The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread.

+46
HongKongCherry
yappysnap
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
Welly
Ozzy3213
rosbif
propdavid_london
TightHEAD
carpet baboon
WELL-PAST-IT
Scottrf
SirBurger
geoff999rugby
jimbopip
cakeordeath
Geen sport voor watjes
BigGee
bsando
offload
TJ
Pot Hale
mid_gen
marty2086
Big
Artful_Dodger
Exiledinborders
SecretFly
doctor_grey
dragon4life
hugehandoff
Rugby Fan
whocares
stub
Heaf
eirebilly
George Carlin
screamingaddabs
maestegmafia
mikey_dragon
Geordie
DaveM
nathan
broadlandboy
lostinwales
BamBam
50 posters

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next

Go down

Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread. - Page 4 Empty Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread.

Post by Welly Fri 10 Jun 2016, 12:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

2016/17:
Director of Rugby: Richard Cockerill
Head Coach: Aaron Mauger
Assistant Backs Coach: Geordan Murphy
Assistant Forward Coach: Richard Blaze
Defence and Scrum Half Coach: Scott Hansen
Head of Rugby Operations: Ged Glynn
Team manager: Matt Cornwall

2016/17 Senior Squad: (Confirmed So Far) (Blue = EQP)
Hookers: Bateman, McGuigan, Thacker, Youngs
Props: Ayerza, Balmain, Brugnara Cilliers, Cole, Genge, Mulipola, Rizzo
Locks: Barrow, Fitzgerald, Kitchener, Slater
Back Row: Croft, Fonua, Hamilton McCaffrey, O'Connor, Williams
Scrum Half: Harrison, Kitto, Youngs
Fly Half: Burns, Williams
Centre: Catchpole, Roberts, Smith, Toomua, Tuilagi
Back 3: Betham, Brady, Pieterson, Tait, Thompstone, Veainu
Squad number: 37, EQP: 24, Academy products: 8

Transfers
IN: (7)
McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons), Cilliers (Montpelier), Genge (Bristol), Hamilton (Agen), Toomua (ACT Brumbies). JP Pieterson (Sharks), Brady (Sale)

OUT: (12)
Ghiraldini (Toulouse), Pasquali (Treviso), De Chaves (London Irish), Crane (Bristol), Pearce (Sale), Bell (London Irish), Baikeinuku (retirement), De Villiers (Retirement), Benjamin (retirement), Morris (N/A), Camacho (N/A), Goneva (Newcastle Falcons)

Not Sure: (No official confirmation of leaving or Staying) 3
Aguero, Sio Loamanu,

Rumours:
Harry Wells (Bedford) Lock/6

2016/17 Development Squad: (15)
Bryant, Evans, Hills, Lewis, Mahoney, Maksymiw, J.Olowofela, R. Olowofela, Owen, Simmons, Thacker, Tuilagi, White, Worth, Yawayawa

Transfer
IN: (7)
Lewis, Mahoney, J.Olowofela, R. Olowofela, Simmons, White, Yawayawa

OUT: 11
Odogwu (sale), Beckett (Glous), Povoas (Coventry), Tresidder (Rotherham Titans), Douglas, Farnworth, Galletly, Hogan, Murrin, Nairn, Priestley-Nangle.

Academy
Academy Head Coach/forwards Coach: Brett Deacon
Academy Backs Coach: Anthony Allen

Last edited by Welly on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Welly

Back to top Go down

Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread.

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 19 Sep 2016, 9:06 pm

Well considering at one point we were 25 points up it might have been an awkward dressing room had Worth not slotted that last penalty.

Nice to see tries from young Fred and Thacker getting on the score sheet.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread. - Page 4 Empty Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread.

Post by king_carlos Mon 19 Sep 2016, 11:31 pm

It's good to see Jordan Olowefela getting some opportunities after impressing in the Sevens. That's a good win against a likewise strong A-team set-up, especially without a fly half available. I'm surprised that Tom Hardwick wasn't picked to step-up with Oli Bryant not involved.

Brugnara must be wondering what he's still doing at the club when he can't get onto the A-team bench though.

As for Cockers, I say give him a chance to see what our forwards manage in the ERCC after a bit of time for our best starting 8 to be figured out. If we have limited injuries come Europe and a pack with the options he has are still struggling then alarm bells will be ringing. As for our current situation, we may not have performed well but are 2 from 3 having lost to a Wasps side who have similar current ambitions to us but more resources. Give the season a bit more time to pan out Tigers!

Looking to the weekend I'd get Wee Harry onto the bench as a rocket up the packs a***. We need to rotate now we have the squad for it so I'd rest McGuigan. If Manu's available I'd hold him back on the bench but it's a big if when his groin injury has flared up.

Ayerza, Youngs, Cole, Fitzgerald, Kitchener, Williams, O'Connor, McCaffery
Youngs, Burns/Williams, JPP, Smith, Betham, Thompstone, Veainu

Reps: Thacker, Genge, Logo, Slater, Evans, Harrison, Williams/Roberts, Tait

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 20 Sep 2016, 7:53 am

Betham has, for me, been quite easily our worst player this season. Lethargic in attack and absent in defence. However the real issue is not of individual players but a general laziness in working off the ball, exacerbated by the tendency for various players to rush ahead in defence. When it was Manu in R1 it could be attributed to over exuberance, but since then it has been Burns, Smith, Williams, Betham, JPP.

It is nigh on impossible for any back 3 player to counterattack when they get the ball and no team-mates can be arsed to get back.

I would be interesting to know how coaching duties are divided up. Is Mauger in charge with Happen, Blaze &Geordie Assassins, and Cockerill just watching?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 20 Sep 2016, 8:59 am

When is Owen Williams fit again?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 20 Sep 2016, 9:25 am

maestegmafia wrote:When is Owen Williams fit again?
He started at 12 against Falcons.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 20 Sep 2016, 9:27 am

Maes, Williams was fir enough to fill in at 12 on Sunday. Could well be starting at 10 this weekend with Burns HIA results pending.

Agree LT the team does look lethargic. Betham in particular. I'd like to see Roberts and Smith make up the midfield for the weekend with Betham and Tait dropped. TV, JPP and Thompstone back three. We're going to need to be solid in order to stop Bath.

I presume Manu is still injured.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 21 Sep 2016, 9:52 pm

Cockers confirmed in the Merc that Barrow, Manu and Croft are still out for the weekend. Barrow is back in full training after his head knock though.

Ayerza is back fit and is Locky. Owen Williams came through Saturday with no adverse effects from the return. Interesting that Burns isn't mentioned though.

I'd be interested in seeing Roberts start in a strong back line Sam. Betham has been poor but I think Cockers will stick with him, expectation amongst a lot of fans I've spoken to is that given his class he'll quickly settle back into the form of last season. Ideally I think he needs time out on the wing for that to happen but with no Manu/Toomua we are piecing things together again.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 21 Sep 2016, 10:02 pm

Roberts looked solid at the weekend when he came on and with Smith that should work.

Burns HIA test will probably take place on the Friday prior to naming the team or he'll be named in the team and tested on the Saturday.

Move Betham to the wing and TV to fullback. Ditch Tait to the bench.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 23 Sep 2016, 1:06 am

In bright news, Toomua will arrive at the club on Wednesday. He will need rest and management in training until he's ready to play but great to hear that he's finally arriving.

In less optimistic news, Brugnara appears to have been bumped down to the development squad. Since the new coaching staff came in he has really struggled for game time and with Genge at the club, Marcos not playing international and Rizzo returning that game time isn't likely to increase either.

http://www.leicestertigers.com/rugby/leicester_tigers_development_squad.php

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 23 Sep 2016, 9:36 am

Brugnara isn't strong enough at the scrum. It held him back on loan at Donny last season and it'll keep him out of the first team squad at Tigers. Now the man I feel sorry for is Balmain who looked lively in the highlights from the A league and put in some hard graft over the last two seasons but now seems to be the forgotten man.

Good news on Toomua. He'll definitely need some settling in time but he could be in action by mid October which is going to hopefully lift our midfield. His presence might fire rockets up some backsides in the short term as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Mon 26 Sep 2016, 11:04 am

Does anyone know if the Tait at 12 decision on the weekend was simply tactical or forced? Seemed odd to me, but it definitely worked...
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 26 Sep 2016, 11:47 am

screamingaddabs wrote:Does anyone know if the Tait at 12 decision on the weekend was simply tactical or forced?  Seemed odd to me, but it definitely worked...

The original selection was Burns 10/Williams 12. However Burns (who had a head knock last week) reported unwell and was moved to the bench (seriously hope they did not play fast and loose with the HIA stuff). Then the decision was whether to put Roberts in (as the centre on the bench), call up Matt Smith (who Mauger does not seem overly keen on) or as they did use Tait in his schoolboy position of 12. Tait played quite a few games in the centres for us last season, mainly 13 but certainly at least once at 12, and yes it did seem to work pretty well. Certainly well enough to do again in Salford this weekend.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 26 Sep 2016, 12:04 pm

screamingaddabs wrote:Does anyone know if the Tait at 12 decision on the weekend was simply tactical or forced?  Seemed odd to me, but it definitely worked...

He's gone there before. We seem to like a playmaker there which is a little harsh on Smith who was the pick of the centres from the first three games. Makes sense given be no longer has any real pace, good step and good skills mean he can do the job there and his experience did help organise the defensive line.

He looked good but then the whole backline looked better with Owen calling the show from 10. I still think Burns is in danger of being the best fullback we never had. His kicking and running game from 15 and ability to come in as a second playmaker seems a better fit than at 10 where's he's struggling to give the team momentum.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 03 Oct 2016, 8:39 pm

Two penalty tries from the scrum in the first half vs Sale in the A league. Thacker and Balmain are at 2 & 3 will we see either in the first team given that neither Bateman nor McGuigan have really hit their straps yet?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 07 Oct 2016, 10:31 am

Scott Hansen gone. With all the tries being leaked not a surprise - but the issue lies deeper than that.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 07 Oct 2016, 10:40 am

Man that's brutal!

Compare that to Quins approach and we've conceded more but wouldn't sack our D coach.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Oct 2016, 11:07 am

I expected him to go next summer if no improvement was forthcoming but if there are other issues maybe it's better to sort these things out earlier. I heard a rumour someone was gine/going earlier this week so I'm not surprised it was him (only front line coach who is a former player).

What do we do now? Current coaches take the workload on or do we look to promote one of Allen or Brett Deacon up from the academy? I don't think any other defence coaches are readily available are they?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 07 Oct 2016, 11:52 am

The issue seems to be the transfer from attacking to defending. When the opposition have the ball we generally defend pretty well. Problems have come when we lose the ball in attack. So general defensive organisation is good, but adjusting poor. One solution is to look after the ball better, but we have to drill the players to work hard off the ball (in attack and defence) so they get into the right places.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 08 Oct 2016, 2:01 pm

LondonTiger wrote:The issue seems to be the transfer from attacking to defending. When the opposition have the ball we generally defend pretty well. Problems have come when we lose the ball in attack. So general defensive organisation is good, but adjusting poor. One solution is to look after the ball better, but we have to drill the players to work hard off the ball (in attack and defence) so they get into the right places.

That sums it up. Very frustrating to watch.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 10 Oct 2016, 7:45 pm

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:33 pm

Apparently Mike Williams has re-broken his arm in a warm up exercise with Matt Toomua before the Worcester game. Horrendous luck for the big guy who's been doing what he does best and smashing everything this season and could have easily been an international. Lets hope there's no complications as that's the third break on that arm inside 18 months.

On the plus side Toomua taking part in the warm is a good indication he's over his concussion issues and might be ready to play soon.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 18 Oct 2016, 10:22 pm

Tom Youngs and JPP both fit for the weekend - huge boost that, we are going to need them.

Manu around 3 weeks from being involved in a match day squad according to Cockers. I won't hold my breath though!

No news on Ayerza.

There are also some lovely ideas for tributes to Anthony Foley for Saturday being suggested on the offy. From renditions of The Fields of Athenry to fans bringing Irish flags with them. I can't make it sadly but it would be lovely if the fans and the club made a gesture together for the great man.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 19 Oct 2016, 9:33 am

If every game breaks into The Fields of Athenry after 8 minutes that would be a beautiful tribute and they'll be a distinct lack of dry eyes. Though I'll also be missing the game as I'll be either in a plane or just landed on the other side of the world.

JPP would be a welcome return as Brady looked out of his depth vs Glasgow after previous good showings. Youngs hasn't really hit the straps this season and I'd be just as happy to see Thacker start because he is more of a terrier and may well be more fired up to make a point.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 20 Oct 2016, 3:57 pm

Am I the only one that hopes when the side is announced tomorrow we have given some players a chance given the starters have yet to shine?

I'm hoping for something like;

Genge, Thacker, Cole
Slater, Kitchener 
Hamilton, McCaffery, Evans
Youngs, Williams
Toomua, Smith
JPP, TV, Thompstone

Bench: Youngs, Ayerza/Balmain, Mulipola, Fitzgerald, BOC, Harrison, Burns, Betham.

What I actually predict;

Genge, Youngs, Cole
Barrow, Fitzgerald 
Hamilton, McCaffery, BOC
Youngs, Burns
Toomua, Tait
JPP, TV, Thompstone

Bench; Thacker, Ayerza/Bateman, Mulipola, Slater, Evans, Harrison, Williams, Betham.

If the predicted team rolls out I can see the Racing midfield giving us a kicking and us losing for the second time this season at WR. I really hope defensive organisation and attacking the ruck have been the focus of this week in training.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:20 pm

We learn nothing. Form hooker isn't in the squad. Barrow and Tait somehow retain their places despite last week. No Genge is a concern and dropping Kitchener to the bench unbelievable  (best forward sp far this season). Disappointed. 

Leicester Tigers
15Telusa Veainu
14Adam Thompstone
13Matthew Tait
12Matt To'omua
11JP Pietersen
10Owen Williams
9Ben Youngs
1Marcos Ayerza
2Tom Youngs (capt)
3Dan Cole
4Ed Slater
5Dom Barrow
6Michael Fitzgerald
7Brendon O'Connor
8Lachlan McCaffrey

16George McGuigan
17Logovii Mulipola
18Greg Bateman
19Graham Kitchener
20William Evans
21Sam Harrison
22Freddie Burns
23Peter Betham

Racing 9215Brice Dulin14Joe Rokocoko13Johannes Goosen12Henry Chavancy11Juan Imhoff10Dan Carter9Maxime Machenaud (capt)1Eddy Ben Arous2Camille Chat3Ben Tameifuna4Leone Nakarawa5Manuel Carizza6Wenceslas Lauret7Yannick Nyanga8Chris Masoe16Virgile Lacombe17Viliamu Afatia18Luc Ducalcon19Francois van der Merwe20Thibault Dubarry21James Hart22Albert Vulivuli23Anthony Tuitavake

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:11 pm

This could be a painful trip on Sunday. At least last week I had my brother with me, and like me he was hysterical. The thought of two hours in the car with my father after we have been humped is not filling me with joy.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:50 pm

I'm glad I'm away for this one LT. I fear a new record defeat is on the horizon. The team selection does not suggest we learnt the lessons from last weekend at all. My commiserations for your long journey home. 

I can't believe we're going to play with the same lack of midfield options. I hope they change the game plan to allow the wingers to come in and offer some sort of physical get out to Williams.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 21 Oct 2016, 7:25 pm

Lose tomorrow (especially without taking anything away) and pressure will really mount on Cockers. We'd effectively be out of the Europe after 2 pool games. Unless this ends up being a freak group such as the Exeter, Clermont, Os and Bordeaux last season of course!

I really like him as DOR. He's got green and white running through his veins, respects how much the club means to the community and has put together a talented coaching staff underneath him. His main coaching duty now appears to be the scrum and tight work though which has been disappointing all season.

It's a such a huge game for the club as a whole.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 21 Oct 2016, 9:00 pm

You can't play as badly as we're playing and expect our fans to put up with it. If our losses had been close and our wins more comfortable the things would be different butour defence has been woeful and our selection and tactics incoherent. We were so much better than this lady season, we were far from the finished article but there was something. I don't know how it's gone so wrong.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 22 Oct 2016, 9:36 am

...and you have to try to stop one of Glasgow's favorite sons Leone Nakarawa from offloading. Erm
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:56 am

George Carlin wrote:...and you have to try to stop one of Glasgow's favorite sons Leone Nakarawa from offloading. Erm

Based on previous defensive displays I doubt he'll need to bother with the offload. Our players have tended to part like the sea for Moses around the breakdown.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 23 Oct 2016, 5:08 pm

You all ready for another big loss?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 23 Oct 2016, 5:16 pm

I would say I think we can sneak it if the quality of our experienced heads wake up and play to their best. I said similar last week as well though picard

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 23 Oct 2016, 5:20 pm

Massive game for the Tigers here after last weeks game. Good luck yo yi and I hope ye get the win thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 23 Oct 2016, 5:35 pm

That was lovely from the Tigers club and fans. Back when Axel was still playing, yiz were our biggest rivals in European Rugby.

Quality club and set of fans. Thanks.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 23 Oct 2016, 5:38 pm

Forwards working well so far

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 23 Oct 2016, 5:38 pm

That's the start we needed. Line-out and maul looking potent, Lenny running slickly at the base and Toomua involved early.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 23 Oct 2016, 5:40 pm

Maybe a tad lucky not to get pinged for breaking the new maul laws ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 23 Oct 2016, 5:58 pm

Toomua is going to be out for a while by the looks of it Poopie

Looking better

Last edited by Welly on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sun 23 Oct 2016, 5:59 pm

nathan wrote:You all ready for another big loss?

Hoping not Nathan!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:00 pm

Crying or Very sad Tamoua off injured, hopefully not too bad

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:02 pm

Slater is giving a timely reminder of how good he can be with all the injuries.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:03 pm

How did they manage not to score a try there ...  Tigers I mean

Last edited by Heaf on Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:04 pm

First up tackles have still been poor but fringe defence is looking much better.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:04 pm

Heaf wrote:How did they manage not to score a try there ...
Tigers or racing?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:06 pm

First Tigers in the corner ... before Racing muffed their chance

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:06 pm

Heaf wrote:How did they manage not to score a try there ...  Tigers I mean
Just taking a guess you'd like Tigers to lose ......

Going on the last couple of posts

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:07 pm

Tigers defence looking a bit more robust so far this week

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:07 pm

Nope - I was disappointed they missed scoring when it looked like a walk in ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sun 23 Oct 2016, 6:08 pm

Just calling it like I see it

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next