The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Define Hacker

+18
hend085
Hibbz
1GrumpyGolfer
EmmDee57
JAS
puligny
Nay
AlciG
Roller_Coaster
raycastleunited
kwinigolfer
navyblueshorts
beninho
Davie
MontysMerkin
LadyPutt
super_realist
McLaren
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Define Hacker - Page 2 Empty Define Hacker

Post by McLaren Wed May 18, 2016 6:11 am

First topic message reminder :

I used the term hacker on the thread about practicing the short game which descended into a discussion about whether or not "hackers" should club up.  Using hacker is clearly a pejorative term but the degree to which it riles people is always a shock.  I suspect much of the backlash on the aforementioned thread was due to the use of "hacker".

I would like fellow posters to provide what they think the definition of a hacker is and whether you have a handicap range to which you think it applies universally?

Try and describe the type of shots you think a hacker would hit, their approach to shot selection and course management or even what they would wear or the type of club they use. I am looking for the set of attributes you think those in the hacker category would have.

I will add my definition into the mix but will not provide it in the opening post to avoid biasing the responses.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Define Hacker - Page 2 Empty Re: Define Hacker

Post by JAS Sun May 22, 2016 3:55 pm

I'm putting a lot of good work into being a hacker, went up to 7 today, so from 4.2 to 6.5 in 20 months, Twice in 8 days I haven't broken net 80. Cruising along middle of fairway middle of green and missed birdie putts for the first 4 holes (actually 3 putted 4), tugged one slightly left on the 5th, a little bit blocked out, tried to draw a 7 iron recovery, nicked the top of the last tree and it kicked hard left, 3 attempts at ambition over ability later I tapped in for a raspberry ripple, held it together for the rest of the front 9 before missing a 3 foot par putt on 9, still not bad. But that was the end of JAS the golfer, 2 soapy bubbles and another raspberry ripple on the back 9 I felt very much like JAS the hacker. No double hits though. Annoyingly short game and putting are decent. Just came off the rails on the tee...again.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun May 22, 2016 4:57 pm

JAS - I know exactly what you mean! Have you read Mark Brodie's book, Every Shot Counts? Interesting statistical review of golf, which makes the point that more shots are lost off the tee than anywhere else. I'm having similar troubles, and working very hard on tee shots right now.
Good luck - I'm sure it will turn around - hopefully for both of us!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun May 22, 2016 7:58 pm

Davie

I can't deny I laughed out load at that. How is it even possible to double hit from the fairway. How high in the follow through did you make the 2nd contact?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon May 23, 2016 3:09 am

Had a steady level par round yesterday and interestingly was only short 3/18.

Tried deliberately to club up when I was in doubt of the yardage. The three short were simply poorly hit, rather than the wrong club.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon May 23, 2016 3:49 am

I like the thought that a clubs position in your bag dictates your hacker status. Golf is much more complicated than I first thought.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon May 23, 2016 4:02 am

MontysMerkin wrote: I like the thought that a clubs position in your bag dictates your hacker status. Golf is much more complicated than I first thought.

It's common sense. If you have your woods at the bottom, they get chipped to bits on the shaft by your irons. Only a hacker would do that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon May 23, 2016 4:05 am

I like to hang mine off my shopping trolley with bits of elastic. Leaves more room to collect cans and bottles.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Mon May 23, 2016 12:04 pm

Once saw a guy double hit a pitch when trying to get on the green over a water hazard. His double hit was so flush it made the ball fly over the burn and onto the green whereas had he not connected with it, it would have entered the hazard.
So, the penalty shot incurred for the double hit, saved him a shot. Now that takes real talent (or severe hackerness......)

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Mon May 23, 2016 12:40 pm

A guy in our Sunday group missed the ball yesterday.  90 yards or so to green, perfect lie, no obstacles to contend with; hit so far behind it that he never made contact or even disturbed the ball despite his excavation. After staring at it for a few moments, he looked up, and said "I missed it, I have no idea how that happened" Needless to say his playing partners couldn't tell him either as they were too busy laughing

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon May 23, 2016 1:53 pm

grumpy

Spieth was about bees dick away from doing that with his second attempt at getting to 12 during the masters.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon May 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Worst i have managed was about 5 years ago after a particularly impressive drive for me at the time, (i hit the fairway) i stepped up to hit a lovely iron onto the green lashed at the ball so hard only to top the ball so badly that it only succeeded in putting some spin on the ball, so it spun backwards half a foot further from the hole.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Mon May 23, 2016 4:23 pm

I can remember "hitting" a ball so badly out of the heel of a three wood that it rolled between my legs.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Tue May 24, 2016 4:22 am

EmmDee57 wrote:Once saw a guy double hit a pitch when trying to get on the green over a water hazard. His double hit was so flush it made the ball fly over the burn and onto the green whereas had he not connected with it, it would have entered the hazard.
So, the penalty shot incurred for the double hit, saved him a shot. Now that takes real talent (or severe hackerness......)

guy i was playing with holed his pitch with a double hit on Saturday. hes not a hacker by most peoples standards which made it even funnier! duffed his  chip  from about 50 feet away and then gave it another 45 feet of momentum with his follow thru. it toppled into the hole ala Woods on the 16th at augusta Smile

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue May 24, 2016 8:03 am

Had a bit of decent 'hack' myself last Saturday. Playing pretty good. Looking to drop 0.1, maybe 0.2, drive in middle of par 4 18th fairway ~140 from pin and breeze behind. Settled over chosen PW and........shank OoB Shocked . WTF?!?! No idea where it came from. Finished in buffer zone. Had to laugh.....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:06 pm

I've recently come back to this forum following a few years of absence and I have to say it's great to see many of the old names from the previous 606 site still going strong. The quality of posts continues to impress me, particularly from the more prolific posters. As a hacker of some repute, I am guilty of, and can identify with, all the various characteristics mentioned previously in this thread together with the mannerisms. This post tickled me and reminded me that I must visit this forum more often in future.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:23 pm

Welcome back Yads!!!!

Are you in France or in New Zealand?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:51 pm

Thanks kwini, good to see you are still posting always considered thoughtful views and information. I'm in Wales kwini slowing down after a few hectic years. I quite fancy young Mr Lowry to do the business evening, even 'super' may be impressed if he wins!

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:24 pm

If he did I would be impressed as he's often a four round bottler.
4 shots is a great head start, but there's been a few holocausts on this course.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Will you praise him for a week if he wins?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:02 pm

Welcome back Yads .. good to see some old names returning

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:50 pm

pedro wrote:Will you praise him for a week if he wins?

No, He failed last year when I made that forfeit. Sadly it looks like the fat knacker is nailed on for Ryder Cup though. I smell another Stephen Gallacher.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:07 pm

Davie wrote:Welcome back Yads .. good to see some old names returning

Cheers Davie

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:17 pm

Recent hacker moments.

Yesterday I played in our Member/Member tournament. I shot 83 which was almost double my handicap. In that score I had an eight on the first (quad), a nine on the ninth (quintuple), and a seven on the fifteenth (another quad). I lost four balls on those three holes. I put a pink Bridgestone Lady Precept into play for the last three holes and made two birdies and par.

Today I made a six on one of our par threes without losing the ball; I played that pink ball the whole way round today. Our Club Champion also made two sixes on par threes without losing a ball on either.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:27 pm

Define hacker? Lee Westwood on the last day of a major when he's in contention!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:30 pm

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:Recent hacker moments.

Yesterday I played in our Member/Member tournament.  I shot 83 which was almost double my handicap.  In that score I had an eight on the first (quad), a nine on the ninth (quintuple), and a seven on the fifteenth (another quad).  I lost four balls on those three holes.  I put a pink Bridgestone Lady Precept into play for the last three holes and made two birdies and par.

Today I made a six on one of our par threes without losing the ball; I played that pink ball the whole way round today.  Our Club Champion also made two sixes on par threes without losing a ball on either.

I do trust you won't be playing with that pink Bridgestone Lady Precept ball when I introduce you as my guest at Thorndon Park next month? Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:39 pm

Depends if I still have it....

Channeling Mac's SJW I could say I was doing it solidarity of gender identity issues, and Orlando, and gender neutral bathrooms or I could really say I was fed up of losing Pro V 1s and didn't want to lose another one.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:30 am

Don't worry then Grumps, I'll have a big box of Donnay golf balls waiting for you on the first tee! Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2