Rugby in London

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rugby in London

Post by RDW_Scotland on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 4:12 pm

Folks,

Mrs RDW and I moving to London next month , so knowing that there are lots of Londoners / ex Londoners on here I thought I would start a thread to discuss London rugby and all things London related. We have a flat in Putney and my work is near Euston so any thoughts on either of those will be appreciated.

So, questions!

Playing Rugby

I am keen to keep playing when I move down but from a quick look there are many, many rugby clubs in London (probably more than in the whole of Scotland!). Ideally I would be looking for a club with 1st, 2nd and even 3rd XV so I can get started at a fairly low level and work my way up if I can. I am certainly not good enough to play at a high level but I’d like to think I’m not at the lowest of the low. Being honest though I am closer to the lower end than the top end! Ideally it would be a club easy to get to from Putney or my way home from work. Any suggestions?

Watching Rugby

Being so close to Richmond, and being Scottish, London Scottish are the obvious draw for me when it comes to supporting a new team.  There’s a few Scots at Harlequins now (plus the missus fancies Tim Visser and Chris Robshaw) so I am sure we will go to some of their games too.  It is handy that they have drawn Edinburgh in the Challenge Cup!

Living in London

London living is pretty much the main reason why we’re moving! I appreciate it is overcrowded, unfriendly, hot and dirty but there are plenty positives to hopefully make up for that. We love sport, good pubs/cafes/restaurants, music and theater so I’m sure there will be plenty things on.  Any specific suggestions are welcome however, especially around the Putney area and beyond.

Thanks!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Rugby in London

Post by madmaccas on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 4:36 pm

That's great news RDW!

You'll get a lot of s!te about 'the London', but I have do doubt you'll love it.

I'm horribly biassed, but my answer to playing and watching are the same - London Scottish. The amateur setup there is great and there are more than enough teams to accommodate even the most social of players. Failing that, and try not to laugh, but London French are a really fun club with an open setup. Much lower standard but always a good atmosphere and none of the stuffy old boys rubbish you'll get at some clubs.

Living wise you'll have a ball. It'll be a case of too many options and the inevitable FOMO (I want to punch myself in the face so much right now) when it comes to the weekend. Putney's pretty quiet, but Euston is close to central, Camden, Islington and even hipster heaven Old Street.

I work just round the corner from Euston, so if you ever fancy grabbing a post work pint (more likely a crawl) and some incoherent city advice let me know.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 4:43 pm

Thanks madmaccas - I didn't realise LS had an amateur setup too! Definitely worth checking out.

Chiswick caught my eye as it is only 3 stops past Putney on the train, and they look to be a big club with lots going on.

I'm more nervous about joining a new rugby club than starting a new job!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 4:45 pm

RDW, are you to become another Funny Exiled Scot?

Playing wise, as an MFL you should consider turning out for the Kings Cross Steelers. You may well fit in there, they are quite a sociable bunch.

If you want a break from that London and fancy exploring darkest Essex give me a PM.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 4:50 pm

I'm not a complete London novice jimbo - I hear the Kings Cross Steelers are a very friendly bunch indeed!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 4:56 pm

Ah well. Hug

Theatre wise, I took MrsPip to see "The Woman In Black" recently and it was fantastic. Highly recommend it.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 4:59 pm

Good suggestion - Mrs RDW loves the book (not so much the film).

Not that we'll have any spare money to do anything once the ridiculously astronomical rent is paid... Sad

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 5:03 pm

The play is a two hander and nothing like the fillum. It's in a smallish, very Victorian theatre off Covent Garden and is sensational in the way it uses "old fashioned theatre" tricks to create a genuinely eerie atmosphere. It's very good.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Riskysports on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 5:16 pm

I think London Scottish is a great club to visit / watch and play - so certainly check them out

I remember watching a Calcutta cup match there, and realising I may have drunk too much when I started informing Tom Smith how to prop (being a 6 ft 3 slow full back of low quality), i realised it was time to leave

For shows - a hidden gem is the Leicester Square theatre - smaller than most, and a very eclectic range of shows - but some gems

Last week went to see sht-faced-shakespeare - which was fantastic

- https://www.fromtheboxoffice.com/3EU4-sht-faced-shakespeare-a-midsummer-nights-dream/?gclid=CjwKEAjw8da8BRDssvyH8uPEgnoSJABJmwYofjj18rEHHAv2YM0Y7Mv8ugx6qLVwyQGjmabgnaYc7BoCSWjw_wcB

Riskysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 8:21 pm

London Scottish may be an obvious choice for you but also nearby you have Rosslyn park, Barnes, Chiswick, Battersea Ironsides plus a load around Wimbledon. Plenty about! I actually live in Putney too but stopped playing a few years ago when kids came into the mix.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 8:28 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:London Scottish may be an obvious choice for you but also nearby you have Rosslyn park, Barnes, Chiswick, Battersea Ironsides plus a load around Wimbledon. Plenty about! I actually live in Putney too but stopped playing a few years ago when kids came into the mix.

I did read that Putney is good for families and professionals alike! How are you enjoying living there?

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 9:58 pm

Really like it, it's got good transport links, pubs, restaurants and easy access to plenty more in clapham, Fulham and Wimbledon, not to mention the centre of town. I guess I sound like an estate agent...! Personally I have always liked it as it is pretty green for London and I love being near the river.

Happy to help with any queries you have or meet for a beer or whatever when you move in.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 9:42 am

As a world class armchair rugby man I can't help on the playing rugby front, but I've been to many Quins and LS matches and both are a cracking afternoon well spent. Quins in particular to be honest - good crowd. I used to also go to Wasps games in High Wycombe but Coventry is a bit more of a schlep. That said, you can get a direct train from Euston and it won't take long at all. If you get in touch with ASBO or Risky they sometimes meet up at LS games and I can vouch that neither will lock you in a dungeon and abuse you. Stay off the Nat chat with ASBO though, he's still sore about it.

I know Putney and Richmond quite well and have friends who live there. The bit by the river is posh even by Stockbridge standards and I suspect the combination of your rent and the prices at the local gastropubs will cause that firmly closed wallet of yours some concern. Quite a nice thing to do is to rent bikes at Richmond station and cycle to Hampton Court Palace - a few nice pubs on the way as well.

Also, close to your work, is Camden Town. Quite a funky neck of the woods with loads of nice pubs and restaurants - particularly down by the canal lock, and you also have Regents Park. I lived there for two years when I was a trainee. The food in the market is pretty decent, and (one for you) they sell it off really cheap after 4pm on a Sunday.

My feeling on living in London is generally positive. I loved it in my mid-20s in particular - so much going on and so much to do. I miss the salary as well! The reason I left is that work was hotting up to a ridiculous degree and I felt that I never really managed to get the benefit of London, but had to put up with all the awful stuff (the train/tube being the biggie). I lived in Herne Hill, and by most weekends I was so knackered I just wanted to stay local (or had to go into work, and there's nothing more depressing than the City at the weekend, it's like a ghost town). I don't think I visited the West End in the last 3 years of living in London. I left when I turned 32, principally to start a family as I didn't want a kid in London, and I haven't looked back. I earn a lot less, but have a house with a garden rather than a small 2 bed flat, and I walk to work when it's sunny (30-40 minutes) and drive (15 minutes) when it isn't. Mrs fES works 3 days rather than 5 (which we can still just about afford), and for 3 days BabyfES goes to a nursery right outside my work (and is soon to move to one just opposite our house). I don't think our quality of life would be possible in London. Still, until the pitter patter of mini-RDWs comes along (Harry, Hermione and Draco??), enjoy every minute of London I say!

Last edited by funnyExiledScot on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 9:49 am; edited 2 times in total

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 9:43 am

If you're moving to Putney no wonder the rent's astronomical !

As an exile you won't do better than LS, if the standard/commitment there is a bit much, check club websites on Pitchero and any club that has a seconds or thirds will pretty much welcome you. Another path you might want to look at is refereeing/coaching - clubs with youth/minis are always in need of coaches/refs for Sundays.

May sound obvious but do make the most of things like the museums and galleries, they're all free and you'll be surprised how few Londoners take advantage of them, if you go outside the tourist season they're empty apart from school parties.

Other thing is make sure you sign up to Groupon, Wowcher and all the other discount websites, there's always lots of deals for restuarants, concerts, etc.

And last but not least, never, ever, ever under any circumstances go Sarf of the Rivver !

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 9:49 am

Thanks FES and Irish Londoner - some good recommendations.

FES - I suspect the wallet will be strained like never before! I'm going to have to get a new lock..

IL - I'm quite happy with the commitment side of things and would be looking for a club that has good regular training. I've had a look on the LS website and they have something like 6 different teams ranging from high level to old farts so I'm sure one of them will be a good fit!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 12:43 pm

I was only planning on doing a few years in London when I came here at 18 and here I am 30 plus years latter and still very happy and without any real plans for moving on.

I do get that I am really lucky, having bought a house a long time ago when they were still relatively affordable and therefore had somewhere decent to bring up the family when it arrived. As you get older, it is true that you don't spend as much time doing the sights or going up town, but it does still give you a buzz when you do so, the sheer vibrancy of the centre of London can just blow you away at times, the only place have ever experiened anything like it is in New York.

My kids interestingly are the ones who absoutely love London for the social side of what it has to offer and openly state that they would not live anywhere else. The go to univerities in other big towns, Bristol, Birmingham and Manchester but say that nothing compares. That may well be because they have all the advantages of living here at my expense, without facing the main dissadvantage, which is the cost!

My rugby experiences where at Belsize Park RUFC which was an out of a pub club of rich ex-pats, who where very happy to import local students to mak them into a decent team. All kinds of itinerant payers used to pass through there, including some wandeing all blacks! The rest of my time was at East London RUFC, much nearer home, another vibrant local club who used to be able to get 4 or 5 sides out on a good saturday.

That was all a long time ago and moving into nursing in my mid twenties and starting to work weekends finnised club rugby off for me. I am not involved now but still see that there are a lot of active rugby clubs around, big and small, many many more in London than the whole of Scotland. I get down to LS occasionally, even though it is a bit of a treak from my side of town and will be at the Stoop to see the mighty Warriors when they come down in August. if you want to see Edinburgh play now, then it will be a lot easier to get to the away games in Cardiff and Newport than it will to see them at home!

My favourite cultural thing to do in London, the Open Theatre in Regents Prk, the one thing I do keep coming back to year on year. Saw Henry V there back in June and we are going to see Jesus Christ Superstar next week.

There uis always something to do in London, though sometime it is nice just to watch the world go by!

I also agree with the advie given earlier by London Irisher, avoid Sarf London!

BigGee

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 12:49 pm

Thanks Biggee!

Define Sarf London - Putney is South of the River?? As is Richmond for that matter!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 12:53 pm

Nothing wrong with Sarf London (if you choose your locations carefully...)

Used to live in Lewisham and in nice weather I walked to work through Greenwich Park to the Royal Naval College.

Good places and good times but wouldn't move back. I do miss some of the culture (and on a local level it can be much friendlier than you'd give it credit for) but travel, the weight of people and the cost of living are all tough, and schools can be a lottery. Much happier now half way between Manchester and the Peak district.

lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 1:00 pm

My brother lives in Brixton. He calls it bohemian, I call it a dump!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 1:02 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Thanks Biggee!

Define Sarf London - Putney is South of the River??

It all gets a bit murky down the posh end of town as the river meanders around and you are never really sure which side you are on!

Real sarf London is a bit more central, you will know it when you are there, as all roads lead to Elephant and Castle!

The further west you move, the less issue about north and south there is. Most Londoners though, once they settle in one side of the river or the other, never move. Being a dedicated north londoner myself, I would have to agree with the sentiment that it is all very dodgy on the south side of the river!

BigGee

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 1:20 pm

We stayed in Elephant & Castle for my stag do - it has had a lot of redevelopment recently.  Looks a lot nicer now than it does on Street View...!

We originally planned to go to the Harlequins V Glasgow pre-season game on the 20th but that's the day we move - can't see Mrs RDW being happy if I bugger off to the rugby while she's unpacking!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 2:31 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:We stayed in Elephant & Castle for my stag do - it has had a lot of redevelopment recently.  Looks a lot nicer now than it does on Street View...!

We originally planned to go to the Harlequins V Glasgow pre-season game on the 20th but that's the day we move - can't see Mrs RDW being happy if I bugger off to the rugby while she's unpacking!

Give it a go, nothing ventured and all that

What could possibly go wrong!

BigGee

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 2:37 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:We stayed in Elephant & Castle for my stag do - it has had a lot of redevelopment recently.  Looks a lot nicer now than it does on Street View...!

As has been mentioned before, I am still in Orlando on the 20th. So MrsRDW will have to lug those boxes all by herself.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 2:48 pm

There is a lift in our building to be fair...

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 2:51 pm

Define Sarf London - Putney is South of the River?? As is Richmond for that matter!

There is a strip about half a mile wide on the south bank running from Greenwich through the city/pool of London, the South Bank centre and on to about Twickenham that is acceptable but beyond that it's "here be dragons" country !

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 3:11 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:

There is a strip about half a mile wide on the south bank running from Greenwich through the city/pool of London, the South Bank centre and on to about Twickenham that is acceptable but beyond that it's "here be dragons" country !

Damn northern facists... Dulwich, Blackheath....

lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 3:16 pm

Lived in Barnes when I was in London 6-7 years ago. Watched my rugby at The Stoop and played at Barnes, the Mayfair Occies are their social side, good lads. Only downer is that the playing fields are covered in goose****.

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 3:33 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:

Sounds like Scotland, although that is less of a strip and more a big circle round Glasgow and surrounding areas... Run

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 3:45 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:My brother lives in Brixton. He calls it bohemian, I call it a dump!

Brixton has actually poshed up quite a bit since I lived there (or rather about 15 minutes from there in Herne Hill). It still has rough edges, but there are a few decent bars there and the Ritzy Cinema is pretty cool.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 3:55 pm

When I first visited him with the rest of my family I felt like I've never stood out more than when we were all walking to his flat from Brixton tube!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 4:18 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:When I first visited him with the rest of my family I felt like I've never stood out more than when we were all walking to his flat from Brixton tube!

Well, it is certainly the case that Brixton is a tad more diverse than Edinburgh (or Putney)!

If you're near Brixton and looking for some culture, the Dulwich Picture Gallery is a 35 minute walk away in Dulwich Village (which also has a nice pub and some nice restaurants).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 4:25 pm

My brother has lived there for 5 years and knows the areas well. He does have very different tastes to us though - his 'rustic charm' is generally our 'dodgy hellhole'!

We're snobs and we know it!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 4:31 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:My brother has lived there for 5 years and knows the areas well. He does have very different tastes to us though - his 'rustic charm' is generally our 'dodgy hellhole'!

Nothing wrong with that!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 6:46 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:My brother has lived there for 5 years and knows the areas well. He does have very different tastes to us though - his 'rustic charm' is generally our 'dodgy hellhole'!

You will fit in well in Putney!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 6:49 pm

I moved from Glasgow to south London years ago after finishing uni and it was the best decision I ever made. Not quite sure how I lived without jerk chicken.

In terms of rugby I'd echo what someone said earlier about Belsize Park. Never played there myself but I hear good things from those that do.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 9:13 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:

You will fit in well in Putney!

Laugh

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 10:29 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:When I first visited him with the rest of my family I felt like I've never stood out more than when we were all walking to his flat from Brixton tube!

When you have been in London for a little while, you will realise that nobody stands out and everybody blends in. You can actually be quite anonymous here, which is one of the reasons that I love it.

Takes a little while to get used to it I imagine, I just take it for granted now. I actually find going to visit homogenous areas, such as where my parents live, more than a bit strange now. I know where I would rather be.

BigGee

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 8:35 am

I'm really getting into the details here, but looking for morning commute recommendations from those who have experienced a similar route (Bathman_in_London - I'm looking at you!)

So my options are either get the District line to Victoria and get the Victoria line north, or get the train from Putney station to Vauxhaull Station then get the Victoria line north.

Google says both take pretty much the same time (40 mins door to door) but is one mode of transport much more chaotic/less reliable than the other?

Either way it is good to have 2 options as if the District line breaks down say (which apparently happens quite often) there is a backup.

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:12 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm really getting into the details here, but looking for morning commute recommendations from those who have experienced a similar route (Bathman_in_London - I'm looking at you!)

So my options are either get the District line to Victoria and get the Victoria line north, or get the train from Putney station to Vauxhaull Station then get the Victoria line north.

Google says both take pretty much the same time (40 mins door to door) but is one mode of transport much more chaotic/less reliable than the other?

Either way it is good to have 2 options as if the District line breaks down say (which apparently happens quite often) there is a backup.

I would go for this option. Overland trains tend to be nicer, the District Line is horrid and the idea of going through Victoria in the morning makes my spine shiver.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:15 am

South West trains in the morning towards London are not a nice place to be

Think this without the people on the outside https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BMSJs1Pq3pg/maxresdefault.jpg

I'd be going on district line and only switching to the overground when the district line inevitably breaks.

District and Victoria lines aren't bad at all, could be far worse (looking at the central and northern lines!!)

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:18 am

I was gonna say - the District Line is one of the nicer lines from my experience! Modern trains, and much nicer than the circle of hell that is the Central Line. You stay above ground for a fair part of the journey too.

I have heard that the commuter trains are rammed, and given that I'd be getting on one of the last stops before London it might be difficult getting on! It seems a good option because it only takes 10 minutes to Vauxhall.  But not if it is absolutely rammed.

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:19 am

Of course you could always pick one options for one week, and the other for the next week, and just choose which you prefer.....they'll both be pretty grim!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:21 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Of course you could always pick one options for one week, and the other for the next week, and just choose which you prefer.....they'll both be pretty grim!

Remember my current commute involves taking the bus from Edinburgh to Glasgow every day - I am well accustomed to horrible commutes!

You at least get a seat on the bus though...

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:23 am

BamBam wrote:South West trains in the morning towards London are not a nice place to be

Think this without the people on the outside https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BMSJs1Pq3pg/maxresdefault.jpg

I'd be going on district line and only switching to the overground when the district line inevitably breaks.

District and Victoria lines aren't bad at all, could be far worse (looking at the central and northern lines!!)

Agreed on the Victoria Line - it's the pick of the bunch for my money. Seems to zip along.

I spent three years using the Northern Line, and had immediate sympathy for those who chose to throw themselves on the line. I picked it up in Clapham at 8:30am one morning and it was, as usual, completely rammed. Someone stood on the foot of the women directly behind me, and her foot was bleeding quite badly. The train was too full for her to bend down and sort it out, so she stood there, pressed against my back, crying. I got off at Moorgate and my back was wet with her tears. Welcome to London.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:26 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Of course you could always pick one options for one week, and the other for the next week, and just choose which you prefer.....they'll both be pretty grim!

Remember my current commute involves taking the bus from Edinburgh to Glasgow every day - I am well accustomed to horrible commutes!

You at least get a seat on the bus though...

That is true. I appreciate it's very different living and working in the centre of Edinburgh, which is ridiculously easy and small to navigate.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:28 am

When travelling around in London, it is best to have a plan A and plan B, with further options as backups when required, as you do sometimes need to think on your feet!

Try them both and get a feel for whichever you prefer and check the TFL website in the morning before leaving home!

Whichever way you go it will be rammed if you are going in peak times. Consider some flexi hours if that is an option.

Alternatively, do as i do and ride a bike. it is healthier and will save you a fortune. You will be surprised how many people do communte by bike now in london, it really is becomming a cycling city with some very impressive infrastructure being put in. I have been doing it all the time I lived here and the changes recently are amazing. It is actually safer than it ever has been.

BigGee

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:31 am

I'd echo the cycling option. Most of my friends now do it and swear by it. I never did it (other than one very drunk blast to Covent Garden on a Boris bike) but I do think that if I had my time again it's an option I'd explore carefully. Maybe not every morning, but certainly in the summer months (when the tube becomes close to unbearable).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:36 am

My brother cycles everywhere and is a big fan. It has never looked the safest thing to do though, especially with the bus drivers! As you say though it is getting a lot safer.

I'll probably do as you say BigGee and try both options and see what works best.  A 3rd option is to get the District then Circle line - a good option if the Victoria line is down.

Mrs RDW is working in the City so can either stay on the District the whole way or get the train to Waterloo and get on the Waterloo and City line.  I'm assuming the latter option is likely to be rammed full of City bankers in the morning? I did that journey when down looking at flats and it was actually quite pleasant, although it was not in rush hour.

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:39 am

There is no such thing as bad weather for cycling, just the wrong cloths!

I cycle all year round and it is amazing how infrequently you do get wet, even in the winter and if you wear the right gear, you don't get cold either.

One thing you really will notice about moving 400 miles south is the weather, it really is a lot better down here and you do get used to that. It is the reason my dad said that he could never move back to Scotland, albeit Edinburgh is not quite as wet as Helensburgh!

BigGee

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW_Scotland on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:54 am

Temperature is going to be a big issue for me - I'm always roasting hot. I'm that wierdo who walks about without a jacket on in November because I'm too hot!

The main problem with cycling is having to put your bike somewhere - space is already at a premium in a 1 bed flat!

RDW_Scotland
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:25 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum