The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tony Cozier - RIP

+3
Good Golly I'm Olly
sirfredperry
LondonTiger
7 posters

Go down

Tony Cozier - RIP Empty Tony Cozier - RIP

Post by LondonTiger Wed 11 May 2016, 5:06 pm

I will miss hearing his wonderful voice. While not as mellifluous or poetic as John Arlott he was perhaps the greatest ever cricket commentator.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Tony Cozier - RIP Empty Re: Tony Cozier - RIP

Post by sirfredperry Wed 11 May 2016, 5:55 pm

Very sad news. Quite clear that he was the complete professional who was totally absorbed in cricket.
Reckon he should be mentioned in the same breath as Arlott and Benaud.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 11 May 2016, 7:17 pm

A true great and by all accounts a fantastic bloke too.

Thoughts are with his family
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 11 May 2016, 8:15 pm

Very sad news. Totally agree with Sir Fred that he was in the very front rank of cricket commentators. He may have been less idiosyncratic than some of the other commentating greats, but that should not in any way detract from his reputation.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 11 May 2016, 8:37 pm

Cricket is a sport that gives you time to talk about it (and about other things Very Happy). It means that as a sport it has had more than it's fair share of great commentators. Other sports move so fast that the commentator is struggling to keep up. The thing with Cozier is on top of his huge base of knowledge, and his obvious love for the game, he always had time - even in the more modern game with T20 etc - to ruminate and discuss, while always making sure you knew the match situation.

He also wrote about the game so eloquently. Maybe not the wordsmith that John Woodcock was, but certainly very assured.

We are now in an era where commentators and newspaper men are exclusively former players. Where "banter" rules the airwaves. Where instant gratification is king. Cozier was old school and will be truly missed. Missed most by his family, by his loved ones and by WI cricket in general. But missed by the rest of us too.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 11 May 2016, 9:25 pm

I echo the comments and tributes above.

I thought Tony Cozier would actually be older than his seventy-five years. I have been listening to cricket commentaries for many years and cannot remember a time when he was not around.

I have just revived a thread for David Coleman that I put up (for some reason in the Football section) when he died. Although subsequent posts there don't refer to Tony Cozier by name, many of the sentiments with other examples are in line with Tiger's last post above.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 12 May 2016, 9:38 am

R.I.P Tony Cozier
the voice of West Indian cricket....it seems forever.
He will be sorely missed.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 12 May 2016, 1:45 pm

Like to add my respects to the sentiments above and from many cricket fans worldwide...He really was West Indies cricket in a commentary sense ; like guildford I had thought him a little older as he seemed to have been part of the game forever...

If we ever get around to reviving the Hall of Fame thread he'd be a good candidate.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down