 am

DAVE667 wrote:
Atila wrote:

Eddie will probably use all the money he should be spending on a big name opponent for Kell to hire private detectives a drug dealer to find Kirkland Laing

Fixed that for you Dave

They just need to tell kirk they're lining up special k, and he'll come running.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 04 May 2016, 6:35 am

catchweight wrote:I dont think matchroom have really been about securing the big fights for brook. They are happy making a good profit off risk free, cheap opposition when they can control the whole event. It seems pretty hard to get any big u.s fights now without involving haymon in some way. Brook could consider a similar deal to the likes of degale or else join haymon fully. All the big fights are u.s based and matchroom dont have the same influence or desire to make them happen because they cant turn as big a profit on those fights. Vargas would be a reasonable opponent if they get him. But after that its prob another 3 ibf picked contenders before they step up again.

Amen.

Its a shame fighters do not take the Haymon approach from over here. Yes its great being milked by Eddie, battering fringe contenders and having the odd scrap every 5 fights with a ranked opponent. But surely with boxing and being a champion comes ambition. Frampton has unified his division and is now stepping up to fight LSC and a new weight. Khan is fighting Canelo 2 weights above probably his best weight.....he too went stateside for Malignaggi, Judah, Maidana, Collazo etc etc all probably better opposition than what Brook has face with the exception of maybe Porter? I don't know.

If I was Brook id have this one fight vs Vargas then I would go to the US. Id start chasing the likes of Thurman, Bradley, Khan, Garcia etc. Id go to THEIR backyard. Yes money is brilliant and is a bonus, but surely being a legend and beating the best available is worth something.

Brook is a talented fighter and has brilliant skills and in my eyes could unify the division and look good doing so......why does he not do it??

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 04 May 2016, 6:43 am

The Haymon way really isn't that great, he's just as bad as everyone else milking his fighters, building up a grudge match and keeping it all in house, there's been the odd good match up but the majority are his house fighters facing past peak names.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 04 May 2016, 7:07 am

I didn't buy Josh v Martin..Because I didn't think it was PPV worthy...But it did good numbers and if I was offered money for old rope like Eddie I'd milk too..

Unfortunately for him he seems to have a fighter who's sensitive to criticism..and rightly has plenty of self respect and dignity..

Brook looks like a guy who won't take garbage for good money for too long..and credit to him for that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 04 May 2016, 7:40 am

Also Truss whilst he will be getting half decent money, it isn't PPV type money. Brook must surely be looking at the money Joshua is pulling through being on PPV, that Khan will be earning this weekend and getting a little restless. I went to the weigh in for the Bizier fight and they were pushing tickets reasonably hard. You'd have to think if they try and put him in with guff next time round they run a good chance of doing it in front of a half empty arena. Us Yorkshiremen do not have a reputation for tightness for nothing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 04 May 2016, 8:06 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I didn't buy Josh v Martin..Because I didn't think it was PPV worthy...But it did good numbers and if I was offered money for old rope like Eddie I'd milk too..

Unfortunately for him he seems to have a fighter who's sensitive to criticism..and rightly has plenty of self respect and dignity..

Brook looks like a guy who won't take garbage for good money for too long..and credit to him for that..

Well if he's been really champing at the bit to prove himself he's been damn patient the last 10 years.

I hope you're right.

Vargas gets him a belt but he was pretty much outclassed by Bradley, so whilst it's a step in the right direction and 'unification' is marketable - it's not exactly clash of the Titans.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 04 May 2016, 8:40 am

I think if Brook wants to get these big fights, he will need either leave Matchroom or else cut Haymon in a co-capacity. I think Matchroom look at these fights in the U.S and basically dont want to share promotions or take less of a cut from the purse. They make good money from these domestic cards by having Sky do all the marketing and controlling the promotion themselves. They dont have the fighters involved as much either. At the moment they under big presure to deliver some kind of respectable fight for Brook so I think they might be able to get in a Peterson or a Vargas who are not anything special, but should be able ease some of the pressure on them. After that though there is probably another series of dud fights rather than kicking on to consistenly fight top opposition. Haymon holds most of the keys to these big fights happening but hes got his own project going on with the PBC concept. If we are lucky we might get Brook v Khan as I think that is the only genuinely big fight Matchroom are seriously considering because they know its a surefire winner in ppv numbers and it makes sense to host it in the UK with Sky ppv catering towards the UK market.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 04 May 2016, 8:43 am

Brook fights Vargas in a unification bout. If he wins he gets the WBO strap. He gets to drop his IBF strap and avoid his mandatory Spense Jr. Brook defends the WBO strap against tomato cans until he's retired, Eddie's transformation into frank Warren is complete.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 04 May 2016, 11:17 pm

jimdig wrote:Brook fights Vargas in a unification bout. If he wins he gets the WBO strap. He gets to drop his IBF strap and avoid his mandatory Spense Jr. Brook defends the WBO strap against tomato cans until he's retired, Eddie's transformation into frank Warren is complete.

And of course, after fighting a couple of WBO eliminators years ago, he turned down a shot at Bradley to sign with Hearn and go down the IBF route. Magic.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 04 May 2016, 11:19 pm

Is Eddie Hearn, Warrens dark apprentice??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Wed 04 May 2016, 11:27 pm

Surely Matchroom just don't want Brook to lose before they land the Khan fight. It's a bit like what Khan has been doing all these years waiting for the Mayweather fight.

They are basically marking time with fights they know Brook will win in the hope that the Khan fight comes off...he will still have his belt and his '0' as bargaining tools.

If Brook gets beaten by, say Garcia, then looks to make the fight with Khan, he will be taking an even smaller % of the purse.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 04 May 2016, 11:39 pm

Yes Khan was doing the same stunt, looking a pay day. He didn't get the Floyd/Manny pay day, but has landed the next best.

On the subject of Khan, has anybody read his delusions on mma? He believes he would be a force and fancied his chances against McGregor.

Is he really that stupid, or does he really have this extreme ego?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 05 May 2016, 12:31 am

AdamT wrote:Yes Khan was doing the same stunt, looking a pay day. He didn't get the Floyd/Manny pay day, but has landed the next best.

On the subject of Khan, has anybody read his delusions on mma? He believes he would be a force and fancied his chances against McGregor.

Just drumming up headlines during fight week - old Floyd trick. Nothing in it.

At least he isn't posting pictures of aborted babies like the classy Mr. Mayweather.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 05 May 2016, 12:33 am

Yeah I guess. I suppose enough MMA fighters slabber about boxing, so why not. Though he is still an ego maniac!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 05 May 2016, 12:47 am

hazharrison wrote:
jimdig wrote:Brook fights Vargas in a unification bout. If he wins he gets the WBO strap. He gets to drop his IBF strap and avoid his mandatory Spense Jr. Brook defends the WBO strap against tomato cans until he's retired, Eddie's transformation into frank Warren is complete.

And of course, after fighting a couple of WBO eliminators years ago, he turned down a shot at Bradley to sign with Hearn and go down the IBF route. Magic.

All those wbo eliminators were credits in the bank to secure the bramhall lane 'stadium' mega unification with Vargas.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 05 May 2016, 1:02 am

AdamT wrote:Yes Khan was doing the same stunt, looking a pay day. He didn't get the Floyd/Manny pay day, but has landed the next best.

Is he really that stupid? Now that's a stupid question.

It's why I can't dislike Khan - for all his delusions. I see him like a little puppy dog. He's endearingly, innocently.... thick.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 05 May 2016, 1:49 am

milkyboy wrote:

Is he really that stupid? Now that's a stupid question.

It's why I can't dislike Khan - for all his delusions. I see him like a little puppy dog. He's endearingly, innocently.... thick.

Oh by God he's thick. Thick as a castle wall.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 May 2016, 3:25 am

Why should a real man like Khan want to associate himself with wallies that role around on the floor on top of each other. .

More money in Boxing...If Mcgregor could fight like a man..

He'd be doing it..

How much did Frampo earn for Quigg again ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 05 May 2016, 6:30 am

Behave Truss. Mma fighters would beat Khan senseless.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 May 2016, 7:47 am

Think Khan was talking about promoting MMA not participating

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 05 May 2016, 8:13 am

He talked about fighting as well.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down