The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2016-17

+35
theslosty
clivemcl
Kingshu
No 7&1/2
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Cyril
thebandwagonsociety
brennomac
GunsGermsV2
St John The Enforcer
Geen sport voor watjes
rodders
George Carlin
geoff999rugby
LeinsterFan4life
RugbyFan100
Marshes
eirebilly
whocares
Rory_Gallagher
Pot Hale
carpet baboon
Artful_Dodger
Don Alfonso
mikey_dragon
SecretFly
Notch
wolfball
The Great Aukster
munkian
profitius
the-goon
westisbest
Maine man
Sin é
39 posters

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2016-17 - Page 4 Empty Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2016-17

Post by Sin é Sat 23 Jul 2016, 11:21 am

First topic message reminder :

What it says in the title - a place to put all bits of news not worth starting a thread for the Four Proud Provinces of Ireland such as new signings, interviews that maybe of interest to others etc.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2016-17 - Page 4 Empty Re: Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2016-17

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 24 Oct 2016, 8:56 pm

http://www.the42.ie/bundee-aki-connacht-set-to-sign-contract-3044263-Oct2016/

And then, within an hour or so, the IRFU PR team spring into action.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2016-17 - Page 4 Empty Re: Irish Provinces NEWS & GOSSIP thread 2016-17

Post by SecretFly Mon 24 Oct 2016, 9:01 pm

So Bundee must be playing a 'how-much-do-you-want-me?' runaround game with IRFU - thus the Tweet to keep them on their toes. Two weeks is a long time for horse-trading.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 24 Oct 2016, 9:05 pm

SecretFly wrote:Incidently, the wording on Schmdt's recent statement... it seems to me (reading between lines as it were) that a decision to move back home was well on the cards for him emotionally and that now this is the second best deal for him to stay on for a while more because that move obviously didn't work out.  

I may be wrong of course in that assumption but I just got a feeling from his mood and words during the year, when talking about possible decision making ahead, that he seemed newly enthused about new possible horizons and mentioned that it would be a family decision.  The recent statement seems business-like and also mentions that it can be a difficult job without the extended family to fall back on.  

I detect a degree of possible family disappointment.  Hopefully, we give him a mood booster with a win over his very own boys in Black Wink

Well I'm delighted he's staying but I don't for a second envision him staying beyond the next RWC. Just hope we're already sounding out Mark McCall...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 24 Oct 2016, 10:41 pm

Notch wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Incidently, the wording on Schmdt's recent statement... it seems to me (reading between lines as it were) that a decision to move back home was well on the cards for him emotionally and that now this is the second best deal for him to stay on for a while more because that move obviously didn't work out.  

I may be wrong of course in that assumption but I just got a feeling from his mood and words during the year, when talking about possible decision making ahead, that he seemed newly enthused about new possible horizons and mentioned that it would be a family decision.  The recent statement seems business-like and also mentions that it can be a difficult job without the extended family to fall back on.  

I detect a degree of possible family disappointment.  Hopefully, we give him a mood booster with a win over his very own boys in Black Wink

Well I'm delighted he's staying but I don't for a second envision him staying beyond the next RWC. Just hope we're already sounding out Mark McCall...

And Pat Lam. McCall will move back to Ulster and build them a nice forward pack. Wink
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 24 Oct 2016, 10:46 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:So word is Aki and possibly Lam are away next season. On top of Dillane, that's devastation in Connacht.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the media. Remember the pundit arena exclusive during the summer that Schmidt was going to NZ.

Word now is Aki is staying on in Connacht. Murray Kinsella reported it and he one of few you can trust.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 24 Oct 2016, 10:51 pm

He bought a house locally earlier in the year so his decision looks like it was made for some time. The decision is strongly tied to his children.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Tue 25 Oct 2016, 12:16 pm

Connacht agree new contracts for Bundee Aki and Ultan Dillane:

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/aki-dillane-sign-contract-extensions-with-connacht-rugby/#ConnachtNews

Great to nail down two of the big stars when there would have been suitors, and Dillane could be something really special, great to see him secured when Munster were sniffing around.

Doesn't say what resources the IRFU put towards it, but I doubt either man came cheap, and am optimistic this is evidence the bigwigs are committing to the idea of 4 strong provinces and will "Invhest in the Whest"!

Also brings Aki into Irish contention I imagine as well when he qualifies next year.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 25 Oct 2016, 12:20 pm

All shows up Pundit Arena and their 'Secret Agent' as liars and frauds

Well done to IRFU and Connacht though hopefully they drop the ball on Marmion and he heads North Fingers Crossed

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Tue 25 Oct 2016, 12:30 pm

marty2086 wrote:All shows up Pundit Arena and their 'Secret Agent' as liars and frauds

Well done to IRFU and Connacht though hopefully they drop the ball on Marmion and he heads North Fingers Crossed

I think one of Marmion, Blade, or Cooney will be heading north surely, all were playing so well last year, and Blade has been keeping Marmion out so far this term with some really mature performances. There is also the u20s Stephen Kerins coming up behind those lads, he has really stood out when I've seen him play for the national side!

My preference would be for the IRFU to put Marmion on a central contract at Connacht, keep Blade and develop Kerins, with Cooney moving up to Ulster when he is back.

All of them has too much talent to be consistently missing out on the matchday squad, better for the player and Ireland if they get their chance where Ulster are a bit short.

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 25 Oct 2016, 12:37 pm

Marshes wrote:
marty2086 wrote:All shows up Pundit Arena and their 'Secret Agent' as liars and frauds

I think one of Marmion, Blade, or Cooney will be heading north surely, all were playing so well last year, and Blade has been keeping Marmion out so far this term with some really mature performances. There is also the u20s Stephen Kerins coming up behind those lads, he has really stood out when I've seen him play for the national side!

My preference would be for the IRFU to put Marmion on a central contract at Connacht, keep Blade and develop Kerins, with Cooney moving up to Ulster when he is back.

All of them has too much talent to be consistently missing out on the matchday squad, better for the player and Ireland if they get their chance where Ulster are a bit short.

If Blade is ahead of Marmion at Connacht he may also be creeping ahead for a spot in the Ireland squad, they may want Marmion getting more games and move him or Blade out of his path. Both are out of contract this summer

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Tue 25 Oct 2016, 12:50 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Marshes wrote:

If Blade is ahead of Marmion at Connacht he may also be creeping ahead for a spot in the Ireland squad, they may want Marmion getting more games and move him or Blade out of his path. Both are out of contract this summer

Could be any of them true enough, and makes sense with the Nucifora agenda and Pienaar being moved on (which is a very unfair decision IMO). To be honest, whichever of the three goes, I wouldn't be too disappointed. The Aki/Dillane contract is as big a signal of intent to invest in Connacht as I have ever seen, and if the club are being given parity of esteem by the IRFU on an ongoing basis, then happy to give back into the pot in other ways!

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue 25 Oct 2016, 4:14 pm

Marshes wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Marshes wrote:

Could be any of them true enough, and makes sense with the Nucifora agenda and Pienaar being moved on (which is a very unfair decision IMO). To be honest, whichever of the three goes, I wouldn't be too disappointed. The Aki/Dillane contract is as big a signal of intent to invest in Connacht as I have ever seen, and if the club are being given parity of esteem by the IRFU on an ongoing basis, then happy to give back into the pot in other ways!

Agreed Marshes - really pleased for your team that Aki and Dillane have signed to stay on - big boost for the province and one that's well merited. With 9 points from their first two rounds in the Euros, they look well placed to make the European knockouts for the first time. I was wondering if they were to make the knockouts, would they have to shift grounds and, if so, to where?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Fri 28 Oct 2016, 9:42 am

Marshes wrote:Connacht agree new contracts for Bundee Aki and Ultan Dillane:

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/aki-dillane-sign-contract-extensions-with-connacht-rugby/#ConnachtNews

Great to nail down two of the big stars when there would have been suitors, and Dillane could be something really special, great to see him secured when Munster were sniffing around.

Doesn't say what resources the IRFU put towards it, but I doubt either man came cheap, and am optimistic this is evidence the bigwigs are committing to the idea of 4 strong provinces and will "Invhest in the Whest"!

Also brings Aki into Irish contention I imagine as well when he qualifies next year.

Says in the press today that Aki's contract was paid for by private investment.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 28 Oct 2016, 11:03 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:

Well, I couldn't let him go. But there goes my usual two month winter skiing holiday to Aspen.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Oct 2016, 11:53 am

RugbyFan100 wrote:

I've had a look and couldn't find anything, unless nuGwlad qualifies as press? Very Happy Where did you see it?

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Fri 28 Oct 2016, 12:01 pm

Munchkin wrote:
RugbyFan100 wrote:

I've had a look and couldn't find anything, unless nuGwlad qualifies as press? Very Happy Where did you see it?

Yikes, now you're asking. I'll try and find it!

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 28 Oct 2016, 12:09 pm

http://www.the42.ie/irfu-private-investment-privatisation-nucifora-3050316-Oct2016/

Think this is what you are looking for

Johnny Sexton and Jamie Heaslip are thought to be among those players, while the highly-lucrative new Connacht contract – a provincial one, rather than a central IRFU contract – Bundee Aki recently agreed is also believed to have been contributed to by an outside source.

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan100 Fri 28 Oct 2016, 12:10 pm

That was probably it yes. Must have been a rather wealthy rugby fan.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Oct 2016, 12:32 pm

It's pretty much a 'someone said' thing, but as it was a Provincial contract I would think it's quite likely.

The Provinces must attract outside investment if we are to keep our players from drifting to France, so I welcome these private investors.

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 28 Oct 2016, 12:52 pm

Anyone know does the outside investor getting any from these deals? Is it a sponsorship deal to top up his salary?

Or is it just a generous fan with some cash lying around.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Oct 2016, 1:04 pm

Golden wrote:Anyone know does the outside investor getting any from these deals? Is it a sponsorship deal to top up his salary?

Or is it just a generous fan with some cash lying around.

It's a top up of salary, but it's not freely given. Sexton and Heaslip sold their image rights. I suppose there's nothing to stop very generous fans freely funding a players wage though.

IrishTimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 28 Oct 2016, 6:17 pm

David Nucifora interview today in The Irish Times. Interesting stuff on the policy switch to investing in domestic pathway and curtailing of foreign players including project players.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/extending-ruan-pienaar-s-stay-didn-t-make-sense-for-irish-rugby-says-nucifora-1.2846170
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 28 Oct 2016, 7:27 pm

How unattractive must the provinces be to foreign players now that they will toss away long serving players such as Pienaar. These guys do as much for irish rugby as anybody and to just throw these guys away like it's nothing is sickening.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 28 Oct 2016, 8:21 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:How unattractive must the provinces be to foreign players now that they will toss away long serving players such as Pienaar. These guys do as much for irish rugby as anybody and to just throw these guys away like it's nothing is sickening.

I guess the relief is that it is a Foreign Director conducting that particular orchestra.  So it's easy - blame the foreigners. Blame the foreigner for getting rid of foreigners. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Fri 11 Nov 2016, 8:18 pm

This Munster - MABs match is brilliant.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 11 Nov 2016, 11:15 pm

Good win for Munster. Early days yet but the good times look like returning.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Sat 12 Nov 2016, 11:27 am

What was the result of the munster v MAB's match?

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 12 Nov 2016, 11:35 am

Maine man wrote:What was the result of the munster v MAB's match?

27-14 to Munster, with a nice gesture pre-haka from the Maori in tribute to Foley. The Munster roll continues, they're beating everyone.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but this year they aren't that hard hit by Ireland call-ups?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 12 Nov 2016, 11:43 am

Munster won 27-14. In front of a full house as well.
That was a big win for Munster - first game the Maori have lost since about 2003.

Really classy tribute to Anthony Foley from the Maori which involved presenting a Maori jersey to Axel's two boys.

Hilights here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-7WYj-y1lk

Some really standout Munster players - Darren Sweetnam looks to have everything bar a bit more experience in defence. Niall Scanell (hooker) looks to me as if he will be Rory Best replacement with Ireland. His brother Rory (inside centre) is very under rated - very good footballer.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 12 Nov 2016, 11:53 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

27-14 to Munster, with a nice gesture pre-haka from the Maori in tribute to Foley. The Munster roll continues, they're beating everyone.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but this year they aren't that hard hit by Ireland call-ups?

Missing Kilcoyne, J Ryan, D Ryan, Billy Holland, POM, Jack O'Donoghue, Murray, Earls, Zebo to call-ups.

Some first time caps for Munster last night. Pack was well on top.

Munster: Andrew Conway; Darren Sweetnam, Jaco Taute (Dan Goggin 76), Rory Scannell, Ronan O'Mahony (Alex Wootton); Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; James Cronin (Peter McCabe 25), Niall Scannell (Rhys Marshall 61), Stephen Archer (Brian Scott); John Madigan (Sean O'Connor 54) (Madigan 60) (John Foley 76), Darren O'Shea; Tommy O'Donnell - capt, Conor Oliver, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Peter McCabe, Brian Scott, Sean O'Connor, John Foley, Te Aihe Toma, Dan Goggin, Alex Wootton.

Maori All Blacks: Marty McKenzie; Ambrose Curtis, Matt Proctor, Tim Bateman, James Lowe; Otere Black, Billy Guyton; Kane Hames, Ash Dixon - capt, Ben May; Leighton Price, Jakob Skeen; Reed Prinsep, Shane Christie, Akira Ioane.

Replacements: Leni Apisai, Chris Eves, Marcel Renata, Whetu Douglas, Kara Pryor, Brad Webster, Ihaia West, Jason Emery.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed 23 Nov 2016, 12:06 pm

So is Dagg going to Leinster ? and if so is Nacewa away as well as Kirchener ?

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 Nov 2016, 12:20 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:So is Dagg going to Leinster ? and if so is Nacewa away as well as Kirchener ?

Well that might assume Nacewa is worth two players - one of them being Dagg? I'm sure Isa is chuffed. Wink

Wouldn't one on one make sense? Kirchener out, Dagg (potentially) in?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed 23 Nov 2016, 12:24 pm

Not really Nacewa at, what would be 35 years of age staying for a 8th year (not including the gap) when Pienaer has to go would really stick in the throat for the Ulster branch, and would smack of favouritism.

I can see no justification for keeping Kirchener or Nacewa if Dagg comes in.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 Nov 2016, 12:47 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Not really Nacewa at, what would be 35 years of age staying for a 8th year (not including the gap) when Pienaer has to go would really stick in the throat for the Ulster branch, and would smack of favouritism.

I can see no justification for keeping Kirchener or Nacewa if Dagg comes in.

Well I know all recent roads lead to Ulster vexation about Pienaar, Geoff - but then Pienaar himself is no chicken, is he?
Having said that, I fully understand the emotion and reason of the argument supporting him staying. We've got our Pienaar and his name is Isa Wink - so I know the deal. But we'll see how it all pans out. Are Ulster in line to take in a player or two given Pienaar's loss? And if so, where might they be position-wise? And if so, might not such additions pump up Ulster's presence in the Pro12 and Europe? Maybe the current cloud might have an eventual silver lining?

On Nacewa. I don't know his intentions. But maybe he might slide over to a coaching role if his age is catching up with him.... and yeah, maybe he might just go.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed 23 Nov 2016, 1:46 pm

I am hearing we have no plans to get high profiles signings in so we go into next year with 2 NIQ and I would assume, we will sign some projects as well as IQ players.

Emphasis on a LH, 8 and a 9 from what I am told.
IQ 9 is a done deal by all accounts, but don't know who.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 23 Nov 2016, 6:33 pm

Conor Murray moving North to give Duncan Williams more opportunity?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 Nov 2016, 6:43 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Conor Murray moving North to give Duncan Williams more opportunity?

Duncan Williams moving north to get off Murray's back? Wink

Actually, I'm still very hot and cold on Murray (ie. he was hot during the first ABs game - much cooler last weekend).  A strange player that seems to ease off if he thinks other players are doing the pushing.  He had a lot of big forwards doing a lot of hard work at the weekend and seemed to be satisfied with that so kept the pace lower than it should have been at times, especially when trying to get backs some room.  He was part of the reason we were sawing over and back all game.
Murray is still a question mark player for me - even though I know most Irish observers seem to regard him as a bit of a special Irish player.

Last edited by SecretFly on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Wed 23 Nov 2016, 6:48 pm

So what scrum halves have the other provinces got that would be available to ulster?

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 24 Nov 2016, 10:36 am

I am hoping it is one of the 2 better Connacht boys - Marmion or Blade

I fear Cooney or Heaney - Williams would be no better
If it is one of the latter list we are screwed

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 24 Nov 2016, 11:09 am

geoff999rugby wrote:I am hoping it is one of the 2 better Connacht boys - Marmion or Blade

I fear Cooney or Heaney - Williams would be no better
If it is one of the latter list we are screwed

Isnt O'Leary free next season Whistle

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 29 Nov 2016, 7:37 am

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 12 Dec 2016, 9:51 am

Wow thought I woke up in 2009... great weekend for the Irish provinces, Connacht were unlucky not to get something but otherwise some awesome performances from so many players.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:30 am

Careful...careful... we don't want to jinx this. Let's wait for the Fat Lady!

As an antidote to the expressed enthusiasm I now must say that I think all Provinces need to really up their game next week.... shoddy performances from all of them. Not good enough!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:39 am

rodders wrote:Wow thought I woke up in 2009... great weekend for the Irish provinces, Connacht were unlucky not to get something but otherwise some awesome performances from so many players.  

Yep, looks like we're back in business again!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:40 am

POC has a new job!

Heading up the board of an interactive rugby visitor centre being funded by JP McManus in Limerick.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/paul-oconnell-announces-limerick-visitor-centre-dedicated-to-rugby-768211.html

Presume that is part time which suggests that Munster have a job lined up for him!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:42 am

Munster want to hire Paulie??? Just when they got rid of him? Jesus, they're mad! The knees! The knees, you eejits!

Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:55 am

Is he not already working with the Munster academy?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:59 am

Yes, he is already plugged in.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 12 Dec 2016, 12:57 pm

That was just a part-time job in Munster's summer camp. I'd imagine he couldn't take a full time job this season as he would have had to promote his book etc.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 13 Dec 2016, 12:07 am

Good win for Munster but you get the feeling it'll be a bit tougher next week in Welford Rd. Lol

I thought POM was the man of the match. He looks like he is getting back to his best.

Sweetnam was electric again. I keep waiting to see him slip up but every game in the last 2 months he seems to get better.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next