The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parker v Takam

+15
milkyboy
ONETWOFOREVER
Hammersmith harrier
Mr Bounce
mikeymax71
RanjitPatel
Knowsit17
djlovesyou
Dipper Brown
mobilemaster8
melv500
rapidringsroad
BoxingFan88
ebop
catchweight
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Parker v Takam Empty Parker v Takam

Post by catchweight Sat 21 May 2016, 12:58 pm

A good fight!. Round 8 in particular. Takam gave Parker a very good fight who looked at a several times in the fight that he might not have the gas to get over the line. Fight was very competitive and will give Parker some great experence to take forward. He had to dig deep and empty the tank to grind out the win. Nice to judges carding 116-112, 116-112, 116-115 scoring the fight pretty fairly instead of stitching Takam up. On this basis it doesnt look like Parker will have enough to beat Joshua if they do actually meet early next year but he has got the kind of examination and experience that Joshua has yet to get in his matches so far.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Parker v Takam Empty Re: Parker v Takam

Post by ebop Sat 21 May 2016, 1:25 pm

Why does Parker not have enough to beat AJ?
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 21 May 2016, 2:05 pm

I dont think he has enough physical strength to cope with Joshua power and doesnt look to have enough ringcraft to avoid Joshua's punching. If Joshua had caught Parker with some of the shots Takam did, it would have been curtains I think. Takam is better than anyone Joshua has beaton so far though. Would have been a far better opponent for Joshua than Breazele.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 21 May 2016, 2:24 pm

He gets caught flush to easily

Goes back on straight lines with his head in the air

At times forgets to block punches

Seemed gassed at times too needs to work on conditioning

Showed a lot of heart and guts don't think he will be found wanting in those areas

His coach seems to be down to earth they will mange him well

Should avoid Aj though skill gap too wide

Dillian whyte would be an interesting one

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Sun 22 May 2016, 4:33 am

Agree with everything Boxing Fan says. Parker isn't ready to mix it with the big boys yet and I'm not sure if he ever will be. He is being caught too easily and a big hitter is going to put him away. Kevin Barry has got to teach him a bit of defence and the punches he did land didn't seem to bother Takam.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sun 22 May 2016, 7:30 am

Not sure who Joshua beat is so much better than Takem? Actually IMO that's a better win than anything on Joshuas resume.

Parker showed he' doest have to rely on his power, can box for 12 rounds, has a decent jab when needed and a decent enough chin. Jab aside Joshus hadsn't shown any of that.

Not saying Parker will win but he will definitely be a very live underdog and I'd not be suprised if he pulls off an "upset" and beats Joshua.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 May 2016, 8:02 am

Plenty on here raving about Parker... really don't see it. Don't know if it's their desperation to have a new player in the HW division or just stupidity. Even Haye with three minutes of boxing under his belt takes this guy to the cleaners

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sun 22 May 2016, 8:56 am

I'm not raving about Parker but not raving about Joshua either. In all honestly i don't really rate either of them.

Joshua was one punch away from losing to a fighter who's not proven to be anymore than domestic level at the moment. I think at least Parker showed a bit more than just being a puncher but admittedly didn't look great doing it.

I genuinely think the fight between the two is a close one to call.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 22 May 2016, 9:53 am

Canelo Alavarez was one punch away from being knocked out by Cottos Brother.

Sergio Martinez was one punch away fro being stopped by a weed smoking over rated chump

It's boxing. It's the heavyweight division. One punch can hurt you.

Joshua stops Parker in 4.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sun 22 May 2016, 10:48 am

Im sure you are smart enough to understand the point I was tying to make???

I couldn't say with any confidence how the fight would go but if backed in to a corner I would say Parker in the 7th.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 22 May 2016, 11:49 am

Parker didnt look particularly good in the fight, but he was able to gut it out which should stand to him. There was a moment in the 5th round where it looked like it was going to be David Price on repeat. Takam was beating him around the ring and Parker looked out of his feet. But credit to him, he dug in. I did think it was strange that Takam seemed to let him off the hook. Had he kept the pressure on, Im not sure Parker would have got over the line. But Takam drifted in and out of the fight which allowed Parker to survive. Maybe because Takam was feeling the pace himself but just hid it better than Parker.

Joshua is much more formidable opponent. He does pretty much everything Parker does better. If Joshua is going to come unstuck, I think it will be a against a good boxer with a good ring intelligence that can exploit Joshua lack of experience and lack of rounds. Parker looks too raw himself to pull it off for me.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sun 22 May 2016, 12:35 pm

I was in France for a wedding do watched it on streaming whilst getting ready so you probably saw it better than me.

You make good points and hard to argue against. I was impressed Parker got the job done and against a decent enough opponent who was there to win. He was able to box when he couldn't blast him out and that shows he can box a bit. Also took a few solid shots so he looks like he holds a punch reasonably well.

I think Joshua has a few question marks still and that's not his fault. My theory is IF Parker can survive the first few rounds then he will be able to start landing and I don't think Joshus holds a punch too well (that is a hunch) he will be KOd around about the 7th. Admittedly this is ambiguous at best so I'm not going to argue if anyone disagrees but I can only say what I think.

Also I was sat next to kiwi at the wedding and he seems to think Parker is the real deal so maybe that's swaying me. Good thing is we should find out soon Smile

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Sun 22 May 2016, 1:22 pm

Great fight. Round 8 was wild! I think Josh's fundamentals and power are too much for Parker though.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 22 May 2016, 1:31 pm

melv500 wrote:

I think Joshua has a few question marks still and that's not his fault. My theory is IF Parker can survive the first few rounds then he will be able to start landing and I don't think Joshus holds a punch too well (that is a hunch) he will be KOd around about the 7th. Admittedly this is ambiguous at best so I'm not going to argue if anyone disagrees but I can only say what I think.

Joshua took a couple of big clean shots from a relatively big puncher who was throwing bombs out of desperation at that point. I think he was shaken but his legs didn't even buckle, he just looked a bit stunned for a matter of seconds.

Guess we won't know whether that makes him chinny or good at taking a punch until we get a measure of exactly how hard Whyte hits. Whyte vs Parker would be a good fight though, I would favour Whyte.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sun 22 May 2016, 1:57 pm

As I said it's a hunch but he was KOd in the amateurs.

Are you referring the 2nd round? I only saw one clean shot land his legs were all over the place. They were stiff for the entire 3rd as well. In fairness it was a good shot he got tagged with. I guess time will tell us how good or bad his whiskers are.

Good shout on the Parker v Whyte fight, it would be a good clash. I can't see him taking it though as he's mandatory and Whyte would be too risky.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 22 May 2016, 2:15 pm

The KO in the amateurs had very little to do with his chin, but more to do with complete inexperience. He didn't actually go down although he maybe would have done with the last count had he not been in the corner.

I think in terms of his legs in that fight, it's all relative. There's all over the place and there's all over the place. I agree he was stunned, but he never looked like going down.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sun 22 May 2016, 2:51 pm

In fairness I only read about the KO so haven't seen it. Whyte dropped him though didn't he in the ams?

I do disagree about him never looking like going down but we all see these things differently.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 22 May 2016, 3:08 pm

Some people never seem able to make up their minds about whether shipping a big hit means you're fragile or have a good chin.

Personally didn't think Joshua looked in any critical danger against Whyte. He got hit hard but I didn't think he looked remotely out on his feet. If anything he shook it off pretty quick and never really looked in doubt from then on.

Can't see how Parker beats Joshua. Scored a gritty win in his backyard against an opponent I'd expect Joshua to KO in all honesty. Parker might give him a hairy moment or two but that's the best I could see happening.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sun 22 May 2016, 3:50 pm

To me he looked on unsteady legs throughout the 3rd also. I guess we will agree to disagree on this.

I agree Joshua is favourite but I think Parker has a chance. I think he will need to weather a storm and get to him after. He has great hand speed and power so he has a good chance of landing. Will see what happens but I also predicted Hatton to KO Pac so don't listen to any of my tips!

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Sun 22 May 2016, 4:25 pm

Parker made really hard work of that, as I thought he would. Takam is good enough to test any heavyweight these days so it's a pretty good win in my eyes.

Had it dead even with 2 to go and Parker won those for me so won the fight. Couldnt really have gone either way but it was close. You've got to have a good jab to control fighters with Takam's style and Parkers jab just wasn't there enough.

He's got something in him but not enough to beat Joshua although he could win early rounds with his speed.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 22 May 2016, 5:28 pm

Joshua got tagged on the chin, got rocked AND DID ALL THE RIGHT THINGS, its not whether you get hurt its how you deal with it

Its one of Khans biggest problems, when his bell gets rung he doesn't have a clue how to survive

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sun 22 May 2016, 5:49 pm

I think the bell going was the MOST RIGHT THING that happened for him.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 22 May 2016, 6:11 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Joshua got tagged on the chin, got rocked AND DID ALL THE RIGHT THINGS, its not whether you get hurt its how you deal with it

Its one of Khans biggest problems, when his bell gets rung he doesn't have a clue how to survive

When Khan's bell gets rung he's already on his back trying to remember if he's in Vegas or Bolton. The man's shot avoidance skills have always been bad in general.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 22 May 2016, 6:57 pm

melv500 wrote:I think the bell going was the MOST RIGHT THING that happened for him.

Watch the round again. There was a good minute or more to go when he got tagged. After a few seconds, point to the moment where he looked remotely in trouble. He looked a bit shaken, but there wasn't a single moment when you thought, 'Whyte's gonna knock him out now'.

I don't count Halling raising his voice as Joshua 'being in trouble' either.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Sun 22 May 2016, 7:10 pm

I was going to watch it back and then you mentioned Halling!!!!

Ok will do but on mute!!!

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 22 May 2016, 8:47 pm

Halling does chirp up If I remember correctly

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sun 22 May 2016, 9:21 pm

Decent win for Parker but against a fighter 11 years his senior who fought in that manner. If Takam had another gear he would have gotten to Parker.
I also think Parker's power is somewhat overrated, against limited opposition he has looked like a destroyer but looked far from it in this fight.
For me Joshua vs Parker is a modern version of Bruno (although at this moment in time " Big Frank" is the far better fighter than Parker) vs Lewis with the amateur pedigree world champion against a puncher albeit against lower level opposition.

Parker may not crumble from the first right hand he ships but his lack of defence will see him hit way to easy and often and will be stopped on his feet around the 5/6 round. Don't think there will be any scary moments for AJ either as I think he will respect Parker's power to avoid taking any chances and work from behind a high guard and a very stiff jab.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 22 May 2016, 10:51 pm

Parker is an honest and fairly talented heavy but he's not going to set the world alight, certainly not based on that showing.

He certainly has done himself a few favours by getting some rounds under his belt, but I don't see anything that will really trouble AJ. I reckon Parker will be done by 5 rounds.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 22 May 2016, 11:23 pm

AJ was rocked against Whyte but it wasn't anywhere near as serious as is made out, he was momentarily stunned that is all. He blitzes Parker with no real worries, he has very little technical ability.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 23 May 2016, 3:28 am

At last a decent h/w fight to talk about

To be fair Joshua v whyte wasn't bad either.

I rate parker I feel he has enough to beat Joshua his speed alone is great to see in a h/w but of course Joshua can ko any h/w so 50/50 for me.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Mon 23 May 2016, 8:59 am

Ok watched it back and I'll hold my hands up there was around 80 seconds left. After the momentary buzz he seems ok but look how stiff his legs were and throughout the whole 3rd. He didn't throw much either but maybe I should give him credit for being sensible. Why'te seemed to let him off the hook a bit as didn't back it up. He said he injured his shoulder so maybe there is some truth in that.

Still think Parker gives him a good test and has the tools to win. We did see him do something Joshua hasn't done this weekend. If that's because of limitations then I guess will see but I thought he put it was a good mature performance.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 23 May 2016, 9:33 am

I think AJ himself said he essentially took the third off to regroup behind the jab. Perhaps Not suggesting he was struggling so much as a realisation he'd been clocked and getting into a war was High risk. He jacked his usual fluency in that round... Could have been mental or physical.

Personally, I don't think he was in desperate trouble but he was hanging on for a bit... Had whyte not taken such a hammering in the first he might have had more in him to make that advantage count. It wasn't a case of stunned for a split second and then business as usual.

Whichever, he was clocked, he handled his moment of adversity pretty well. Whyte's a big lad who can punch, it suggests to me that aj isn't George Chuvalo but I certainly don't think he's david price either.

I quite like Parker as a fighter, but think aj is just a bit bigger, stronger, better.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 23 May 2016, 11:11 am

ebop wrote:Why does Parker not have enough to beat AJ?

Did you not watch Saturday's fight?

And if you did, have you never seen AJ fight?????

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 23 May 2016, 11:20 am

melv500 wrote:Im sure you are smart enough to understand the point I was tying to make???

I couldn't say with any confidence how the fight would go but if backed in to a corner I would say Parker in the 7th.

I genuinely don't understand it. Presumably you're talking about the Whyte fight?? Where AJ was wobbled once about as badly as Parker was by CT a few times?

Yet AJ was "one punch from losing" whereas Parker has proven himself an shown he could do what no other boxer has an either a) ko AJ (your prediction); or b) last the distance at least (surprising given the appalling conditioning he demonstrated Saturday).

Are you Kiwi????

All Parker showed is that he can be hit, easily, (testing your chin against a 68% ko ratio is meaningless) and his conditioning is poor - blowing out his backside against a guy who only put pressure on for a third of the fight.

There is nothing for AJ to be worried out with that, so easy to game plan for.

Sadly Takam would actually have been a more interesting test given his durability and slight evasiveness.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Mon 23 May 2016, 2:18 pm

No I'm not a kiwi. I like eating them though so perhaps that what you' are getting.

Jeeez you are a tough judge. How on earth taking multiple solid shots on the chin from a heavyweight is "meaningless" is an absurd statement to make.

He did look like he was going to gas but he didn't and came on strong last 2 rounds. Also I think he might be a little more defensive against Joshua so will be harder to get hit.

Like I said several times I'd lean towards Parker but he's unarguably the underdog and I wouldn't be suprised if he loses. I'm sleeper my opinion on how the fight will go as you are. But to say there is nothing for Aj to worry about seems very dismissive.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 23 May 2016, 5:13 pm

Ive not seen anything to suggest Whyte will go far. Joshua needs to keep improving as im sure he will. But I dont think it should be dismissed that Whyte hurt him. A better finisher would have had Joshua out there I suspect. Takam was very dangerous, more so than Whyte. So its a good win for Parker. But he too has improvements to make

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Mon 23 May 2016, 9:55 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Did  you not  watch Saturday's  fight?

Yeah I watched the fight and have seen AJ fight Whyte. It's clear to see Parker still has a lot of learning ahead but he's taken more solid punches in one fight and survived than AJ ever has. Parker was worn down by Takam quite early in the fight but he had enough guts, determination and skill to keep it together and win. He's a warrior.

I'd like to see how AJ would handle being tagged as many times as Parker was by a fighter of Takam's quality. Whyte doesn't count because he did f**k all to be fair.
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 May 2016, 3:09 pm

melv500 wrote:No I'm not a kiwi. I like eating them though so perhaps that what you' are getting.  

Jeeez you are a tough judge. How on earth taking multiple solid shots on the chin from a heavyweight is "meaningless" is an absurd statement to make.

He did look like he was going to gas but he didn't and came on strong last 2 rounds. Also I think he might be a little more defensive against Joshua so will be harder to get hit.

Like I said several times I'd lean towards Parker but he's unarguably  the underdog and I wouldn't be suprised if he loses. I'm sleeper my opinion on how the fight will go as you are. But to say there is nothing for Aj to worry about seems very dismissive.

Love eating them too, like a boiled egg Smile

Maybe 'meaningless' was harsh, these boys are big and any punch can count at HW, but whilst it served as a chin check I can't see how taking that much leather to the face can ever be a positive. One or two big shots and survive? Great. Taking shots whenever under pressure and walking backwards out of trouble with your hands down - disaster signs.

The gassing was an issue because it came as soon as he had to work. Takam did appallingly just backing off early doors and let Parker fight an easy fight at his own pace. Soon as there was a bit of pressure, Parker was blowing out his backside. Can't see him getting away with that against someone with AJ's strength & conditioning.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 May 2016, 3:11 pm

ebop wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Did  you not  watch Saturday's  fight?

Yeah I watched the fight and have seen AJ fight Whyte. It's clear to see Parker still has a lot of learning ahead but he's taken more solid punches in one fight and survived than AJ ever has. Parker was worn down by Takam quite early in the fight but he had enough guts, determination and skill to keep it together and win. He's a warrior.

I'd like to see how AJ would handle being tagged as many times as Parker was by a fighter of Takam's quality. Whyte doesn't count because he did f**k all to be fair.

Again, why do people think shipping punishment is a good thing??! AJ took a big shot against Whyte (not proven on Takam's level but no reason to think his power isn't better) and survived the round (plenty still to go), regroup and sparked him.

Such a dismal attitude towards assessing a boxer.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 24 May 2016, 4:49 pm

Whyte probably "didn't do anything" because he wasn't allowed to by AJ, however Whyte did quite a lot in that fight

Takam would be exactly the same, probably stopped mid rounds

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue 24 May 2016, 5:13 pm

Whyte is garbage. Absolute garbage when you're talking about world level boxers. Did nobody watch the AJ Whyte fight or something?

I don't get this hype around AJ and Whyte. It's a rivalry manufactured by Hearn. Signed to match room now so Eddie can stick him on Joshua undercards and build another money spinner between them. Absolute garbage.

Don't get the hype around AJ either. Been bowling over average fighters from day 1. Yes the kid has a bit of power but as soon as he fights a live opponent I'll e joy making money laying him on betfair Smile

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 May 2016, 5:24 pm

Go find him a live opponent then, since a world champ (even a soft one) apparently doesn't count.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue 24 May 2016, 5:36 pm

World champ.... Charles Martin?? Hahaha. You're right he doesn't count as live. There's abiut 15 guys in my local that would have taken those shots better after 7 pints of Stella.

Do people believe that Fury being stripped, Charles Martin becoming champ and heading over to the UK to face Joshua in a first defence was all just a series of coincidences?

No wonder boxing is in the state it's in, the fans are too easy to con!

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue 24 May 2016, 5:40 pm

Just go back and read the threads on here prior to the Whyte fight. Whyte was getting butchered by everyone. Saying he was garbage. And post fight everyone thinks he was a good test. Load of garbage. AJ is nothing but a paper champ in a poor division and he will get done as soon as he fights someone that's half decent. I'm 100% confident in that.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue 24 May 2016, 5:47 pm

At the end of the day fury is the legitimate IBM champion. If I was AJ I would want the Fury fight as soon as fury klit 2 is over even if klit wins. Onky then could I actually put the belt round my waste without feeling like a fraud. That's assuming he beats fury which is doubtful IMO

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue 24 May 2016, 5:47 pm

IBF. DAMN AUTO CORRECT

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 24 May 2016, 5:50 pm

There's no doubt he beats Fury, fans have a strange perception of how a boxer should feel as if they make the rules.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue 24 May 2016, 5:52 pm

No doubt he beats fury... Don't be daft. We'll have a chat after that fight if it ever happens.

It's nothing to do with how a boxer should feel. It's how any average MAN with any shred of self respect should feel.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Tue 24 May 2016, 5:55 pm

AJ Beats the square route of sweet fa, fury beats klit in Germany and you somehow conclude AJ wins with no doubt. Your Eddie hearns kind of guy mate. Facebook might be a better place for you to talk boxing, there's loads of you on there you'll fit right in

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 24 May 2016, 5:58 pm

Complete contrived idealistic bullcrap, beyond making good money do you honestly think he cares.

Right so you're opinion is based solely on him having not fought at that level, think you'd be better off debating in a nursery with that kind of logic.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next