Roland Garros - The Draw

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by lydian on Fri 20 May 2016, 11:06 am

First topic message reminder :

DJOKOVIC
1R Lu
2R Qualifier
3R Delbonis
4R Bautista-Agut / TOMIC(!) / Coric / Fritz
QF Berdych / Ferrer / Lopez
SF Nadal / Thiem / Goffin
F Murray / Wawrinka

MURRAY
1R Qualifier
2R Bourgue / Qualifier
3R Karlovic / Montanes
4R Isner / Paire (...or Edmund? Wink )
QF Nishikori / Kyrgios
SF Wawrinka / Raonic
F Djokovic / Nadal

WAWRINKA
1R Rosol
2R Klizan
3R Chardy / Mayer
4R Simon / Dimitrov / Troicki
QF Raonic / Cilic
SF Murray / Nishikori / Kyrgios
F Djokovic / Nadal

NADAL
1R Groth
2R Bagnis / Qualifier
3R Fognini
4R Thiem / Zverev
QF Tsonga / Goffin
SF Djokovic
F Murray / Wawrinka


Last edited by lydian on Fri 20 May 2016, 11:47 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
lydian

Posts : 9165
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down


Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by Danny_1982 on Sat 21 May 2016, 7:44 am

BBC are reporting that Murray's half starts on Monday, which is good news for him. Overall it's a pretty good draw for Andy. Only real downside is having Nish as QF opponent. That will be tough. If he gets through that then Stan is a bit of an unknown. What Stan will turn up?

Only way I really see Andy winning this is if he gets to the final way fresher than Novak, like in Rome. So his chances are aligned to how efficient Novak is. Same if it's Rafa really.

Danny_1982

Posts : 3232
Join date : 2011-06-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by Guest on Sat 21 May 2016, 9:03 am

Getting to the final will be a career achievement in itself for Andy Murray.  He has yet to reach a French Open final.  

Andy Murray's Previous Record at Roland Garros
2010 Lost in fourth round to Thomas Berdych 6-4 7-5 6-3
2011 Lost in semi final to Rafael Nadal: 6-4 7-5 6-4
2012 Lost in quarter final to David Ferrer: 6-4 6-7 6-3 6-2
2013 Absent
2014 Thrashed in semi-final to Rafael Nadal: 6-3 6-2 6-1.
2015 Lost in hard fought semi-final to Novak Djokovic: 6-3 6-3 5-7 5-7 6-1.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sat 21 May 2016, 11:06 am

Danny_1982 wrote:BBC are reporting that Murray's half starts on Monday, which is good news for him. Overall it's a pretty good draw for Andy. Only real downside is having Nish as QF opponent. That will be tough. If he gets through that then Stan is a bit of an unknown. What Stan will turn up?

Only way I really see Andy winning this is if he gets to the final way fresher than Novak, like in Rome. So his chances are aligned to how efficient Novak is. Same if it's Rafa really.

If I am being honest I'd much sooner Andy started tomorrow. That way, should he reach the Final, he'd have the maximum time to recover for it - not now though. Sad
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 15488
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 48
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by Danny_1982 on Sat 21 May 2016, 11:13 am

You know what Craig, I forgot the FO started on the Sunday! I thought Murray had the bonus playing first day. Obviously not. I guess Novak starts tomorrow then.

Danny_1982

Posts : 3232
Join date : 2011-06-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by Born Slippy on Sat 21 May 2016, 11:54 am

R1 is over 3 days though. Last year, the top 4 played as follows:

Sunday - Fed (2nd seed)
Monday - Andy (3rd seed); Berdych (4th seed);
Tuesday - Novak

Novak and Andy were in the top half and Fed and Berdy in the bottom half. Once it settled down, the bottom half played first (i.e. Wed, Fri, Sun, Tue).

If Andy's half "starts" on Monday that would mean his half is the later one. I don't see it being a big issue at the French though. Both SF are played on the same day and Rafa v Nole (if that occurs) will be the marquee match, which I would assume would be the later start.

Born Slippy

Posts : 4014
Join date : 2012-05-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by Born Slippy on Sat 21 May 2016, 11:56 am

Andy has Stepanek by the way as his qualifier in R1. Probably the toughest possible qualifier for him but hard to see him losing over 5 sets.

Born Slippy

Posts : 4014
Join date : 2012-05-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by socal1976 on Sat 21 May 2016, 5:19 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:BBC are reporting that Murray's half starts on Monday, which is good news for him. Overall it's a pretty good draw for Andy. Only real downside is having Nish as QF opponent. That will be tough. If he gets through that then Stan is a bit of an unknown. What Stan will turn up?

Only way I really see Andy winning this is if he gets to the final way fresher than Novak, like in Rome. So his chances are aligned to how efficient Novak is. Same if it's Rafa really.

As I said Danny big disadvantage right off the bat that no one is talking about is how Novak starting literally last means even with a little delay in any of the matches before him due to rain on center he could be starting his first match two days later than Murray but he will have to catch up.

socal1976

Posts : 14212
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : southern california

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by socal1976 on Sat 21 May 2016, 5:21 pm

Born Slippy wrote:R1 is over 3 days though. Last year, the top 4 played as follows:

Sunday - Fed (2nd seed)
Monday - Andy (3rd seed); Berdych (4th seed);
Tuesday - Novak

Novak and Andy were in the top half and Fed and Berdy in the bottom half. Once it settled down, the bottom half played first (i.e. Wed, Fri, Sun, Tue).

If Andy's half "starts" on Monday that would mean his half is the later one. I don't see it being a big issue at the French though. Both SF are played on the same day and Rafa v Nole (if that occurs) will be the marquee match, which I would assume would be the later start.

So which half goes first now I am confused?

socal1976

Posts : 14212
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : southern california

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by socal1976 on Sat 21 May 2016, 5:23 pm

BS who goes first in the FO is huge, BS. (see socal's weather theorem) Do not underestimate the value of going first in this rain delay nightmare of tournament. Last year Novak started his match 2 days later but eventually has to catch up.

socal1976

Posts : 14212
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : southern california

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by summerblues on Sat 21 May 2016, 5:32 pm

It looks like bottom half is going first.

So, it follows from the Scheduling Corollary to socal's Weather Theorem that Nole is toast.

summerblues

Posts : 4430
Join date : 2012-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by Born Slippy on Sat 21 May 2016, 5:37 pm

Yep schedule for day one is out. Kei the highest ranked player in action - bottom half it is.

Born Slippy

Posts : 4014
Join date : 2012-05-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by YvonneT on Sat 21 May 2016, 5:40 pm

Yip, bottom half play Sun/Mon (Nishikori is playing tomorrow) and then R2 Wednesday. Top half Mon/Tues then R2 Thursday.

I think the tournament schedule is pretty fair regardless, with the 2 halves back on the same day before the final, but RG can be badly affected by the weather. I believe that tomorrow is already forecast to be a bit of a washout.

Wawrinka & Cilic must be coming from final in Geneva today to play again on Monday - at least Thiem and Zverev don't need to start until Tuesday.

YvonneT

Posts : 732
Join date : 2011-12-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by lags72 on Sat 21 May 2016, 6:21 pm

socal1976 wrote:



As I said Danny big disadvantage right off the bat that no one is talking about is how Novak starting literally last means even with a little delay in any of the matches before him due to rain on center he could be starting his first match two days later than Murray but he will have to catch up.



Well I wouldn't be sure that "no one is talking about it" - although, admittedly, it's perhaps questionable that anyone else is so concerned as to be talking about it with quite the same level of self-interest ...... !!

But, hey ....... fear not, socal : it must be only a matter of time before - in your own words - "the entire western media steals my line and runs with it ......" Very Happy

lags72

Posts : 3870
Join date : 2011-11-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by socal1976 on Sat 21 May 2016, 8:14 pm

lags72 wrote:
socal1976 wrote:



As I said Danny big disadvantage right off the bat that no one is talking about is how Novak starting literally last means even with a little delay in any of the matches before him due to rain on center he could be starting his first match two days later than Murray but he will have to catch up.



Well I wouldn't be sure that "no one is talking about it" - although, admittedly, it's perhaps questionable that anyone else is so concerned as to be talking about it with quite the same level of self-interest ...... !!

But, hey ....... fear not, socal : it must be only a matter of time before - in your own words - "the entire western media steals my line and runs with it ......" Very Happy

Ah lags, its a matter of fact and a number of the older poster will attest that since my days as FA and socalfootiefan I have been discussing the golden era which was first scoffed at and then LITERALLY YEARS LATER THE ENTIRE WESTERN MEDIA LITERALLY TOOK THE EXACT WORDS I USED HUNDREDS OF TIMES ON BBC and cut and pasted it, just saying. See when I say it, it sounds like hyperbole to you but that is actually what happened.

It is tough to be a visionary, the world is filled with little Salieri's like you and too few Mozart's like me. If I really wanted to do the list of things SOCAL has been proven wrong or right on and do the same list with my esteemed critics such as yourself and others, I don't think you would like the results of that comparison.

socal1976

Posts : 14212
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : southern california

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by socal1976 on Sat 21 May 2016, 8:16 pm

Its a huge deal, the damn FO always screws Novak with scheduling. He needs to throw his weight around as number 1 and start crapping on them in the media if he is going to get the sheet schedule every single FO, he started last in the last one and it ended up contributing to his demise quite a bit. And now again he is the last to start last again, probably after 3 or 4 lengthy rain delays while Murray is sitting in the tub resting, same as Stan by the way.

socal1976

Posts : 14212
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : southern california

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by CaledonianCraig on Sat 21 May 2016, 8:31 pm

Nobody knows what the westher will do though socal. It vould see Monday's play rained off and Murrsy's schedule screwed up or any other player for that which could see them playing on consecutive days.
avatar
CaledonianCraig

Posts : 15488
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 48
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by socal1976 on Sat 21 May 2016, 8:50 pm

yes craig it is possible that Murray could get rained out in the next round and therefore he could be the one who is delayed, but by going first you are automatically guaranteed well of being first and therefore you don't have that worry with round 1. If you can't play the tournament hasn't started really so you are ok, that is the big advantage of going first.

socal1976

Posts : 14212
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : southern california

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by lags72 on Sat 21 May 2016, 9:03 pm

socal : yes .... I've never doubted - not for one moment - that all you say here on 606 is of course pure fact (as opposed to mere subjective personal opinion). How could anyone doubt it ......??

Mind you, as far as your assertion that a number of older posters will attest that later the entire western media took the words you used hundreds of times and cut & pasted it all .... hmm..... Let's just say that I don't think the 'number' is of such magnitude that we'll ever need crowd control procedures to hold them back.

lags72

Posts : 3870
Join date : 2011-11-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by lydian on Sat 21 May 2016, 9:38 pm

Haha lags...socal is the trawler ploughing through rough seas behind which all of us seagulls follow for any scraps of prescience thrown our way!
avatar
lydian

Posts : 9165
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by Haddie-nuff on Sat 21 May 2016, 9:53 pm

I cant ever  remember the weather being such a lengthy point of discussion prior to a major tournament on 606 before.. I thought it was only us Brits that were forever complaining about the weather. Rain delays affect every player surely not just Djokovic. :

Haddie-nuff

Posts : 6688
Join date : 2011-02-27
Location : Returned to Spain

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by lags72 on Sat 21 May 2016, 10:50 pm

lydian wrote:Haha lags...socal is the trawler ploughing through rough seas behind which all of us seagulls follow for any scraps of prescience thrown our way!

I assume lydian that by "all of us seagulls" you're referring not only to we humble 606 members, but the entire western media chin

lags72

Posts : 3870
Join date : 2011-11-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by socal1976 on Sun 22 May 2016, 6:24 pm

lydian wrote:Haha lags...socal is the trawler ploughing through rough seas behind which all of us seagulls follow for any scraps of prescience thrown our way!

Wow, I really like the turn of phrase, bravo! I couldn't of described my difficult and tumultuous journey on this site any better myself. Thank you for understanding all that I have gone through.

socal1976

Posts : 14212
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : southern california

Back to top Go down

Re: Roland Garros - The Draw

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum