Hissene Habre convicted

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Hissene Habre convicted

Post by Rowanbi on Tue 31 May 2016, 2:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Yesterday former US-backed Chadian dictator Hissene Habre was sentenced to life-imprisonment. Dubbed the African 'Pinocet,' Habre tortured and killed tens of thousands of politicial opponents in the 1980s. He also carried out ethnic cleansing of native communities, and indulged in sexual slavery. Some estimates put the number of victims at 40,000, with hundreds of thousands more tortured. His favorite methods included burning, gassing and forcing victims to put their mouths to the exhaust pipes of cars with running engines. The CIA helped bring him to power and the Reagan administration sent him millions of dollars of weapons and trained his infamous secret police. Why? Because Habre was the arch-enemy of Muammar Gaddafi, and with US & French support Chad defeated Libya in a border dispute war. Habre's case made history as the first occasion in which an African leader had been tried for crimes against humanity in Africa itself, rather than in an international court in Europe. His trial was held in Senegal, to where he fled after being overthrown in 1990. The conviction came about largely as a result of the tireless efforts of his many, many victims. Habre is now 72-years-old, and unlikely to see the outside of a prison cell again.
Rowanbi
Rowanbi

Posts : 825
Join date : 2015-02-15
Age : 83
Location : Istanbul

Back to top Go down


Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 1:56 pm

Wonder what racist mugs like Rowanbi have to do to get a ban around here....

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 35
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 1:59 pm

Rowanbi wrote:So you're out of arguments, in other words. Cool
Tumbleweed No more troll feeding methinks. Hope you like talking to yourself...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8181
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 2:01 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Wonder what racist mugs like Rowanbi have to do to get a ban around here....
Be a little more open with it I suspect...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8181
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by Rowanbi on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 2:42 pm

Rowanbi wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Rowanbi wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Rowanbi wrote:Exactly. The Russians still revere Stalin as well. That's the guy who really won WWII, much as the British and Americans have scrambled to take all the credit exclusively for themselves, demonized everyone else and pushed forth their own bloodthirsty war criminals as "heroes."
Now you're just being silly. Sure, the U.S.S.R. was an instrumental part, but they were only one part and had no/little part in the wider global parts of WWII. Also, minor point, but Churchill and Eisenhower didn't murder millions of their own people at home.

The Soviets won the war at a cost of 20 million lives and the British and Americans scrambled to take all the credit for it themselves. No, Churchill and Eisenhower didn't murder millions of their own people, they murdered millions of people in other countries instead. So that's alright then Doh  

Churchill a war criminal because he was a 'privileged white christian', we'll ignore how he inspired a nation against the greatest evil the world has ever seen. Not everyone involved in war is guilty of crimes against humanity,

I don't regard him as a war criminal because he was a white Christian at all. I regard him as a war criminal because he machine-gunned the Sudanese, threw the ANZACs at the Turks, gassed the Kurds and Arabs, firebombed Dresden, starved the Bengalis, professed to hatred of Indians, and helped overthrow Iran's first democratic government, among many other horrific crimes against humanity. Due to his race and religion, however, he is revered in his homeland as a 'hero.' vomit

& the greatest evil the world has ever seen was the British Empire, very clearly.
Done with you. I gave you the benefit originally, but clearly Tino(?) was correct, above. You're a fool. You're doing the usual cr@p and applying 21st century ethics to 19th/early 20th century conflicts.

The Soviets didn't "win" the war, anymore than the British, Americans etc did. If you can actually read what I said, instead of twist to fit your own agenda, I said that it was a team effort and the Soviets were a part of that. They had stuff all to do with the war in the Pacific, stuff all to do with Africa and Italy etc. Britain actually helped the Soviets stay afloat before the tide turned against Hitler's Barbarossa campaign with all those lovely selfish jaunts up the North Atlantic coast and via the Barents Sea, supplying the Soviet Union with arms and food etc. All the while being hunted by German U-Boats etc.

Re. Dresden - well, again, by today's standards, doesn't look that pleasant, but that's what you get for prosecuting a war the way the Nazis did I'm afraid. Grow up.

Re. ANZACs, I think I'm right in saying that more British were killed there than ANZACs, but you go on and make up the facts to suit your own narrative. Churchill didn't, as you imply, use the ANZACs as shock troops so British forces were spared what happened there.

Gas was used by many in the past. I seriously doubt Churchill would advocate or accept its use today.

As for the Kurds, don't make me laugh. How dare you raise that when Turkey's vindictive and murderous behaviour towards the Kurds is still going on today. Talk about a hypocrite!

Re. India, again, you're applying 21st century morals to 1950s, at the latest, behaviour. Frankly, your hatred of 'white, Christians' IN the 21st century (i.e. now) says a lot more to me than Churchill et als behaviour in the past and your last line re. the British Empire shows you for what you really are. At least we're clear now on your position and mindset. Enjoy your increasingly radical Theocracy in Turkey Ok!.

Dresden was revenge, pure and simple. Have you read Slaughterhouse 5, by any chance? Like Hiroshima & Nagasaki it was totally unnecessary and entirely symbolic, designed to send a message and ward off the USSR and the post-war era. To that end, many millions of innocent children, women and men died most horrific deaths.

Yes, more British and French died at Gallipoli than Anzacs. Congratulations. Invading other countries isn't always as easy as the British would like it to be, and they well and truly beaten there, at the cost of many young men's lives. Incidentally, the Turks lost more than the allied forces collectively, and they were only defending their homeland.

If you don't know that Churchill used chemical weapons against the Kurds in northern Iraq, then you don't know much at all. He also used them against the Russians, according to one of Britain's own leading newspapers: http://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2013/sep/01/winston-churchill-shocking-use-chemical-weapons

As for applying 21st century principles to the 1950s, that's a fine cop-out, but I'm not the one applying 21st century principles to the 1910s, as are those so gleefully bringing up the Armenian massacres (which I'm probably far better informed on than anyone else here). Doh

The desire to have wars and to win them are, I'm afraid, proof of evolution.  

So you're an apologist for genocidal warfare then? Ok, you're entitled to your opinion, but this perhaps the wrong thread for you. censored

Basically Turkey is as bad, if not worse, than anyone else.

Not white Christian though so escape Rowan's ire.....


Erm Sorry to so gravely disappoint you, but I've already commented a number of times that you are preaching to the converted on this issue. Is there some part of that sentence you don't understand? Doh

You feel the need to point out certain skin colours but not the others = racist in my book

& then he brings up Zimbabwe. Rolling Eyes

picard


What part of this post was racist? Or is "racist" simply your scare word to condemn those who do not think as you do - ie not apologists for US-UK war crimes, from the rapacious British Empire to the genocidal invasion of Iraq?
Rowanbi
Rowanbi

Posts : 825
Join date : 2015-02-15
Age : 83
Location : Istanbul

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by Hero on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 2:52 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Wonder what racist mugs like Rowanbi have to do to get a ban around here....
 Not a great deal more certainly! Finger is hovering as we speak...

Hero
Founder
Founder

Posts : 28226
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 43
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 2:58 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Wonder what racist mugs like Rowanbi have to do to get a ban around here....
Be a little more open with it I suspect...

Seems wide open to me but hey ho. People in glass sin bins shouldn't throw stones I suppose....!

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 35
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by SecretFly on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 3:10 pm

Back to the topic...................

War criminals. When one is one, and when one isn't.

SecretFly

Posts : 30422
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by Derbymanc on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 3:50 pm

Just a note to Rowanbi then no more responses as I don't want the section closed again:- I never mentioned skin colour or religion with Zimbabwe you brought that up.

It's a tough one SF as it's generally the winners that tell you who the war criminal is and such i'm sure many slip under the net, especially if they can be useful (a'la scientists who can help etc). As such each country has a different culture and upsetting that can change the whole dynamics of a region (Middle East),

If anyone know's where 4L's is, i'd be interested in his view on this as he's very worldly travelled and normally has some cracking input (even if i don't agree with it all :-)

Derbymanc

Posts : 3831
Join date : 2013-10-14
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 3:52 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Just a note to Rowanbi then no more responses as I don't want the section closed again:- I never mentioned skin colour or religion with Zimbabwe you brought that up.


The section won't be closed because of one person. He will just get the chop.

I hadn't noticed prior to today but his own particular brand of hatred can also be found on the rugby board. Add that to his list.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 17786
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 3:54 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Just a note to Rowanbi then no more responses as I don't want the section closed again:- I never mentioned skin colour or religion with Zimbabwe you brought that up.

It's a tough one SF as it's generally the winners that tell you who the war criminal is and such i'm sure many slip under the net, especially if they can be useful (a'la scientists who can help etc). As such each country has a different culture and upsetting that can change the whole dynamics of a region (Middle East),

If anyone know's where 4L's is, i'd be interested in his view on this as he's very worldly travelled and normally has some cracking input (even if i don't agree with it all :-)

F*cking do one.....!! mad mad mad LOL

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 35
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by Galted on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 4:11 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Perhaps Rolling Eyes you should idea use a few more Doh emoticons? mad heart Cool  king  boxing  Crying or Very sad Really drive that point home.

Look princess, you've been exposed for what you are.  Not just on this thread but on the others I mentioned way back when.

You are what you are and enough of us spotted it early.  You're not smart enough to hide it.

Take this as a lesson, come back under a different name, and try harder.

You can thank me some other time.

he's the Cul-
ture god
he should be made a mod
Tino
Tino


Last edited by Galted on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : meter was slightly off)
Galted
Galted
Galted

Posts : 11365
Join date : 2011-10-31
Location : In bed with Ada

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by Derbymanc on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 4:18 pm

Hee hee, thought you'd like that Toppy. Still think we should have a MOD for this section for the odd occasion it flares up l:)

Derbymanc

Posts : 3831
Join date : 2013-10-14
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by TopHat24/7 on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 5:00 pm

I was one once......it didn't end well!! LOL Laugh

TopHat24/7

Posts : 17008
Join date : 2011-07-01
Age : 35
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by Rowanbi on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 10:37 pm

Rowanbi wrote:
Rowanbi wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Rowanbi wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Rowanbi wrote:Exactly. The Russians still revere Stalin as well. That's the guy who really won WWII, much as the British and Americans have scrambled to take all the credit exclusively for themselves, demonized everyone else and pushed forth their own bloodthirsty war criminals as "heroes."
Now you're just being silly. Sure, the U.S.S.R. was an instrumental part, but they were only one part and had no/little part in the wider global parts of WWII. Also, minor point, but Churchill and Eisenhower didn't murder millions of their own people at home.

The Soviets won the war at a cost of 20 million lives and the British and Americans scrambled to take all the credit for it themselves. No, Churchill and Eisenhower didn't murder millions of their own people, they murdered millions of people in other countries instead. So that's alright then Doh  

Churchill a war criminal because he was a 'privileged white christian', we'll ignore how he inspired a nation against the greatest evil the world has ever seen. Not everyone involved in war is guilty of crimes against humanity,

I don't regard him as a war criminal because he was a white Christian at all. I regard him as a war criminal because he machine-gunned the Sudanese, threw the ANZACs at the Turks, gassed the Kurds and Arabs, firebombed Dresden, starved the Bengalis, professed to hatred of Indians, and helped overthrow Iran's first democratic government, among many other horrific crimes against humanity. Due to his race and religion, however, he is revered in his homeland as a 'hero.' vomit

& the greatest evil the world has ever seen was the British Empire, very clearly.
Done with you. I gave you the benefit originally, but clearly Tino(?) was correct, above. You're a fool. You're doing the usual cr@p and applying 21st century ethics to 19th/early 20th century conflicts.

The Soviets didn't "win" the war, anymore than the British, Americans etc did. If you can actually read what I said, instead of twist to fit your own agenda, I said that it was a team effort and the Soviets were a part of that. They had stuff all to do with the war in the Pacific, stuff all to do with Africa and Italy etc. Britain actually helped the Soviets stay afloat before the tide turned against Hitler's Barbarossa campaign with all those lovely selfish jaunts up the North Atlantic coast and via the Barents Sea, supplying the Soviet Union with arms and food etc. All the while being hunted by German U-Boats etc.

Re. Dresden - well, again, by today's standards, doesn't look that pleasant, but that's what you get for prosecuting a war the way the Nazis did I'm afraid. Grow up.

Re. ANZACs, I think I'm right in saying that more British were killed there than ANZACs, but you go on and make up the facts to suit your own narrative. Churchill didn't, as you imply, use the ANZACs as shock troops so British forces were spared what happened there.

Gas was used by many in the past. I seriously doubt Churchill would advocate or accept its use today.

As for the Kurds, don't make me laugh. How dare you raise that when Turkey's vindictive and murderous behaviour towards the Kurds is still going on today. Talk about a hypocrite!

Re. India, again, you're applying 21st century morals to 1950s, at the latest, behaviour. Frankly, your hatred of 'white, Christians' IN the 21st century (i.e. now) says a lot more to me than Churchill et als behaviour in the past and your last line re. the British Empire shows you for what you really are. At least we're clear now on your position and mindset. Enjoy your increasingly radical Theocracy in Turkey Ok!.

Dresden was revenge, pure and simple. Have you read Slaughterhouse 5, by any chance? Like Hiroshima & Nagasaki it was totally unnecessary and entirely symbolic, designed to send a message and ward off the USSR and the post-war era. To that end, many millions of innocent children, women and men died most horrific deaths.

Yes, more British and French died at Gallipoli than Anzacs. Congratulations. Invading other countries isn't always as easy as the British would like it to be, and they well and truly beaten there, at the cost of many young men's lives. Incidentally, the Turks lost more than the allied forces collectively, and they were only defending their homeland.

If you don't know that Churchill used chemical weapons against the Kurds in northern Iraq, then you don't know much at all. He also used them against the Russians, according to one of Britain's own leading newspapers: http://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2013/sep/01/winston-churchill-shocking-use-chemical-weapons

As for applying 21st century principles to the 1950s, that's a fine cop-out, but I'm not the one applying 21st century principles to the 1910s, as are those so gleefully bringing up the Armenian massacres (which I'm probably far better informed on than anyone else here). Doh

The desire to have wars and to win them are, I'm afraid, proof of evolution.  

So you're an apologist for genocidal warfare then? Ok, you're entitled to your opinion, but this perhaps the wrong thread for you. censored

Basically Turkey is as bad, if not worse, than anyone else.

Not white Christian though so escape Rowan's ire.....


Erm Sorry to so gravely disappoint you, but I've already commented a number of times that you are preaching to the converted on this issue. Is there some part of that sentence you don't understand? Doh

You feel the need to point out certain skin colours but not the others = racist in my book

& then he brings up Zimbabwe. Rolling Eyes

picard


What part of this post was racist? Or is "racist" simply your scare word to condemn those who do not think as you do - ie not apologists for US-UK war crimes, from the rapacious British Empire to the genocidal invasion of Iraq?

Nobody answered that question, and since in law silence denotes consent, I can only assume this was the reason.
Rowanbi
Rowanbi

Posts : 825
Join date : 2015-02-15
Age : 83
Location : Istanbul

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by Mind the windows Tino. on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 8:24 am

You've been done, flower. We have seen right through you.

We know what kind of person you are and so do you. Problem is, you're neither brave enough to admit it nor bright enough to hide it.

Your agenda oozes out of your posting, irrespective of the thread.

You won't last much longer.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Posts : 17786
Join date : 2011-05-13
Location : There are fewer more distressing sights than that of an Englishman in a baseball cap. And we'll die in the class we were born, well that's a class of our own my love. A class of our own my love. Did you see the stylish kids in the riot, cos mine beat me up then set the night on fire. Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love. Oh how I cherish Julius my love.

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by Rowanbi on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 10:11 am

The problem with using "racism" as a scare word is that you devalue it. I cannot be accused of racism against whites because I am white. Just as black people can say what they like about their own race - and often do. Self-criticism of a constructive nature is actually vital, and is integral to the philosophy of revolutionary thinkers such as Howard Zinn, Eduardo Galeano, John Pilger and Noam Chomsky. Would you level the same accusation at them? If so, that would be very ironic indeed. Rolling Eyes
Rowanbi
Rowanbi

Posts : 825
Join date : 2015-02-15
Age : 83
Location : Istanbul

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by Hero on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 10:16 am

Yep bored of him now. Adios.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Posts : 28226
Join date : 2012-03-02
Age : 43
Location : Work toilet

Back to top Go down

Hissene Habre convicted - Page 2 Empty Re: Hissene Habre convicted

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum