The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon 2016 - Men's Final

+19
socal1976
Guest82
CaledonianCraig
banbrotam
TopoftheChops
sportslover
Jermaine2015
lags72
Haddie-nuff
timex please
westisbest
Duty281
Born Slippy
summerblues
Henman Bill
Aut0Gr4ph
Mad for Chelsea
Danny_1982
sirfredperry
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Wimbledon 2016 - Men's Final - Page 3 Empty Wimbledon 2016 - Men's Final

Post by sirfredperry Sat 09 Jul 2016, 9:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

Much-improved, big-serving Canadian takes on home-advantage Briton playing some of his best tennis. Murray is, to me, slight favourite. But Raonic is very focused, very confident and hard to beat. You can make a good case out for either of them.
I don't go along with the notion that a Raonic win is "bad for tennis". There's so much more to his game than a big serve. His ground strokes and movement have improved radically in recent months. Will he win? His game is certainly at the point when it would not be a surprise if he won. I think Murray will triumph, though. But it won't be easy.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon 2016 - Men's Final - Page 3 Empty Re: Wimbledon 2016 - Men's Final

Post by Jermaine2015 Mon 11 Jul 2016, 5:49 pm

socal1976 wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Yeah, Olympic gold medal (in doubles lol!) doesn't outweigh 8 more slam finals and 10 masters, and about a decade longer in the top 5. Like I said anybody who claims losing consistently in the early rounds of slams is better than getting to the final really is not going to get listened to, more like laughed at. Good job though your CONVERSION RATE POST was the funniest thing I have heard since Trump's last speech.
Remind me how many Olympic gold medals Djokovic has? laughing

You do realize that when it comes to rating singles players no one cares about an Olympic gold in DOUBLES? I have met some dim bulbs in my time, but you really are bad at this.
Olympic gold is Olympic gold whichever way you want to sugar coat it...

Go ask Asafa Powell or Jason Lesak if they binned their golds because they weren't the big names like Bolt and Phelps...

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon 11 Jul 2016, 6:17 pm

socal1976 wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Yeah, Olympic gold medal (in doubles lol!) doesn't outweigh 8 more slam finals and 10 masters, and about a decade longer in the top 5. Like I said anybody who claims losing consistently in the early rounds of slams is better than getting to the final really is not going to get listened to, more like laughed at. Good job though your CONVERSION RATE POST was the funniest thing I have heard since Trump's last speech.

You do realize that when it comes to rating singles players no one cares about an Olympic gold in DOUBLES? I have met some dim bulbs in my time, but you really are bad at this.

Laugh Socal you really shouldn't feed this troll but he really struggles with his maths and a few other things!

How are you socal?

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Mon 11 Jul 2016, 7:07 pm

sportslover wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:

Laugh Socal you really shouldn't feed this troll but he really struggles with his maths and a few other things!

How are you socal?
Can't do maths? Economics degree says otherwise...

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Mon 11 Jul 2016, 7:27 pm

Hmm, well I've enjoyed this Wimbledon and quite happy with the 2 singles champs, but it seemed to lack a bit for drama - Querrey beating Djokovic certainly was a shock but perhaps because the rain and on/off nature of it, it didn't quite create a Rosol moment. Also unfortunately, what seem like the matches of the tournament, Radwanska-Cibulkova, Federer-Cilic and Federer-Raonic, for drama, momentum swings, nailbiting moments happened during the day rather than getting primetime evening slot. And for all people say Raonic has improved, he still looks such a poor mover and in fact, as good at returning as Murray was, if he'd been clinical on break points, the scoreline should have been closer to the beatdown that Raonic suffered in Indian Wells against Djokovic.

So Raonic has added his name to list of the "best of the rest" players to have a 0-1 slam final record: Nishikori, Raonic, Berdych, Tsonga, Ferrer. I think the only other active slam finalist (other than Cilic and Del Potro who went 1-0 instead) is Baghdatis - have I missed any? I would say that only Nishikori and Raonic have a reasonable chance of further finals. Thiem at no.9 is the highest ranked player yet to reach a slam final, then Goffin at 11.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 11 Jul 2016, 7:36 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:
Born Slippy wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:J2015. Agree, the figures are against Andy in the match-ups with the Big 3. But he's now won more GS than anyone else outside the Big 4, and 11 GS finals is a fine achievement - win or lose.
  Yes, of course, in terms of dominance and titles, Murray is well behind the other three. But he's also well ahead of the rest, although I understand some people being reluctant to talk of Andy in the same breath as Rog, Rafa and Nole.    

There's no valid reason to object to the big 4 term. It's a pretty obvious statement to cover the fact those four guys have dominated the tour to an unprecedented level. They've won over 90% of all important trophies since 2008. Taking Murray out of that basically means you are saying the big 3 have dominated bar the 16 events won by that other guy. Murray, of course, isn't at the same level as the other three. They are all top 5 Open era. Murray is probably about 15th. However, no one else is anywhere near.

Since US 2008, Murray has won three slams, made 8 other finals and 9 other SF. He has also won 12 Masters and an Olympic gold.

In the same time frame, Fed has won five slams, made six other finals and ten other SF. He has won 10 Masters and two WTF.

Wawrinka has won two slams, made no other finals and four SF. He has won one Masters and no Olympics or WTF.
There's plenty of reason to dispel Murray from the presence of the Big 3.

Reaching countless major finals and getting destroyed doesn't mean you're elite. It means you're making the same mistakes over and over again.

As for winning 12 masters, players are remembered for winning majors. IIRC Agassi has more masters than Sampras, but doesn't anyone ever care about that? No everyone remembers Sampras' 14 majors.

If Wawrinka wins a third major, he jumps ahead of Murray as his record in major finals is better. 100% conversion is better than a paltry 27%

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 11 Jul 2016, 9:28 pm

sportslover wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:

How are you socal?

Good SL, it is funny how Murray making 8 more finals than Stan is a negative because Stan has, are you ready for this, a better Conversion Rate. Apparently, if Murray wanted to be a better player he would have lost more often in the first week and earlier rounds like Stan has throughout his career. And then he brings up Stan's gold medal in doubles when we are talking who is the better singles player. Does anyone on here weigh doubles success as an indicator of singles success?

Jerry my boy does have some math and logic issues. Nice to hear from you.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon 11 Jul 2016, 9:33 pm

Shame Novak and Andy aren't playing Davis Cup this weekend as it would have been interesting but no doubt they will meet up for a chat!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 11 Jul 2016, 9:37 pm

Jermaine2015 wrote:
sportslover wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:

How are you socal?
Can't do maths? Economics degree says otherwise...

did you get your degree from Trump University?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3