Ulster 2016/2017

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Notch on Wed May 25, 2016 4:08 am

First topic message reminder :

The build up to Ulsters gloriously successful 2016/2017 campaign starts here!

Allow summer optimism to get the better of you or discuss why we are in crisis right here on this thread- before weary resignation over the quality of forwards we have sinks in once again.


Last edited by Notch on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 29
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down


Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Pete330v2 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:07 pm

Ulster team and replacements to play Zebre, Friday 25th November, Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 7.35pm):

(15-9): C Piutau, T Bowe, L Ludik, L Marshall, J Stockdale, B Herron, R Pienaar;

(1-8): K McCall, R Herring (capt), W Herbst, P Browne, F van der Merwe, C Ross, C Henry, S Reidy;

Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, C Black, A Warwick, D Tuohy, R Diack, P Marshall, C Gilroy, R Lyttle.

Pete330v2

Posts : 2584
Join date : 2012-05-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:12 pm

That sides not too shabby at all, hopefully with the few weeks to work on things their skills will be a bit sharper than they were in previous games

Olding playing in green this weekend then?

marty2086

Posts : 6024
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Pete330v2 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:12 pm

I'd have preferred to see Piutau and Stockdale swapped but that's not a bad side considering.

On the bad new, it seems Olding won't be playing for a while for anyone after getting injured in training with the Irish camp. Sad

Pete330v2

Posts : 2584
Join date : 2012-05-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:26 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:I'd have preferred to see Piutau and Stockdale swapped but that's not a bad side considering.

On the bad new, it seems Olding won't be playing for a while for anyone after getting injured in training with the Irish camp. Sad

Olding has no luck.

Munchkin

Posts : 7283
Join date : 2012-11-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:27 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:Ulster team and replacements to play Zebre, Friday 25th November, Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 7.35pm):

(15-9): C Piutau, T Bowe, L Ludik, L Marshall, J Stockdale, B Herron, R Pienaar;

(1-8): K McCall, R Herring (capt), W Herbst, P Browne, F van der Merwe, C Ross, C Henry, S Reidy;

Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, C Black, A Warwick, D Tuohy, R Diack, P Marshall, C Gilroy, R Lyttle.

Strong enough bench. Should win this one easily.

Munchkin

Posts : 7283
Join date : 2012-11-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by clivemcl on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:55 am

They are certainly persevering with the idea of giving the 'future 10' game time. Or maybe it's Ruan being a Diva. Either way, 9. Pienaar 10. Herron rather than 9. Marshall 10. Pienaar is just idiotic at this point.

Hopefully it won't be crucial.

clivemcl

Posts : 3509
Join date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:23 am

Pete330v2 wrote:I'd have preferred to see Piutau and Stockdale swapped but that's not a bad side considering.

On the bad new, it seems Olding won't be playing for a while for anyone after getting injured in training with the Irish camp. Sad

What sort of injury?

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 10290
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 24
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Pete330v2 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:43 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:I'd have preferred to see Piutau and Stockdale swapped but that's not a bad side considering.

On the bad new, it seems Olding won't be playing for a while for anyone after getting injured in training with the Irish camp. Sad

What sort of injury?

Haven't found out. Only read on t'other forum. They said he won't be playing any time soon. I hope they're wrong.
Why do we have a permanent long list of injuries every season?

Pete330v2

Posts : 2584
Join date : 2012-05-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by geoff999rugby on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:01 am

Pienaer is most definitely not being a Diva

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2208
Join date : 2012-01-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by The Great Aukster on Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:15 am

clivemcl wrote:They are certainly persevering with the idea of giving the 'future 10' game time. Or maybe it's Ruan being a Diva. Either way, 9. Pienaar 10. Herron rather than 9. Marshall 10. Pienaar is just idiotic at this point.

Hopefully it won't be crucial.

Seriously Clive?

Ulster are losing Pienaar next season, may lose Jackson at any time to injury, International duty or worse, ditto Olding so right now Ulster need an alternative out half on call. The more game time Herron can get while Pienaar is inside him the better for Ulster. Pienaar isn't the one being idiotic.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 3838
Join date : 2011-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:38 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:I'd have preferred to see Piutau and Stockdale swapped but that's not a bad side considering.

On the bad new, it seems Olding won't be playing for a while for anyone after getting injured in training with the Irish camp. Sad

What sort of injury?

Haven't found out. Only read on t'other forum. They said he won't be playing any time soon. I hope they're wrong.
Why do we have a permanent long list of injuries every season?

The report on the Ireland team just said he missed training on Thursday or Friday, that usually means its not too serious

marty2086

Posts : 6024
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Pete330v2 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:56 pm

The more game time Herron can get while Pienaar is inside him the better for Ulster. Pienaar isn't the one being idiotic.

Phnarr Phnarr....

Pete330v2

Posts : 2584
Join date : 2012-05-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by geoff999rugby on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:24 pm


Lets play our best 9 at 10
Lets play a 10 who is not with us next year
Lets play a 9 who, hopefully, will not be our starting 9 next year, and offers nothing for the future

As opposed to playing a World Class 9
A young lad who will only improve with game time at 10 and is key to our team during International matches

One solution is sound and helpful to the future, the other is a head in the sand selection that offers nothing, and is plan idiotic
You decide which is which

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2208
Join date : 2012-01-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:33 pm

Lets not fall out amongst ourselves lads

Herron looks a decent player who needs sharpening up a bit, I think with enough game time he can be a decent back up

marty2086

Posts : 6024
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by clivemcl on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:45 pm

Alright lads, go ahead and be pedantic if you like. I'll not lose any sleep if you disagree with me - trust me.
But, we have had a bad run of games, we can't really afford any more slip ups if the playoffs are to be achievable - so I guess I just though we should play the most capable starting 15.

Hey-ho, I guess you guys have forgot we have displayed a great ability lately of shooting ourselves in the foot and you clearly think Zebre are beatable even if we played blindfolded. I just don't fancy taking risks at this stage. I'd prefer we did all we could to get a win after our recent run.

Yea, Pienaar won't be here next year - but by your logic, we should just cut our losses and play Shanahan the rest of the season seeing as apparently giving young lads experience is more important than playing the best players we have...

clivemcl

Posts : 3509
Join date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:51 pm

clive is Marshall/Pienaar better than Pienaar/Herron though or that big a gulf in quality?

marty2086

Posts : 6024
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by clivemcl on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:53 pm

IMO yes. But I can see how some might disagree. Hey, I hope to be proven wrong tonight! Hug thumbsup

clivemcl

Posts : 3509
Join date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:25 am

clivemcl wrote: Hey, I hope to be proven wrong tonight! Hug thumbsup

Would be a bad time to be right for the first time Whistle

marty2086

Posts : 6024
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by geoff999rugby on Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:56 am

The difference between the two combination is debatable

The one that's makes more sense for the future is an absolute no brainer

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2208
Join date : 2012-01-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:26 am

Others might disagree but the few times Ive watched Herron he seems to have a decent rugby brain just needs to bring the execution

marty2086

Posts : 6024
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Rory_Gallagher on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:08 am

Match called off. What a joke!

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 10290
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 24
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by clivemcl on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:31 am

Really?

clivemcl

Posts : 3509
Join date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by neilthom7 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:35 am

Yep parts of the pitch are frozen and ref didn't like it for safety of players

neilthom7

Posts : 2070
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by clivemcl on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:38 am

Could we not have just diverted the queue outside the toilets??

clivemcl

Posts : 3509
Join date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by neilthom7 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:48 am

You have gone over my head with that one clive, can you explain, maybe the cold is messing with my head

neilthom7

Posts : 2070
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by clivemcl on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:50 am

A rather distasteful hint at using some warm liquid to thaw the frozen parts!
I'll get my coat..

clivemcl

Posts : 3509
Join date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by neilthom7 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:51 am

haha sorry my bad clive although I am not sure that would improve the refs opinion on the safety

neilthom7

Posts : 2070
Join date : 2011-10-26
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:57 am

Yeah, he might think we were taking the piss


Run " Taxi! "

Munchkin

Posts : 7283
Join date : 2012-11-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:00 am

Apparently Ulster Rugby are to blame for the weather now too picard

Bryn being interviewed about the postponement, they and Zebre would like it tomorrow but Pro12 unlikely to allow it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38109093

marty2086

Posts : 6024
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:30 am

They should have covered the pitch though. It was -1 while I was driving around yesterday before 5 pm.

Munchkin

Posts : 7283
Join date : 2012-11-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by clivemcl on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:31 am

So there goes our one game where we could have improved morale. Somebody remind how difficult the next 4/5 games are again.
Really bad luck for us. We needed a good win at this point!

clivemcl

Posts : 3509
Join date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:35 am

clivemcl wrote:So there goes our one game where we could have improved morale. Somebody remind how difficult the next 4/5 games are again.
Really bad luck for us. We needed a good win at this point!

Was just thinking that. So we are away to Cardiff next without having played a game in 4 weeks .....

Munchkin

Posts : 7283
Join date : 2012-11-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:40 am

Munchkin wrote:They should have covered the pitch though. It was -1 while I was driving around yesterday before 5 pm.

What would covering it over night have done? It still would have frozen throughout today given how cold it is

marty2086

Posts : 6024
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:46 am

marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:They should have covered the pitch though. It was -1 while I was driving around yesterday before 5 pm.

What would covering it over night have done? It still would have frozen throughout today given how cold it is

We can't know that. Covering prevents direct contact with frost. It has to help, and there were only patches of ice. They should have at least tried.

Munchkin

Posts : 7283
Join date : 2012-11-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:48 am

Munchkin wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:They should have covered the pitch though. It was -1 while I was driving around yesterday before 5 pm.

What would covering it over night have done? It still would have frozen throughout today given how cold it is

We can't know that. Covering prevents direct contact with frost. It has to help, and there were only patches of ice. They should have at least tried.

It would have prevented it last night not today, they had it playable and it froze over

marty2086

Posts : 6024
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:52 am

marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:They should have covered the pitch though. It was -1 while I was driving around yesterday before 5 pm.

What would covering it over night have done? It still would have frozen throughout today given how cold it is

We can't know that. Covering prevents direct contact with frost. It has to help, and there were only patches of ice. They should have at least tried.

It would have prevented it last night not today, they had it playable and it froze over

But the covers would still have been on it today. Until they absolutely needed to remove the covers anyway. While there was no cover the ground hardened.

No point arguing about it now. Hopefully they learn from it.

Munchkin

Posts : 7283
Join date : 2012-11-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by geoff999rugby on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:24 am

marty2086 wrote:Others might disagree but the few times Ive watched Herron he seems to have a decent rugby brain just needs to bring the execution

Agree with that the guy has the potential to be a decent enough player.

geoff999rugby

Posts : 2208
Join date : 2012-01-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:29 am

Dan Tuohy: Ireland lock set to move from Ulster to Bristol in coming weeks

Ireland second row Dan Tuohy is set to move from Ulster to his hometown club Bristol before Christmas.

Ulster assistant coach Allen Clarke told BBC Sport NI that the club is "aware" of Tuohy's situation.

"Ulster are very good at helping elongate a player's career," added the Ulster assistant.

Tuohy, 31, was already Irish-qualified when he joined Ulster from Exeter in 2009 and made his Ireland Test debut a year later against the All Blacks.

He starred against Scotland in the 2014 Six Nations when replacing injured Paul O'Connell but then suffered a broken arm in the next game against Wales.

Tuohy fractured an ankle last December and only returned to action last month.

After playing for Ulster A in late October, he started in both the Pro12 defeats by Munster and Edinburgh.

Tuohy has played 136 times for the Irish province and made 11 Ireland appearances.

His last Ireland game came in the World Cup warm-up encounter with Scotland in August 2015 as he missed out on a place in the squad for the tournament which started a month later.

Tuohy then looked a strong contender to replace Paul O'Connell after the captain was injured in the win over France at the World Cup but coach Joe Schmidt instead called up Leinster's Mike McCarthy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38134447

marty2086

Posts : 6024
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Don Alfonso on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:41 am

Just saw that.... what is going on?

Don Alfonso

Posts : 2086
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 40
Location : The 'Shaft

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Don Alfonso on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:44 am

More concerned that it says something about what's happening behind the scenes than actually losing Tuohy.

Don Alfonso

Posts : 2086
Join date : 2011-05-10
Age : 40
Location : The 'Shaft

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:45 am

Clarke talking of situation seems to indicate something going on that requires him to move, being closer to family etc

Or could be he just wants out

marty2086

Posts : 6024
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:50 am

Sounds like Clarke is having a dig at Tuohy; "Ulster are very good at looking after the longevity of individuals". He might have a point.

Could be that Tuohy wants more than Ulster are prepared to pay in a new contract.

Munchkin

Posts : 7283
Join date : 2012-11-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by SecretFly on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:56 am

Munchkin wrote:Sounds like Clarke is having a dig at Tuohy; "Ulster are very good at looking after the longevity of individuals". He might have a point.

Could be that Tuohy wants more than Ulster are prepared to pay in a new contract.

Yeah...sounds a little too spicy to be a 'parting hug' and feels more like a parting 'knife in the back' shot.  




..................Ban Clarke! mad

SecretFly

Posts : 25541
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:07 am

SecretFly wrote:
Munchkin wrote:Sounds like Clarke is having a dig at Tuohy; "Ulster are very good at looking after the longevity of individuals". He might have a point.

Could be that Tuohy wants more than Ulster are prepared to pay in a new contract.

Yeah...sounds a little too spicy to be a 'parting hug' and feels more like a parting 'knife in the back' shot.  




..................Ban Clarke! mad

I think so.

I hope they do ban Clarke ... from UlsterRugby ... permanently.

Munchkin

Posts : 7283
Join date : 2012-11-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:17 am

Tuohy has another 18months left, it seems early to be talking new contracts given hes just back from injury and not even close to his best

marty2086

Posts : 6024
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:27 am

marty2086 wrote:Tuohy has another 18months left, it seems early to be talking new contracts given hes just back from injury and not even close to his best

Yes, it is. So why jump ship? Could be family reasons. Could be Ulster Rugby reasons.

Munchkin

Posts : 7283
Join date : 2012-11-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by SecretFly on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:31 am

Maybe...............................Nucifora gave another decree?

SecretFly

Posts : 25541
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by marty2086 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:41 am

Unlikely, why would they get rid of an Irish international especially if they could get him back to his best hes still a decent backup to the current crop

marty2086

Posts : 6024
Join date : 2011-05-14
Age : 30
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Munchkin on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:52 am

SecretFly wrote:Maybe...............................Nucifora gave another decree?

Nucifora has many, many, many, many faults, but don't think so. Unless the new decree has changed from needlessly stripping Ulster of its most prized foreign assets, to stripping Ulster of prized assets not born in Ulster. Subtle but effective.

Munchkin

Posts : 7283
Join date : 2012-11-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by SecretFly on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:57 am

marty2086 wrote:Unlikely, why would they get rid of an Irish international especially if they could get him back to his best hes still a decent backup to the current crop

Well, apart from me just having fun with the name again.... I think it mightn't be so far fetched. Tuohy might indeed have had/will have a future part to play in International (nobody knows how these things work out), but I'd say the odds are getting longer at a quicker rate now.
It seems Ireland is pushing on fast into the new potentials and just like a player like Dave Kearney or McFadden might now quickly become forgotten men in terms of International, I think a player like Tuohy is in the same position. We talk of increasing competition. It's there and it's making the argument for retaining some players a tougher and tougher exercise. Hell, even some of the boys who played through this AI season know how hard they'll have to keep fighting to keep those slots. You miss out for a few months and life may already have passed you by in terms of Ireland career.

SecretFly

Posts : 25541
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum