The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The next England manager

+18
SirJohnnyEnglish
Fernando
Ent
Knowsit17
dummy_half
westisbest
Holymiky
NickisBHAFC
Mochyn du
Stella
GSC
Hammersmith harrier
compelling and rich
Crimey
MIG
Nico the gman
Duty281
Dolphin Ziggler
22 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The next England manager  Empty The next England manager

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:11 pm

As of this moment Gareth Southgate, heavy favourite since Woy wesigned, has declared himself not interested in succeeding Hodgson on a permanent nor interim basis.

So, who is the next England manager? Can we really get by with an interim job and hope Wenger will take it in a year? That would actually be better than pretty much anything I can think of, but is dreamland levels of unlikely.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

The next England manager  Empty Re: The next England manager

Post by Duty281 Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:21 pm

Hurrah! Yahoo

Oh wait, there are no better options. Let's see:

Hoddle - For me, Clive, it's a no. He has been out of the managerial game for ten years.
Klinsmann - Well, an Aussie coaches the England cricket and rugby teams, so why not a German in this sense?
Allardyce - Um...just no.
Eddie Howe - Too inexperienced.
Wenger - Why would he inflict this on himself?
Shearer - Good god, no.
Pardew - Too controversial, though I quite like him.
Neville - An arrogant failure at Valencia. Probably wants to keep his head down.
Hiddink - Perhaps he wants to retire? But not before one last job.
Redknapp - NOOOOOO!
Bilic - Surely not. He's a talented manager.

Just give it back to Sven. One last shot, your Swedeness, and then the knighthood is all yours.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:24 pm

I'm not a fan of Wenger, his best days are well & truly behind him. If he can't solve the blindingly obvious issues, that have been evident at Arsenal for the last decade, I can't see him solving England's problems. Spits the dummy out too much for my liking too & you can't really rely upon him committing to England in a year's time.

Rather go with someone like, Frank De Boer - A good coach, clued up to the modern game & tactical side of the game + good record with Ajax in winning trophies & developing the youth, which is essential, given the rise of Rashford, Stones, Alli & Barkley types.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:30 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:As of this moment Gareth Southgate, heavy favourite since Woy wesigned, has declared himself not interested in succeeding Hodgson on a permanent nor interim basis.

So, who is the next England manager? Can we really get by with an interim job and hope Wenger will take it in a year? That would actually be better than pretty much anything I can think of, but is dreamland levels of unlikely.
No Southgate thank god for that, looks like we're going to have to go foreign, don't think there's an English manager who fits the bill, Eddie Howe's about 4 year away from it.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:34 pm

Arsene Wenger, Frank De Boer, Roberto Martinez, Jurgen Klinsmann, Laurent Blanc, Guus Hiddink, Manuel Pellegrini or even Lars Largerback (think he's retiring, but he clearly knows our weaknesses, seeing as he's never lost to us). Take your pick from those foreigners....

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 29 Jun 2016, 8:54 pm

Southgate is still a favourite with the bookmakers. Laugh

We all have no clue! Fans and media and bookmakers alike. It's a guessing game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 29 Jun 2016, 9:12 pm

Duty281 wrote:Southgate is still a favourite with the bookmakers. Laugh

We all have no clue! Fans and media and bookmakers alike. It's a guessing game.
I once managed a Sunday morning football team and we finished 4th 2 years on the trot, so I may shot my hat in the ring, better record than Southgate Laugh

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 29 Jun 2016, 9:32 pm

Id say my choices are Wenger, then Howe, then Klinsmann. Hoddle wouldnt be awful but it feels like Back to the Future.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Jun 2016, 9:52 pm

I think Wenger would be a poor choice, he's essentially a very poor judge, when it comes to English players too & none have gone on to develop into quality players. A manager, who can't even solve the issues of his current club, that have been so blatantly obvious for well over five years, so I don't see how he will be able to suddenly solve the issues of our national side.

I don't get the clamour for Eddie Howe, he's has had one season in the PL & his side finished 16th in the league. Very limited experience & has never managed big name players.

I would avoid Klinsmann, like the plague. He hasn't done a particularly good job over the last two years. Klinsmann led the U.S. to a poor fourth placed showing at the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup & the U.S have been struggling to qualify for the World Cup

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 29 Jun 2016, 10:19 pm

I think that misunderstands or ignores the strengths of all three managers whilst not 100% sure I'd agree with any of the weaknesses relating to how they'd manage England. Especially as the Klinsmann stuff basically has him as no noting of how he basically revolutionised German football.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Jun 2016, 10:55 pm

Luis Felipe Scolari

It's getting desperate now

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 29 Jun 2016, 11:43 pm

Wasn't he the first choice when Sven left?

Better late than never...I suppose.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Thu 30 Jun 2016, 10:39 am

Will get slated no doubt but of the English managers at the moment I would go with Allardyce.
I think he would have the balls to pick his own team in a style that actually works with tactics set up to get results. Might not be pretty or popular but I think he would be a pretty good upgrade at this point.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 30 Jun 2016, 11:32 am

MIG wrote:Will get slated no doubt but of the English managers at the moment I would go with Allardyce.
I think he would have the balls to pick his own team in a style that actually works with tactics set up to get results.  Might not be pretty or popular but I think he would be a pretty good upgrade at this point.

I agree and I really dislike Allardyce. I think going for the "noble" approach, we're setting up for more failure. I think instead we should take a page out of the books of other nations and go for a manager who is best proved at getting results and for me right now that's Allardyce.

I think he's a manager who is best at looking at a side and choosing the most simple and effective way of winning, which is crucial at international level. I also don't think his style requires a great deal of coaching, I think the ideas he has could be imposed on the squad quite quickly, unlike say trying to get a specific style for the international side.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 30 Jun 2016, 5:58 pm

No. Just no.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 02 Jul 2016, 1:51 pm

i couldnt care less, its the players that are the problem. roy didnt help himself but doubt the best managers would have done much with that team

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jul 2016, 3:01 pm

the problem was the management, i completely disagree, that the problem was the players. a top manager could of achieved so much more out of that talented squad. we had no plan, no tactics, no formation, no favoured starting line-up & assisting the clueless Roy, was gary 'i'm a pundit, turned awful coach' neville & ray 'how have i still got a career in this game' lewington'. if that isn't clear, why we failed, then i don't know what is. we knew roy's management was bad two years ago, but we stuck by it, so we deserved what we got.

don't tell me these players aren't hungry enough or lack the desire, they do, but like in any form, be it in your workplace office or on a football pitch, if you're led by a clown, then it will only lead to failure & people have no clue as to the direction they are being led or what their actual jobs are.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 02 Jul 2016, 3:31 pm

talented? who's anywhere near world class in that team?

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jul 2016, 3:50 pm

who said anything about world class.....

this was about management, it's pretty simple to understand, that's why you have management structures or hierachy, built into any professional business or footballing club. Without management, good management, you inevitably fail to reach your targets or maximise the output of your staff or players. Simple to understand. We had no plan, Roy was making it up as he went along. This has nothing to do with 'world class' players, we had quality throughout the squad, but it was held back by clueless, inept management, that has made the English national squad the laughing stock of football, for the last four years under Roy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:18 pm

Wales are in the semi finals. They have been managed spectacularly. They have possibly two players who would get in the England team, maybe three given the hype Williams would have received throughout his career were he English.

They have one world class player. But they don't rely solely on him, they play as a team. Managed brilliantly.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:21 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Wales are in the semi finals. They have been managed spectacularly. They have possibly two players who would get in the England team, maybe three given the hype Williams would have received throughout his career were he English.

They have one world class player. But they don't rely solely on him, they play as a team. Managed brilliantly.

He is.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:23 pm

Wales are also a classic underdog story aided by a pretty helpful draw. Making a tournament every 50 years is hardly the standard to aim for.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:25 pm

Pedant. He's a Wales player, so in footballing terms he's Welsh. The press would have blown up on him during his premiership time with Swansea were he eligible for us

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:26 pm

To be honest, I actually think hes been the weakest of the 3 CBs this tournament.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:27 pm

GSC wrote:Wales are also a classic underdog story aided by a pretty helpful draw. Making a tournament every 50 years is hardly the standard to aim for.

That's belittling everything they have done and are doing. I've seen Wales win nearly as many knockout games as I have England now.

Regardless, they currently have a manager doing a spectacular job. Were we to be managed so well then maybe we would have upset the mighty Iceland.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:28 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Pedant. He's a Wales player, so in footballing terms he's Welsh. The press would have blown up on him during his premiership time with Swansea were he eligible for us

It's hardly pedantry, he plays for Wales because he wasn't good enough for England, didn't play any age group football at all and entering the premier league at 26 I doubt the hype would have been there. Players tend to be hyped from a young age.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:30 pm

Well I would say it was but I don't care that much.

I wish we had him now. He makes less mistakes than Cahill and Smalling. And has a sense of leadership to him.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:32 pm

Cahill and Smalling outshine by a fair distance in the Premier League as does Stones, one international tournament doesn't change that, he's at Swansea for a reason.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jul 2016, 6:09 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I wish we had him now. He makes less mistakes than Cahill and Smalling. And has a sense of leadership to him.

For Swansea, he's usually all over the shop. You're not a good judge of defenders, Smalling is levels about Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yat0E2UxnG8

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:02 pm

He deals with a lot more than Cahill and Smalling and plays with lesser plays and less protection. All over the shop? Give over. Smalling is overrated and that's been my opinion of him much of the season.

Stones is a better footballer but nowhere near a better pure defender. Williams is cool and a good leader. He has those qualities in a way none of the others do in my opinion and they are very important ones.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:04 pm

For Wales this tournament maybe but you're not describing the player who plays for Swansea week in week out.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:19 pm

Talk about getting carried away by performances over two weeks. Everyone knows Williams is pretty average in the PL.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:24 pm

It's mainly an indictment on the quality of the other two. Certainly would love him in the squad, I'm not a fan of our defenders as they are although feel Stones has it all in him to be great. I'd still rather Dier revert back to defence than play Smalling at this moment.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:25 pm

You're just carrying on the opinion you had before the start of the season, showing yourself unable to admit you were wrong.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:35 pm

I don't think he's been great this season either to be honest. The defensive figures at Man United cannot be used as some holy grail when you then spend the rest of the time saying how dull and unambitious the football was.

I'm sorry I don't think he's that good. You're gonna have to accept that.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:36 pm

Sorry I do not agree with you

Last edited by Dolphin Ziggler on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Manners)

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:40 pm

I haven't been proved wrong, I haven't seen anything that makes me think he's a very good centreback. That is my opinion. Now leave it at that.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 02 Jul 2016, 8:44 pm

Resorting to deleting and editing posts and you called Michael Gove a moron.

Rude, insulting and ill-thought posts can be edited and deleted. I hope you can allow people to have opinions when you return on Monday

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 04 Jul 2016, 1:09 pm

Chris Coleman has now been rumoured...

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Jul 2016, 1:16 pm

No chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 04 Jul 2016, 4:13 pm

Eddie Howe with an experienced number two would be my choice. Trouble is, he's not likely to want it.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 04 Jul 2016, 4:20 pm

Why would Chris Coleman want to take a step back from the (soon-to-be) European Champions to be manager of England?

Makes no sense.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 04 Jul 2016, 4:22 pm

If he does take it, I hope we enjoy as much luck as his Welsh team have had!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Jul 2016, 4:24 pm

May as well pick a name out of a hat at random and give it to them...
"Ooh Miranda Hart"
"Hmm, Frankie Dettori!"
"Erm, Peter Sutcliffe!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 04 Jul 2016, 4:26 pm

DAVE667 wrote:May as well pick a name out of a hat at random and give it to them...
"Ooh Miranda Hart"
"Hmm, Frankie Dettori!"
"Erm, Peter Sutcliffe!"

Surely Frankie Dettori who has at least some connection to sport would get a better reaction than Miranda Hart??

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 04 Jul 2016, 4:29 pm

Stella wrote:If he does take it, I hope we enjoy as much luck as his Welsh team have had!

Wales make their own luck - they've won four out of five matches at this tournament, scoring ten goals in the process.

The last time England won four or more matches at a major tournament...1966!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Jul 2016, 4:31 pm

Crimey wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:May as well pick a name out of a hat at random and give it to them...
"Ooh Miranda Hart"
"Hmm, Frankie Dettori!"
"Erm, Peter Sutcliffe!"

Surely Frankie Dettori who has at least some connection to sport would get a better reaction than Miranda Hart??
"This is my, what I call, team selection...ooh, sounds like er*ction...bit rude!" (falls over)
Frankie Dettori just looks like someone has put Gino DiCampo on a boil wash

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 04 Jul 2016, 4:34 pm

Yeah they've done well but Coleman did step in dog muck at some point. Good luck to them, I hope they win it.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Mon 04 Jul 2016, 6:22 pm

Ryan Giggs ought to be England manager as he's now finally been dumped from Man Utd after being a spare part for a few years.

He'll do well I'm sure. Salford's finest will know all the players well being in the Premier League for so long, plus he's not burdened by national pride for another country as his 64 passionless performances for Wales testifies.

You want a youngish guy, who's been there, done, it, who's English. Giggs is your man!

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Mon 04 Jul 2016, 6:32 pm

Hoddle is the only one who is gonna want it.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next