The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread.

+13
Good Golly I'm Olly
kwinigolfer
Bind up
compelling and rich
Crimey
Galted
Dolphin Ziggler
Rowley
Fernando
NickisBHAFC
Nico the gman
dyrewolfe
GSC
17 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread. - Page 3 Empty The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread.

Post by westisbest Wed 11 May 2016, 9:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok, so writing this a little early, but in fairness we have been down for months.
Been an absolute shocking season to say the least.

With poitive talks of a new owner on the way, managers being touted about.
Pearson would be my choice, although hearing Di Matteo is now favourite.
Hopefully some good news comes out of this.

Players i hope leave in summer:-

Guzan, Lescott, Cissokho, Bacuna, Richardson, Sinclair, Gabby, Sanchez, Kozak, N'Zogbia, Westwood.

Thats alot of players to get rid of.

Players who have been out on loan.

Baker, can stay at Bristol City.
Bennett, back up to Amavi(if he stays).
Steer, can go.
Gardner, definatly keep, will be like a new signing.

Players in.
off the top of my head.

David Marshall, for me best keeper in champioship.
Cyrus Christie, every time i have seen him play for Derby and Ireland he has looked good. Need a new rb.
Alan Judge, had a great season with Brentford, would be a good addition.
Ross McCormack, his name has been touted around with us, could be a decent signing.
Wessi for the experience.
Will Grigg, scored a load for Wigan,  i know its a step up in leagues, but he could do well.

Just a few names there, again just off the top of my head.

Will be difficult, but we really need to keep hold of Ayew and Amavi.

Youngsters.
Andre Green, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Kevin Toner, Jordan Lyden.
These 4 our the main ones for the future. Had a taste of first team action. Hopefully continue to get some first team action next season.

I would take Petrov back, moreso as experience for the team, especially the youngsters. Maybe in a coaching role. I know he wants to play, dont think he would get much first team action.

So the squad would look something like:-

Marshall, Bunn
Christie, Hutton, Okore, Clarke, Toner,  Amavi, Bennett, Richards.
Judge, Wessi, Gana,  Veretout, Traore, Gardner, Gil, Lyden, Green, Grealish
Ayew, Gestede, Hepburn-Murphy, McCormack, Grigg.

Again, this is just off the top of my head, re signings/squad, am sure we may sign 'better players' whoever they may be.

I know the championship will be tough. Games come thick and fast.
Really hope Pearson is the next manager. He knows the league, wont take any sh1t and will get the players performing.

Its a sad goodbye to the premiership and hello champioship.

Here's to a short stay and boune straight back up(whatever the squad is) Ale

westisbest

Back to top Go down

The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread.

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 28 Sep 2016, 12:04 pm

Aston Villa should never be looking to sit back and defend a 1-0 in the championship. You have to go and kill teams off in this league, especially when you are one of the "big" teams

It seems like RDM simply isn't learning at all from the mistakes Villa are making
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: The Aston Villa "lets not out stay our welcome and return to the premiership asap" thread.

Post by westisbest Wed 28 Sep 2016, 12:37 pm

One or two games conceding late goals you could say unlucky, but it has happend all to often.

Agree with Collymore that we should give RDM till the end of october(5 games), if it hasn't changed then he has to go.
He needs to take a look at himself.
Something needs to change.

Then the question is, who do we get?

Elphick, De Laet(although out for season), Adomah, McCormack, Kodjia, Gardner, Baker, all have championship experience so know what this league is about.

RDM does as manager with the Baggies,
Not like him or all the squad are new to this league.

Yes it's a very tough league.

We have a very good squad.
How long should it take for a squad to 'gel'.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 28 Sep 2016, 12:53 pm

Well, its one thing having experience of a league...its another thing entirely for a group of people to bond, enjoy training and playing together and get to the point where they can anticipate each other's moves.

That, on top of getting them to respect and play for the manager, buy into his vision of how he wants them to play.

You could equally ask, "how long is a piece of string"? Wink

It could happen quickly, it might take time, or it might never happen.

Going from our club's experiences, I think it pays to show faith in your manager. RDM is no mug - I'd give him at least 1 full season, regardless of whether you go up or not, to prove he has at least got the potential to get you promoted.

Too many clubs are too quick to fire managers if they don't bring instant success and I think there is something to be said for stability / continuity, as long as performances aren't abject and there are signs of improvement.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 28 Sep 2016, 8:51 pm

Don't nothing it should take more than 10 games for a new team to gel and a new manager to know his team and formations etc.

Just my take on it.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 28 Sep 2016, 9:56 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:You have to go and kill teams off in this league, especially when you are one of the "big" teams

Laugh

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 28 Sep 2016, 10:18 pm

Galted wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:You have to go and kill teams off in this league, especially when you are one of the "big" teams

Laugh

Which is exactly what Norwich didn't do tonight...

Tried to do the Villa tactic and it backfired massively. Gotta keep the foot on the throat
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 28 Sep 2016, 10:19 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Galted wrote:

Laugh

Which is exactly what Norwich didn't do tonight...

Tried to do the Villa tactic and it backfired massively. Gotta keep the foot on the throat

I don't disagree with you but the timing was a b*stard.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 28 Sep 2016, 10:56 pm

Oh yes - Norwivh never fail to make me look like the pillock I am
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 30 Sep 2016, 1:07 pm

westisbest wrote:Don't nothing it should take more than 10 games for a new team to gel and a new manager to know his team and formations etc.

Just my take on it.

Well, all I know is we spent 6 years trying to find the right combination of players and manager. Came close a couple of times with Mowbray, before we appointed Karanka. Think we got lucky in that something just clicked and we started playing well almost straight away...but even then we came mighty close to blowing it on the home stretch.

Oh and us Boro fans have spent the last couple of seasons wondering whether the manager knew his best team, as he almost never fields the same XI 2 games in a row. chin

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 01 Oct 2016, 5:43 pm

Sack him. Everything else for me is meely mouthed excuses. He has a squad of players capable of far better than he is able to get out of them. Tshibola was our best player Tuesday, today he starts on the bench. Absolutely clueless.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 01 Oct 2016, 6:03 pm

Agree 100% Rowley.

Shocking form.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 01 Oct 2016, 9:27 pm

Just seen the highlights.

Both goals shold have been avoided.

Jedinaks pass was beyond woeful.
And Westwood pi55ing around with the ball.

School boy stuf.

Both those 2 have been poor this season.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 01 Oct 2016, 10:37 pm

Disappointing result against a relegation rival today Westi

Need to get back on track soon
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 02 Oct 2016, 9:55 am

Despite our performances I think we will turn it round and be up in top half, a new manager who knows what he is doing will help.

To early for this relegation talk.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 02 Oct 2016, 10:33 am

John Percy says hes gone.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 02 Oct 2016, 11:26 am

Just read on one of the villa news sites that if RDM does go, McLaren is being lined up.

Jesus wept, this can't be true.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 02 Oct 2016, 12:12 pm

westisbest wrote:Just read on one of the villa news sites that if RDM does go, McLaren is being lined up.

Jesus wept, this can't be true.

Is it too late to start a campaign to keep Di Matteo?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 02 Oct 2016, 12:13 pm

Surely Steve Bruce is a much better option, has shown time and time again that he understands the Championship. I know he managed Birmingham City for a long time, but surely Villa would accept that to get a proven manager.

Steve McClaren repeatedly failed with Derby in the Championship and then was seriously awful with Newcastle.

Genuinely think Villa would be better off looking at Sam Allardyce! Even as a PR disaster.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 02 Oct 2016, 12:27 pm

I'd have no problem with either Bruce or Allardyce. As you say Bruce has a proven track record in the championship. With Allardyce, the main criticism tends to be his style of football, but let's not kid ourselves, we've hardly been Barca recently. If it's a choice of poor football and losses or poor football with wins I'll take the latter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 02 Oct 2016, 12:41 pm

I dont think Sam will want it. Will Bruce? Probably, thinking about it, as whilst he is easily good enough to be on shortlists when the sackings start in the Prem, hes not glamorous enough for fans.

I'd say Sam would love it in summer, when he can spend the money rather than dealing with the squad assembled by someone else.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 02 Oct 2016, 12:45 pm

Tend to agree Sam might not be ready to jump back in just yet. Might be biased though but it should still be an attractive job. A new chairman who seems keen to get success, comfortably the biggest club in the second biggest city in the country, a decent fan base and what money is available can be spent on the pitch, the ground and facilities are already in place. The glass ceiling is higher than at most of the clubs guys like Allardyce, Bruce or even someone like Dyche could realistically hope to get offers from.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 02 Oct 2016, 12:52 pm

I don't disagree on that, I just look at what we had to do to get him to our place when we were relegated. He wasnt there to stick around, we were getting up and out of there or he wasnt interested. We bought Allardyce players to do an Allardyce job on that division. I don't see that Villa side that he'd have to work with as suiting him.

I guess two major things to weight up:

He is a Dudley boy, so that part of the country might suit him.

He may still have things to deal with from this Telegraph investigation.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 02 Oct 2016, 12:57 pm

Whether they are Allardyce players or not they are decent. That is the frustrating thing for me, the squad are far better than the results RDM has been able to get. Grealish, Tshibola, Adaomah, McCormack, Chester and Elphick and a couple the others are all more than good enough to get results in the championship. Genuinely believe a manager that can get them set up right will do well with them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 02 Oct 2016, 2:11 pm

I think the perception that McClaren failed at Derby is interesting. Given he inherited a group of lower mid table players and transformed them into promotion contenders, its probably slightly harsh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 02 Oct 2016, 2:43 pm

As you say Rowley, good players at the club. Get the right man in and can see us winning games.

If RDM does go, that's another manager gone in a short space of time.

Just thinking who is available.
Bruce, Big Sam, Warnock(kept Rotherham up), McLaren
Sherwood Whistle

Bruce would be the best choice given his championship record.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Oct 2016, 3:11 pm

McClaren is a clown, he's just enrolled on a sporting directorship degree, stating that it would be his preferred next role, so doubt he's heading to Villa. No chance Big Sam is getting back into football this quick either. Bruce is the only sensible candidate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 02 Oct 2016, 6:37 pm

Steve Round is said to like the Huddersfield gaffer, but might be the wrong time to go for him

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Oct 2016, 9:08 am

As expected, Di Matteo has been sacked

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 03 Oct 2016, 10:20 am

agree with others that bruce would be the best candidate for the job, but anyone else think the new owners will want someone a bit more "glitzy"

its what di matteo was, "champions league winner etc"

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 03 Oct 2016, 11:20 am

That's the angle they went with when appointing RDM.
Got just under 2 weeks till next game.

They have to sit down and really consider the options.

At the moment Bruce would be my no1 choice.
Got the experience of getting teams promoted.

Or will they indeed go for another glitz manager.

Whoever it is I just hope they can get villa winning games and pushing up the table and to challenge for a promotion spot.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:46 pm

deadly doug aint got nothing on villa's recent owners, who'd of thought villa fans would crave a deadly doug back

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 03 Oct 2016, 1:36 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
deadly doug aint got nothing on villa's recent owners, who'd of thought villa fans would crave a deadly doug back

At least Doug Ellis was actually a fan of the club and had some common ground with the fans...unlike Xia.

According to the Beeb, Mick McCarthy and Steve Bruce are the most likely candidates.

Along with David Wagner from Huddersfield, Lee Johnson from Bristol City and Dean Smith from Brentford...presumably if neither of the above two take the job.

Hope whoever they appoint, the give them a fair chance to sort things out. Seems to me that Villa's problems extend way beyond the manager's ability to motivate the players.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 03 Oct 2016, 3:43 pm

I couldn't see us winning games if RDM had continued.
We will never know now.

As they say it's a results business. 1 win in 12(including Luton game), is poor form no matter who you are.

Keep picking the wrong players, sitting back on leads and inviting opponents to come at you, is not good to watch.

Frustrating to watch to say the least.

I quite like Xia, least he tells it as it is and is more hands on, unlike Lerner.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 03 Oct 2016, 6:27 pm

Another name touted around is Gary Rowett.

Wouldn't be the worst option.
Did well at Burton if I remember correctly, doing well with the Blues.

Would he leave them.

Can see it now. Rowett takes over at the Villa and we go to St Andrews at the end of the month and get 3 points.

Maybe not.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 03 Oct 2016, 10:06 pm

I'd be careful when it comes to Xia. Yes he interacts with the fans etc, but first and foremost you need the guy running the club to have a clue. One horrific managerial appointment already.....

Bruce the obvious candidate imo. Rowett a risk, not sure his style would suit a club lie villa tbh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 04 Oct 2016, 8:09 pm

At this stage the following are not under consideration for the @AVFCOfficial job... Allardyce,Pearson,McClaren,Giggs,Cotterill & Sherwood.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 11 Oct 2016, 10:29 pm

New manager announced tomorrow.

Bruce, Clarke, or a surprise manager according to reports.

We shall see.

Whoever it is I hope he can turn the club around.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 12 Oct 2016, 6:59 pm

No surprise with Bruce then.
Would say the best candidate available.

Sadly with being an ex blues manager, if he doesn't get the results sharpish fans will be on his back.

The Derby at the end of the month will be all the more interesting now.

Good luck to him and hopefully he can make things work.
The fact that he used to manage the blues shouldn't really be an issue.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 18 Oct 2016, 9:56 pm

Finally an away win, or just a win.

Hopefully now we can push on with Bruce in charge.

Was supposed to be there tonight. Gutted.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 18 Oct 2016, 10:05 pm

Thank f for that.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 18 Oct 2016, 10:06 pm

Only 6 points off the play-offs now that I dare to look up the table.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 22 Oct 2016, 5:17 pm

Two wins in a row, we're on the charge now.

Will be at St Andrews next Sunday as we make it 3 in 3 Wink

Need to keep this going now as we are still a way off 6th.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat 22 Oct 2016, 5:19 pm

The fact both were late winners relieves some of the stored-up anger from all the late equalisers earlier on in the season. Never ever thought I could tolerate, let alone like, Steve Bruce.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 22 Oct 2016, 5:31 pm

I've never minded Bruce tbh.

So far so good with him in charge.

Early days, but I wonder where we would be if he had been appointed in the summer.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 22 Oct 2016, 5:59 pm

Fantastic win again and cracking goal. My positivity is very much on the increase.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2016, 6:23 pm

Steve Bruce is a good manager.  The only times he has made mistakes has been in the premiership when he has tried to "kick on" by bringing in new players and moving towards a more entertaining form of play - but this is difficult given the limited resources available to him at the clubs he manages.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 22 Oct 2016, 6:28 pm

Making a good run - should see you safe for another season
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:24 pm

Happy for you, Westi. Had to endure a tough start, but with Bruce at the helm, you got a great chance of play-off's now.

As for Ciaran Clark, apart from one howler against Reading, he's been different class for us Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:41 pm

Cheers John.
Yeah hopefully we can push on now.

Yeah seems Clark has been decent for you.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 24 Oct 2016, 12:41 pm

Good to see Villa heading in the right direction. Looks like Bruce has got a grip on whatever problems you were having.

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next