Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Dolphin Ziggler on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:52 am

First topic message reminder :

Just to balance out you miserable v2wats, thought I'd add somewhere for you to mention things that make you happy.

Waste of time even typing this, you're all grumpy old farts

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin

Posts : 22534
Join date : 2012-03-01
Age : 30
Location : Wollongong

Back to top Go down


Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:52 am

SecretFly wrote:You always had a very low opinion of me, navy.  So don't let's be coy.  I acted just as you knew a guy like me would act.  And I'm glad to be of service in allowing you yet another opportunity to peddle those withering put-downs of yours.
Actually, no. It took a while. I actually think you're quite perceptive and have a lot that's interesting to say, but I do wish you'd stop wrapping everything up in utter bollox. Trust me, your message is more often than not lost as a result.

The knee-jerk cobblers and stereotyping re. the teaching profession isn't even perceptive, original or correct. I could be wrong though, as clearly you're a top-notch educator with valuable insight that needs to be revealed...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by SecretFly on Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:00 am

navyblueshorts wrote:

The knee-jerk cobblers and stereotyping re. the teaching profession isn't even perceptive, original or correct. I could be wrong though, as clearly you're a top-notch educator with valuable insight that needs to be revealed...

Well all that stuff is called parody, navy. And parody by nature is free and easy with accuracy and full of wild embellishment.

But it still hides a serious point. I think education (as played out in most countries now) is outdated and doesn't just need modification but a revolutionary new approach. Children are active and have energy to burn....sitting quietly in seats for hours on end is both unnatural and not conducive to improving the minds of the majority. But it is good at readying kids for long hours at factory benches. That's the sly education going on there. Our children are being conditioned to be drones... from sector 7G

SecretFly

Posts : 30404
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by rick_dagless on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:49 pm

I see that flippers OP was oddly prophetic.

But back on track...

The first beer on a Friday after a B***ard of a week at work.

rick_dagless
rik
rik

Posts : 10963
Join date : 2013-04-29
Location : Feeling souper

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:52 pm

SecretFly wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

The knee-jerk cobblers and stereotyping re. the teaching profession isn't even perceptive, original or correct. I could be wrong though, as clearly you're a top-notch educator with valuable insight that needs to be revealed...

Well all that stuff is called parody, navy.  And parody by nature is free and easy with accuracy and full of wild embellishment.  

But it still hides a serious point.  I think education (as played out in most countries now) is outdated and doesn't just need modification but a revolutionary new approach.  Children are active and have energy to burn....sitting quietly in seats for hours on end is both unnatural and not conducive to improving the minds of the majority.  But it is good at readying kids for long hours at factory benches.  That's the sly education going on there.  Our children are being conditioned to be drones... from sector 7G
You were doing OK until the last bit. What's it like in your bunker?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by rick_dagless on Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:16 pm

Either cheer up, go to the gear grinding thread, or lock this one...

rick_dagless
rik
rik

Posts : 10963
Join date : 2013-04-29
Location : Feeling souper

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:00 pm

rick_dagless wrote:Either cheer up, go to the gear grinding thread, or lock this one...
Good point! Is this better -> Very Happy
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by ShahenshahG on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:57 pm

https://youtu.be/bZU-owLWV3Q

ShahenshahG

Posts : 15637
Join date : 2011-02-12
Age : 33
Location : The happiest man a morning ever sees

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by ShahenshahG on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:58 pm

The resigned way it walks away knowing it will never live it down.

ShahenshahG

Posts : 15637
Join date : 2011-02-12
Age : 33
Location : The happiest man a morning ever sees

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Pr4wn on Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:58 am

A good pub quiz.

Pr4wn
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4947
Join date : 2011-03-09
Location : Manila, Philippines

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:27 am

Being off work sick...seems it's the only time I get to spend time alone with my wife and go for lunch without the kids demanding everything under the sun.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:31 am

DAVE667 wrote:Being off work sick...seems it's the only time I get to spend time alone with my wife and go for lunch without the kids demanding everything under the sun.

Are you Tyson fury ??

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38647
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:51 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Being off work sick...seems it's the only time I get to spend time alone with my wife and go for lunch without the kids demanding everything under the sun.

Are you Tyson fury ??
No, there's no way I'd buy a round of drinks!!!!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by SecretFly on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:16 pm

..em Farage being back as technical Leader of UKIP.

...but I know, it's just a fantasy - it could never happen for real a third time.

SecretFly

Posts : 30404
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:20 pm

Kim Kardashian's impending arrest and imprisonment for lying about being robbed whilst in France leading to her "show" being cancelled an her having to resort to giving handjobs for $2 in the toilets to subsidize her income as a circus freak ("Come and see the fat assed dwarf")

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by dyrewolfe on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:38 am

SecretFly wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

The knee-jerk cobblers and stereotyping re. the teaching profession isn't even perceptive, original or correct. I could be wrong though, as clearly you're a top-notch educator with valuable insight that needs to be revealed...

Well all that stuff is called parody, navy.  And parody by nature is free and easy with accuracy and full of wild embellishment.  

But it still hides a serious point.  I think education (as played out in most countries now) is outdated and doesn't just need modification but a revolutionary new approach.  Children are active and have energy to burn....sitting quietly in seats for hours on end is both unnatural and not conducive to improving the minds of the majority.  But it is good at readying kids for long hours at factory benches.  That's the sly education going on there.  Our children are being conditioned to be drones... from sector 7G


I quite agree. I hated sitting in a classroom and having to be quiet...there was always the library for that.

I think modern schools should combine academic learning with physical activity, with rewards for getting correct answers and completing tasks. Sort of like a combination of the Krypton Factor, the Crystal Maze (showing my age here) and Pokémon Go!

It would instantly make school more attractive to kids AND solve the child obesity crisis in a way that would make Jamie Oliver green with envy! Laugh


DAVE667 wrote:
Kim Kardashian's impending arrest and imprisonment for lying about being robbed whilst in France leading to her "show" being cancelled an her having to resort to giving handjobs for $2 in the toilets to subsidize her income as a circus freak ("Come and see the fat assed dwarf")

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving person! Laugh

(I'm only saying this because she wasn't physically harmed in the robbery)

Anyone who decides to flaunt every vacuous, self-absorbed moment of their super-rich lifestyle on TV should be sent to a refugee camp for a couple of years.

Was also happy to see it had the unintentional benefit of making hubby Kanye cut short a gig.


Last edited by dyrewolfe on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Posts : 6370
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Restaurant at the end of the Universe

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:44 am

dyrewolfe wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

The knee-jerk cobblers and stereotyping re. the teaching profession isn't even perceptive, original or correct. I could be wrong though, as clearly you're a top-notch educator with valuable insight that needs to be revealed...

Well all that stuff is called parody, navy.  And parody by nature is free and easy with accuracy and full of wild embellishment.  

But it still hides a serious point.  I think education (as played out in most countries now) is outdated and doesn't just need modification but a revolutionary new approach.  Children are active and have energy to burn....sitting quietly in seats for hours on end is both unnatural and not conducive to improving the minds of the majority.  But it is good at readying kids for long hours at factory benches.  That's the sly education going on there.  Our children are being conditioned to be drones... from sector 7G


I quite agree. I hated sitting in a classroom and having to be quiet...there was always the library for that.

I think modern schools should combine academic learning with physical activity, with rewards for getting correct answers and completing tasks. Sort of like a combination of the Krypton Factor, the Crystal Maze (showing my age here) and Pokémon Go!
Don't necessarily agree that Education in its current form is outdated but would question things like the need for children to know how ox-bow lakes are formed and then spend two hours writing about it. Also, not convinced that reading Shakespeare is ideal introduction to future discourse. When Lady Macbeth says "Screw your courage to the sticking plate" I don't think there are many kids who are going to use this as an alternative to "Man the f*ck up" or "Stop being a f*cking p*ssy"

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by dyrewolfe on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:54 am

DAVE667 wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

The knee-jerk cobblers and stereotyping re. the teaching profession isn't even perceptive, original or correct. I could be wrong though, as clearly you're a top-notch educator with valuable insight that needs to be revealed...

Well all that stuff is called parody, navy.  And parody by nature is free and easy with accuracy and full of wild embellishment.  

But it still hides a serious point.  I think education (as played out in most countries now) is outdated and doesn't just need modification but a revolutionary new approach.  Children are active and have energy to burn....sitting quietly in seats for hours on end is both unnatural and not conducive to improving the minds of the majority.  But it is good at readying kids for long hours at factory benches.  That's the sly education going on there.  Our children are being conditioned to be drones... from sector 7G


I quite agree. I hated sitting in a classroom and having to be quiet...there was always the library for that.

I think modern schools should combine academic learning with physical activity, with rewards for getting correct answers and completing tasks. Sort of like a combination of the Krypton Factor, the Crystal Maze (showing my age here) and Pokémon Go!
Don't necessarily agree that Education in its current form is outdated but would question things like the need for children to know how ox-bow lakes are formed and then spend two hours writing about it. Also, not convinced that reading Shakespeare is ideal introduction to future discourse. When Lady Macbeth says "Screw your courage to the sticking plate" I don't think there are many kids who are going to use this as an alternative to "Man the f*ck up" or "Stop being a f*cking p*ssy"


Lol!

Actually, now I think about it, my idea would probably never fly with "HEALTH & SAFETY" being what it is today. Even if the parents didn't object outright to their poor little lambs actually having to do some walking / running / jumping / climbing, the amount of bureaucracy required to sanction it would kill it stone dead.

Agree that secondary education probably needs to be a bit more generalised in some subjects (such as history and geography). Stuff like Shakespeare can probably also wait until you choose to study Classics at Oxbridge. I think I would have appreciated the Bard's work a lot more with a better grasp of English and a brain better geared to figuring out what all the period terminology meant.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Posts : 6370
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Restaurant at the end of the Universe

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:15 am

dyrewolfe wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

The knee-jerk cobblers and stereotyping re. the teaching profession isn't even perceptive, original or correct. I could be wrong though, as clearly you're a top-notch educator with valuable insight that needs to be revealed...

Well all that stuff is called parody, navy.  And parody by nature is free and easy with accuracy and full of wild embellishment.  

But it still hides a serious point.  I think education (as played out in most countries now) is outdated and doesn't just need modification but a revolutionary new approach.  Children are active and have energy to burn....sitting quietly in seats for hours on end is both unnatural and not conducive to improving the minds of the majority.  But it is good at readying kids for long hours at factory benches.  That's the sly education going on there.  Our children are being conditioned to be drones... from sector 7G


I quite agree. I hated sitting in a classroom and having to be quiet...there was always the library for that.

I think modern schools should combine academic learning with physical activity, with rewards for getting correct answers and completing tasks. Sort of like a combination of the Krypton Factor, the Crystal Maze (showing my age here) and Pokémon Go!
Don't necessarily agree that Education in its current form is outdated but would question things like the need for children to know how ox-bow lakes are formed and then spend two hours writing about it. Also, not convinced that reading Shakespeare is ideal introduction to future discourse. When Lady Macbeth says "Screw your courage to the sticking plate" I don't think there are many kids who are going to use this as an alternative to "Man the f*ck up" or "Stop being a f*cking p*ssy"


Lol!

Actually, now I think about it, my idea would probably never fly with "HEALTH & SAFETY" being what it is today. Even if the parents didn't object outright to their poor little lambs actually having to do some walking / running / jumping / climbing, the amount of bureaucracy required to sanction it would kill it stone dead.

Agree that secondary education probably needs to be a bit more generalised in some subjects (such as history and geography). Stuff like Shakespeare can probably also wait until you choose to study Classics at Oxbridge. I think I would have appreciated the Bard's work a lot more with a better grasp of English and a brain better geared to figuring out what all the period terminology meant.
Then again, their time could be better spent tracking down and killing the likes of Dan Brown, E L James, Helen Fielding, JK Rowling, Jilly Cooper, Jeremy Clarkson (why doesn't he just call his books "Mein Car-mpf Vol.1 - infinity"?) and other c*nts of their kind.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:22 am

I was a grade A history student....But I went the safe route and took a subject where I had good career options waiting for me..

Had my time again I'd have took History and been a teacher with plenty of weeks off a year..

But hey we live and (never) learn..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38647
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Pr4wn on Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:43 am

Yeah that JK Rowling. What has she ever done, eh? Only written a record-setting series of books that started a reading craze among children and then proceeded to plummet down the Forbes rich list due to how much she gave away to charity.

Pr4wn
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4947
Join date : 2011-03-09
Location : Manila, Philippines

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:02 am

You seem a bit aggressive lately Pr4wn...

Hope this Globe trekking is suiting you..




TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38647
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by dyrewolfe on Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:57 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Yeah that JK Rowling. What has she ever done, eh? Only written a record-setting series of books that started a reading craze among children and then proceeded to plummet down the Forbes rich list due to how much she gave away to charity.

Don't feel too bad for her.

I'm sure the Harry Potter theatre show and that new film about Newt Scamander are helping to restore her lost fortune. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Posts : 6370
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Restaurant at the end of the Universe

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Yeah that JK Rowling. What has she ever done, eh? Only written a record-setting series of books that started a reading craze among children and then proceeded to plummet down the Forbes rich list due to how much she gave away to charity.
Also had adults praising it to the high heavens...no, it's a f*cking childrens' book and putting a black and white picture of a train on the front instead of a cartoon one, doesn't suddenly make it fit for adults.

Also, f*ck JK Rowling and her so-called struggle. "Whilst writing Harry Potter, I was so poor, that instead of paper I found myself writing on airline napkins" Oh, so you could still afford to fly in a f*cking plane then, b!tch!!?!?! F*CK YOU!!!!!!!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:33 pm

Erm I'm sure there's a place somewhere on the board for people to jealously rant against successful quality writers argue the merits of Harry Potter vs The Da Vinci Code*, but not sure this is the right thread?

Back on topic, when Glasgow has sunny weather six days in a row (yes, really!).

George Mewes cheese shop. Remarkably nice staff happy to let you try a large variety of cheeses to find the ones that you most want that particular day. Very Happy

*on the HH scale of titular accuracy, HP wins hands down. The Da Vinci Code is very wrongly titled, since Da Vinci simply indicates where Leonardo was from. It would be like re-naming Lawrence of Arabia as Of Arabia's Desert's Adventures (or something similar).

Mad for Chelsea

Posts : 12016
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by SecretFly on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:39 pm

OK Wise observation Dave. That why this site needs you and should really pay you a salary.

There is something I truly love about JK though - maybe it's just her jaded, uncaring look - I like people who look like they don't give a f**k - Alison Goldfrapp would be another.

But I can't speak on her skills or lack thereof as a writer - and I've never seen more than 15 minutes in total of the combined 70 Harry Potter movies.

SecretFly

Posts : 30404
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by SecretFly on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:45 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:

*on the HH scale of titular accuracy, HP wins hands down. The Da Vinci Code is very wrongly titled, since Da Vinci simply indicates where Leonardo was from. It would be like re-naming Lawrence of Arabia as Of Arabia's Desert's Adventures (or something similar).

Lawrence of Arabia written by Dan Brown (extract):

"Lawrence stopped.  Lawrence was on top of a hill.  He looked.  Something moved.  He was in the desert.  The sun shone.  Lawrence looked and said to himself, "Now that I have stopped in this desert and it is hot as I'm on the top of this hill, I wonder what that is in the distance that is also in the desert with the sun beating down on it?"

SecretFly

Posts : 30404
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:48 pm

SecretFly wrote: OK Wise observation Dave.  That why this site needs you and should really pay you a salary.

There is something I truly love about JK though - maybe it's just her jaded, uncaring look - I like people who look like they don't give a f**k - Alison Goldfrapp would be another.

But I can't speak on her skills or lack thereof as a writer - and I've never seen more than 15 minutes in total of the combined 70 Harry Potter movies.
I read "...Philosopher's Stone" to see what the fuss was about and almost immediately went on a kill crazy rampage, punching people who were holding copies of the Potter books full in the face then handing them copies of books by the likes of James Crumley and George Pelecanos whilst screaming "This is real writing you f*cker! Not this nibble pibbly sh!te."

Have never bothered with the films either and can safely say I won't be watching them anytime soon.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:49 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:

*on the HH scale of titular accuracy, HP wins hands down. The Da Vinci Code is very wrongly titled, since Da Vinci simply indicates where Leonardo was from. It would be like re-naming Lawrence of Arabia as Of Arabia's Desert's Adventures (or something similar).

Lawrence of Arabia written by Dan Brown (extract):

"Lawrence stopped.  Lawrence was on top of a hill.  He looked.  Something moved.  He was in the desert.  The sun shone.  Lawrence looked and said to himself, "Now that I have stopped in this desert and it is hot as I'm on the top of this hill, I wonder what that is in the distance that is also in the desert with the sun beating down on it?"
SALTS

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Pr4wn on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:23 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You seem a bit aggressive lately Pr4wn...

Hope this Globe trekking is suiting you..




When compared to the response (a tenner says he wouldn't be so angry if Rowling was a bloke), it doesn't really seem to aggressive.

All settled down now mate, thanks.

Pr4wn
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4947
Join date : 2011-03-09
Location : Manila, Philippines

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Mad for Chelsea on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:32 am

SecretFly wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:

*on the HH scale of titular accuracy, HP wins hands down. The Da Vinci Code is very wrongly titled, since Da Vinci simply indicates where Leonardo was from. It would be like re-naming Lawrence of Arabia as Of Arabia's Desert's Adventures (or something similar).

Lawrence of Arabia written by Dan Brown (extract):

"Lawrence stopped.  Lawrence was on top of a hill.  He looked.  Something moved.  He was in the desert.  The sun shone.  Lawrence looked and said to himself, "Now that I have stopped in this desert and it is hot as I'm on the top of this hill, I wonder what that is in the distance that is also in the desert with the sun beating down on it?"

Just for you:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000844.html

DISCLAIMER: I've never actually read any of Dan Brown's books so couldn't possibly comment on their worth. I did see the Da Vinci Code film, which was pretty dreadful.

Mad for Chelsea

Posts : 12016
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:05 am

Pr4wn wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You seem a bit aggressive lately Pr4wn...

Hope this Globe trekking is suiting you..




When compared to the response (a tenner says he wouldn't be so angry if Rowling was a bloke), it doesn't really seem to aggressive.

All settled down now mate, thanks.
Send your tenner now, soft lad (oh and wrap it up securely in a bunch of other tenners). Sh!t writing is sh!t writing.One of my exes used to like Sophie Kinsella...utter turdburgers of books, but would she read anything else, would she b*llocks!

Anyway, for examples non-female sh!t writing, when Fielding was writing all that Bridget Jones guff and spawning an army of simple minded imitators, there was a fella called Mike Gayle doing the male equivalent. His first novel was called "My Legendary Girlfriend" and it was about this simpering d!cksplash who couldn't form any sort of meaningful relationship as he was still obsessed with the titular "legendary girlfriend" who you just knew was an utter c*nt but because he was such a sap, he deserved everything he got. Utterly dreadful book where none of the characters had any substance let alone redeeming features. Sadly, as I recollect, no one died horribly which would have been a fitting end for any number of them. Also read a book by a fella called Dale Peck entitled (I think) "Now watch him die" I've always prided myself on the fact that I could finish a book no matter how godawful but I almost gave up with this as it put the "turd" in turgid. Then there was "White Crosses" by Larry White where again, nothing happened. Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Ramsey Campbell, Shaun Hutson...all males, all writing b*llocks.
Certainly not bitter or jealous where Rowling is concerned, just hate to see people lose their minds over something so banal. Yes, it's popular, so is Dan Brown's stuff...doesn't automatically make it very good.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by SecretFly on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:21 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:

DISCLAIMER: I've never actually read any of Dan Brown's books so couldn't possibly comment on their worth. I did see the Da Vinci Code film, which was pretty dreadful.

I laughed my way through it and I couldn't put it down.  I was somehow expecting such a great work of interesting Theology and history merging with an involving narrative - but from the first few pages I knew this guy was a chancer.... but enjoyed the journey with him nonetheless, as you enjoy looking at a terrible movie that is so bad to be brilliant.

The bits I truly loved were the dramatic chase scenes - the hero and his heroine trying deperately to flee one more time with their lives as some seriously dangerous nutjob gets closer and closer............................. BUT....................... time enough to stop and leisurely examine an oil painting for intricate signs and symbols to help solve an interesting theological puzzle.
He's behind you!!!!  RUN!!!! He's just in the next room!!! - "Yes, all in good time.  But what do you think of the kind of pigments the artist used on that hand, my dear.  Spiffingly interesting, what?"
Scooby Doo is probably the nearest relative of the De Vinci Code.

SecretFly

Posts : 30404
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Pr4wn on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:23 am

So hate her books and not her. She's a very successful, generous woman. Just because you don't like her books, doesn't mean that the profanity-laden tripe that you spout about her is justified.

Pr4wn
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4947
Join date : 2011-03-09
Location : Manila, Philippines

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:27 am

Pr4wn wrote:So hate her books and not her. She's a very successful, generous woman. Just because you don't like her books, doesn't mean that the profanity-laden tripe that you spout about her is justified.
Says who, my opinion of the women is that she's a smug self centred individual whose greatest work of fiction appears to be her re-invented backstory where she portrays herself as a struggling genius whose attempts to bring her own brand of literary genius to the masses are constantly thwarted by near unbearable poverty.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Pr4wn on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:29 am

See, that wasn't so hard, was it? Well done.

Pr4wn
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 4947
Join date : 2011-03-09
Location : Manila, Philippines

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:31 am

Pr4wn wrote:See, that wasn't so hard, was it? Well done.
F*ck off you condescending tw*t and take the boy wizard books written by that scum sucking c*nt with you (ah, I knew it couldn't last...)

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by SecretFly on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:32 am

I preferred his first attempt.... more originality... Cool

SecretFly

Posts : 30404
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by navyblueshorts on Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:05 am

Dave, your attempt to swear less doesn't seem to be working very well does it?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by rick_dagless on Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:01 pm

DAVE's profanity ridden rants make me happy, that much vitriol just has to cheer you up.

rick_dagless
rik
rik

Posts : 10963
Join date : 2013-04-29
Location : Feeling souper

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:08 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Dave, your attempt to swear less doesn't seem to be working very well does it?
Au contraire mon c*ntfaced one, it's going f*cking swimmingly!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by navyblueshorts on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:39 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Dave, your attempt to swear less doesn't seem to be working very well does it?
Au contraire mon c*ntfaced one, it's going f*cking swimmingly!
Laugh Makes one wonder what it was like before!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Posts : 8178
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by dyrewolfe on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:48 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Erm I'm sure there's a place somewhere on the board for people to jealously rant against successful quality writers argue the merits of Harry Potter vs The Da Vinci Code*, but not sure this is the right thread?

Back on topic, when Glasgow has sunny weather six days in a row (yes, really!).

George Mewes cheese shop. Remarkably nice staff happy to let you try a large variety of cheeses to find the ones that you most want that particular day. Very Happy

*on the HH scale of titular accuracy, HP wins hands down. The Da Vinci Code is very wrongly titled, since Da Vinci simply indicates where Leonardo was from. It would be like re-naming Lawrence of Arabia as Of Arabia's Desert's Adventures (or something similar).


Not at all.

The "Da Vinci" part of his name defines him (nobody has ever just called him Leonardo). Otherwise he could be Leonardo from Anywhere and Dan Brown might have written a novel about a Brazilian footballer or something.

Its quite a common thing with names. The Germans use von (e.g. Manfred von Richtoffen) to denote places or lineages. The Spanish use de la (e.g. Pedro de la Rosa) and the Dutch have van / van der (e.g. Marco van Basten).
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Posts : 6370
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Restaurant at the end of the Universe

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by dyrewolfe on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:51 pm

rick_dagless wrote:DAVE's profanity ridden rants make me happy, that much vitriol just has to cheer you up.

Aye, he's always good for a laugh. If I need cheering up at work, I just log in here to read his latest tirade. Laugh

THAT'S HIS SECRET...HE'S ALWAYS ANGRY!

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 I-m-always-angry-o


Last edited by dyrewolfe on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Posts : 6370
Join date : 2011-03-14
Location : Restaurant at the end of the Universe

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:53 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Dave, your attempt to swear less doesn't seem to be working very well does it?
Au contraire mon c*ntfaced one, it's going f*cking swimmingly!
Laugh Makes one wonder what it was like before!
Like an episode of Geordie Shore (without the sex)

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:30 am

A little while ago a Colleague of mine took his young Son who hadn't been well for a while to hospital to have some more tests done (He'd had some already and nothing was found)... As he walked through the entrance he noticed a guy in a suit staring at his Son...He carried on walking and then got a tap on the shoulder by the man in question..(He turned out to be a South African surgeon)..He said he'd been watching his Son walk and asked what tests the boy was in for....

After he told him.... He said I'm going to come with you...When they got to the room the Doctor ordered other tests.....and Cancer of the spine was diagnosed...

The boy is on his last dose of Chemo now....and his Father is hopeful...

The South African Surgeon was only in the Country for a few days...

Fate works in mysterious ways..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 38647
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunshine, lollipops and...things that make you happy

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum