Roland Garros - The 'pre' thread

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roland Garros - The 'pre' thread

Post by lydian on Tue 17 May 2016, 3:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thread to discuss the top to bottom guys chances, prep, ranking pts, news, comparisons, etc.

Summary of everyone’s predictions so far...

Henman Bill
Djokovic 52 %
Nadal 20 %
Murray 10%
Wawrinka 4 %
Nishikori 4 %
Federer 4 %
Others 6% (18% non top 3)

Born slippy

Djokovic 70%
Nadal ?%
Murray ?%
Other ?%

It Must Be Love
Djokovic 73%
Nadal ?%
Murray ?%
Others ?%

Belovedluckyboy
Djokovic 40%
Nadal 30%
Murray 25%
Others 5%

Nore Staat

Djokovic 60 %
Nadal 20 %
Wawrinka 8 %
Murray 8 %
Rest of field 4 % (12% non top 3)

Banbrotam
Djokovic 35%
Nadal 30%
Murray 30%
Others 5%

socal
Djokovic 50%
Nadal 20%
Murray 15%
Wawrinka 5%
Others 10% (25% non top 3)

Lydian
Djokovic 40%
Nadal 25%
Murray 25%
Others 10%

Mad for Chelsea
Djokovic 45%
Nadal 22.5%
Murray 22.5%
Nishikori 4.5%
Wawrinka 4.5%
Others 1% (10% non top 3)

HMM
Djokovic 40%
Nadal 20%
Murray 30%
Others 10%

Guest 82
Djokovic 40%
Nadal 25%
Murray 30%
Others 5%

Barrystar
Djokovic 45%
Nadal 25%
Murray 25%
Others 5%

Summerblues
Djokovic 50%
Nadal 25%
Murray 15%
Others 10%

Averages so far: - posted in OP above also.
Djokovic 49%
Nadal 24%
Murray 20%
Others ~10%

Last edited by lydian on Thu 19 May 2016, 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
lydian

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The 'pre' thread

Post by YvonneT on Thu 19 May 2016, 12:15 pm

Oh yes, BS, I think I was having a senior moment there - I was taking the 12-15 as 12 wins out of 15 rather than 12 wins 15 losses, even though I listed the 2-7 slam finals the normal way. My apologies, lags!

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam on Thu 19 May 2016, 1:11 pm

Born Slippy wrote:
banbrotam wrote:
lydian wrote:Interesting numbers although you might expect that if Murray was once lower ranked so meeting them earlier and hence losing more? Nonetheless, it maybe shows that he can peak more for finals and there is no doubt his form is great going into RG this year so he's a definite contender for sure.

Pretty sure his W/L record prior to July 2008 (i.e. when he became a genuine contender) was fairly decent as he had something like a 3-1 lead against Roger at this time. He had been caned by Novak every time and also lost to Rafa, but his downfall has been numerous SF defeats to his rivals. i.e. the three consecutive slam loses in a row to Rafa in 2011!!

I think his record as at July 08 against Roger was 1-1. He was 0-9 against Novak/Rafa so 1-10 overall at that point. Only one of those was a final so at that point it would have been 0-1 (finals) and 1-9 (non-finals).

It was actually 2-1, but then again I'd forgotten how poor his then record was with Rafa.

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Thu 19 May 2016, 1:18 pm

Oh yes, I'd forgotten Dubai 08 - 2-1 it was.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock on Thu 19 May 2016, 4:09 pm

OK, this is the point where I 'go dark' for Roland Garros.

I'm going on holiday tomorrow, so I'll be missing the first week for sure. After that my plan is to pay no attention until I check the results on the evening of the final Sunday.

Look what you've driven me to, Novak!

Enjoy the tennis everyone.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Thu 19 May 2016, 4:16 pm

Smile enjoy...I don't believe for a second that you wont check the results, lol.
Anyway, your man will be there in the 2nd week barring a disaster!
Funnily enough I'm on hols the 2nd week...in Rafa's homeland...I'm hoping he's still playing by then!
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Thu 19 May 2016, 4:16 pm

Enjoy your holiday HMM.. remember its in the lap of the gods.. he who dares wins !!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Thu 19 May 2016, 4:18 pm

Here's Fed practising at RG today...good signs?

Apparently this is his RG 2016 outfit...does Fed ever look ungraceful in any photo, ever?
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Thu 19 May 2016, 4:24 pm

Fed has just announced on facebook that he's not playing RG.

I regret to announce that I have made the decision not to play in this year’s French Open. I have been making steady progress with my overall fitness, but I am still not 100% and feel I might be taking an unnecessary risk by playing in this event before I am really ready. This decision was not easy to make, but I took it to ensure I could play the remainder of the season and help to extend the rest of my career. I remain as motivated and excited as ever and my plan is to achieve the highest level of fitness before returning to the ATP World Tour for the upcoming grass court season. I am sorry for my fans in Paris but I very much look forward to returning to Roland Garros in 2017.

Last edited by Guest82 on Thu 19 May 2016, 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 on Thu 19 May 2016, 4:24 pm

Don't look up the Saturday night fever Nike ad... God almighty

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Thu 19 May 2016, 4:43 pm

Thanks Guest...that's a shame but entirely understandable. Oh well...that's Nadal as 4th seed then...makes a difference to him for sure as he tends to get better and better the longer slams go on.

Yes temp...bloody awful advert.

On the flipside, and as a mini tribute this is the best tennis photo below I've ever seen and one of the best sports photo ever too.

It never ceases to amaze me...the massive extension of his arms...mid-air pose...the ball spinning away...the sun shining against a dark black sky, all set against a vibrant orange clay court. Amazing shot and doesn't get any better than this?

Even as a solid Nadal fan I will sorely miss this guys grace once he's gone as he's completely irreplaceable Sad

This one's for your iPhone/other wallpaper...BB, emancipator, summerblues, TRuffin, etc...

Last edited by lydian on Thu 19 May 2016, 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 on Thu 19 May 2016, 4:45 pm

Nadal will be the 4th seed now. This probably evens up the draw a lot better

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Thu 19 May 2016, 4:47 pm

...and with that, Federer's record run of 65 consecutive Grand Slams comes to an end...

Re: Nadal, given his average win chance above was 24%, does this news make people think the % changes?
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Thu 19 May 2016, 4:48 pm

Im sorry that the maestro will not appear. I never thought I would say it but the day is fast approaching when Fed will no longer be in the mix.
The sport will miss him without a doubt. But I respect his reasons Smile

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Thu 19 May 2016, 4:59 pm

That's a shame for Fed and his fans but the right decision for him. Even if the back miraculously held up, he can't be fully match fit for a bunch of tough 5 setters.

Pulling out now avoids the draw being overly unbalanced and allows him to focus going forwards.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig on Thu 19 May 2016, 5:01 pm

A wise move. If he doesn't feel 100% is there any point entering? Especially, when you consider how much he has played on clay this season. He'd be putting strains on his body with very little prospect of winning. Best get fully fit for a surface he is more potent on.
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Thu 19 May 2016, 5:16 pm

Goffin practising with Rafa today...seem to be having a laugh...

And Goffin looking a tad more muscly these days too...?

This guy is going to go v.deep in a slam one of these days! Maybe this time...
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love on Thu 19 May 2016, 6:43 pm

Sad that Federer can't play, hopefully he will be ok for grass season which was his main goal anyway.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love on Thu 19 May 2016, 6:45 pm

lydian wrote:Goffin practising with Rafa today...seem to be having a laugh...

And Goffin looking a tad more muscly these days too...?

This guy is going to go v.deep in a slam one of these days! Maybe this time...
You've had faith in Goffin since ages ago, (I think like 2012); and to be fair he has come a long way since then... however I don't see him breaking into the top 5 as he can't generate the power and the game has changed to suit taller athletes.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Thu 19 May 2016, 7:17 pm

I think that Ferrer's success would dispute this. I too have a lot of time for Goffin and like Lydian I too think he can cause some major upsets.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Thu 19 May 2016, 7:35 pm

Exactly Haddie!
IMBL, if that's the case (height & power) then why is Goffin making a big move up the rankings?
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Thu 19 May 2016, 8:02 pm

Federer's not getting any younger. There's an outside chance now he won't play at RG ever again. He may decide next year to skip it ahead of Wimbledon, even if fit. Assuming he doesn't retire at the end of this season of course, which is a possibility, if injury situation isn't good or he has a poor season.

Sounds like he'll be well fit for Wimbledon. I wonder if he'll look at playing 2 grass warm up events, so few matches played. If he does only plan one he'll want to avoid losing in the first match and going into Wimbledon not really ready as a result.

I would either play 2 events, if I were him, or arrange some competitive private matches against top 20-30, or some competitive exhibitions.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Thu 19 May 2016, 8:06 pm

What is amazing is that Federer has to this point been in every grand slam since USO 1999...!!!!!
Wow Shocked
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Thu 19 May 2016, 8:11 pm

My guess is that he obviously wants to play Wimbledon but he also wants to play in the Olympics yes?? does anyone know what the court surface is in Rio ?

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love on Thu 19 May 2016, 8:17 pm

lydian wrote:
IMBL, if that's the case (height & power) then why is Goffin making a big move up the rankings?
I like Goffin, I really hope he does well.
But I don't seem him winning Slams, I hope I'm wrong.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Thu 19 May 2016, 8:23 pm

But your wrong re height. he is actually fractionally taller than Nishikori Smile

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Thu 19 May 2016, 9:02 pm

True HN, and David Ferrer was staple top 5-6 for a decade at 5'9', got to the semis of most slams.
With the big boys aging and he's 25...I don't see why he cant make a push at some point.
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 19 May 2016, 9:08 pm

lydian wrote:...and with that, Federer's record run of 65 consecutive Grand Slams comes to an end...

Re: Nadal, given his average win chance above was 24%, does this news make people think the % changes?
My percentages assumed Federer wouldn't make Roland Garros - it was pretty obvious he was going to pull out.  The betting company averages had Federer as a less than 2% chance of winning RG. Nadal remains second favourite and he will still have to beat Djokovic to win Roland Garros assuming Djokovic doesn't get knocked out in an earlier round.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 19 May 2016, 9:14 pm

Tennis Players Going to the Olympics: It seems not many athletes are taking the Zika virus seriously.  A few golfers have said they won't be going to Brazil because of the Zika virus outbreak --> golf courses tend to have lakes and damp conditions that attract biting insects that may be harbouring the Zika virus.  It is said that the risk of getting it are low because the Olympics is occurring in the Brazilian "winter" when there are few biting mosquitoes around.

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT on Thu 19 May 2016, 10:08 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Sounds like he'll be well fit for Wimbledon. I wonder if he'll look at playing 2 grass warm up events, so few matches played. If he does only plan one he'll want to avoid losing in the first match and going into Wimbledon not really ready as a result.

I would either play 2 events, if I were him, or arrange some competitive private matches against top 20-30, or some competitive exhibitions.
Federer was already signed up to play Stuttgart in the week after Roland Garros. It's not a strong field (http://www.tennisabstract.com/entrylists/2016-Stuttgart-EntryList.html) so should allow some easing in. Halle is obviously much stronger but not as strong as Queens this year. Not only should this give Federer a good preparation for Wimbledon (assuming he is fit, of course), but all these grass points are doubled for Wimbledon seeding so might offset some of the points lost by missing RG.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Thu 19 May 2016, 11:04 pm

Thanks Yvonne. Is it good that Federer avoids the stronger field at Queens, playing himself into form and fitness against 20-50 ranked players do you think? Or might he have benefitted from playing someone big at Queens? A moot point I suppose, since he never plays Queens.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx on Thu 19 May 2016, 11:14 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:My guess is that he obviously wants to play Wimbledon but he also wants to play in the Olympics yes?? does anyone know what the court surface is in Rio ?

Hardcourt - similar to what they use in the States in the other tournaments around that time.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Thu 19 May 2016, 11:34 pm

Yes OG is nearly always DecoTurf like USO.
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Fri 20 May 2016, 1:31 am

Well now that Federer's out and I said there was a 4% chance of him winning I of course need to redo my calculations and decide exactly how to redistribute this 4% between Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and others. It could be that this increases Djokovic's chances of winning from 52% to probably around 53.3% while IMBL will need to change his Djokovic's odds from 73% to around 74.26% I think it should be, however that's just provisional subject to a very detailed analysis I can produce tomorrow (do you all think it's worthy of a separate thread?).

I then look forward to a 6-page debate about what particular mathematical theory I use to redistribute the 4% and whether that should be additive/multiplication based and whether or not it should be weighted. I'll probably give 2% of the 4% to Djokovic, and IMBL will argue it should be only 1.5% however let's not get ahead of ourselves here. We can then argue about the discrepancy of say 0.5% for several pages more with various arguments surrounding matchup, draw position, surface speed and so on and eventually produce some kind of meta analysis of bookies odds to determine who is right.

Once I've finished that we can all agree that Djokovic will win and I should get a life.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 20 May 2016, 4:15 am

Henman Bill wrote:Federer's not getting any younger. There's an outside chance now he won't play at RG ever again. He may decide next year to skip it ahead of Wimbledon ...
How about Rafael Nadal skipping the grass season? His performance at Wimbledon
2012 Loses in second round
2013 Loses in first round
2014 Loses in fourth round
2015 Loses in second round

Nadal can't bend his knees to get down to low bouncing skidding balls. At least that has been his explanation for his form at Wimbledon over recent years. He should perhaps focus his attention on slowish courts with high bouncing balls that behave consistency: French Open & Australian Open.

Any comments?

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy on Fri 20 May 2016, 4:42 am

Nah, Rafa should also play the USO. His results there were better than at the AO. Except for last year, Rafa's results at the USO were good after 2007 - SF,SF,W,F,W. He didnt play in 2012 and 2014.

Perhaps losing early at Wimbledon helps save him the energy for the USO. In the past he used to run out of energy by the time the USO arrived, after working so hard at the channel slams; 2008 and 2010 were the exceptions than the norm - his peak years.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy on Fri 20 May 2016, 4:49 am

Now that Fed stops at 65 consecutive slam appearances, maybe Novak can hunt that record down too? Novak is at 45 now I think, up to the AO this year.

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Fri 20 May 2016, 7:07 am

Nore Staat wrote:
Henman Bill wrote:Federer's not getting any younger. There's an outside chance now he won't play at RG ever again. He may decide next year to skip it ahead of Wimbledon ...
How about Rafael Nadal skipping the grass season?  His performance at Wimbledon
2012 Loses in second round
2013 Loses in first round
2014 Loses in fourth round
2015 Loses in second round

Nadal can't bend his knees to get down to low bouncing skidding balls.  At least that has been his explanation for his form at Wimbledon over recent years.  He should perhaps focus his attention on slowish courts with high bouncing balls that behave consistency: French Open & Australian Open.

Any comments?

Well yes and no.. Not sure he needs an explanation for his form at Wimbledon really, he has at least won it twice.
He seems to favour the US Open but I think he would love another crack for the Gold in Rio..two in his cabinet would look pretty impressive for a few years Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy on Fri 20 May 2016, 7:43 am

Belovedluckyboy wrote:Now that Fed stops at 65 consecutive slam appearances, maybe Novak can hunt that record down too?  Novak is at 45 now I think, up to the AO this year.

Berdych currently on 50 as well.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar on Fri 20 May 2016, 9:30 am

Federer's absence may greatly favour Nadal because, as I assume, now he is in the top 4 seeds he can only be drawn to face his two main threats in the SF, Djokovic and Murray.

Experience suggests that if Nadal manages to fight his way through to a slam SF he has been hellish difficult to beat, his SF record is 20:3 - and none of those 3 defeats were at RG of course.

Therefore, from making Murray and Nadal joint second favourites, I would now change to putting Nadal out on his own as second favourite, and by a bigger margin if he is drawn in Murray's half than if he is drawn in Djokovic's half.
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx on Fri 20 May 2016, 10:07 am

Monfils out with a viral infection.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Fri 20 May 2016, 10:48 am

I presume we'll now have a French minister announcing that Fed is on a silent ban...?

That's a shame for Monfils (and the crowd) at his home slam.

Quite agree Barry...Nadal builds up a head of steam in slams, the longer he has to build the momentum the better and as you say his SF record is pretty good once there. I'd still have Djokovic at 40%, Nadal 30%, Murray 25% and the rest 5%.

However...have you guys been watching Stan's progress at ATP Geneva clay event this week?
His wins so far contain lots of bakery products...61 61 & 63 61...so looks like he could be ominously heading into some form.
Plays Rosol today for spot in the final (Ferrer vs Cilic in other SF).
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Fri 20 May 2016, 11:05 am

Murray in Nadals half.
Djokovic in Stans.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Fri 20 May 2016, 11:06 am

Nishikori in Murrays quarter (I think)

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Fri 20 May 2016, 11:07 am

Berdych - Djokovic
Tsonga - Nadal
Raonic - Stan

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 on Fri 20 May 2016, 11:09 am

Thiem in Rafa's section.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff on Fri 20 May 2016, 11:39 am

lydian wrote:I presume we'll now have a French minister announcing that Fed is on a silent ban...?

That's a shame for Monfils (and the crowd) at his home slam.

Quite agree Barry...Nadal builds up a head of steam in slams, the longer he has to build the momentum the better and as you say his SF record is pretty good once there. I'd still have Djokovic at 40%, Nadal 30%, Murray 25% and the rest 5%.

However...have you guys been watching Stan's progress at ATP Geneva clay event this week?
His wins so far contain lots of bakery products...61 61 & 63 61...so looks like he could be ominously heading into some form.
Plays Rosol today for spot in the final (Ferrer vs Cilic in other SF).

Oh my word.. perish the thought 606 would go on a melt down Rolling Eyes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Fri 20 May 2016, 12:02 pm

lol...I actually read someone saying that seriously (!) on another forum...geez!
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill on Fri 20 May 2016, 4:06 pm

It's a worthy question that Rafa should skip Wimbledon, but I think it depends on his fitness and how deep he goes at the FO. I doubt he will do it but it's worth considering.

It would be nice if he got a proper goodbye there - one more deep run.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 on Fri 20 May 2016, 4:09 pm

NO Monfils is a major loss. He's entertainment gold with the French crowd behind him, and he had good form...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian on Fri 20 May 2016, 5:01 pm

So the form horses...if we look at the finals for the 2 ATP clay events this week...are:

Geneva: Wawrinka vs Cilic
Nice: Zverev vs Thiem (just won 1st set of SF 6-1)

I do question why Stan is competing this week though Headscratch
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum