The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread.

+46
HongKongCherry
yappysnap
LondonTiger
Sgt_Pooly
Welly
Ozzy3213
rosbif
propdavid_london
TightHEAD
carpet baboon
WELL-PAST-IT
Scottrf
SirBurger
geoff999rugby
jimbopip
cakeordeath
Geen sport voor watjes
BigGee
bsando
offload
TJ
Pot Hale
mid_gen
marty2086
Big
Artful_Dodger
Exiledinborders
SecretFly
doctor_grey
dragon4life
hugehandoff
Rugby Fan
whocares
stub
Heaf
eirebilly
George Carlin
screamingaddabs
maestegmafia
mikey_dragon
Geordie
DaveM
nathan
broadlandboy
lostinwales
BamBam
50 posters

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread. - Page 13 Empty Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread.

Post by Welly Fri 10 Jun 2016, 12:47 pm

First topic message reminder :

2016/17:
Director of Rugby: Richard Cockerill
Head Coach: Aaron Mauger
Assistant Backs Coach: Geordan Murphy
Assistant Forward Coach: Richard Blaze
Defence and Scrum Half Coach: Scott Hansen
Head of Rugby Operations: Ged Glynn
Team manager: Matt Cornwall

2016/17 Senior Squad: (Confirmed So Far) (Blue = EQP)
Hookers: Bateman, McGuigan, Thacker, Youngs
Props: Ayerza, Balmain, Brugnara Cilliers, Cole, Genge, Mulipola, Rizzo
Locks: Barrow, Fitzgerald, Kitchener, Slater
Back Row: Croft, Fonua, Hamilton McCaffrey, O'Connor, Williams
Scrum Half: Harrison, Kitto, Youngs
Fly Half: Burns, Williams
Centre: Catchpole, Roberts, Smith, Toomua, Tuilagi
Back 3: Betham, Brady, Pieterson, Tait, Thompstone, Veainu
Squad number: 37, EQP: 24, Academy products: 8

Transfers
IN: (7)
McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons), Cilliers (Montpelier), Genge (Bristol), Hamilton (Agen), Toomua (ACT Brumbies). JP Pieterson (Sharks), Brady (Sale)

OUT: (12)
Ghiraldini (Toulouse), Pasquali (Treviso), De Chaves (London Irish), Crane (Bristol), Pearce (Sale), Bell (London Irish), Baikeinuku (retirement), De Villiers (Retirement), Benjamin (retirement), Morris (N/A), Camacho (N/A), Goneva (Newcastle Falcons)

Not Sure: (No official confirmation of leaving or Staying) 3
Aguero, Sio Loamanu,

Rumours:
Harry Wells (Bedford) Lock/6

2016/17 Development Squad: (15)
Bryant, Evans, Hills, Lewis, Mahoney, Maksymiw, J.Olowofela, R. Olowofela, Owen, Simmons, Thacker, Tuilagi, White, Worth, Yawayawa

Transfer
IN: (7)
Lewis, Mahoney, J.Olowofela, R. Olowofela, Simmons, White, Yawayawa

OUT: 11
Odogwu (sale), Beckett (Glous), Povoas (Coventry), Tresidder (Rotherham Titans), Douglas, Farnworth, Galletly, Hogan, Murrin, Nairn, Priestley-Nangle.

Academy
Academy Head Coach/forwards Coach: Brett Deacon
Academy Backs Coach: Anthony Allen

Last edited by Welly on Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Welly

Back to top Go down

Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread. - Page 13 Empty Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread.

Post by king_carlos Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:04 pm

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. We saw last season that gelling a new game plan and players together all at once takes time. The disjointed attack and missed chances are still a symptom of that.

I think fans also need to be realistic that drawing players to the club will be even more difficult when the side is playing so poorly. Added to the behind the times facilities, lower wages than competitors will offer and uncertainty over their DOR.

I'd look to keep the bulk of the squad the same but invest where additions are most needed.

1) Sort the back row balance. Kalamofoni will be a good start, he can cover 6 and 8 plus offers what we need. Another ball carrying 8 is needed as well though and if BOC goes an experienced 7 too.

2) A new 10 to challenge Freddie. Ford or an experienced signing such as Flood, whichever way a 10 is needed.

3) Replace Balmain, Rizzo and Brugnara with a tight head to challenge Cole. Ducalcon would be a good signing.

4) Sort hooker situation. If OTY can't rediscover form with injuries catching up then a signing is needed. McGuigan I rate and want to keep. Harry will do best in the back row. Using Bateman at hooker would offer bulk to the pack when wanted.

5) If Tait goes then a solid full back to link with our excellent wingers is needed. Someone to rotate with Worth for a couple of seasons too.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread. - Page 13 Empty Re: Leicester Tigers 2016/17 thread.

Post by king_carlos Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:10 pm

Short term I'd make Slater captain again. I think it would be best for the club Slater and OTY.

Worth should be at 15 against Glasgow given how short of match sharpness Tait looked.

Genge is going to burn out soon if Marcos and Logo aren't available. Especially if he's involved in the 6 Nations. He's stepped up really well (my first choice LH now when all fit) but needs a rest at some point.

The AWC can't come soon enough for a fair few players and the coaches.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:47 pm

Agree with Slater as captain. 

Tait needs to be replaced, there's not a shortage of good fullbacks around so it shouldn't be a serious problem finding one.

Bateman isn't a hooker we can use in the big games, his lineout work is shoddy at best. He's more useful as a utility option. I'd use him more as a prop. Front row options next season;

LH: Genge, Ayerza, Mulipola
Hooker: Youngs, Thacker/A N Other, McGuigan
TH: Cole, Cilliers, Bateman, Betts

Given some can cover multiple positions they should be adequate options. Signing Ducalcon will cost about the same as Rizzo and then probably what Brugnara is on as well. We'd still be piling more cash into the front row especially if we are to sign another hooker as well.

PI utility back and then replacements for Fitzgerald and BOC. Then we're done. Well apart from the ongoing flyhalf problem...

For the AWC I'd like to see us really give some of the younger guys a go. A backline of Kitto, Hardwick, Brady, Thacker, Roberts, Yawayawa and Worth would be a good opportunity for some players to stick their hands up. A pack of Brugnara, McGuigan, Bateman, Wells, Fitzgerald, Croft, Thacker and Hamilton should give them a platform as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:43 pm

Hardwick will prob have to start unless Bryant or Williams are fit.

Although could see worth and Harrison start at 10.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:51 pm

I don't see why we wouldn't give Hardwick some game time. Have Harrison on the bench to cover 10 in case Hardwick takes a battering. We started Ford at a younger age so if he's good enough he's old enough.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 15 Jan 2017, 7:04 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Agree with Slater as captain. 

Tait needs to be replaced, there's not a shortage of good fullbacks around so it shouldn't be a serious problem finding one.

Bateman isn't a hooker we can use in the big games, his lineout work is shoddy at best. He's more useful as a utility option. I'd use him more as a prop. Front row options next season;

LH: Genge, Ayerza, Mulipola
Hooker: Youngs, Thacker/A N Other, McGuigan
TH: Cole, Cilliers, Bateman, Betts

Given some can cover multiple positions they should be adequate options. Signing Ducalcon will cost about the same as Rizzo and then probably what Brugnara is on as well. We'd still be piling more cash into the front row especially if we are to sign another hooker as well.

PI utility back and then replacements for Fitzgerald and BOC. Then we're done. Well apart from the ongoing flyhalf problem...

For the AWC I'd like to see us really give some of the younger guys a go. A backline of Kitto, Hardwick, Brady, Thacker, Roberts, Yawayawa and Worth would be a good opportunity for some players to stick their hands up. A pack of Brugnara, McGuigan, Bateman, Wells, Fitzgerald, Croft, Thacker and Hamilton should give them a platform as well.
Re Bateman - If Thacker were at 7 then the issues with throwing would be less concerning...

Re Ducalcon - He'd give us a TH to genuinely rotate with Cole, which is much needed for the squad and Cole himself. Ducalcon's a better player than Cilliers and wont be unavailable during international windows which will be the case with Cole, often Genge and Logo when he's fit.

Bateman could offer the bigger hooker option that most want without needing to fork out at hooker. If Harry moved to flanker then a 4th hooker could be found from the Championship.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 15 Jan 2017, 7:37 pm

I do like the idea of having Thacker play openside and throw in whilst Bateman gives us extra go forward in the scrum and rolling maul. Against big packs like Racing it could do wonders, especially if We've reinforced the pack a little. Thacker has very good off the bench in defence last night, there was one tackle in particular where he really drove back one of the Racing second rows.

There are good hookers in the Championship and some big ones that'll do a job for us as squad cover. Logo seems out of favour with Samoa and can play both sides, Cilliers seems to be doing well now he's fit and playing whilst Bateman is solid. Another tighthead would be a luxury for me, Betts is coming through and we need to use him more to develop him. If we can sign all the other players we need for the squad then still afford Ducalcon then excellent.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 15 Jan 2017, 7:40 pm

Mermoz being linked with the French press (again). Cheeky mid season signing maybe.

https://m.midi-olympique.fr/breve/27917-maxime-mermoz-en-route-pour-leicester

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 15 Jan 2017, 7:48 pm

Logo can play both sides but has always scrummaged better at loose head. He'd only played tight head a bit when he was thrown in at the deep end when Cole had his neck injury. Given his injury problems it would be no bad thing to let him pick a side and stick there.

Mermoz would be a good signing. He'd be excellent for the rest of this season. That article says it would be three year deal. If so he'd offer good cover for Manu and Toomua.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 15 Jan 2017, 8:13 pm

If Mermoz joins we can concentrate on the fullback and flyhalf we need to round out the squad for next season. Makes sense to get our business done early and helpful he can join now.

I'd prefer Logo to concentrate on LH but in an emergency he can play TH. I'm really hoping to see Betts off the bench in the LV Cup to see if he has what it takes to step up for next season and offer some deep squad cover.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 15 Jan 2017, 8:19 pm

BBC Leicester reporting that Mermoz will join as a medical joker until the end of the season. A three year deal will then commence starting in the summer.

It sounds as if the 3 year deal was already agreed but he is coming early.

An excellent bit of business IMO.  clap

As fkaS says it also leaves us with just full back (Tait situation dependent) and fly half to sort then our recruitment in the backs will be near done for next season.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 15 Jan 2017, 8:35 pm

Tait needs to be got rid of. He's been all over the shop this season at fullback and we have better options at centre. He should go and get his pension top up in France. There's better fullbacks we can get for the same salary cap space.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 16 Jan 2017, 5:54 pm

Evening Tiggers fans, especially Welly. Apparently between 600-800 Glasgow fans will be heading south on Saturday. This does not include exiles like myself who will be coming up from the southernmost regions of Engerlund.
So, can anyone suggest any decent boozers near Welford Road for pre match drinkies? Or afters?
I'm almost embarrassed to ask but I will be meeting friends who wish to have a decent lunch before the game (Solids? On tour??) so if anyone can recommend anywhere preferably between the train station and stadium, I'd be grateful.
Finally, I'll say it before we start arguing over the outcome; Welford Road is one of the "real" rugby grounds and I can't wait to experience it. I just wish it was qualification or bust for both sides.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2017, 6:49 pm

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/main/s103/st178484.htm

Would be a good place to start Jimbo, I'm pretty sure it's kept more or less up to date.

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 16 Jan 2017, 6:50 pm

So tiggers fans - will you put out a full strength team for Glasgow do you think - after all you need some wins in the euro cup - or will you play a weaker team to save guys for crucial league games now that you are out of the euro cup?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 16 Jan 2017, 6:56 pm

Thank you Fuzzy, bedtime reading for me then.

What sort of side do you think we'll see on Saturday?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 16 Jan 2017, 7:02 pm

jimbopip - I'll vouch for the Bricklayers for a drink, it's as close to the stadium as you'll get without being in it. It has always had a great crowd in during the game and plenty stick around after as well. Will be very busy on match day though obviously.

All that said I haven't been in over a year because I'm now living up in Edinburgh so trips I can make to WR are just day trips these days.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 16 Jan 2017, 7:09 pm

TJ and jimbopip

It will be as close to full strength as Mauger can field.

Our away form has been atrocious but we have still won both our home European games and only lost to Sarries and Wasps (top 2 in the AP) at home this season. Our home form has been solid to good and winning at home is huge to Tigers given how great the support at Welford Road is.

George Worth might start at full back ahead of Tait who struggled for fitness in Paris. Most would agree that will strengthen the side given their form at the moment though.

I've heard a few fans say Tom Youngs might be rested given his form but I can't see that happening at home when he's skipper. I wouldn't mind McGuigan getting a start anyway being honest.

Perhaps Jack Roberts will come back into the centre but I reckon Mauger will be keen to keep Matt Smith and Betham together then start Roberts in the AWC.

There are a few murmurs that Ayerza and Dom Barrow will be fit for this weekend as well which would really strengthen the bench.

Long story short it should be as strong a side as Tigers can field with what's available.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 16 Jan 2017, 7:11 pm

Ta

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2017, 7:14 pm

Nothing much has leaked out of the camp about how Tigers will approach the game but I'm confident the strongest team available will be picked. Not because Mauger will care at all about the result, there's just a real need for a settled squad to develop some cohesion. The backs in particular have been shifted and changed so much due to injuries this season they've looked like a scratch team.

So, while it will be a strong enough line up, if Glasgow get stuck into them early they'll enter training ground mode and defence will become optional. Expect lots of flashy exciting pre-planned attacks that go absolutely nowhere until someone drops the ball. If Cockers was still around I'd back them to grind out an ugly win but unfortunately I'm not sure Mauger's gentle, reassuring approach can bring out the reaction needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 16 Jan 2017, 7:40 pm

jimbopip wrote:Evening Tiggers fans, especially Welly. Apparently between 600-800 Glasgow fans will be heading south on Saturday. This does not include exiles like myself who will be coming up from the southernmost regions of Engerlund.
So, can anyone suggest any decent boozers near Welford Road for pre match drinkies? Or afters?
I'm almost embarrassed to ask but I will be meeting friends who wish to have a decent lunch before the game (Solids? On tour??) so if anyone can recommend anywhere preferably between the train station and stadium, I'd be grateful.
Finally, I'll say it before we start arguing over the outcome; Welford Road is one of the "real" rugby grounds and I can't wait to experience it. I just wish it was qualification or bust for both sides.

You don't get much between the station and the stadium because you can see one from the other pretty much. It's a ten minute walk, if that.

The Kayal restaurant is just down from the station (cross the road heading right out of the station) and that does a nice lunch. The Parcel Yard literally next to the station  (look for the statue of Thomas Cook) does a fair pint and some better than average pub grub.

If you fancy a little walk then head towards St Martins square where there are some tasty restaurants. From there you can head to the Blue Boar and Brewdog both of which boast a good selection of beers. You'll still only be ten minutes from the ground by foot and you can get there from the station easily.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 16 Jan 2017, 9:11 pm

FKASam, thanks. Food for thought as it were.
Hug

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:19 pm

Strongest team? Buggeration. Glasgow have to win with a bonus point really. Can't you go soft on them? We will provide the buckfast and deep fried mars bars?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 16 Jan 2017, 11:00 pm

jimbopip wrote:Evening Tiggers fans, especially Welly. Apparently between 600-800 Glasgow fans will be heading south on Saturday. This does not include exiles like myself who will be coming up from the southernmost regions of Engerlund.

Leaicester is THE place to get your curry fill.

And for that there is no place better than Kayal, honestly the food there is pretty unique (well in my experiance) excellent stuff.

Honestly a brilliant curry experiance.

Drinks pre match the Swan and Rushes is the obvious one but fills up fast.

(Plenty of options mention by Sam for pub grub but I'm a curry man).

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 17 Jan 2017, 12:24 pm

Owen Williams just named in Wales 6Ns squad.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 17 Jan 2017, 12:41 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Owen Williams just named in Wales 6Ns squad.

Might stuggle with his injury.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 17 Jan 2017, 12:43 pm

Welly wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Owen Williams just named in Wales 6Ns squad.

Might stuggle with his injury.

That was my second thought when I saw his name.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 17 Jan 2017, 12:47 pm

Don't think Glasgow need a bonus point but obviously need a win

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 17 Jan 2017, 1:05 pm

Welly wrote:

Leaicester is THE place to get your curry fill.

And for that there is no place better than Kayal, honestly the food there is pretty unique (well in my experiance) excellent stuff.

Honestly a brilliant curry experiance.

Drinks pre match the Swan and Rushes is the obvious one but fills up fast.

(Plenty of options mention by Sam for pub grub but I'm a curry man).

I do like Kayal and it has been featured on Mr Hollywood's best breads in Britain programme thingy he did a while back. Chutney Ivy is the only other one I'd recommend in the cit centre, food there is excellent but it's in the wrong direction for WR.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:18 pm

Welly, FKASam, thanks for the advice. It would appear that the XVIth Warrior has decided upon The Parcel Yard as the Fanzone for before, and probably after the match. If any posters want a pre-match blether then that's where to find us.This works for those of us who are in the Ibis or Premier Inn.
Kayal looks interesting so I think it may be a throwback to my student days of lots of beer and a curry late on Saturday evening. Ale guinness cider RedWine

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:18 pm

Welly, FKASam, thanks for the advice. It would appear that the XVIth Warrior has decided upon The Parcel Yard as the Fanzone for before, and probably after the match. If any posters want a pre-match blether then that's where to find us.This works for those of us who are in the Ibis or Premier Inn.
Kayal looks interesting so I think it may be a throwback to my student days of lots of beer and a curry late on Saturday evening. Ale guinness cider RedWine

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:57 pm

Probably the logical choice for a fanzone as it's with in staggering distance of the train station. Kayal you can see from the front door of Parcel Yard.

I won't be around, I still play on a Saturday afternoon. It should be a good game though and if Owen is fit enough to be in the Wales squad hopefully he'll be fit enough to he'll flesh out the squad this weekend. He looked a bit out of sorts against Wasps but us usually a good controlling 10 which will be handy of Burns disappears like he did against Racing.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 17 Jan 2017, 4:02 pm

Aye but can he control himself, never mind the game, when the Human Exocet is hurtling towards him?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 17 Jan 2017, 5:44 pm

jimbopip wrote:Aye but can he control himself, never mind the game, when the Human Exocet is hurtling towards him?

Williams is a big boy he'll be fine. Plus he'll probably he on the bench.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 17 Jan 2017, 10:56 pm

Logo out for the season because of his knee injury.

Mauger has said that the clubs focus is now to get him up and running again for next season. That's probably just a generic coaches response but my optimistic side hopes it means he's agreed a contract extension.

Rumours are that there will be another batch of re-signings announced tomorrow alongside Mermoz.

There are a few key players out of contract so if it's true announcements are coming tomorrow then top of my wish list would be:

Genge
Locky
Thacker
Harrison
Logo

The likes of O'Connor, Fitzgerald, Bateman, Roberts and Tait are also out of contract from the regular match day squad.

Plus young academy grads like Worth, Bryant and Wells will need new deals.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:33 am

I'd be really surprised if Genge's current deal doesn't already have him tied up for next season, possibly through to the end of 2018-2019 season. If he was only offered a 1 year deal then that'd be a huge Frak up on their part, his potential was pretty clear from the moment he arrived on loan.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:07 am

I think the Genge thing is a misunderstanding on the offy forum. There was talk of Genge about to sign a new deal and people have panicked thinking he's out of contract. I imagine he has one more year left but the club are moving early to get him on a long term deal as someone of his ability and potential will be attracting attention from everywhere.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:29 am

We'll take Genge off your hand if you don't want him...he'll suit our physical, athletic pack set up....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:38 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:We'll take Genge off your hand if you don't want him...he'll suit our physical, athletic pack set up....

You're getting confused. The young talent goes from Newcastle to Leicester, Genge isn't old or broken enough to be going up to Newcastle.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:44 am

Ah that was in the old days Sam...times are a changing Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 18 Jan 2017, 12:06 pm

Tell that to Barrow, McGuigan, Witty and Hammersley.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 18 Jan 2017, 12:29 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Tell that to Barrow, McGuigan, Witty and Hammersley.

Ah they haven't been missed. Your welcome to them Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:05 am

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/27598/ellis-genge-im-staying-at-leicester/

I might be reading between the lines with regards to Genge, either way it seems not to matter though which is fantastic. The guy has the perfect attitude for what our pack needs to move back to.

Hopefully that long term contract will be announced alongside a few others soon. So far this week my usually reliable friends from the Lions have expected a batch of announcements on Monday and then Wednesday to no avail. Probably best if I just keep my mouth shut now...  Doh

It would be nice if the bulk of the squad for next season could be nailed down early. Then filling in the gaps at 10 and 8 especially can start to be sorted.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 19 Jan 2017, 9:37 am

We've got Kalamafoni coming in which takes the heat off of finding an 8 (second one wouldn't go amiss). Finding a decent flyhalf is a much bigger concern and probably a much bigger cost.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Thu 19 Jan 2017, 12:54 pm

I think if we back Burns, with Toomua actually fit outside him and a pack that isn't constantly moving backwards then mebees next season he will be what we need - a spare ten for if he is injured would be good though...
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 19 Jan 2017, 1:08 pm

Burns is great one game in three. That's the problem. We can certainly help that by the forwards not being overpowered physically and not knocking the ball on in contact. Rejuvenating our backline with some youth in the back three might help as well  (Tait is well past it at 15).

We need another 10, we simply can't go into a season with Burns and no specialist cover. Sure Worth, Harrison and Toomua can all play there but that's not the same. We need a good ten, ideally competition for Burns but minimum reliable backup.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu 19 Jan 2017, 1:30 pm

Watching Leicester this season really reminds me of Irish under Tom Coventry (obviously opposite ends of the table aside). Far too lateral, not enough heavy ball carriers in the pack and real capitulations away from home. Such a shame as Leicester have gone too far away from their strengths. I know evolution is good but I think it shows (and this was true of Coventry as well) a real naivety about the English game, which is surprising from Mauger as he played here for three or four seasons.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 19 Jan 2017, 1:44 pm

SirBurger wrote:Watching Leicester this season really reminds me of Irish under Tom Coventry (obviously opposite ends of the table aside). Far too lateral, not enough heavy ball carriers in the pack and real capitulations away from home. Such a shame as Leicester have gone too far away from their strengths. I know evolution is good but I think it shows (and this was true of Coventry as well) a real naivety about the English game, which is surprising from Mauger as he played here for three or four seasons.

That's what happens when the gold train of the Falcons academy has been cut off... Very Happy Wink Whistle

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 19 Jan 2017, 1:55 pm

SirBurger wrote:Watching Leicester this season really reminds me of Irish under Tom Coventry (obviously opposite ends of the table aside). Far too lateral, not enough heavy ball carriers in the pack and real capitulations away from home. Such a shame as Leicester have gone too far away from their strengths. I know evolution is good but I think it shows (and this was true of Coventry as well) a real naivety about the English game, which is surprising from Mauger as he played here for three or four seasons.

We've been doing that in attack for years though, even before Mauger we were far too lateral and lacking a cutting edge. I'm not even sure we haven't got the ball carriers up front, if you look at the team that got us to the 2009 HEC final we have just as many big ball carriers now (if not more). We just aren't using them properly. No momentum coming on to the ball, countless handling errors. It's crap.

The one half that gave us all hope was Wasps away. That second half we blitzed their pack. Aggressive defence off line around the ruck cut all their go forward and piled pressure on their half backs. In attack we had multiple balk carriers attacking a channel to overload the defence. We have mobility so bot being the biggest doesn't matter as it's nigh on impossible to fly off the line when two or three attackers are coming down your channel. Easy to get Iver the gain line and it's what Sarries have been doing for a couple of years now.

Against Racing we did none of the above and lost the physical game completely and then the error count...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 19 Jan 2017, 2:11 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:

That's what happens when the gold train of the Falcons academy has been cut off... Very Happy Wink Whistle
Cut off LOL

Signed McGuigan and Barrow.

Also signed this season to be announced Harris and Catterick.... (Shouldn't of said that).

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next