The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Operacion Puerto - Court rules that blood bags must be released to Wada and UCI

5 posters

Go down

Operacion Puerto - Court rules that blood bags must be released to Wada and UCI Empty Operacion Puerto - Court rules that blood bags must be released to Wada and UCI

Post by barrystar Tue 14 Jun 2016, 11:59 am

At last, some good news in this case, good for clean athletes from whom suspicion may be removed, and good for the general battle vs. drug-taking in sport https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/14/operation-puerto-blood-bags-must-be-released-judge-madrid

On another note, it seems to me that the single most effective deterrent is if authorities are able to hold samples for ages on the basis that they can test them when the technology has caught up with the drugs and retrospectively ban athletes - that's the only way to put doubt in the minds of would-be cheaters (and perhaps more importantly their coaches, who want a long career) that cheats will be caught eventually.

We shall see what transpires - quite possibly an appeal, but by whom......?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Operacion Puerto - Court rules that blood bags must be released to Wada and UCI Empty Re: Operacion Puerto - Court rules that blood bags must be released to Wada and UCI

Post by Born Slippy Tue 14 Jun 2016, 12:09 pm

Will be very interesting to see what WADA do. It's quite old now though so I'd expect anyone implicated to be at the end of their career.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Operacion Puerto - Court rules that blood bags must be released to Wada and UCI Empty Re: Operacion Puerto - Court rules that blood bags must be released to Wada and UCI

Post by barrystar Tue 14 Jun 2016, 12:30 pm

Quite - thinking out loud, if I were an athlete who had a pretty good idea that one of the bags was identifiable as my blood (and accurate identity may be Wada's first problem), I'd look at insisting on Doctor - client privilege, and I would have thought that in order to overcome that Wada need to prove at least prima facie evidence of wrong-doing.  

There may be a few mountains to climb before we ever get to find out whose blood might be in those bags.

I'd like to think that there are a few cheats sweating at the news though....
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 15 Jun 2016, 11:07 am

If the blood bags are released and can be tied to a specific person would they actually result in any conviction anyway? Surely at best it's extremely suspicious and more evidence (say from Fuentes) would be necessary before anyone could be punished?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 15 Jun 2016, 11:29 am

... and Fuentes has shown willingness to document/tell his side of the story. I still suspect the viability of such samples, if not stored properly.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 15 Jun 2016, 1:57 pm

laverfan wrote:... and Fuentes has shown willingness to document/tell his side of the story. I still suspect the viability of such samples, if not stored properly.

They're frozen, so there won't be any problem.

It's not like they're testing them for banned substances. The bags are also labelled (albeit somewhat cryptically)

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 15 Jun 2016, 2:59 pm

As DJ says, this case is about blood for use in homologous blood transfusions ('blood doping'), so it is not a question of what is in the blood, merely whose it is (although if you look back at the history of Operacion Puerto, before the Spanish courts tried their damnedest to protect someone*, about 100 of the bags were tested and found to include EPO and other doping products within the blood). DNA would still be reliable from the bags, even if you couldn't necessarily trust other doping results now.

Never understood how this became so attached to Nadal - if there was someone from Spanish tennis involved, I'd be more suspicious of the older players (the likes of Moya or Ferrero, or at least their generation). Always seemed to me a case of 2+2= 473 with regard to Rafa's involvement.

*Pretty sure that would not be Alberto Contador or any of their other cyclists - not a big enough power base in Spain (otherwise Fuentes would never have been caught). Not sure even Rafa would be a big enough star to merit the legal collusion that has gone on. Indeed, I'm pretty sure that there is only one sport that would be well enough connected to almost get the blood bags destroyed and at least unidentified for a decade - a sport that in the years following Puerto, Spain has done remarkably well in internationally...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 16 Jun 2016, 9:00 am

@d-h - I am absolutely with you on the sport which may be most worried.  I read somewhere that the bags are from only a handful of athletes, of which something like 2/3 are cyclists, so we are not talking about many individuals risking exposure.  I guess if they are from a sport which has thus far snuck under the doping radar (more for bad reasons than good) the significance for the sport will be wider than the names.  Then there's the risk that Fuentes starts croaking.  If I were him I'd check my brake cables each morning and use a different route to work every day.

As I said in my opening post - there may be a number of clean athletes who are longing for the names to be released so as to strip away another reason for suspicion of them.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 16 Jun 2016, 9:53 am

barry

I've read something similar with regard to the numbers of athletes involved - 200 or so blood bags but only about 35-40 individuals involved, about 2/3 cyclists and 1/3 track and field athletes + 1 'other' (I suspect either cross country skiing or speed skating). Not sure how anyone can know this for certain, but I suspect some strategic leak through the Spanish media.

Interestingly, Wikipedia lists 40 cyclists whose names have been linked to Fuentes, but the numbers above suggests at least some of them aren't represented within the blood bags.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 19 Jun 2016, 12:26 am

Fuentes is not the only one directly linked to cyclists. Ferrari is also linked with cyclists.

This was last updated in March, 2015.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down