England 2nd best team in the world?

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by wrfc1980 on Fri 17 Jun 2016, 12:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

England are on the verge of going to 2nd in the world rankings. What do people think is their true current standing in the world? I would say that England are now clear of Wales/Ireland in the NH and are on their own as the best NH team. For the last few years there's been nothing separating Ireland/Wales and England but I feel momentum has shifted and England have inched ahead. They are probably vying for the 2nd spot in the world alongside the Aussies and SA but are a fair bit behind NZ. Is this a fair assessment?

wrfc1980

Posts : 440
Join date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down


England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by ebop on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:57 am

Rugby Fan wrote:
ebop wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:
ebop wrote:I just want £2 a pop so I can retire early
Then again, if you also lose £2 every time Steve Hansen mentions Eddie Jones or England, then that retirement date will push out quite a bit.

Really?

I've only seen him mention Jones once but I don't read every article. Maybe he was letting Jones know he won't be taking any crap from him like Cheika has.
There's currently no match scheduled between England and New Zealand, so he's got no reason to talk about Jones or England at all. The earliest a fixture could take place is November 2017.

Haha, I see what you did there Rugby Fan Wink

Yup, hopefully England can keep progressing up the curve like everyone is assuming and Jones hasn't been fired so we can look forward to that date. Until then, have a Ale on me every time Jones says we want to be the best or Ale Ale for an ABs.
ebop
ebop

Posts : 4973
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Biltong on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 11:02 am

Have anyone considered the fact that Eddie Jones is an Aussie, and they often use media to their advantage to intimidate or unnerve their opponents?
Biltong
Biltong
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 26945
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : Twilight zone

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by SecretFly on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 11:13 am

I always 100% understand that Eddie is Eddie because he is an Aussie. I don't think an Aussie can intimidate or unnerve - they're too loud and showy. Everyone knows it's a gig.

Australia are getting beaten because they're not good enough at the moment. Cheika is an Aussie too and he'll be firing chairs and making air vent holes in brick walls for weeks to come...using the heads of player that have displeased him.

He won't know it yet, but actually a strong England are doing him a service right now. He'll learn how to patch things up better.

SecretFly

Posts : 30882
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by rodders on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 11:17 am

Biltong wrote:Have anyone considered the fact that Eddie Jones is an Aussie, and they often use media to their advantage to intimidate or unnerve their opponents?

It had certainly crossed my mind... Smile
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25287
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Gooseberry on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 12:59 pm

Biltong wrote:Have anyone considered the fact that Eddie Jones is an Aussie, and they often use media to their advantage to intimidate or unnerve their opponents?

Its not just Aussies is it, Gatland is the master of the pre match WUM as well. And the New Zealand Herald...jesus.
Theres no secret that he partly got the job to try and bring some of that mentality to England and shoulder more of the media nonsense (and associated abuse back). Its not just about winding up the oppsoition but also sheilding his players.

Being an Aussie he can get away with being more prickly and agressively bombastic without quite the same level of hysteria coming back from Wales supporters and others.

Gooseberry

Posts : 5624
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Gooseberry on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 1:04 pm

fa0019 wrote:I reckon the true best teams would look something like this

10. WAL 1st
11. ENG 2nd

Point of order...england 2nds beat Wales first recently.

I guess under Biltongs model though that didnt happen 10 years ago so isnt relevant.

Gooseberry

Posts : 5624
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by mikey_dragon on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 1:16 pm

Gooseberry wrote:

Point of order...england 2nds beat Wales first recently.

They didn't, but England did beat Wales. Nice try though. Strange that even when England do well you still have this inferiority complex, I'd seek help if I were you.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 8984
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by mikey_dragon on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 1:18 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
Biltong wrote:Have anyone considered the fact that Eddie Jones is an Aussie, and they often use media to their advantage to intimidate or unnerve their opponents?

Its not just Aussies is it, Gatland is the master of the pre match WUM as well. And the New Zealand Herald...jesus.
Theres no secret that he partly got the job to try and bring some of that mentality to England and shoulder more of the media nonsense (and associated abuse back). Its not just about winding up the oppsoition but also sheilding his players.

Being an Aussie he can get away with being more prickly and agressively bombastic without quite the same level of hysteria coming back from Wales supporters and others.

What's also odd is that when Gatland was supposedly at it he was more hated than Hitler. When Eddie Jones does it he's the bees knees. Strange.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 8984
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by rodders on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 1:23 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:
Biltong wrote:Have anyone considered the fact that Eddie Jones is an Aussie, and they often use media to their advantage to intimidate or unnerve their opponents?

Its not just Aussies is it, Gatland is the master of the pre match WUM as well. And the New Zealand Herald...jesus.
Theres no secret that he partly got the job to try and bring some of that mentality to England and shoulder more of the media nonsense (and associated abuse back). Its not just about winding up the oppsoition but also sheilding his players.

Being an Aussie he can get away with being more prickly and agressively bombastic without quite the same level of hysteria coming back from Wales supporters and others.

What's also odd is that when Gatland was supposedly at it he was more hated than Hitler. When Eddie Jones does it he's the bees knees. Strange.

Hitler never dropped BOD in a Lions test.
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25287
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by SecretFly on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 1:29 pm

laughing

Gatland was box-office for many years.  But like all old movie stars, the middle aged spread appears, the hairline ain't what it used to be and lo and behold, the new much younger, sexier guy turns up with much more hair and takes over doing the one-liners to camera.

That's Eddie.  He's just the new kid on the bloc.

SecretFly

Posts : 30882
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 1:40 pm

rodders wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:
Biltong wrote:Have anyone considered the fact that Eddie Jones is an Aussie, and they often use media to their advantage to intimidate or unnerve their opponents?

Its not just Aussies is it, Gatland is the master of the pre match WUM as well. And the New Zealand Herald...jesus.
Theres no secret that he partly got the job to try and bring some of that mentality to England and shoulder more of the media nonsense (and associated abuse back). Its not just about winding up the oppsoition but also sheilding his players.

Being an Aussie he can get away with being more prickly and agressively bombastic without quite the same level of hysteria coming back from Wales supporters and others.

What's also odd is that when Gatland was supposedly at it he was more hated than Hitler. When Eddie Jones does it he's the bees knees. Strange.

Hitler never dropped BOD in a Lions test.

aaaaaaaaaaaand rodders wins the internet Laugh

notworthy notworthy notworthy notworthy

Mad for Chelsea

Posts : 12021
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by mikey_dragon on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 1:55 pm

Rodders, have a Guinness on me mate thumbsup.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 8984
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Tattie Scones RRN on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:17 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:

Point of order...england 2nds beat Wales first recently.

They didn't, but England did beat Wales. Nice try though. Strange that even when England do well you still have this inferiority complex, I'd seek help if I were you.

So Japan beat Wales then.

Tattie Scones RRN

Posts : 1734
Join date : 2011-05-24
Age : 43
Location : Scottish Rugby Purgatory

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by BamBam on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:18 pm

Laugh Rodders

BamBam

Posts : 15755
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by doctor_grey on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:23 pm

SecretFly wrote:laughing

Gatland was box-office for many years.  But like all old movie stars, the middle aged spread appears, the hairline ain't what it used to be and lo and behold, the new much younger, sexier guy turns up with much more hair and takes over doing the one-liners to camera.

That's Eddie.  He's just the new kid on the bloc.
This is a sexy guy with hair??????????
England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 I?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F1120%2Fr28488_1296x729_16%2D9

doctor_grey

Posts : 8157
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by rodders on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:24 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Rodders, have a Guinness on me mate thumbsup.


And one for Gats Smile guinness
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25287
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by mikey_dragon on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:34 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:

Point of order...england 2nds beat Wales first recently.

They didn't, but England did beat Wales. Nice try though. Strange that even when England do well you still have this inferiority complex, I'd seek help if I were you.

So Japan beat Wales then.

It's what the history books say. Wales and England were both missing 6-8 players in the recent game. Wales were missing over 20 players for their game against Japan, two semi-pro players also played. It's not difficult to understand.

PS - are Scotland still the only ones in world rugby bragging about beating Japan?

mikey_dragon

Posts : 8984
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by SecretFly on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:35 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
SecretFly wrote:laughing

Gatland was box-office for many years.  But like all old movie stars, the middle aged spread appears, the hairline ain't what it used to be and lo and behold, the new much younger, sexier guy turns up with much more hair and takes over doing the one-liners to camera.

That's Eddie.  He's just the new kid on the bloc.
This is a sexy guy with hair??????????
England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 I?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F1120%2Fr28488_1296x729_16%2D9

So I'm prone to a little exaggeration.... and this is news??? Whistle Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 30882
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by SecretFly on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:36 pm

PS still cute though...with that Long John Silver eye of his....

SecretFly

Posts : 30882
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by SecretFly on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:38 pm

Eddie after a few English losses:

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Tumblr_mw2ppot07t1t13itio1_1280

SecretFly

Posts : 30882
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by SecretFly on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:39 pm

Lancaster on his shoulder whispering "I told you so"

SecretFly

Posts : 30882
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Gooseberry on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:43 pm

rodders wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:
Biltong wrote:Have anyone considered the fact that Eddie Jones is an Aussie, and they often use media to their advantage to intimidate or unnerve their opponents?

Its not just Aussies is it, Gatland is the master of the pre match WUM as well. And the New Zealand Herald...jesus.
Theres no secret that he partly got the job to try and bring some of that mentality to England and shoulder more of the media nonsense (and associated abuse back). Its not just about winding up the oppsoition but also sheilding his players.

Being an Aussie he can get away with being more prickly and agressively bombastic without quite the same level of hysteria coming back from Wales supporters and others.

What's also odd is that when Gatland was supposedly at it he was more hated than Hitler. When Eddie Jones does it he's the bees knees. Strange.

Hitler never dropped BOD in a Lions test.

Biltong would no doubt argue that Hitler was on the best side in WW2, Germany hadnt been beaten for the 21 years prior to it. It was only the racial quotas that held him back.

Gooseberry

Posts : 5624
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by SecretFly on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:46 pm

Wasn't Hitler attempting the very first stab at an EU?

There's gratitude for you.

SecretFly

Posts : 30882
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by rodders on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:48 pm

SecretFly wrote:Wasn't Hitler attempting the very first stab at an EU?

Wasn't that Alexander the great?
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25287
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by SecretFly on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:52 pm

rodders wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Wasn't Hitler attempting the very first stab at an EU?

Wasn't that Alexander the great?

No.
Alex was the lad that was 5 feet nothing. Get your facts right, rodders.

SecretFly

Posts : 30882
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by fa0019 on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 2:57 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
rodders wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:
Biltong wrote:Have anyone considered the fact that Eddie Jones is an Aussie, and they often use media to their advantage to intimidate or unnerve their opponents?

Its not just Aussies is it, Gatland is the master of the pre match WUM as well. And the New Zealand Herald...jesus.
Theres no secret that he partly got the job to try and bring some of that mentality to England and shoulder more of the media nonsense (and associated abuse back). Its not just about winding up the oppsoition but also sheilding his players.

Being an Aussie he can get away with being more prickly and agressively bombastic without quite the same level of hysteria coming back from Wales supporters and others.

What's also odd is that when Gatland was supposedly at it he was more hated than Hitler. When Eddie Jones does it he's the bees knees. Strange.

Hitler never dropped BOD in a Lions test.

Biltong would no doubt argue that Hitler was on the best side in WW2, Germany hadnt been beaten for the 21 years prior to it. It was only the racial quotas that held him back.

I'm sure if England were in the reverse position where you hadn't lost to South Africa in a decade and had not lost in the last 12 match-ups you would probably hold the same position where one would question SA's  perceived "dominance" over England.

fa0019

Posts : 8196
Join date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Gooseberry on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 3:05 pm

SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Wasn't Hitler attempting the very first stab at an EU?

Wasn't that Alexander the great?

No.
Alex was the lad that was 5 feet nothing.  Get your facts right, rodders.

Napoleon, but we know how much the French care about internationals now.

Gooseberry

Posts : 5624
Join date : 2015-02-11

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by doctor_grey on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 3:08 pm

SecretFly wrote:PS still cute though...with that Long John Silver eye of his....
Cute like an Iguana?
SecretFly wrote:Eddie after a few English losses:
England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Tumblr_mw2ppot07t1t13itio1_1280
This is truly funny. We could go off with pics like this all day. Unfortunately, I have a patient later this morn who has a coccyx fracture. I have to scope his......well, you know. If I see anything interesting I will be sure to let you know............

doctor_grey

Posts : 8157
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Heaf on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 3:09 pm

ebop wrote:
Heaf wrote:Having the ambition to be the best in the world when everyone knows only the ABs have that right - sacrilege Shocked

Never heard SA and Australia mince it up and they've had more right to make such claims.
he's not made any claims - he's stated an ambition - completely different thing ...

Heaf

Posts : 3163
Join date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by funnyExiledScot on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 3:24 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
kingraf wrote:...Australia are famously dodgy after a World cup...
How do you make that out?

They followed up the 1991 win with a Bledisloe 2-1 victory and an away win against the Boks

After they won in 1999, they defended the Bledisloe again, and won a Lions series.


You can prove anything with facts.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15866
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 38
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by fa0019 on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 3:48 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:
kingraf wrote:...Australia are famously dodgy after a World cup...
How do you make that out?

They followed up the 1991 win with a Bledisloe 2-1 victory and an away win against the Boks

After they won in 1999, they defended the Bledisloe again, and won a Lions series.


You can prove anything with facts.

Thought it would be interesting to look the following year for AUS post world cups...

87 4th - Lost a 2 match away series to Argentina straight after 0-1. Holds.
91 1st - Beat SCO 2-0 in 2 match series at home and the 92 home NZ tour 2-1. Doesn't hold.
95 QFs - Loses BL cup to NZ 0-2. Draws 1-1 in new 3N tournament with world champs SA & loses 0-2 to NZ. Doesn't really hold.
99 1st - Beats SA 3-0 next season, draws with NZ 1-1. Doesn't hold.
03 2nd - Beats world champs 51-15 only 7 months later. Draws 1-1 with both NZ & SA in 3N tournament. Doesn't hold.
07 QFs - Beats 6N GS champs FRA 2-0 at home, Beats SA 2-1 in 3N. Loses to NZ 1-3 in 3N & BL. Doesn't hold.
11 3rd - Loses to SCO at home, beats 6N GS champs 3-0. Draws 1-1 with SA, Beats ARG 2-0, loses 0-2 to NZ. Doesn't really hold.
15 2nd - Lost home series to England, season yet to conclude

Overall I would say it doesn't hold. The Newcastle ambush in 2012 was a crazy game, crazy weather and to be fair AUS didn't take SCO seriously playing many reserves in weather Scotland is more used to.

fa0019

Posts : 8196
Join date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Biltong on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:39 pm

Gooseberry wrote:
fa0019 wrote:I reckon the true best teams would look something like this

10. WAL 1st
11. ENG 2nd

Point of order...england 2nds beat Wales first recently.

I guess under Biltongs model though that didnt happen 10 years ago so isnt relevant.

OK, what is eating at you, I can see you are itching for a scratch.
Biltong
Biltong
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 26945
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : Twilight zone

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Rugby Fan on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 5:08 pm

I'd probably take a win over South Africa ahead of NZ to get the monkey off our backs.

Funny thing is, our long losing streak (with one draw) was preceded by a seven match victorious record over the Boks, which is still our longest winning streak over any Southern Hemisphere opposition, including Argentina, Samoa, Fiji and Tonga.

Samoa is actually equal at seven wins. We've only ever faced them seven times.

Rugby Fan

Posts : 5806
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by ianto on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 5:12 pm

Should the title not be England 2nd's best team in the world? Whistle

ianto

Posts : 5
Join date : 2011-10-08

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by aucklandlaurie on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 5:48 pm


" the clowns on Saturday were the Wallabies, their endless routine of dropped balls and pratfalls handing England the victory and the series.

Ringmaster Jones steps up and instantly sought comparisons with the All Blacks, lit the flaming hoop, and sure enough the Lions roared into the tent.

'Oh no" said Eddie, " I could never coach the Lions".

Something I borrowed off Sumo.

aucklandlaurie

Posts : 7525
Join date : 2011-06-27
Age : 63
Location : Auckland

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by SimonofSurrey on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 7:52 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
" the clowns on Saturday were the Wallabies, their endless routine of dropped balls and pratfalls handing England the victory and the series.

Ringmaster Jones steps up and instantly sought comparisons with the All Blacks, lit the flaming hoop, and sure enough the Lions roared into the tent.

'Oh no" said Eddie, " I could never coach the Lions".

Something I borrowed off Sumo.

Wrong aucklandlaurie

Ringmaster Jones instantly stated his intention to get England to challenge the All Blacks, pointing out some of the areas where England would have to improve to get near that aspiration. Hardly 'seeking comparisons' as in saying we're as good as them. Of course England aren't. But I think we're allowed to aspire to be.

SimonofSurrey

Posts : 909
Join date : 2011-05-07
Location : TW2

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by ebop on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:25 pm

SecretFly wrote:Eddie after a few English losses:

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Tumblr_mw2ppot07t1t13itio1_1280


laughing

Nailed it
ebop
ebop

Posts : 4973
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by ebop on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:47 pm

SimonofSurrey wrote:pointing out some of the areas where England would have to improve to get near that aspiration

Wonder what areas?

Let's get a list going, I'll start

- An even better rolling maul to score tries

- More scrum penalties for Farrell to kick in 3s

- Better fitness so as to attack as well as defend

- Slowing the ball down even more effectively

- Improve basic handling skills in backs
ebop
ebop

Posts : 4973
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by No 7&1/2 on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:50 pm

England must be getting good again.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 18865
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by stub on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:57 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:England must be getting good again.

Sounds like some people fear that's the case.

Lots of interest. Very Happy

stub

Posts : 2131
Join date : 2013-01-31

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by emack2 on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:33 pm

England are number 2 on merit under EJ they`ve a 100 percent record,with
basicly SL`s squad.
He`s improved there fitness and co-opted part time coaches to improve
there skill set,and uses his subs well.
Australia without some 10 world class players injured or abroad look inept
poor handling,poor decision making,poor setpiece.
Last Saturdays pitch was a disgrace,but in both matches the scrum has
been a farce.In the the first game not a single one was the ball hooked
at least in the the second test they tried too.
The Front row mafia trying to con the Ref,BOTH sides .
Englands defence in the second test was magnificent,but they created
next to nothing attack wise.
Australia with a dodgy lineout how can you not at least attempt to kick
goals.
13-6 and 3 kickable penalties not attempted Foley must have had night
mares after his first test display.
But the oz SH was dreadful slow and inaccurate,bashing up the middle
when it needed to go wide.
England v NZ in England tomorrow a very real chance of a win,in Nz
probably not.
NZ currently are a long way from the RWC side,but by 2017 when England
meet them.The NZ side will have gelled and will be as hard to beat as ever.

emack2

Posts : 3686
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 76
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Poorfour on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:51 pm

Probably a fair assessment emack, but the attack is the slowest thing for a coach to develop and England are just starting on their journey.

NZ have the advantage of settled coaching team and tactics, but need to develop a raft of less experienced players.

England have a new coach and tactics but - courtesy of Lancaster - more established playing personnel (though with some exciting options in the pipeline. Underhill in particular looks like the real deal).

This team are by a clear and unarguable margin the best England team we have ever seen at this stage of the RWC cycle. Even the 2003 squad took until 2001 to hit their stride.

By 2017, both teams will have improved. The really intriguing question is whether England will have improved to finally match their potential.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Posts : 4227
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Hood83 on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:54 pm

ebop wrote:
SimonofSurrey wrote:pointing out some of the areas where England would have to improve to get near that aspiration

Wonder what areas?

Let's get a list going, I'll start

- An even better rolling maul to score tries

- More scrum penalties for Farrell to kick in 3s

- Better fitness so as to attack as well as defend

- Slowing the ball down even more effectively

- Improve basic handling skills in backs

Meow! Christ is this the famed Kiwi humility again Wink

I can't work out if all this pique is a result of England being England, England being coached by an Aussie, or the result of some sort of Southern Hemisphere bat signal that knee-jerks in to action the rare occasions we win something.

Calm down everyone, no-one thinks we're anywhere near the precious and invincible, and yet extremely humble, ABs.


Hood83

Posts : 2745
Join date : 2011-06-12

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by ebop on Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:21 am

Sorry guys, I'll stop now Smile

Yes England seem to be good again

It's a good thing right, bit of back n forth?

To be fair hood83, it's just 'me' stirring. I'm flying solo. No need to make sweeping generalisations about the SH and kiwis.
ebop
ebop

Posts : 4973
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Hood83 on Wed 22 Jun 2016, 7:36 am

ebop wrote:Sorry guys, I'll stop now Smile

Yes England seem to be good again

It's a good thing right, bit of back n forth?

To be fair hood83, it's just 'me' stirring. I'm flying solo. No need to make sweeping generalisations about the SH and kiwis.

Haha, no it's cool mate.

Ah I was just kidding, thought I saw a few other SH posters join in but it's fair game either way, sorry for the blanket dig, it was said in friendship but reading it back it sounds a bit nasty. I should have added more winks. Always need the winks.

Hood83

Posts : 2745
Join date : 2011-06-12

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by ebop on Wed 22 Jun 2016, 7:47 am

Sweet, good man hood83

Like I say, I'm just stirring to generate a bit of heat, get the rivalry going. Can't have us on the same page, just wouldn't work Smile
ebop
ebop

Posts : 4973
Join date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Hood83 on Wed 22 Jun 2016, 8:25 am

ebop wrote:Sweet, good man hood83

Like I say, I'm just stirring to generate a bit of heat, get the rivalry going. Can't have us on the same page, just wouldn't work Smile

thumbsup

Hood83

Posts : 2745
Join date : 2011-06-12

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by nganboy on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 1:10 pm

Poorfour wrote:Probably a fair assessment emack, but the attack is the slowest thing for a coach to develop and England are just starting on their journey.

NZ have the advantage of settled coaching team and tactics, but need to develop a raft of less experienced players.

England have a new coach and tactics but - courtesy of Lancaster - more established playing personnel (though with some exciting options in the pipeline. Underhill in particular looks like the real deal).

This team are by a clear and unarguable margin the best England team we have ever seen at this stage of the RWC cycle. Even the 2003 squad took until 2001 to hit their stride.

By 2017, both teams will have improved. The really intriguing question is whether England will have improved to finally match their potential.

I'm not that up to date with all the English team but does NZ really have a raft of less experienced players to develop compared to England?
Our tight 5 of Moody, Coles, Franks, Whitelock, Rettalick is experienced including some of the reserves (Crockett, Faumuina, Romano) and our loose forwards are fairly experienced Kaino, Cane, Read (but the reserves are new Savea, Dixon, Squire). Our backs of A Smith, Cruden have been around awhile as have B Smith and Savea. Reserves Kerr Barlow, Perenara, Barrett and Dagg have all been there before. So really its one winger, a 2nd five and a centre and some of reserves. Hell there's a lot of World Cups in that team. That's not to say its all hunky dory (so far mostly the ABs have looked pretty poor) but do England really have a more established team?

I'd say what England have is a breath of fresh air which has invigorated the team.
nganboy
nganboy

Posts : 1868
Join date : 2011-05-11
Age : 50
Location : New Zealand

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Poorfour on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 2:52 pm

nganboy. I suppose by most standards NZ have an experienced base to build on, but any team would find it hard to cope with the loss of McCaw, Carter, Nonu, Smith and Mealamu - they had more caps between them than many international XVs.

Clearly the replacements are talented and few of them are completely new, but having to replace that much experience will inevitably have a big impact on the team. It's also the challenge of replacing them all at once rather than being able to bring through players one or two at a time.

As you say, NZ have looked a bit off their game in the last two weeks - but I would argue that a lot of that is down to having a number of new combinations to settle in. It will be interesting to see how things improve during the RC.

My point is just that in comparison, England have actually got a very settled squad. We've had some positional switches (Haskell, Robshaw and Farrell - though even there, all of them have experience of playing in those positions), and some new players have made their way into the replacements (George, Hill, Clifford, Daly), but the only change in the starting XV is Itoje, who already looks like he has been there forever.

Eddie has definitely made a difference by focusing the players very clearly on what he wants from them, but he has not had to start with a squad who can barely scrape together 200 caps between them as Lancaster did. That makes a big difference.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Posts : 4227
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

England 2nd best team in the world? - Page 5 Empty Re: England 2nd best team in the world?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum