The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who have you got? Joshua Vs Wilder

+10
RanjitPatel
Valero's Conscience
Rowley
hazharrison
Mr Bounce
ShahenshahG
catchweight
Hammersmith harrier
mobilemaster8
Pound-for-Pound
14 posters

Go down

Who have you got? Joshua Vs Wilder Empty Who have you got? Joshua Vs Wilder

Post by Pound-for-Pound Sun 17 Jul 2016, 4:10 pm

Having watched their most recent fights who would you pick to win should they meet this year?

Both guys fought opponents they were expected to beat and both did so comfortably. However, as much as I've mocked him for his novice looking punching and clumsiness Wilder looked sharp, fast and relaxed. Whereas I felt Joshua was slow, lacked explosiveness and accuracy, was one-paced and predictable. Although I still consider him more technically well-rounded (lack of head movement and foot speed still worry me though)

Don't get me wrong, I still think Wilder's approach to defence will get him KOd in this matchup but after watching their most recent bouts i would be less surprised if he pulled the victory out.

Who you got?

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Who have you got? Joshua Vs Wilder Empty Re: Who have you got? Joshua Vs Wilder

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 17 Jul 2016, 7:16 pm

Wilder KO.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 17 Jul 2016, 7:49 pm

Joshua within 3.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Jul 2016, 8:26 pm

I would take Wilder. He looks like a more well rounded fighter at the moment.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 17 Jul 2016, 8:56 pm

Not much in it. Will go with hammer josh in 3 because he hits straighter than wilder.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 17 Jul 2016, 9:03 pm

I think that this fight has as much likelihood of being made as me vs Wilder right now. 
Joshua may still be a relative novice but his basics are sound and he has brutal power. Wilder is, as stated above, much more relaxed and moved well but let's face it Arreola has all the movement of a supertanker with its anchors down so Wilder could practically do as he pleased. 
I actually think it would be much closer than many think, as both seem to relish the big occasion and can also follow a game plan. Thing is, both need live opponents and both are protected. 
Gun to my head I would say Joshua due to defence, but that's no certainty.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 17 Jul 2016, 9:44 pm

Joshua would take him to the cleaners. His ordered, no frills punching would wreck Wilder (who is all over the place). Wilder would do better against Fury (who I think beats Joshua!).

Be great if the fights came off.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Jul 2016, 9:51 pm

Joshua might have more to him than has been shown so far. Hard to say against the kind of opponents he has been in with. Wilder has put in the more accomplished performances so far. His ability to box on the back foot, control range and his movement looks superior to anything I have seen Joshua do. I can see Wilders boxing at range and his movement giving him the advantage. There is a caginess to his boxing that Joshua doesnt seem to have yet. It doesnt really matter against the likes of Arreola or Breazele basic opponents. I think it would offer him an advantage against better boxers though.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 17 Jul 2016, 10:08 pm

I actually think Wilder is improving, hard to read too much into last night, because as mentioned Arrelola hardly provided an elusive target but their were positives. He actually fights to his size so keeps a good distance, hits with his jab rather than just paws with it and seems to have decent enough power. So hard to call any fights with any great confidence because neither have really fought much opposition wise. Would probably lean towards Joshua but Wilder is better than anything he had faced so far and getting better.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 17 Jul 2016, 10:22 pm

Wilder has improved substantially I think. He was undermatched for a long time though. A bit like Fury, he is struggling to shake his image from a years ago where looked quite clumsy, even though from what I have seen in the last couple of year its probably Wilder and Fury who are canniest boxers and best movers in the division. I cant see a fight with Joshua being in play anytime soon. The most dangerous opponent on Joshua menu's in the next 6 months looks like its probably Parker. Who actually reminds me a bit of the raw version of Wilder that was around a few years ago.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 18 Jul 2016, 1:59 pm

Both are still untested IMO and both have obvious flaws that any top 20 HW in the past would exploit to win.

Wilder at times struggles with very poor opponents and Joshua looks very stiff to me i.e. too much muscle.

At present, I'd pick Wilder but both aren't special boxers.

They could both achieve greatness later in their career but for now, the hype for both is premature.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Mon 18 Jul 2016, 6:14 pm

Joshua wins by early ko. That's not to say I don't rate Wilder, because I do. I just think Wilder would go straight on the back foot and get caught with something early. Either could stop the other but I think Joshua is a bad match up for Wilder.

I'd give Wilder a much better chance of beating Fury whereas I'd fancy Fury to beat Joshua. We'll have a long wait for any of thelse to come to fruition.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 18 Jul 2016, 10:20 pm

Joshua ko1 or 2.....Wilder is chicken legged and distinctly average...Tubbs, Page and Tim would have played with him..

As for Arreola get back on that night club door...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 19 Jul 2016, 10:10 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Joshua ko1 or 2.....Wilder is chicken legged and distinctly average...Tubbs, Page and Tim would have played with him..

As for Arreola get back on that night club door...

How would Joshua do in the golden era of 80's?? A poor mans Bruno??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 19 Jul 2016, 11:24 am

Poor man's Bruno. I love the rose-tinted spectacles of history.

Interesting how many like wilder v Joshua. Wilder does look like he's improved, from the wild swinger we saw earlier in his career.

I do think wilder is better than many thought, and no result would shock me here, two big hitting heavies, both faster than their size suggests. Josh just looks a stronger man and whilst wilder could spark him, or could back foot his way to a points win, the most likely outcome for me is AJ walks him down and flattens him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 19 Jul 2016, 11:54 am

[quote="milkyboy"]Poor man's Bruno. I love the rose-tinted spectacles of history.

I made that statement in jest!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 19 Jul 2016, 12:18 pm

I know, Adam. We've heard it said though!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 19 Jul 2016, 1:20 pm

Wilder is underestimated on here big time. I would still pick AJ, but Deontay has a good right hand (when not injured) and quite athletic.

He is a bit wild (pardon the pun) but he could cause problems for any heavyweight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 19 Jul 2016, 4:07 pm

Underrated...All he's done is look sloppy against stiffs with his chicken legs...

Never said Josh was worse than Frank..But I do think Frank would knock out straight line Wlad in one or two rounds...Corrie showed if you punch straight and hard it's over..

If you thought Fury was a joke before Wlad I don't see any reason to change your mind..

Klit bottled it...Terrorised by the fact he had to fight someone his own size...

Back to Wilder...Sloppy..ungainly..no legs.....Pick every champion from the 80s including Gerrie to beat him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jul 2016, 10:28 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Underrated...All he's done is look sloppy against stiffs with his chicken legs...

Never said Josh was worse than Frank..But I do think Frank would knock out straight line Wlad in one or two rounds...Corrie showed if you punch straight and hard it's over..

If you thought Fury was a joke before Wlad I don't see any reason to change your mind..

Klit bottled it...Terrorised by the fact he had to fight someone his own size...

Back to Wilder...Sloppy..ungainly..no legs.....Pick every champion from the 80s including Gerrie to beat him..

You're too harsh when it suits you. FFS I'm sure at least one of Wlad's previous opponents knows how to punch in a straight line.

You would think the 80's was the golden era of heavyweights. If the 80's were so special, then Tyson and Holmes must be the greatest ever.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Jul 2016, 10:30 am

AdamT wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Underrated...All he's done is look sloppy against stiffs with his chicken legs...

You're too harsh when it suits you. FFS I'm sure at least one of Wlad's previous opponents knows how to punch in a straight line.

You would think the 80's was the golden era of heavyweights. If the 80's were so special, then Tyson and Holmes must be the greatest ever.

They were.. Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jul 2016, 10:33 am

I reckon the 90's era trumps the fat sh1ts from the 80's. Excluding Tyson and Holmes, Lewis, Bowe and Holyfield would beat all them guys.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jul 2016, 10:40 am

Serious question. Why do you always bring up sanders to discredit Wlad? Anybody that follows boxing, can see that Wlad is a different fighter since. Very cautious/boring, but gets the job done.

He isn't near as bad as you make him out to be.

You reek of double standards Truss.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Jul 2016, 11:41 am

Sanders wasn't a fat useless stiff...and anyone that watches Wlad knows he's a straight line spoiler..

You punch hard and straight he's clueless..

Bruno would have killed him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jul 2016, 12:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Sanders wasn't a fat useless stiff...and anyone that watches Wlad knows he's a straight line spoiler..

You punch hard and straight he's clueless..

Bruno would have killed him..

That's your opinion, fair enough.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 20 Jul 2016, 12:30 pm

Not sure who I would make favourite. I am on the fence with Bruno and Wlad.

Definitely think Vitali would beat Bruno in a tough fight. I do rate Frank.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 21 Jul 2016, 12:33 am

I would give Bruno a good shot at beating Klitschko but would wager on it being a slow burning fencing match that goes to the later rounds or to the cards. Lots of jabbing and grabbing, neither man commiting to many big shots. I dont think they are bad style for each other though. They are both comfortable against uncomplicated and predictable boxers that they can try and control with their jab.

I think they struggle with speedier and craftier boxers who can move well. Klitschko was blown away by Sanders southpaw stance and fast hands.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Jul 2016, 2:02 am

If Dillian Whyte was able to rock Joshua then I think Wilder can knock him out.  Joshua is still developing.

I hope Tyson Fury sorts out his attitude and knuckles down to life as a professional boxer - but he gives the impression he is ready to retire to become a bar-room singer and stand up comic.

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 27 Jul 2016, 10:53 pm

No one can say. Neither fighter has boxed a fighter as good as the other. Looking foward to it though. Both have great offense (power, at least) so defense and stamina will be the deciding factor in this one.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down