Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Fri 22 Jul 2016, 2:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Scarlets pre-season friendlies 2016/17    
Sat 13th Aug 15:00 Exeter vs Scarlets Sandy Park, Exeter  
Sat 20th Aug TBC Scarlets vs Bath Parc Eirias, Colwyn Bay  
     
Fixture List      
Sat 3rd Sep 15:00 Scarlets vs Munster Parc-y-Scarlets, Llanelli Sky
Fri 9th Sep 19:35 Edinburgh vs Scarlets Murrayfield, Edinburgh BBC Alba
Fri 16th Sep 19:05 Ulster vs Scarlets Kingspan Stadium, Belfast BBC2W
Sat 24th Sep 19:35 Scarlets vs ConnachtParc-y-Scarlets, Llanelli S4C
Sat 1st Oct 19:05 Treviso vs Scarlets Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Treviso  
Sat 8th Oct 19:35 Scarlets vs Dragons Parc-y-Scarlets, Llanelli S4C
Oct 14th - 16th  Europe 1    
Oct 21st - 23th  Europe 2    
Fri 28th Oct 19:35 Cardiff vs Scarlets BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff BBC2W
Sat 5th Nov 19:35 Scarlets vs Glasgow Parc-y-Scarlets, Llanelli S4C
Nov 5th  TBC Anglo-Welsh 1    
Nov 12th  Anglo-Welsh 2    
Fri 25th Nov 19:35 Scarlets vs Leinster Parc-y-Scarlets, Llanelli BBC2W
Sat 3rd Dec 14:05 Zebre vs Scarlets Stadio XXV Aprile, Parma  
Dec 9th - 11th  Europe 3    
Dec 16th - 18th  Europe 4    
Tue 27th Dec 15:00 Ospreys vs Scarlets Liberty Stadium, Swansea Sky/S4C
Sun 1st Jan 15:00 Scarlets vs Cardiff Parc-y-Scarlets, Llanelli Sky/S4C
Fri 6th Jan 19:35 Scarlets vs Ulster Parc-y-Scarlets, Llanelli BBC2W
Jan 13th - 15th  Europe 5    
Jan 20th - 22nd  Europe 6    
Jan 27th - 29th  Anglo-Welsh 3    
Feb 3rd - 5th  Anglo-Welsh 4    
Feb 10th - 11th   Glasgow vs Scarlets Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow  
Feb 17th - 18th  Scarlets vs Zebre Parc-y-Scarlets, Llanelli  
Feb 24th - 25th  Munster vs Scarlets TBC  
Mar 3rd - 4th  Leinster vs Scarlets RDS Arena, Dublin  
Mar 24th - 25th  Scarlets vs Edinburgh Parc-y-Scarlets, Llanelli  
Apr 7th - 8th  Scarlets vs Treviso Parc-y-Scarlets, Llanelli  
Sat 15th Apr 17:15 Dragons vs Scarlets Principality Stadium, Cardiff Sky/S4C
Apr 28th - 29th  Connacht vs Scarlets Sportsground, Galway  
Sat 6th May 17:15 Scarlets vs Ospreys Parc-y-Scarlets, Llanelli  


Squad

Rob Evans Prop
Werner Kruger Prop
Samson Lee Prop Dual Contract
Peter Edwards  Prop
Will Taylor Prop
Dylan Evans Prop  
Taylor Davies Prop    
Wyn Jones Prop

Ken Owens Hooker
Emyr Phillips Hooker
Ryan Elias Hooker    
Dafydd Hughes Hooker
 
Jake Ball Lock Dual Contract  
David Bulbring Lock
Rynier Bernardo Lock
Tom Price Lock
Josh Helps Lock    
Tadhg Beirne Lock/Flanker
Lewis Rawlins Lock/Flanker  
 
John Barclay Flanker
Aaron Shingler Flanker
James Davies Flanker    
Will Boyde Flanker    
Josh MacLeod Flanker    
Tom Phillips Flanker    
Shaun Evans Flanker  
Morgan Allen Number 8  
Jack Condy Number 8  

Aled Davies Scrum-half  
Gareth Davies Scrum-half
Jonathan Evans Scrum-half    

Rhys Patchell Fly-half    
Aled Thomas Fly-half
Dan Jones Fly-half    

Scott Williams Centre  
Jonathan Davies Centre Dual Contract
Hadleigh Parkes Centre
Gareth Owen Centre
Steffan Hughes Centre    
Matthew Owen Centre  
 
DTH Van Der Merwe Wing
Tom Williams Wing  
Richard Smith Wing  
Johnny McNicholl Wing/ Fullback
Steffan Evans Wing / Fullback    
Liam Williams Fullback  
       
Coaches      
Wayne Pivac Head Coach  
Stephen Jones  Attack Coach    
Byron Hayward Defence Coach    
Garan Evans Team Manager    
Ioan Cunningham Set Piece Coach
avatar
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9709
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 33
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down


Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Seagultaf on Thu 12 Jan 2017, 7:35 pm

Who are Scarlets likely to play in their back three next season with Sanjay and DTH both leaving? Can't see McNichol playing 15 much after the game he had against Ulster, will this be where Steff Evans ends up?
What about the Scarlets youngsters, are there any ready to make the step up, or will they be back to playing Aled Thomas at fullback and Gareth Owen on the wing?

Seagultaf

Posts : 1403
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 8:42 am

I think fullback will be between Steff and McNichol, with Tom Williams, Aled Thomas, Patchel (with Dan Jones at ten), Gareth Owen, and Dion Jones as squad cover. Part of me is hoping that McNichol's performance against Ulster was down to still settling in (leaving balls for Steff to pick up), and also being 'tired' after a very long season so far, we have to wait to see how he goes after a summer off.

On the wing we have whoever doesn't play fullback, plus Tom Williams, Steff Hughes and Parkes (i know Hughes and Parkes are centres) who have played on the wing for us already. Then there is Richard Smith (who has played there for the Blues), and also the promising youngsters like Ryan Conbeer, Nicholas (Nigel Owens' nephew), and another one whose name escapes me right now. I have been impressed by Conbeer from the bits of him I have seen, for his age he seemed pretty decent. And Nicholas has didn't seem too shabby either. The good thing is Tom Williams looked pretty good when he was playing regular last year, so hopefully he will be able to give the kids time to develope rather than them being thrown in the deep end.

When you lose players like DaiTh and Sanj it is unlikely you will replace them with players of a similar standard. I think I sort of agree with Pivac that we could use our freed up cash to help strengthen elsewhere, and give the kids a shot.
avatar
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9709
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 33
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Seagultaf on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 9:52 am

Pity Scarlets can't pick up one of the Ospreys or Dragons back three players as they both seem to currently have a surplus. It would be better for Welsh rugby if they could get regular game time at PYS.

Seagultaf

Posts : 1403
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Guest on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 10:20 am

I'm all for getting players game time and not stock piling, Seagultaf. But I can't see that the Dragons have a surplus really? Who were you thinking might be surplus?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Seagultaf on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 10:44 am

Griff wrote:I'm all for getting players game time and not stock piling, Seagultaf. But I can't see that the Dragons have a surplus really? Who were you thinking might be surplus?

Amos and Hewitt are both outstanding young Dragons products, Prydie has been bought in from Ospreys and the two South Africans; Meyer and Howard all 5 are top back three players who could command a first choice place alongside McNichols and Steff Evans next season. I am sure there are others as well, including The excellent Hughes and Warren who can play effectively in the back three. Whereas the Scarlets next season will be back to playing Aled Thomas at 15 and Gareth Owen on the wing!


Seagultaf

Posts : 1403
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by wayne on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 10:56 am

[quote="Seagultaf"]
Griff wrote:I'm all for getting players game time and not stock piling, Seagultaf. But I can't see that the Dragons have a surplus really? Who were you thinking might be surplus?

Amos and Hewitt are both outstanding young Dragons products, Prydie has been bought in from Ospreys and the two South Africans; Meyer and Howard all 5 are top back three players who could command a first choice place alongside McNichols and Steff Evans next season. I am sure there are others as well, including The excellent Hughes and Warren who can play effectively in the back three. Whereas the Scarlets next season will be back to playing Aled Thomas at 15 and Gareth Owen on the wing!

Seagultaf, I think there will be a Welsh International with a bit of an injury record available at seasons end from us, and there might be a couple of others who are far superior to the two you mention.

wayne

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Guest on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 11:26 am

Seagultaf wrote:
Griff wrote:I'm all for getting players game time and not stock piling, Seagultaf. But I can't see that the Dragons have a surplus really? Who were you thinking might be surplus?

Amos and Hewitt are both outstanding young Dragons products, Prydie has been bought in from Ospreys and the two South Africans; Meyer and Howard all 5 are top back three players who could command a first choice place alongside McNichols and Steff Evans next season. I am sure there are others as well, including The excellent Hughes and Warren who can play effectively in the back three. Whereas the Scarlets next season will be back to playing Aled Thomas at 15 and Gareth Owen on the wing!


Taking into account injuries though I'd say that need all of those players, especially as Warren is one of our better centres. Hughes hasn't really had a look in since he returned from England so he might be surplus. But that might be because he hasn't hit the heights of old, so may not be such a good proposition for you.

Prydie has been great for us in the past, and top points scorer at one point as he has a good boot. However, he's another that's seen his game time limited a bit so might be surplus I suppose.

My concern with the Dragons is that Amos, Dixon and Tyler Morgan are all very injury prone at a young age so we need to keep a good supply of reserves to make sure we're covered. Actually Warren and Beard have probably been our best centre partnership this season as Morgan and Dixon have featured very little.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by RiscaGame on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 12:50 pm

Hughes has been concussed since pre-season (well recovering from being then haha). I thought he played a fair bit for us before that?

RiscaGame

Posts : 1577
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Guest on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 3:10 pm

Didn't know he was concussed Risca. Just thought he wasn't being picked. Was only talking about this season though really. Has he been concussed/recovering since the summer?! That's a long time out. In comparison to someone like North, etc. North's had about 3 in that time Wink


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by True Raven on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 3:47 pm

Who are the Ospreys stockpiling?

We have one full back in Dan Evans, who scarlets already released and we have eli walker, hanno Dirksen, Jeff hassler who are all injury prone and then youngsters Howells and Giles who have had opportunities because of the previous three wingers injury problems.

Corey Baldwin has a lot of hype as does ryan Conbeer. Why not give one of those game time like the Os have done with Giles and Howells and the Dragons have done with Amos and Hewitt

True Raven

Posts : 1011
Join date : 2015-12-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by RiscaGame on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 3:51 pm

Griff wrote:Didn't know he was concussed Risca. Just thought he wasn't being picked. Was only talking about this season though really. Has he been concussed/recovering since the summer?! That's a long time out. In comparison to someone like North, etc. North's had about 3 in that time Wink


Yeah, that's why he hasn't figured thus far. It's great that he has been managed, but it must've still been really bad to keep him out since Aug.

RiscaGame

Posts : 1577
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Seagultaf on Sat 14 Jan 2017, 9:53 pm

True Raven wrote:Who are the Ospreys stockpiling?

We have one full back in Dan Evans, who scarlets already released and we have eli walker, hanno Dirksen, Jeff hassler who are all injury prone and then youngsters Howells and Giles who have had opportunities because of the previous three wingers injury problems.

Corey Baldwin has a lot of hype as does ryan Conbeer.  Why not give one of those game time like the Os have done with Giles and Howells and the Dragons have done with Amos and Hewitt

Baldwin and Conbeer are 17 year old schoolboys, a bit young for first choice regional players don't you think? Ospreys have played youngster Giles but isn't he 19? And how many games would he have had if Eli, Dirksen and Hassler hadn't all been injured?

Seagultaf

Posts : 1403
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by True Raven on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 12:08 am

He's 18 but 19 at the end of this month.

That's exactly my point, Giles only had game time due to injuries to our wingers so I'm not sure what back three players you expect the Ospreys to give to the Scarlets as back three is where we are thin and had to blood young guys (who have excelled)

True Raven

Posts : 1011
Join date : 2015-12-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Seagultaf on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 10:59 am

I completely agree the Scarlets youngsters are ok for injury cover and the occasional game, but the likes of Walker, Howells and Prydie would get more game time at the Scarlets and a better chance of developing their potential.
Unless of course the Scarlets go out and buy in another overseas journeyman.

Seagultaf

Posts : 1403
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by St John The Enforcer on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 12:02 pm

Come on Scaaaahlets! Give these lads a bloody nose!

Edit: Saracens I mean btw.


Last edited by St John The Enforcer on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

St John The Enforcer

Posts : 287
Join date : 2013-05-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by True Raven on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 12:56 pm

Seagultaf wrote:I completely agree the Scarlets youngsters are ok for injury cover and the occasional game, but the likes of Walker, Howells and Prydie would get more game time at the Scarlets and a better chance of developing their potential.
Unless of course the Scarlets go out and buy in another overseas journeyman.

Walker is first choice if he is not injured (which he always tends to be) and Daf Howells has played 13 games this season scoring 7 tries so he's developing 'his potential' quite nicely considering he's only 21. Fail to see why the Ospreys have to hand over players due to the Scarlets inability to hold onto their players

True Raven

Posts : 1011
Join date : 2015-12-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Seagultaf on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 1:58 pm

True Raven wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:I completely agree the Scarlets youngsters are ok for injury cover and the occasional game, but the likes of Walker, Howells and Prydie would get more game time at the Scarlets and a better chance of developing their potential.
Unless of course the Scarlets go out and buy in another overseas journeyman.

Walker is first choice if he is not injured (which he always tends to be) and Daf Howells has played 13 games this season scoring 7 tries so he's developing 'his potential' quite nicely considering he's only 21.  Fail to see why the Ospreys have to hand over players due to the Scarlets inability to hold onto their players

There is no suggestion that Ospreys should "hand over" anyone, it's what's best for the players and the game in Wales. I think the Welsh Regions should work together on this, so that where there is the opportunity for Players with Wales potential (such as Rhodri Jones) to get more game time, then they should work together to achieve this. I am totally against any poaching or outbidding for any Regions players by another Welsh Region, there is little enough cash in the Welsh games and the regions should work together to ensure this happens.

On another point Raven, what do you think of the latest proposals by the Regions and WRU for reorganising the professional game, it seems to me that if this happens the redistribution of players is something that will happen anyway?

Seagultaf

Posts : 1403
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by St John The Enforcer on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 3:01 pm

Nooooooooo!

Good game though.

St John The Enforcer

Posts : 287
Join date : 2013-05-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by BigTrevsbigmac on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 3:07 pm

I suspect there may have been a different mom if the decision was made 90 secs later.

Good game agreed.

BigTrevsbigmac

Posts : 2836
Join date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by profitius on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 3:09 pm

Scarlets should have seen that out. Just got a bit panicky near the end.
avatar
profitius

Posts : 3887
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Heaf on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 3:23 pm

Good game - did anyone else think there was a bit of over acting by the Scarlets 7 at the end ...little tap to the face and he went down like a sack of spuds

Heaf

Posts : 2175
Join date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Rugby Fan on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 3:47 pm

Heaf wrote:Good game - did anyone else think there was a bit of over acting by the Scarlets 7 at the end ...little tap to the face and he went down like a sack of spuds
Some twitter reactions:

Still laughing at how easy cubbyboi went down after that slap. Equity card is on its way.
congrats on your performance today. A pathetic/theatrical reaction to a silly slap, behaviour which only hurts the game's honesty.
@cubbyboi has gone down quicker than a downhill skier ⛷ from that slap to the chops!
Etc etc

Austin Healey says he wants that kind of thing punished with a yellow.

Rugby Fan

Posts : 4526
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by BigTrevsbigmac on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 4:06 pm

Yes it was very theatrical & I agree needs to be gone from the game.

BigTrevsbigmac

Posts : 2836
Join date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by 2ndtimeround on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 4:52 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
Heaf wrote:Good game - did anyone else think there was a bit of over acting by the Scarlets 7 at the end ...little tap to the face and he went down like a sack of spuds
Some twitter reactions:

Still laughing at how easy cubbyboi went down after that slap. Equity card is on its way.
congrats on your performance today. A pathetic/theatrical reaction to a silly slap, behaviour which only hurts the game's honesty.
@cubbyboi has gone down quicker than a downhill skier ⛷ from that slap to the chops!
Etc etc

Austin Healey says he wants that kind of thing punished with a yellow.

Total and utter B0110cks, would you really expect any different from any sky or bt commentator than a remark aimed at sucking up to the English public,

Big money controls the game, end of.

2ndtimeround

Posts : 594
Join date : 2011-01-30
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Cyril on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 4:54 pm

It was a silly slap by Skelton but the 7 went down in instalments. Very poor.

I think it was him who Farrell made look a mug in the final move for Ashton's try so a nice bit of justice right there.

Cyril

Posts : 6110
Join date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by 2ndtimeround on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 4:55 pm

How is a punch just a yellow ?      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just curious you know, along with the 2 questionable penalties awarded after 80 mins to keep the game alive.


Last edited by 2ndtimeround on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

2ndtimeround

Posts : 594
Join date : 2011-01-30
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Cyril on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 4:57 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:How is a punch just a yellow ?      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you drunk? Laugh

It was an open-handed slap.

Cyril

Posts : 6110
Join date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by 2ndtimeround on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:03 pm

Cyril wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:How is a punch just a yellow ?      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you drunk? Laugh

It was an open-handed slap.

No not drunk , just home from the ground. it was an unprovoked attack that had noting to do with the play whichever way you want to dress it up, there should of been a yellow at least 30 mins before that for repeated infringements but I guess that only applies to certain teams. regardless I'm not really in the mood to get into a half arsed argument with the forums best known WUM so we'll leave it there I guess.

2ndtimeround

Posts : 594
Join date : 2011-01-30
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Cyril on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:06 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:
Cyril wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:How is a punch just a yellow ?      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you drunk? Laugh

It was an open-handed slap.

No not drunk , just home from the ground. it was an unprovoked attack that had noting to do with the play whichever way you want to dress it up, there should of been a yellow at least 30 mins before that for repeated infringements but I guess that only applies to certain teams. regardless I'm not really in the mood to get into a half arsed argument with the forums best known WUM so we'll leave it there I guess.
Skelton was being held back.

I guess it's whether you think feigning injury or giving someone a little slap is worse.

The conspiracy theory stuff doesn't do you any favours either.

Fair play to Scarlets, they were plucky, but you always felt Ashton would get another.

Cyril

Posts : 6110
Join date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by BigTrevsbigmac on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:07 pm

I think u should watch it again on tv & I think u will see it was an open handed slap at most.
The delayed reaction by red 7 was beyond pathetic.

BigTrevsbigmac

Posts : 2836
Join date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by 2ndtimeround on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:20 pm

Not got time to study the rules now but pretty sure been held is not justification for a punch but I guess it might be somewhere in the point point points!
No conspiracy theory, the TV commentators are notoriously targeted at the bigger teams regardless of what happens on the pitch, that's not just rugby its every sport you watch since the late 90's.

2ndtimeround

Posts : 594
Join date : 2011-01-30
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by 2ndtimeround on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:23 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:I think u should watch it again on tv & I think u will see it was an open handed slap at most.
The delayed reaction by red 7 was beyond pathetic.

Nah, he wouldn't do that, he's an Olympian!

Although I cant say I blame Cubby if he did with the decisions that were not been made for killing the ball on the ground.

2ndtimeround

Posts : 594
Join date : 2011-01-30
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by BigTrevsbigmac on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:28 pm


BigTrevsbigmac

Posts : 2836
Join date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Cyril on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:28 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:Not got time to study the rules now but pretty sure been held is not justification for a punch but I guess it might be somewhere in the point point points!
I didn't say it was justified, but you said it was unprovoked. It wasn't. There is a difference between an open-handed slap and a closed-fist punch. The ref originally said it was a penalty against Scarlets (for the holding) which was then reversed (for the slap).

Skelton probably deserved a yellow but the coaches and club-mates of the Scarlets 7 should be having a little word with him.

Cyril

Posts : 6110
Join date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by 2ndtimeround on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:47 pm

Cyril wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:Not got time to study the rules now but pretty sure been held is not justification for a punch but I guess it might be somewhere in the point point points!
I didn't say it was justified, but you said it was unprovoked. It wasn't. There is a difference between an open-handed slap and a closed-fist punch. The ref originally said it was a penalty against Scarlets (for the holding) which was then reversed (for the slap).

Skelton probably deserved a yellow but the coaches and club-mates of the Scarlets 7 should be having a little word with him.

If so then its far better he tries to play the ref than tell him to 4ck off as he did last time.

2ndtimeround

Posts : 594
Join date : 2011-01-30
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Cyril on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:52 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:
Cyril wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:Not got time to study the rules now but pretty sure been held is not justification for a punch but I guess it might be somewhere in the point point points!
I didn't say it was justified, but you said it was unprovoked. It wasn't. There is a difference between an open-handed slap and a closed-fist punch. The ref originally said it was a penalty against Scarlets (for the holding) which was then reversed (for the slap).

Skelton probably deserved a yellow but the coaches and club-mates of the Scarlets 7 should be having a little word with him.

If so then its far better he tries to play the ref than tell him to 4ck off as he did last time.
True enough Smile Naughty boy Laugh

Cyril

Posts : 6110
Join date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Seagultaf on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:07 pm

Looked like a punch to me, maybe a loosely clenched fist but still a punch. Not sure that Cubby was feigning injury either, it was an absolute haymaker from a guy who is simply a monster, even glancing contact would have been a significant blow. Maybe that explains him missing Farrell for the winning try.
Lucky to get a yellow and not a red!

Seagultaf

Posts : 1403
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by No 7&1/2 on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:10 pm

So you think Scarlets should be in trouble then seagul for ignoring their players safety and not checking for concussion.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 14052
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Seagultaf on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:18 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:So you think Scarlets should be in trouble then seagul for ignoring their players safety and not checking for concussion.

Sadly no one in Rugby Union takes head injuries seriously, this was proven once and for all when Northampton were able to send North back onto the field when he had clearly been knocked unconscious and have been let off without any punishment.

Seagultaf

Posts : 1403
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by No 7&1/2 on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:21 pm

So you think Scarlets should be punished? What would you like seen done?

No 7&1/2

Posts : 14052
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Heaf on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:25 pm

If it looked like a punch to you I respectfully suggest you need to look again ...

Heaf

Posts : 2175
Join date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by 2ndtimeround on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:28 pm

Heaf wrote:If it looked like a punch to you I respectfully suggest you need to look again ...

I'd really like to see a replay TBH as it certainly looked like a punch in the stadium, right down to the angle the arm was thrown at, though I will admit I've never boxed so am no expert on what a proper punch is.

2ndtimeround

Posts : 594
Join date : 2011-01-30
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Heaf on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:37 pm

A punch is to strike with a fist ... a fist has the fingers curled into the palm tightly and thumb tucked in ... What happened was more of a swat with just the finger tips making contact.

Heaf

Posts : 2175
Join date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by 2ndtimeround on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:41 pm

Ahh right, so as long as I keep my thumb out I cant get pulled for punching anyone?
interesting that !! I was just saying "OK"


Last edited by 2ndtimeround on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

2ndtimeround

Posts : 594
Join date : 2011-01-30
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Heaf on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:43 pm

Well you can try it I suppose ...

Heaf

Posts : 2175
Join date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Seagultaf on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:45 pm

This is the link, certainly looks like knuckle contact with a partially clenched fist.

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/jotoole/166569/

Seagultaf

Posts : 1403
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by 2ndtimeround on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:47 pm

Doubt I'd get away with it in an of pitch situation.

2ndtimeround

Posts : 594
Join date : 2011-01-30
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by No 7&1/2 on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:49 pm

So what should happen to Scarlets seagul. What punishment should they receive? Or are you in the mindset that if you perceive Northampton received no punishment no one should? Your opinion on ewhat should not will happen.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 14052
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Heaf on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:49 pm

Probably not - bad technique too - good chance of breaking your thumb.

Heaf

Posts : 2175
Join date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by 2ndtimeround on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:51 pm

Seagultaf wrote:This is the link, certainly looks like knuckle contact with a partially clenched fist.

http://www.punditarena.com/rugby/jotoole/166569/

Cant see if its a fully clenched hand or not but it is clearly a closed hand thrown at an opponent which is a punch for me, a slap is a clearly open hand but maybe I'm just been picky.

2ndtimeround

Posts : 594
Join date : 2011-01-30
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Scarlets 2016/17 Season Thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum