The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Open Day 11 Dont get Fresh with me!

+10
Danny_1982
ALPanorak
Mad for Chelsea
barrystar
Haddie-nuff
sirfredperry
Hero
whocares
CaledonianCraig
temporary21
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

French Open Day 11 Dont get Fresh with me! - Page 3 Empty French Open Day 11 Dont get Fresh with me!

Post by temporary21 Tue 31 May 2016, 7:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Schedule
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/schedule/schedule17.html

Note the mens 4th round is second up. If the unthinkable happens they might get delayed even longer

temporary21

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 11 Dont get Fresh with me! - Page 3 Empty Re: French Open Day 11 Dont get Fresh with me!

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:20 pm

6-2 6-1 7-6 Wawrinka through to the semi-final.

Murray I expect to polish this off within about 40 minutes. Then both Murray & Wawrinka will have similar recovery times for the semi-final.

Back to top Go down

French Open Day 11 Dont get Fresh with me! - Page 3 Empty Re: French Open Day 11 Dont get Fresh with me!

Post by barrystar Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:20 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well I wouldn't give Murray too much a chance given how much he has put his body through so far compared to Stan. However, certainly today he can only have himself to blame. He should have won the first set when he lead 5-3 but blew it and almost repeated the feat in the second set lengthening it by a good 20 minutes. Been highly entertaining stuff though.

The Murray/Wawrinka H2H is very tight, and Wawrinka has won their two matches on clay, although the most recent was 2013.

Murray's usual level is better than Wawrinka's, but the latter's best would probably be too good for Murray.

If Andy brings a decent level to the match it could be very interesting.

Last edited by barrystar on Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:22 pm

Stan through in straight sets. Murray now in control (well ahead) and leads 5-7 7-6 6-0 2-1.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:22 pm

Stans playing better. The sole mystery is whether he tires if the match goes long because if Geneva and his 1st round

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:22 pm

Including the tie-break, it's been 9-1 to Murray over the last 10 games.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:30 pm

Gasquet is like a dark brown sausage on a barbeque - done. Murray breaks again to lead 4-1 in the fourth set.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:30 pm

This is more how he should be playing. It would make a more interesting match

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:31 pm

Murray breaks again. leads 4-1, Gasquet now cutting a rather sorry figure as he walks slowly back to his chair. Again, if he genuinely got this tired after two sets, I would question his tactic in those two sets: why look to outrally Murray if you're not going to be able to keep it up for more than two sets?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:38 pm

Impressive stats those - if Murray wins today he'll reach his 19th slam semi level with Edberg and McEnroe. Pity his slam conversion into wins wasn't better.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:39 pm

Basically the French Open boils down to two intriguing matches:

Wawrinka v Murray Semi-Final

Wawrinka (or Murray) v Djokovic Final.

I am favouring a Wawrinka tournament win.  I reckon the damp conditions will favour Wawrinka.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:43 pm

Murray wins 5-7 7-6 6-0 6-2. If only he hadn't flung away that first set.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:43 pm

Murray serves it out with minimal fuss. Played an excellent TB in the second set, and thereafter Gasquet's level dropped rather alarmingly, but Murray played pretty well in patches in that match. Will need to avoid those lapses he suffered at the end of the first two sets in the semi, but IMO he has a decent chance.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:44 pm

Murray the tank versus Stan the Man.

Credit to Murray. He has done it again.

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:54 pm

Should have done this in straights. Ridiculous brain fade at the end of both sets, can only think it's because he thought the job was done and knew there was nothing Gasquet could do to hurt him

I can see a different beast against Stan, but I go along with those who favour the Swiss ace. I also think the winner will be the one who wins on Sunday.

I'm not totally convinced that Novak is playing well enough to dominate these two for a couple of hours and if he drops off (like he did at the end of the fourth set today) he often ends up in a battle as players like Stan and Andy take advantage

Sounds ridiculous, given Nole's domination - but it's all about the moment in sport

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 01 Jun 2016, 4:55 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Murray wins 5-7 7-6 6-0 6-2. If only he hadn't flung away that first set.

Agreed!! And he tried to throw away the second Doh

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 01 Jun 2016, 5:02 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Impressive stats those - if Murray wins today he'll reach his 19th slam semi level with Edberg and McEnroe. Pity his slam conversion into wins wasn't better.

His SF record is currently 50% (9 wins 9 defeats). It's finals when he has most problems (2-7). The remarkable stat is that, in the 16 defeats in prior slams at this stage or later, I don't think has ever lost to a lower ranked player!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2016, 5:03 pm

Born Slippy wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Impressive stats those - if Murray wins today he'll reach his 19th slam semi level with Edberg and McEnroe. Pity his slam conversion into wins wasn't better.

His SF record is currently 50% (9 wins 9 defeats). It's finals when he has most problems (2-7). The remarkable stat is that, in the 16 defeats in prior slams at this stage or later, I don't think has ever lost to a lower ranked player!

I didn't word that well. My point was from all those semis he hasn't gone on enough to convert them into slam wins.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 01 Jun 2016, 5:06 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Born Slippy wrote:

I didn't word that well. My point was from all those semis he hasn't gone on enough to convert them into slam wins.

I know. I was expanding not disagreeing!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jun 2016, 5:13 pm

Totally unfair on Gasquet to say Murray flung the first set away.  Gasquet upped his level and played some lovely tennis.  Also does a disservice to Murray.  Rather than congratulating Murray for responding and hanging in there - one is left with a criticism of Murray for not winning in straight sets and totally ignoring the play and effort of Gasquet.

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Wed 01 Jun 2016, 5:29 pm

Well if Gasquet cannot play more than 2 sets at a decent level then it shows he hasn't really progressed much really. Same old same.
At least we have a great semi final to potentially look forward to.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 01 Jun 2016, 5:34 pm

Just looked at the schedule, and what a mess.  Two women's QF's to play tomorrow, and two men's QF's, which means that on Friday morning there will still be all 4 SF's to play.  Do they start at 1pm on Friday like tomorrow, do they make some play their SF's on Lenglen, which is pretty unfair because the others will have gotten the feel for Chatrier (and no doubt the bigger 'names' who will have been on it all fortnight anyway), or will either or both Men's SF leach into the Saturday when they'll have the women's Final to play on Chatrier anyway?

The one saving grace is that the forecast is now for cloudy but dry days.

It would be nice to see socal's fulminations on this, especially if they manage to screw up on Friday and, say, Djoko has to play a SF on Lenglen, or his SF isn't finished on Friday, so he'll have to play 5 days in a row.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2016, 5:41 pm

barrystar wrote:

It would be nice to see socal's fulminations on this, especially if they manage to screw up on Friday and, say, Djoko has to play a SF on Lenglen, or his SF isn't finished on Friday, so he'll have to play 5 days in a row.

That will apply to everyone in the top half of the draw - not just Djokovic. Saving grace for him was he had less time to play today. In any case his semi - he could have a quick two hour match given he'll play a player outside the top ten playing in their first slam semi and he has hardly had an arduous route through to the semis - all pretty quick matches. And just remember, this is the player who played two five and a half hour matches in consecutive days at the Australian Open in the semis (V Murray) and Final (V Nadal) and won them both.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Jun 2016, 5:48 pm

Okay I am going to throw something out here.  I reckon Berdych is going to cause Djokovic some difficulties in the quarter final.  Berdych has a dreadful record against Djokovic: played 25 lost 23.  Lost the last 10 consecutive matches to Djokovic.

But looking at the clay results: we have:
15/2015 F  Monte Carlo Masters Djokovic beats Berdych  7-5 4-6 6-3
20/2013 QF  Rome Masters Berdych  beats Djokovic  2-6 7-5 6-4
16/2012 SF  Monte Carlo Masters Djokovic  beats Berdych  4-6 6-3 6-2

So on clay the head to head for Berdych is played three lost two won one.  Also Djokovic has never beaten Berdych in straight sets on clay.  Yet on the hard courts Djokovic usually dispatches Berdych easily in straight sets.

Berdych has only dropped two sets this tournament so far so should have enough energy in the tank to give Djokovic a tight match and should win at least one set and maybe more. Could be a five setter.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2016, 5:52 pm

Nore Staat wrote:Totally unfair on Gasquet to say Murray flung the first set away.  Gasquet upped his level and played some lovely tennis.  Also does a disservice to Murray.  Rather than congratulating Murray for responding and hanging in there - one is left with a criticism of Murray for not winning in straight sets and totally ignoring the play and effort of Gasquet.

Yes Gasquet upped his level but the 5-3 game on Murray's serve was more about Murray errors ie weak drop shot into the net, double fault and unforced error.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 01 Jun 2016, 5:56 pm

Nore Staat wrote:Okay I am going to throw something out here.  I reckon Berdych is going to cause Djokovic some difficulties in the quarter final.  Berdych has a dreadful record against Djokovic: played 25 lost 23.  Lost the last 10 consecutive matches to Djokovic.

So on clay the head to head for Berdych is played three lost two won one.  Also Djokovic has never beaten Berdych in straight sets on clay.  Yet on the hard courts Djokovic usually dispatches Berdych easily in straight sets.

Berdych has only dropped two sets this tournament so far so should have enough energy in the tank to give Djokovic a tight match and should win at least one set and maybe more.  Could be a five setter.

A good shout. However, aside from Berdych winning a set I can't see Novak letting this one slip although his mental state is akin to watching someone with split personality both in form and mental demeanour.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 01 Jun 2016, 9:57 pm

Murray is now 34-3 on clay since last year. His record prior to then was 61-37, so a quite remarkable turnaround that. He's also 7-3 against top ten players (3 defeats against Djokovic x2 and Nadal), before that he was 1-13 (the win must be the Davydenko match from Monte Carlo 09?).

This was also his 100th match against a Frenchman, he's won 86 of those, including the last 16 and 37 of the last 39.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 01 Jun 2016, 10:01 pm

Nore Staat wrote:Okay I am going to throw something out here.  I reckon Berdych is going to cause Djokovic some difficulties in the quarter final.  Berdych has a dreadful record against Djokovic: played 25 lost 23.  Lost the last 10 consecutive matches to Djokovic.

Berdych has only dropped two sets this tournament so far so should have enough energy in the tank to give Djokovic a tight match and should win at least one set and maybe more.  Could be a five setter.

It's a sensible argument and prediction - although sports results do sometimes laugh in the face of good logical argument type predictions.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 02 Jun 2016, 10:11 am

I'd spotted what NS identified in their H2H as well - Djoko in 4 I'd say.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 02 Jun 2016, 10:44 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Murray is now 34-3 on clay since last year. His record prior to then was 61-37, so a quite remarkable turnaround that. He's also 7-3 against top ten players (3 defeats against Djokovic x2 and Nadal), before that he was 1-13 (the win must be the Davydenko match from Monte Carlo 09?).

This was also his 100th match against a Frenchman, he's won 86 of those, including the last 16 and 37 of the last 39.

So he's only 5 wins short of 100 clay wins? Yvonne's 3 x 100 wins thread needs an update!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 02 Jun 2016, 11:15 am

Depends on conditions. Berdych is like Soderling; he has the power to hit through a damp court.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3