The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC 198 Miocic vs Werdum

2 posters

Go down

UFC 198 Miocic vs Werdum Empty UFC 198 Miocic vs Werdum

Post by Fernando Sun 15 May 2016, 10:48 am

Stipe Miocic silenced 45,000 hardcore Brazilian fans as he brutally knocked out Fabricio Werdum in the first round of the UFC 198 main event to become the heavyweight champion of the world.

The fans were left speechless as they saw their champion conquered, the new king in clear delight at the upset and one of the knockouts of the year thus far.

After exchanging low kicks during the opening moments, Werdum tried to catch Miocic on the run, but ended up being knocked out cold, as the American caught him with a right hook that ended his short reign atop the heavyweight division.

Guys, tonight Stipe Miocic was better than me. Period. He deserves this,' Werdum said. 'However, I promise you that I will be back. I was once a champion and will come back to Curitiba with my title again. I promise you.'

This was the first time a Brazilian world champion had lost his title on home turf with Jose Aldo and Anderson Silva having previously defended their belts in Rio de Janeiro.

After winning the belt, Miocic, alongside his fiance and coaches, paid his respects to the local fans, who were stunned but respectful towards the new champion.

'First off I want to thank the fans,' he said. 'I know you guys were against me, but you were amazing, you make this sport happen. Fabricio Werdum is tough, he had me guessing. I trained hard, man. He's quicker than I thought, he was catching me off guard. It was a good shot.'

In the co-main event, Ronaldo Jacare prevailed in a battle of local legends, making quick work of Vitor Belfort, stopping the former champion with strikes from the mount inside the first frame.

Afterwards, he sent out a message to the middleweight division's top two fighters, with a directed dig at current champion Luke Rockhold, who beat him back in 2011 when both men fought under the Strikeforce banner.

'If I get Rockhold next, I'm going to end him,' Jacare said. 'When we fought, I got robbed, one of the judges had never judged a bout before. I deserve to fight for the belt, I'm not asking, I'm demanding it.'

Yoel Romero was the next in line for a shot at Rockhold's title after Weidman, thanks to his win over Jacare in last December's UFC 194. However, the Cuban was flagged for a potential anti-doping violation and his status remains unclear.

That leaves Jacare as the prime candidate for the next shot at the middleweight belt. Rockhold will defend his title in a rematch with Chris Weidman at UFC 199 on June 4.

Cris Cyborg, who made her UFC debut after years plying her trade in other organisations, demolished the outclassed Leslie Smith in a mere 81 seconds with a barrage of punches. The American fighter complained about the stoppage, though she wasn't defending herself.

Recognised as the best female fighter in the world today, she refused to call out nemesis Ronda Rousey, preferring to thank her opponent, who accepted the bout when no one else in the UFC would.

'Many people who have followed me since the beginning were waiting for me to come to UFC, Cyborg said. 'I'm very happy. I admire Leslie for coming here, because she made my dream come true. I felt good, I didn't get tired. I fought well.'

Controversy marred the second bout of the main card, as Brazilian Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua beat Corey Anderson by split decision, despite being dominated from the top.

Curitiba-born Shogun has now won his past two fights after hitting a rough patch in a legendary career that saw him capture the UFC and Pride GP titles.

'I am very happy, Curitiba deserved such a show,' he said. 'Several champions were born here. I'm happy to represent my city with a victory. Today, I'm the happiest man in the world.

'Now it is time to celebrate with my family and my fans. I will take a rest, improve a lot and come back better.'

There were also wins for Bryan Barberena, Demian Maia, Francisco Trinaldo, Thiago Santos, John Lineker, Rogério Nogueira, Renato Moicano, while Luan Chagas and Sergio Moraes fought to a draw.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

UFC 198 Miocic vs Werdum Empty Re: UFC 198 Miocic vs Werdum

Post by Guest Sun 15 May 2016, 4:35 pm

A decent card from what I have watched, Werdum, Belfort, Maia & Cyborg fights. Had actually forgotten this was on until I noticed your post. Excellent ko from Miocic and whilst I want to take nothing from him that was very poor from Werdum. I'm not sure if he was over confident, but to wade in like that was stupid. I don't want to say I saw that coming but........
I don't think Cyborgs opponent can have any real complaints, ok you can say it was a touch early but another 20 seconds and it would have been over. Outclassed & outmuscled, she looked tense whilst the ref gave the final instructions. Where now for Cyborg? I think she is to big for 135 and there is no 145. Maybe other fighters from 135 can be tempted with big money to face her at catchweight, maybe not. She'll walk through Tate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 16 May 2016, 9:28 am

Cracking counter from Miocic, Werdum was stupid and reckless and deserved to be on the mat.

You can see that Belfort is nothing without the TRT. His body looked floppy and he was completely outclassed by Jacare. Problem for that division is that Rockhold looks completely unbeatable. He humiliated Weidman and looks set to repeat that. Jacare, as good a fighter as he is, isn't in the same league.

The Cyborg fight wasn't fair.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 May 2016, 11:27 am

So I take it Miocic will now face Cain? If Cain wins then I imagine the rematch with Werdum is still on, but if Miocic wins who should be next in line?

I actually thought Belfort looked better than he did against Weidman, maybe he his body is getting used to no TRT. I was surprised that Belfort was rated 3 in the division although there had been talk about him facing Rockhold again if Rockhold beats Weidman again. Yes he looked very good against Weidman I was both surprised and impressed with the way he dealt with him. I have not seen a lot of Jacare, saw him against Mousasi. He also feels he was robbed against Rockhold.

Problem for Cyborg is that she is to big for the UFC womens divisions at the moment, no way can she make 135. I suppose it was unfair weight wise as her opponent moved up 5 pounds while she dropped 5 pounds. But where does she go from her? I don't see many top fighters wanted to move up and fight her at a catchweight with no title on the line. Seems the UFC have no real star name without Rousey and are maybe looking to make Cyborg their marquee name.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 17 May 2016, 11:57 am

Miocic will fight either Cain or Overeem next. Reem has looked fantastic in his last few fights, I'd love to see it.

Belfort shouldn't be considered for a title shot. He's not even close any more.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 May 2016, 12:14 pm

I have been impressed with Overeem recently. He's cut a lot of weight and is now far more patient & technical in his approach after taking some heavy losses basically due to trying to steamroll his opponents and gassing.

The thing with Belfort was that he'd previously ko'd Rockhold back in his TRT days and now Rockhold is champ. Same thing if Cain beats Miocic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 17 May 2016, 12:15 pm

But Belfort was juicing back then. He's a cheat that doesn't belong in the sport.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum