The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Sri Lanka - the one day and t20 stuff

+12
jimbohammers
VTR
Corporalhumblebucket
Duty281
alfie
LondonTiger
JDizzle
James100
Gooseberry
guildfordbat
Mad for Chelsea
Good Golly I'm Olly
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

England vs Sri Lanka - the one day and t20 stuff - Page 3 Empty England vs Sri Lanka - the one day and t20 stuff

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 21 Jun 2016, 1:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

First ODI at Trent bridge today, England currently leading the series 10-2...Whistle

Team is Hales, Roy, Root, Morgan, Bairstow, Buttler, Ali, Woakes, Rashid, Willey, Plunkett

The batting is incredible, can't help feel were a bowler short tho
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England vs Sri Lanka - the one day and t20 stuff - Page 3 Empty Re: England vs Sri Lanka - the one day and t20 stuff

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 29 Jun 2016, 9:48 pm

Love that this England side can just casually chase 300+ off 42 overs missing one of the openers

Get Stokes in for Bairstow (otherwise the bowling is a tad weak imo) and we have a quality quality outfit
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England vs Sri Lanka - the one day and t20 stuff - Page 3 Empty Re: England vs Sri Lanka - the one day and t20 stuff

Post by guildfordbat Wed 29 Jun 2016, 11:29 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Seems unlikely there will be a result in the match today - rain on and off expected.

Corporal - seems like you're still expecting the worst in everything after last Thursday! Wink

Privileged to be at the Oval today. The best and easily most mature innings I have ever seen from Roy king . Judgment, strokeplay, power and running. All of a very high quality. clap

Great credit (again) to the ground staff and the drainage system. Only 16 overs lost to the weather whilst not a ball was bowled at Lord's for Middlesex's Championship match. Shocked

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 29 Jun 2016, 11:40 pm

Hi Guildford - cracking performance by Jason Roy king king and the groundsmen! Yes they did remarkably well to get 80 overs play - it was a very dismal sort of afternoon down our way, with rain on and off.  I see, too, that not a lot of play was possible in the Surrey second XI game at Cheam.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 30 Jun 2016, 8:13 am

Surprised not to see more of the Surrey mafia over here celebrating that innings from Roy!

That was a masterclass in controlled aggression. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Test team sooner rather than later. Seems to have the character for international cricket and one of those players that seems to do better at international than domestic level. The selectors must surely be thinking along those lines

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 30 Jun 2016, 8:45 am

Roy.

Just Roy. Well thats the hype lived up to.

It does seem now that its doesnt matter how many runs you ship if you have the depth quality and confidence in your batting it can be chased down. Doing that without Hales and with both Morgan and Ali in rank for is certainly a thing evenfor the all new fearless England.

Hales, Roy, Root and Buttler are pretty much established as genuine class limited overs batsmen now. Bairstow well on the way there, and guys who bat well down to 11 (most of them top 6 at county level). It must be pretty intimidating for any bowling attack to face them. Pakistan may be a different prospect with seamers better able to take advantage of the conditions and less relaince on bits and pieces fill ins but they didnt have great issues with NZ or Aus last summer, and the line up looks stronger now.

The bowling ...less so. With Stokes back the balance can be bought back at least. Biut they will still be a strike bowler short of perfection. Broad seems to be out of the picture, and Finns not been able to consitently find form. Maybe Mills will make a mark in T20 and eventually step up, but I suspect they are a way off finding a real wicket taker. Broad has expressed an interest in returning, I doubt they will bother though.
Bairstow has his place so as harsh as it would be thats the easy swap. If it werent for the cpataincy though Morgan surely would be the one to go, as long as the side keeps winning they will keep carrying him and hoping he finds form again like he did breifly last year.
The other problem is Ali who seems to be getting worse rather than better. Neither his batting or bowling has been much value in any foirmat for some time now. Theres the option of changing the balance and bringing Jordan back for him. At least Rashid is starting to look like he belongs in international games, but ideally..and with an eye on the winter tours..England would have two spinners, and a 5th seamer is perhaps overkill if Stokes is back. Maybe Mallan can stake a claim long term as a potential 6th bowler, but he really is only an occassional bowler currently. Ansari has the potential to fill that role as well (perhaps better potential with the ball), and Borthwick is still alive apparently. In the absence of proper out and out class spinners (even Tredwell would look quality right now) its likely those are the sort of players we will see for the winter, destructive batsmen who can bowl some spin. Ideally Ali will find his feet again and get back to taking wickets and scoring runs, but I find it increasingly hard to make a case for him keeping a place in the side on merit.

Cant help feeling though that these days it doesnt matter whos bowling if batsmen like Roy get going, and Englands tactic of stacking the batting and going for it can cover the cracks in most games so long as they have that core of class.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 30 Jun 2016, 9:15 am

Agree that Moeen seems to be regressing, but its a bit unfair to say his batting hasn't had much value in any format when in the Test before the last one he scored 155*! Also in that Test series he had very little opportunity to do anything with the ball on pitches that offered him no real help. I do have concerns though that he is turning into a pretty rubbish Test spinner

Stokes coming back would be a good move, but it's about time he found more consistency with the bat in the short formats. His record is absolutely abysmal in that department and makes Moeen look like Viv Richards

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 30 Jun 2016, 9:55 am

I haven't watched.....only followed score-cards....
but Wow...England has tremendously improved in limited overs......and the best all format side currently in view.

Roy should be brought into tests....in the top-3...he could be the Sehwag for England
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 30 Jun 2016, 10:23 am

Imagine if Root could nail down the 3 spot in tests we could go with a team like this

Cook Hales Root Bairstow Roy/Vince Stokes Buttler (k) Moeen Woakes Broad Anderson

Incredible scenes
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 30 Jun 2016, 2:02 pm

Sorry I missed that Roy innings !

Watched a bit of Sri Lanka batting ; noted the weather - and retired for the night certain of missing nothing... Quite a shock to see that a virtually full game was played .

Roy clearly in terrific form ...not yet sure as to his Test credentials ; he looks a bit loose to me but who knows ? A good eye and lots of shots might take him a long way ; though I suspect he won't be getting a spot just yet : there are some ahead of him I think.
Why do you see him as a five , Olly ? If he could make the move up to the five day game , would it not make more sense to have him bat at three and keep Root where he is happy ? Incidentally your lineup certainly looks like an excitement machine ; but four to seven might be a little too universally aggressive sometimes...

England ODI looking good. But I am not getting too carried away yet : Sri Lanka is undermanned at present ; and England has recorded good results early in a World Cup cycle before now , only to fall away when the serious business come around. The good thing is this squad , Morgan aside , is all pretty young and new ; and hopefully will - ought to - get better.

Pity no-one is watching much at present - all too busy slashing wrists over football or recovering from shooting themselves in the metaphorical foot in referenda I suppose Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu 30 Jun 2016, 2:14 pm

Cricket will struggle to get a look in this summer. Euros complete with dismal failure and weeks of fallout and speculation over the new manager. Brexit fallout/new PM speculation. Wimbledon has started. Olympics start soon.

We need Pakistan to bring their A game of controversy in order to steal some column inches!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 30 Jun 2016, 2:18 pm

alfie wrote:Sorry I missed that Roy innings !  

Watched a bit of Sri Lanka batting  ; noted the weather - and retired for the night certain of missing nothing... Quite a shock to see that a virtually full game was played .

Roy clearly in terrific form ...not yet sure as to his Test credentials ; he looks a bit loose to me but who knows ?  A good eye and lots of shots might take him a long way ;  though I suspect he won't be getting a spot just yet : there are some ahead of him I think.  

Alfie - I would very much agree with that note of caution.  Certainly Roy is very commendably making the most of his current superb form. It's worth noting that at times he has also had some prolonged patches of poor or indifferent form for Surrey, probably stemming from somewhat loose technique and/or lapses in concentration. This is also reflected in his first class batting average, which is a less than stellar 36.31. Against a high quality test attack on a pitch giving the bowler a bit of help we might well see him struggle.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Fri 01 Jul 2016, 10:57 am

alfie wrote:Sorry I missed that Roy innings !  

Watched a bit of Sri Lanka batting  ; noted the weather - and retired for the night certain of missing nothing... Quite a shock to see that a virtually full game was played .

Roy clearly in terrific form ...not yet sure as to his Test credentials ; he looks a bit loose to me but who knows ?  A good eye and lots of shots might take him a long way ;  though I suspect he won't be getting a spot just yet : there are some ahead of him I think.  
Why do you see him as a five , Olly ?  If he could make the move up to the five day game , would it not make more sense to have him bat at three and keep Root where he is happy ? Incidentally your lineup certainly looks like an excitement machine ; but four to seven might be a little too universally aggressive sometimes...

England ODI looking good.  But I am not getting too carried away yet :  Sri Lanka is undermanned at present ; and England has recorded good results early in a World Cup cycle before now , only to fall away when the serious business come around.  The good thing is this squad , Morgan aside , is all pretty young and new ; and hopefully will - ought to -  get better.

Pity no-one is watching much at present - all too busy slashing wrists over football or recovering from shooting themselves in the metaphorical foot in referenda I suppose Smile

You hear the squad is young and new but 8 of the players played in the 2015 World Cup.

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sat 02 Jul 2016, 9:40 am

saw Wales beat Belgium last night
and wondered is Wales a country ? or a region ?
why don't they play cricket as a country?

is there cricket played in wales at all?

I know its a digression....but thought someone here might answer?
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 02 Jul 2016, 9:57 am

KP_fan wrote:saw Wales beat Belgium last night
and wondered is Wales a country ? or a region ?
why don't they play cricket as a country?

is there cricket played in wales at all?

I know its a digression....but thought someone here might answer?

Wales is a country - they have a county side Glamorgan who play in the county championship. It's the England and Wales cricket board - so they play cricket as part of the ECB

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 02 Jul 2016, 10:07 am

Wales is not, and never has been, a country. It became part of England* in the mid-16th century under the reign of King Henry VIII.

*England used to be a country, but it merged with Scotland in 1707 to become the United Kingdom.

We should compete under the United Kingdom banner in all sports, but choose not to for provincial reasons.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 02 Jul 2016, 10:12 am

See duty knows history and I don't Laugh

Anyways into the cricket - Vince for Hales and Jordan for Moeen and Sri Lanka are bowling first
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jul 2016, 1:37 pm

Only looking at this on and off ( we have an election on down here and I'm following the - quite close- count) ...but it looks as though England are going to post well over 300 given the platform they have and the batsmen in and to follow...

Sri Lanka not having a happy tour and it doesn't look like changing today.

Did think Vince was good early on , though he rather threw it away in the end. And anyone worried about Joe Root's form should relax Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 02 Jul 2016, 4:46 pm

Back from an excursion to Normandy watching Cavendish take Yellow...

And see England demolishing Sri Lanka rather clinically : lovely yorker from Plunkett followed by a nice bit of bowling from Rashid and half the order has gone still 200 adrift...this is in the bag , predictably enough.

Wonder if Sri Lanka will be competitive in the t20 ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 02 Jul 2016, 7:31 pm

Well that was easy Very Happy

Good knock from Root, who stuck in there despite not quite being at his best, on a tricky pitch to time the ball. Buttler then showed his class to inject some late impetus, and decent cameos from Woakes and Plunkett to reach a score that felt well above par. Vince looked assured, but will be disappointed not to have fully cashed in.

SL never looked like getting close. Started with a silly review by Perrera, then a not particularly smart second run to the quickest fielder in the England side (Bairstow). Chandimal played nicely, but the rest fell away to good bowling from Rashid and Plunkett, with Willey cleaning up the tail. Clinical from England.

Looking back at the series, England can on the whole be very pleased with their work. Roy was superb. Hales scored a fine century and Vince did well as his replacement. Root found some form in the last couple of games. Morgan will be annoyed he didn't cash in on any of his three starts. Bairstow had limited opportunities, but perhaps didn't make the most of them, fielding superb though. Buttler was terrific when required. Moeen perhaps the only real black spot, didn't contribute with bat or ball, and England need more from him. Ansari might get a chance sooner rather than later. Woakes produced well with the bat and was consistent with the ball. Willey provided wickets with the new ball and did pretty well at the death. Rashid was mostly excellent throughout. Plunkett's wicket taking abilities balances the attack nicely. Jordan didn't do much in his two games.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:15 pm

Been travelling most of the day. Didn't even make it to the Guildford Festival so no surprise today's ODI rather passed me by! Wink

Just to slightly add to one of MfC's comments (which all seem on the mark) concerning Bairstow and what I saw of him in Wednesday's ODI at the Oval. His fielding really was terrific. A great run out from close to the wicket to start things off and later on several boundary stops at full pelt. His athleticism came even more to fore when he was batting with Roy. Singles seemed to be regularly turned into twos as Bairstow often ran to the danger end and spurred his partner on. He was obviously and rightly overshadowed by Roy but he played a useful support role. As you know I always like that. Very Happy All in all, I was quite impressed and taken by him.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 02 Jul 2016, 10:01 pm

On Bairstow. He's FAST! As guildford says, his running between the wickets is impressive, and his ability to turn ones into twos in the previous ODI when batting with Roy made things very comfortable for England. Speaking of which, I was impressed with Roy's fitness, still scampering the twos with Bairstow right to the end. There were times in the Test series where Bairstow was beating the slips to chase balls down towards the third man boundary, with the wicket keeping pads on! Can't help but feel he's being rather wasted as a rather mediocre keeper.

Speaking of keeping, Buttler's been nice and secure behind the stumps in this series. Decent stumping today (albeit one of the easier ones) and don't think he's missed anything (though, one good take off a skier aside, not sure he's had anything difficult to do either). I think it's one of guildford's sayings that a good keeper should be largely unnoticed, and that's certainly been the case for Buttler in this series IMO (Jack Russell being the obvious counter-example to the above Wink).

I've made some posts before on how highly I rate Buttler's keeping to pace bowlers, and I was left rather unimpressed by Bairstow in the SL tests (after seeing some good signs as the SA series went on). Hence I am tempted by the idea of bringing Buttler back into the Test side.

Another option could be Foakes of course, who the Surrey contingent are rather keen on. Have seen little of him myself - youtube highlights of Surrey's win the other day, though was more interested in Ansari's bowling, which impressed me - so don't feel qualified to comment.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 05 Jul 2016, 6:25 pm

Plz can we fast forward to 8:15ish when Jos buttler is opening the batting - oh my
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by spudungeyee Tue 05 Jul 2016, 6:35 pm

Interesting changes to the t20 team tonight. Do players really need such a big break? Not sure playing 3 hours of cricket tonight will really affect England players that much

spudungeyee

https://www.sbat.com/tips/todays-free-horse-racing-tips

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 05 Jul 2016, 6:48 pm

There doesn't seem much (any?) spare capacity for England's bowling in tonight's team.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 05 Jul 2016, 7:16 pm

Without Stokes the balance does look weighted towards the batting but the bowlers are doing ok so far - Dawson in particular!

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 05 Jul 2016, 7:18 pm

Sri Lanka have tried their best to run themselves out all innings and Shanka manages it 1st ball
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 05 Jul 2016, 7:22 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Without Stokes the balance does look weighted towards the batting but the bowlers are doing ok so far - Dawson in particular!

Yes, I'm unconvinced by Billings but a dream start for Dawson! Jimbo will be Very Happy .

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Tue 05 Jul 2016, 11:43 pm

And as with so much of this tour, a comfortable win for England. SL lack the bowling penetration and currently don't have enough quality in their batting (at least in English conditions) to make scoreboard pressure count. Probably 40 runs below par tonight, which pretty much sums up their ODI performances.

Good news?
Well, Chandimal looks like he'll become a fine player, and the others did improve through the Test series. All the young guys have gained important experience.
Still look short of a couple of top quality bowlers though. OK, you can't expect another Murali, but they've no-one as good as Vaas or Malinga.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 06 Jul 2016, 12:02 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Without Stokes the balance does look weighted towards the batting but the bowlers are doing ok so far - Dawson in particular!

Yes, I'm unconvinced by Billings but a dream start for Dawson! Jimbo will be Very Happy .

You're right there, Guildford Very Happy pleased to see Dawson get his debut. He's someone who fits into this new England set up. Proper all round cricketer .

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 06 Jul 2016, 1:23 am

Didn't see (horrible time) but not surprised England won easily even with experimental team (nothing wrong with that ! They need to develop options with all the cricket ahead)  Concludes a totally successful run for the home team in the first of the summer series  clap

My only concern is with the quality of the opposition .  Partly through having lost some stars , partly through being poorly suited to early summer English conditions - and not helped by rotten luck with injuries ; Sri Lanka have not been at the races.  The Pakistan series ought to be quite a contrast , and I hope we haven't been lulled into overconfidence by "easy" runs and wickets for all...more to the point , I hope the team is keeping its feet on the ground.
Imagine Bayliss will make sure they do.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 06 Jul 2016, 9:46 am

England seem to have an infinite pool of players at the moment..its no wonder the coaches are the ones talking burnot

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 06 Jul 2016, 12:04 pm

Alfie

Agree that Pakistan should be a tougher proposition. Apart from anything else, they've been over here a while getting used to the conditions, which I understand SL didn't really do (even though offered a couple of extra early season tour games by the ECB).

Still, you can only beat what's in front of you, and England have done that proficiently for almost all the tour. Interesting that they've done this with relatively few runs from Root or Cook and with Stokes out injured. OK, so Jimmy really came to the party in the Tests, but it's mainly been runs from Hales, Bairstow, Roy and Buttler and the emergence of Woakes as a decent all rounder that have let us win handily. Oh, and Rashid has done a pretty good job in the ODIs, especially considering that even if SL lack experience in English seaming conditions, they should still know how to play a spinner. The question of course is whether they can have the same impact against a stronger Pakistan side.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3