Post by wayne on Wed 13 Jul 2016, 8:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rugby Management and Squad for 16/17
Head Coach Steve Tandy
Backs Gruff Rees
Forwards Chris Gibbes
Defence Brad Davis
Backs.
Dan Evans 3,     Jeff Hassler 2,     Dafydd Howells 2,     Ashley Beck 2,     Owen Watkin 3,     Kieron Fonotia 2,    Ben John 2,     Tom Habberfield 3,     Rhys Webb NDC 3?,     Dan Biggar NDC 3,     Eli Walker 1,     Josh Matavesi 2,     Tom Grabham 1,      Brendon Leonard 2,     Sam Davies 1,      Hanno Dirksen 1, Keelan Giles 3   
Forwards.
Olly Cracknell 2,     Lloyd Ashley3,     Bradley Davies NDC 3,      Joe Bearman 1,     Gareth Thomas 3,     Hugh Gustafson 2,     Adam Beard 3,     Scott Otten 3,     AWJ NDC 3,     Dan Baker NDC 3,     Rory Thornton NDC 3,     Scott Baldwin NDC 3,     James King NDC 2,     Ma'afu Fia 2,     Nicky Smith 3,     Dmitri Arhip 2,     Justin Tipuric 4,     Sam Parry 2,     Tyler Ardron 1,     Paul James 2,     Dan Suter 1,    Rhodri Jones 2, and Sam Underhill 2 but on permit from Bridgend RFC.
Fixture list for 16/17    
2/9   Zebre                                         H                        Guinness                   W 59-5
10/9 Connacht                                    A                        Guinness                   W 32-11
17/9 Treviso                                       H                         Guinness                   W 64-10
23/9 Leinster                                      A                         Guinness                   L  19-31  
1/10 Ulster                                        A                          Guinness                   L  7-9
7/10 Blues                                         H                          Guinness                   W  46-24
14/15/16 London I                              H                           BIC                          L  14-25
14/10 Newcastle Falcons                      H                          RCC2                       W  45-0
21/22/23 Cornish Pirates                       A                           BIC                          L  5-41
22/10 Lyon Olympique                          A                          RCC2                       W  31-13
29/10 NGD                                        H                            W                         W   35-15    
4/11 Munster                                    A                           Guinness
11/11 Harlequins                               TBC                        AWC
18/11 Blues                                      A                           AWC
25/11 Glasgow W                               A                          Guinness
2/12 Edinburgh                                  H                          Guinness
9/10/11-12 Connacht                         TBC                       BIC
16/17/18-12 Connacht                        TBC                       BIC
27/12 Scarlets                                   H                          Guinness
1/1 NGD                                           A                           Guinness
6/7/8-1 Connacht                              H                           Guinness
13/14/15-1 Cornish P                         TBC                        BIC
21/1 London I                                   TBC                        BIC
28/1 Bristol                                      TBC                        AWC
5/2 Wasps                                        A                           AWC
10/11/12-2 Zebre                              A                           Guinness
17/18/19-2 Munster                           H                           Guinness
24/25/26-2 Glasgow W                       H                            Guinness
3/4/5-3 Edinburgh                             A                            Guinness
24/25/26-3 Treviso                            A                            Guinness
7/8/9-4 Leinster                                H                            Guinness
15/4 Blues                                        A                            Guinness
28/29/30-4 Ulster                              H                            Guinness
6/5 Scarlets                                     A                            Guinness
Will add RCC2 matches when they've been finalised.
Contrary to popular belief some of the Guinness League games will be affected by the Autumn Internationals, our players will be with TW when we play the Dragons, Munster and Glasgow Warriors, the first 2 because of the 13 day call up period and the Warriors because of the infernal 4th game which this year is against SA, and to think some people think everything is hunkydory now that Dodger Lewis has left his legacy rolls on.               
The number after each player signifies how many years they have left on their Ospreys contract, there are a few others who are on either Development Contracts or appear not to be under contract, Jonathon Spratt, Jordan Collier, and Alex Jeffries and a few others come into that category.
Our first 5 games of the season account for the 2 Italians at home and 3 Irish, Connacht, Ulster and Leinster away, so we shouldn't have as bad a start as last season, but not as good as the previous seasons start, in certain positions especially during International periods we are only 1 or 2 injuries away from disaster, and I just hope Steve has learned his selection mistakes from the last few seasons.

Last edited by wayne on Mon 07 Nov 2016, 9:25 pm; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : Altering Justin Tipuric's Tenure)

wayne

Back to top Go down

Re: Ospreys 16/17 season thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Sat 10 Dec 2016, 10:30 pm

wayne wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
wayne wrote:Won 59 - 7. 9 tries, the 2 wingers Dafydd Howells and Keelan Giles 2 tries apiece, Matavesi, Fonotia, Biggar, Parry and AWJ one each, by all accounts Grenoble were abysmal. WTF they will be like next week is gobsmacking, with the normal travelling French interest in this tournament.  

Like a very excited jack russell in the park; impossible to tackle and tremendous fun to watch. More please.
Biggest win ever at the Library looming large, I reckon.

Nah, we're only after 5 points so we're putting out our U18s Very Happy

Good call.
Can hear pins dropping in the Library already however.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Tue 13 Dec 2016, 7:45 pm

Some really good news that AWJ and Tips along with a couple of others from last weeks squad rested for this weekends return against Grenoble, and that 2 medium termed injuries Tyler Ardron and Hanno Dirksen will be making appearances either in this game or the B&I Cup match against Connacht Eagles, the player pool is expanding by the day.

Can see players like Underhill, Beard and Cracknell making appearances this weekend, I wonder if we will give young Keelan a rest to try to dampen the Press talking about him incessantly.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 6:38 pm

After the good news comes the opposite with Daimitri Arhip, dislocated his shoulder last week and he's due for surgery next week, and is expected to be out for 4 to 5 months, we now have to rely on Rhodri Jones as the cover for Ma'afu Fia with Dan Suter in the wings, dreading next weeks game against the Scarlets when Rob Evans should have a field day against any of them, perhaps we can opt to put Paul James over there, but I doubt it.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Fri 16 Dec 2016, 1:15 pm

Ospreys team to play Grenoble in the return fixture at the Liberty tomorrow afternoon
15. Sam Davies 14. Dafydd Howells 13. Kieron Fonotia 12. Ashley Beck 11. Dan Evans 10. Dan Biggar 9. Brendon Leonard 1. Nicky Smith 2. Scott Baldwin 3. Rhodri Jones 4. Lloyd Ashley 5. Rory Thornton 6. Olly Cracknell 7. Sam Underhill 8. James King with Scott Otten, Gareth Thomas, Ma'afu Fia, Adam Beard, Rob McCusker, Tom Habberfield, Josh Matavesi and Hanno Dirksen on the bench.
A very fluid selection there, Keelan Giles is supposedly injured with bruised ribs, but I have a feeling it is to lessen the hype around the boy, I realy hope that Rhodri takes a bit of a tonking to show the coaches that he is not a tight head, with still a decent win for us.
Really looking forward to see that centre partnership in full flow, and hopefully we can see Hanno have a productive 20 minutes or so.

Grenoble have brought in a few first teamers for tomorrow, and altered a few positions, but basically it is much the same as last week, as we've slightly diminished our 23, there shouldn't be a significant drop result wise. Now there's a prophecy that is liable to backfire.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 8:37 pm

71 - 3. What a result, I know it was nowhere near their first team, around about half a dozen of their first team squad (23) played today, but then again we were missing about a dozen of our best players as well.

I tell you what there were more backs moves in that game today, than Wales have performed since Howley has taken that position, the battle for positions in our team for the visit of the Scarlets in 10 days time is intriguing, I don't envy Tandy and Co's job for that game, the only problem I can see is if we have to select Rhodri Jones in the tight head position, the first 3 scrums today resulted in 3 penalties for the opposition. We cannot afford that next week, something different has to be done.

Let me finish today, by saying I spoke to an Osprey front row forward who told me that we are going to persist with trying to make Rhodri into a tight head and that is the reason he left the Scarlets, they feel with enough exposure he will develop into a fine tight head, I don't know if I agree with that as I haven't seen any improvement in a few years in trying to adapt to the new technique.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Sun 18 Dec 2016, 3:48 pm

Wow Ospreys Premiership Select hammer Connacht Eagles 55-14 with 9 tries scored, all by our backs. After the last gasp win last weekend out in Galway, where another of our wing sensations scored a hat trick of tries, he scored another 2 today.
Things are really looking up on the Development Pathway.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 12:34 pm

wayne, it looks as though Dan Biggar will be the first regional player to reach 2000pts over the festive period. That is quite some achievement for the young man. OK

http://www.606v2.com/t64768-dan-biggar-the-first-regional-player-to-reach-2000

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 1:48 pm

wayne wrote:Wow Ospreys Premiership Select hammer Connacht Eagles 55-14 with 9 tries scored, all by our backs. After the last gasp win last weekend out in Galway, where another of our wing sensations scored a hat trick of tries, he scored another 2 today.

It seems whenever Daf Howells, Keelan Giles, Jay Bakey, Tom O'flaherty take the field, they cant stop scoring. I understand we've played a lot of weak teams this season but still you can only play whats in front of you.

My question would be, do we not renew Eli Walkers contract? and give more game time to the other wingers who dont seem less brittle than Walker

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 4:20 pm

LordDowlais wrote:wayne, it looks as though Dan Biggar will be the first regional player to reach 2000pts over the festive period. That is quite some achievement for the young man. OK

http://www.606v2.com/t64768-dan-biggar-the-first-regional-player-to-reach-2000

Yes pretty remarkable scoring Lord, and the total is so much better when considering he was not first choice kicker for about the first 15 months of his starts with us, we are seriously indebted to Dan not only for his points accrued but for his overall game management.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 4:28 pm

True Raven wrote:
wayne wrote:Wow Ospreys Premiership Select hammer Connacht Eagles 55-14 with 9 tries scored, all by our backs. After the last gasp win last weekend out in Galway, where another of our wing sensations scored a hat trick of tries, he scored another 2 today.

It seems whenever Daf Howells, Keelan Giles, Jay Bakey, Tom O'flaherty take the field, they cant stop scoring.  I understand we've played a lot of weak teams this season but still you can only play whats in front of you.

My question would be, do we not renew Eli Walkers contract? and give more game time to the other wingers who dont seem less brittle than Walker

I think it all comes down to cost TR, considering we have the likes of Hassler, John and Dirksen as well, with only John able to play in another position to a decent level, it does seem a lot. Then again it was only in the very recent past that we've had to play scrum halves in that position, it is quite a juggling act, I'm glad it is not me having to make that decision.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 7:15 pm

Well it's the BIGGEST game of the season coming up, and our fortunes will probably depend on when Rhodri Jones enters the fray, or if Rob Evans is still on, I expect it to be very tight up until at least the hour mark, a respected Scarlet supporter (if there are any) on our board is expecting very little change in the team that started last weeks game. We should also field probably our strongest available squad. I'm hoping for the following.
Dan Evans, Keelan Giles, Kieron Fonotia, Ashley Beck, Dafydd Howells, Sam Davies, Brendon Leonard, Paul James, Sam Parry, Ma'afu Fia, AWJ, Rory Thornton, Sam Underhill, Justin Tipuric and Dan Baker with Scott Baldwin, Nicky Smith, Rhodri Jones, Lloyd Ashley, James King, Tom Habberfield, Dan Biggar and Josh Matavesi on the bench.
All the replacements injury permitting, except for Jones and Ashley to start the following game against the Dragons, I'd have James starting at loose head because I think he is a slightly better scrummager than Nicky, because we are liable to be under a fair amount of pressure on our tight head so our loose head will have to try and even the pressure up, and I would start Brendon for his abrasiveness around the fringes at scrum half, Tom's speed around the fringes will be needed late on.
This will probably be the first serious game at the Liberty that we wont get a try Bonus Point, but 4 will be plenty for me, and I'm not sure we'll even get that.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 10:23 am

With nearly 17000 confirmed ticket sales at close of business last night, and people buying at the rate of over 500 per day, with a decent weather forecast and with a decent walk up on the day it should be close to a sell out. Let's just hope the match can justify the crowd.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Mon 26 Dec 2016, 12:23 pm

Ospreys selected team is
Sam Davies, Keelan Giles, Ashley Beck, Josh Matavesi, Dan Evans, Dan Biggar, Brendon Leonard, Nicky Smith, Sam Parry, Ma'afu Fia, AWJ (C), Rory Thornton, James King, Justin Tipuric and Dan Baker with Scott Baldwin, Paul James, Rhodri Jones, Lloyd Ashley, Olly Cracknell, Sam Underhill, Tom Habberfield and Kieron Fonotia on the bench.

7 - 2 on the bench, and the back 3 combination is the interesting selections, Tandy is expecting a helluva back row battle, and must think those 2 can cover all back options. Is there enough speed available if either of the wings get seriously injured? I don't know although Fonotia was bought as a Centre/wing.

It really is showing our game plan, we are NOT going to play conservatively with that selection, hope it comes off Steve.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame on Tue 27 Dec 2016, 1:02 am

6/2?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Tue 27 Dec 2016, 10:31 am

RiscaGame wrote:6/2?
Yes you are quite right Rev, that's my senility raising its nasty head again Rolling Eyes

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame on Tue 27 Dec 2016, 11:16 am

Think today is going to be a cracking game. Really looking forward to it.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Tue 27 Dec 2016, 8:53 pm

Well what to make of that game today? For a start we could be playing till now and the much vaunted Scarlets backs still wouldn't be anywhere near a try. Probably the best signing we've made for the last few years is Defence Coach Brad Davis.

What a COLOSSUS AWJ is, after the misfortunes that has hit him this year, to keep on coming back with the type of performance like today, he is a credit to himself, his family, his Region and his Country

Dan Biggar goes over the 2000 point mark for the Ospreys, the first Regional player to accomplish the feat, truly remarkable by that fine young man, what is most remarkable about that feat is that the nearest 2 to him are barely over 1000. He could even afford to miss a sitter today and still complete the mark.

A very physical game, that basically we won, with most of our carriers breaking the gain line regularly, there was one good hit on Dan Baker that drove him back, but he constantly beat the gain line other than that, Nicky Smith was also very impressive in his loose work as well as tight, where he had a great battle with Samson, and I also tend to agree with AWJ when he questioned the interpretation of the Ref when he was sanctioning Fia when it should have been Rob Evans, his loose arm looked as though he was on a fruit machine, and if he wasn't doing that he was boring in like an heading driver in an old coal mine.

A very pleasing win in the circumstances.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 8:47 pm

I think the vast majority of the 23 on duty against the Scarlets will be there or thereabouts for this weekends game against the Dragons, we've underestimated them in the past and paid the price. I expect the majority of the bench to start on Sunday, and just hope that one left out is Rhodri Jones, he was involved in 3 scrums the other day and gave away 2 penalties and a free kick.
Steve Tandy in his post match press conference said the squad will be used in the next few matches, could be that the experiment of Sam Davies at full back could do with a bit of a rest, perhaps him to 10 and Dan on the bench, I don't think we'll rest AWJ, Ashley might start with him, and have either Rory or Adam Beard on the bench.
Whatever team we'll put out, it will not be a try fest, as I said before the Scarlets game 4 match points will do for me.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 12:25 pm

Ospreys giving total respect to the Dragons with a very strong squad selected, which is only right in my eyes
Sam Davies, Dafydd Howells, Kieron Fonotia, Josh Matavesi, Dan Evans, Dan Biggar, Tom Habberfield, Paul James, Scott Baldwin, Ma'afu Fia, Lloyd Ashley, AWJ, Olly Cracknell, James King with Sam Parry, Nicky Smith, Rhodri Jones, Rory Thornton, Sam Underhill, Dan Baker, Brendon Leonard and Hanno Dirksen on the bench. Another 6-2 split on the bench, there are only 2 alterations in the matchday 23, Dafydd Howells and Hanno Dirksen coming in for Keelan Giles and Ashley Beck with neither missing through injury.

Looking forward to visiting RP for the first time to watch a Rugby match.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 9:45 pm

Shame about the weather but glad about the result.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 9:56 pm

Haven't been able to log on in ages. First off congratulations for the west Wales derby.

As for the Dragons game, to be fair you can only play what your given. And win is a win.

ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 10:03 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Haven't been able to log on in ages.  First off congratulations for the west Wales derby.

As for the Dragons game, to be fair you can only play what your given.  And win is a win.

I was wondering what had happened SS, good to have you back.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 10:12 pm

I've been reading but I did an update on my phone and iPad and for some reason I couldn't log in. Probably for the best, saved me from predicting drubbing you boys and ending up with egg in my face l Whistle

ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 1:41 am

I think we did well in that game Spidey.

Scarlett's are a good team, it didn't click for you as well as you hoped but your not having a bad season despite not really living up to everyone's expectations.

It's going to be interesting to see if both west Wales teams can stay in the top four now

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 12:04 pm

I think Scarlets will get top six but not playoffs, the Ospreys will get a playoff spot.

On a side note but how average does JD2 look? Going to France has not improved his game

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 12:05 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I've been reading but I did an update on my phone and iPad and for some reason I couldn't log in.  Probably for the best, saved me from predicting drubbing you boys and ending up with egg in my face l Whistle

I have the same issue, how did you resolve it?  

Can only use the desktop at work

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 12:16 pm

For some reason Edinburgh play Munster in February and not this weekend so a home win against Connacht on Saturday would mean we go top for at least a month! Which is amazing considering where we were a year ago.

Last year I was sticking up for Tandy when he was getting a hammering from certain posters but I wouldnt swap him or his team for any of the other regions coaches

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 10:31 pm

TR, Munster are playing their rearranged ECC game v Racing, so that took precedence over the League game.

I have the same issue on IOS. Tend to use the google app now for here, if not on a PC. Then I don't have to log in as often.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 9:56 am

True Raven wrote:For some reason Edinburgh play Munster in February and not this weekend so a home win against Connacht on Saturday would mean we go top for at least a month!  Which is amazing considering where we were a year ago.  

Last year I was sticking up for Tandy when he was getting a hammering from certain posters but I wouldnt swap him or his team for any of the other regions coaches

TR, if that final sentence is aimed at me among others, then let me just say a lot of the criticism that was aimed at him last year was warranted, his insistence on playing crap scrummagers (Jarvis), undersized 2nd rows (Ashley), back rows in the 2nd row. In ALL 3 examples there were viable alternatives available. It appears that apart from the final example above he is still making the same mistakes. Look at Sundays game how many times was Ashley outjumped when Thornton was on the bench and Adam Beard is fit. FFS Beard is about 5 inches taller than Ashley, and this nonsensical experiment with Rhodri Jones is going to hurt us badly very soon, he has had scrum coaches like Danny Wilson and whoever took over from him at the Scarlets, the Welsh setup coaches, and Tandy and company think they can do better. I think in the last 10 or so scrums he has been penalised at least 8 times.
Have to agree with you on the Coaching expertise in the Regions, even the so called experts on here who said Danny Wilson would outshine Steve and company have gone very quiet lately.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 10:34 am

wayne wrote:
True Raven wrote:For some reason Edinburgh play Munster in February and not this weekend so a home win against Connacht on Saturday would mean we go top for at least a month!  Which is amazing considering where we were a year ago.  

TR, if that final sentence is aimed at me among others, then let me just say a lot of the criticism that was aimed at him last year was warranted, his insistence on playing crap scrummagers (Jarvis), undersized 2nd rows (Ashley), back rows in the 2nd row. In ALL 3 examples there were viable alternatives available. It appears that apart from the final example above he is still making the same mistakes. Look at Sundays game how many times was Ashley outjumped when Thornton was on the bench and Adam Beard is fit. FFS Beard is about 5 inches taller than Ashley, and this nonsensical experiment with Rhodri Jones is going to hurt us badly very soon, he has had scrum coaches like Danny Wilson and whoever took over from him at the Scarlets, the Welsh setup coaches, and Tandy and company think they can do better. I think in the last 10 or so scrums he has been penalised at least 8 times.
Have to agree with you on the Coaching expertise in the Regions, even the so called experts on here who said Danny Wilson would outshine Steve and company have gone very quiet lately.  

Wasn't aimed at you Wayne. No coach is perfect and will be stubborn in their selection and beliefs but last year there were posts that he wasn't a good coach, Pivac and Wilson were superior and the Ospreys could do so much better. I'd like to think people may have changed their opinions

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 6:10 pm

True Raven wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:I've been reading but I did an update on my phone and iPad and for some reason I couldn't log in.  Probably for the best, saved me from predicting drubbing you boys and ending up with egg in my face l Whistle

I have the same issue, how did you resolve it?  

Can only use the desktop at work

Updated to 10.2 and tried again. Fingers crossed it helps.

ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 9:44 pm

It is hard work at the moment trying to second guess Steve Tandy on his rotation policy for this important group of games, there were a couple of pull outs before the Dragons game from the starting team, and the bench. Dan Baker didn't even travel to Rodney Parade with a stomach bug, but apparently is fully recovered, I expect him to start, the conundrum for me is does he include Rhodri Jones on the bench, or does he give Dan Suter a chance. I think Sam Davies could start at 10 for this match, giving Dan a bit of a rest, and I hope Alun Wyn has one as well.
My team would be Dan Evans, Keelan Giles, Ashley Beck, Josh Matavesi, Dafydd Howells, Sam Davies, Tom Habberfield, Nicky Smith, Sam Parry, Ma'afu Fia, Rory Thornton, Adam Beard, Olly Cracknell, Sam Underhill and Dan Baker with Scott Otten, Paul James, Dan Suter, AWJ, Justin Tipuric, Brendon Leonard, Dan Biggar and Kieron Fonotia on the bench. That pack back 5 is very inexperienced, so a sprinkling of experienced players will probably be selected, there are a few of that lot experiencing niggles and could be left out, including Giles, Matavesi, Howells and Fonotia.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 11:34 pm

Will see soon I guess

Nice team though could do well

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 12:20 pm

wayne wrote:It is hard work at the moment trying to second guess Steve Tandy on his rotation policy for this important group of games, there were a couple of pull outs before the Dragons game from the starting team, and the bench. Dan Baker didn't even travel to Rodney Parade with a stomach bug, but apparently is fully recovered, I expect him to start, the conundrum for me is does he include Rhodri Jones on the bench, or does he give Dan Suter a chance. I think Sam Davies could start at 10 for this match, giving Dan a bit of a rest, and I hope Alun Wyn has one as well.
My team would be Dan Evans, Keelan Giles, Ashley Beck, Josh Matavesi, Dafydd Howells, Sam Davies, Tom Habberfield, Nicky Smith, Sam Parry, Ma'afu Fia, Rory Thornton, Adam Beard, Olly Cracknell, Sam Underhill and Dan Baker with Scott Otten, Paul James, Dan Suter, AWJ, Justin Tipuric, Brendon Leonard, Dan Biggar and Kieron Fonotia  on the bench. That pack back 5 is very inexperienced, so a sprinkling of experienced players will probably be selected, there are a few of that lot experiencing niggles and could be left out, including Giles, Matavesi, Howells and Fonotia.

I'm getting better at this selection job, apart from Giles missing through injury and Dirksen taking his place I got the backs selection spot on, the 2nd row completely wrong with AWJ and Ashley in with Beard on the bench and Tips instead of Underhill the back row is correct, I see we are still sticking with the ridiculous experiment of Rhodri Jones as a tight head, just have to hope Buckley is taken off before Jones comes on

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Fri 06 Jan 2017, 6:30 pm

Congratulations are in order for Hanno Dirksen when he leads out the Ospreys tomorrow on the day of his 100th appearance, I'd be prepared to say he would have been capped by Wales, if not for 2 horrendous knee injuries and operations. He would run through a brick wall for us if asked to do so, he will get a standing ovation from me and many more, a true Ospreylian.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 5:37 pm

Comprehensive victory which was never in doubt after the first quarter, some free flowing passing and movement had Connacht grasping for air and players. Our backrow was sublime, any one of the three could have been MOTM, it was given to Dan Baker, but personally I would have given it to last weeks MOTM Olly Cracknell. To think there was an idiot on this board a few months ago that derided Dan Baker for making very few tackles and never breaking the gain line, he even took at least two lineouts today. There is quite a tussle going on at the moment for the 10 jersey, Sam did himself no harm today with his passing and tactical kicking of the highest order.

I said a few weeks ago about our attacking intentions, whether close to the tight or in the wide channels, we've seen more moves in the last month or so, than we've seen from Howley in 8 years, and the person responsible has not been mentioned in any form from the AIs right through to the South Sea jaunt next year, let me just say I'm really pleased that he (Gruff Rees) is being left with us.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 5:57 pm

wayne wrote:To think there was an idiot on this board a few months ago that derided Dan Baker for making very few tackles and never breaking the gain line, he even took at least two lineouts today.

I was tarred and feathered not so long back for suggesting that Wales use him as a no. 8 instead of putting flankers in at no. 8. Faletau is injured, Dan Baker should be playing 8 for Wales in the 6N.

People were even saying that Ardron was keeping Baker out, until Ospreys played decent opposition out in Leinster and Ardron struggled, anyone could shine against the Italian sides. Dan Baker has grabbed that shirt with both hands, he is the standout 8 in Wales. He has not had a bad game since he got his place back.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 6:37 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
wayne wrote:To think there was an idiot on this board a few months ago that derided Dan Baker for making very few tackles and never breaking the gain line, he even took at least two lineouts today.

I was tarred and feathered not so long back for suggesting that Wales use him as a no. 8 instead of putting flankers in at no. 8. Faletau is injured, Dan Baker should be playing 8 for Wales in the 6N.

People were even saying that Ardron was keeping Baker out, until Ospreys played decent opposition out in Leinster and Ardron struggled, anyone could shine against the Italian sides. Dan Baker has grabbed that shirt with both hands, he is the standout 8 in Wales. He has not had a bad game since he got his place back.

Lord do you remember who the idiot was? Let me just add if I was selecting our team and everyone was fit, it would have to be Tyler, but you are quite correct, he has grabbed it with both hands, the problem Steve has who to select in that back row when everyone is fit.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 6:55 pm

wayne wrote:Lord do you remember who the idiot was?

Yes, it was saint/mike dragon/uncle nige.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 7:01 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

He is not the one, I'm thinking of, it's your big mate:furious:

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 7:11 pm

It's just been announced our forwards coach Chris Gibbes is leaving at the end of this season, to become Head Coach at ITM side Wellington Lions, a very likeable person who is always willing to have a chat with the supporters, thanks for the memories Chris and all the best for your future.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 7:12 pm

wayne wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

stone motif was another, as was risca. It is on the the Wales thread on the international section if you want to look at it. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 7:35 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
wayne wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

stone motif was another, as was risca. It is on the the Wales thread on the international section if you want to look at it. OK

Yes it was the first name mentioned.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 11:07 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
wayne wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Prove that then, or apologise. Every post I've made is on here. I'm calling lies

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 11:08 pm

Well done Os. Sam Davies at ten is a gem, by the sounds again. Plus Cracknell on fire again.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 2:57 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
wayne wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

Prove that then, or apologise. Every post I've made is on here. I'm calling lies

Funny that

http://www.606v2.com/t64020-wales-2016-17-season

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 4:26 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Well done Os. Sam Davies at ten is a gem, by the sounds again. Plus Cracknell on fire again.

Sneaked the BP at the death Rev, should have had it a lot earlier, and your right Cracknell is on fire ATM, the only problem for me is with some of these fringe players excelling will it hit us at 6N time?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 8:16 am

Risca, I do not want to de-rail the Ospreys thread, but just to let you know, the mods cleaned up that thread and took all the comments off it. Mikey Dragon ended up with a ban, and he then changed his user name, again.

If I was wrong I apologise, but I think we should just leave it as that. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 11:49 am

LordDowlais wrote:Risca, I do not want to de-rail the Ospreys thread

Why stop at derailing just the Dragons thread? Rolling Eyes

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 12:07 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Risca, I do not want to de-rail the Ospreys thread

Why stop at derailing just the Dragons thread? Rolling Eyes

I have not de-railed the Dragons thread.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:54 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum