Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 2:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Seeing as no one else has set one up, I thought I'd start a 2016/17 season thread for the mighty Dragons.

The Dragons website doesn't have a straightforward list of the squad members, so the best I can do is a link to the page:

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/Teams/Squad/Dragons

Fri, 05 Aug 2016      Rygbi Gogledd Cymru 1404 Parc Erias, Colwyn Bay F
Fri, 12 Aug 2016        Cardiff Blues Rodney Parade, Newport F
Sat, 20 Aug 2016        Ealing Trailfinders CCBC Centre for Sporting Excellence, Ystrad Mynach F
Fri, 26 Aug 2016        Exeter Chiefs Rodney Parade, Newport F

Fri, 02 Sep 2016        Ulster Kingspan Stadium, Belfast GP12 BBC N Ireland
Fri, 09 Sep 2016        Zebre Rugby Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
Sat, 17 Sep 2016               Munster Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 Sky Sports
Fri, 23 Sep 2016        Benetton Rugby Treviso Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Treviso GP12
Fri, 30 Sep 2016        Glasgow Warriors Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 BBC Two Wales

Sat, 08 Oct 2016        Scarlets Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli GP12 S4C
Sat, 29 Oct 2016        Ospreys Liberty Stadium, Swansea GP12 S4C, Sky Sports

Fri, 04 Nov 2016        Connacht Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
Sat, 12 Nov 2016        Leicester Tigers Welford Road, Leicester AWC
Fri, 18 Nov 2016         Scarlets Rodney Parade, Newport AWC
Sun, 27 Nov 2016        Edinburgh Rugby Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 S4C

Sat, 03 Dec 2016        Leinster Royal Dublin Society, Dublin GP12 S4C
Mon, 26 Dec 2016        Cardiff Blues Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff GP12 BBC Two Wales

Sun, 01 Jan 2017        Ospreys Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 BBC Two Wales
Fri, 06 Jan 2017      Benetton Rugby Treviso Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
Sun, 29 Jan 2017        Newcastle Falcons Rodney Parade, Newport AWC

Sat, 04 Feb 2017        Gloucester Rugby Kingsholm, Gloucester AWC
10/11/12 Feb 2017        Munster Thomond Park, Limerick GP12
17/18/19 Feb 2017        Connacht The Sportsground, Galway GP12
24/25/26 Feb 2017        Leinster Rodney Parade, Newport GP12

3/4/5 Mar 2017             Glasgow Warriors Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow GP12
24/25/26 Mar 2017        Ulster Rodney Parade, Newport GP12

7/8/9 Apr 2017      Zebre Rugby Stadio XXV Aprile, Parma GP12
Sat, 15 Apr 2017      Scarlets Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
28/29/30 Apr 2017        Edinburgh Rugby Murrayfield, Edinburgh GP12

Sat, 06 May 2017        Cardiff Blues Rodney Parade, Newport GP12

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21837
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down


Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by dragon4life on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 11:33 pm

Looking at the latest argus article we are in talks with a super rugby player who's mates with Croswell any ideas who??

dragon4life

Posts : 450
Join date : 2013-06-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Thu 01 Dec 2016, 7:57 am

dragon4life wrote:Looking at the latest argus article we are in talks with a super rugby player who's mates with Croswell any ideas who??

Beauden Barrett.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7059
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Thu 01 Dec 2016, 11:32 am

Ed Jackson has re-signed. I think Brok and Lewis will shortly too, not confirmed though.


GavinDragon

Posts : 2557
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Thu 01 Dec 2016, 11:45 am

GavinDragon wrote:Ed Jackson has re-signed. I think Brok and Lewis will shortly too, not confirmed though.


Excellent news, hopefully Landman will do too.

avatar
munkian

Posts : 7059
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 12:29 pm

Dragons: R Jones, T Prydie, S Beard, A Warren, A Hewitt, A O'Brien, T Knoyle, S Hobbs, R Thomas, L Fairbrother, M Screech, R Landman, N Crosswell, O Griffiths, L Evans (captain). Replacements: E Dee, P Price, B Harris, C Hill, H Keddie, S Pretorius, T Morgan, J Dixon

Worcester: J Adams, B Howard, M Stelling, R Mills (captain), D Hammond, C Braid, G de Cothi, R Bower, J Singleton, M Daniels, W Spencer, C Scotland-Williamsson, S Betty, M Mama, M Cox. Replacements: M Williams, D Appiah, N Schonert, A Kitchener, H Taylor, C Hewitt, S Ripper-Smith, J Shillcock

Referee: David Wilkinson (Ireland)


http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/14969017.Dragons_bolster_pack_for_crunch_Euro_clash_with_Worcester/


Ripper-Smith is a great surname.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21837
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 7:06 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Dragons: R Jones, T Prydie, S Beard, A Warren, A Hewitt, A O'Brien, T Knoyle, S Hobbs, R Thomas, L Fairbrother, M Screech, R Landman, N Crosswell, O Griffiths, L Evans (captain). Replacements: E Dee, P Price, B Harris, C Hill, H Keddie, S Pretorius, T Morgan, J Dixon

Worcester: J Adams, B Howard, M Stelling, R Mills (captain), D Hammond, C Braid, G de Cothi, R Bower, J Singleton, M Daniels, W Spencer, C Scotland-Williamsson, S Betty, M Mama, M Cox. Replacements: M Williams, D Appiah, N Schonert, A Kitchener, H Taylor, C Hewitt, S Ripper-Smith, J Shillcock

Referee: David Wilkinson (Ireland)


http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/14969017.Dragons_bolster_pack_for_crunch_Euro_clash_with_Worcester/


Ripper-Smith is a great surname.

'Bolster Pack' is pushing it a bit there. Back row could be good but the rest? Meh.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Fri 16 Dec 2016, 12:47 pm

Nice of the NGD to publicise their Prem Select team this weekend, via social media. My telling off must've worked Wink

RiscaGame

Posts : 1333
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 8:23 am

Excited by the PS team this year. Some good talent in there.

GavinDragon

Posts : 2557
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 5:05 pm

Yes indeed. Good win for them too, stealing it at the death.

RiscaGame

Posts : 1333
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 6:23 pm

All they need is the right kind of hard working experienced role models to learn from. Players like - you know - Ian Evans
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 8:07 pm

I don't think Ian Evans would be good for us. Not because he isn't a better player than we already have. I just wonder whether he'd have motivation joining us.

GavinDragon

Posts : 2557
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 10:33 pm

GavinDragon wrote:I don't think Ian Evans would be good for us. Not because he isn't a better player than we already have. I just wonder whether he'd have motivation joining us.

Exactly my point. Hasn't had any motivation for years and injury shot. Perfect fit for us, he'll help bring the talent through
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Welly on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 5:14 pm

Great club ..........

Welly

Posts : 3537
Join date : 2013-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by carpet baboon on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 6:15 pm

The coombs thing Welly? It's disgraceful

carpet baboon

Posts : 1342
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Welly on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 6:19 pm

carpet baboon wrote:The coombs thing Welly? It's disgraceful

Yep shocking

Welly

Posts : 3537
Join date : 2013-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 8:20 pm

Nice of you guys to hang us out to dry before all sides have been heard. Although as its you Welly and Carpet Baboon I'm not at all surprised.

Griff

Posts : 6860
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Welly on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 8:48 pm

Griff wrote:Nice of you guys to hang us out to dry before all sides have been heard. Although as its you Welly and Carpet Baboon I'm not at all surprised.

Okay what is the other side?

Becuase it doesn't sound great currently.

Welly

Posts : 3537
Join date : 2013-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 10:36 pm

Welly wrote:
Griff wrote:Nice of you guys to hang us out to dry before all sides have been heard. Although as its you Welly and Carpet Baboon I'm not at all surprised.

Okay what is the other side?

Becuase it doesn't sound great currently.

We don't know do we? That's the point. Happy to join in with the slating of the Dragons if they've done wrong, but I prefer to wait to hear their side too before throwing bricks through the windows!

Griff

Posts : 6860
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Welly on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 11:13 pm

Well they better make a statement sonish as it isn't doing their PR any good.

And you have to admit if what Coombs is saying is 100% accurate then the club have do him a huge disservice.

Welly

Posts : 3537
Join date : 2013-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:08 am

Welly wrote: Well they better make a statement sonish as it isn't doing their PR any good.

And you have to admit if what Coombs is saying is 100% accurate then the club have do him a huge disservice.

I do admit that but we don't know if it's 100% accurate. Yet. Give it time.

There's a number of things that could be at play here: could be a simple clerical error; might have been taken over by a different insurance company and the correspondence not come through; might just not have automatically renewed rather than actually been cancelled; it could be The norm not to continue funding players' medical bills after retirement (I have no idea, just asking the question); etc.

Griff

Posts : 6860
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by carpet baboon on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:23 am

Griff wrote:Nice of you guys to hang us out to dry before all sides have been heard. Although as its you Welly and Carpet Baboon I'm not at all surprised.

Not sticking the boot in Griff just commenting on a rugby story on a rugby forum.

carpet baboon

Posts : 1342
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:31 am

carpet baboon wrote:
Griff wrote:Nice of you guys to hang us out to dry before all sides have been heard. Although as its you Welly and Carpet Baboon I'm not at all surprised.

Not sticking the boot in Griff just commenting on a rugby story on a rugby forum.

You called the club disgraceful without hearing their side!

Griff

Posts : 6860
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by carpet baboon on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:32 am

No I called the situation disgraceful. Still waiting for the club to say anything

carpet baboon

Posts : 1342
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 11:05 am

Appreciated this is a delicate time and emotions high, but can we all refrain from use of the C-word please before certain posters end up needing their own essential treatment?
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 2:30 pm

The following is a comment on the Argus article about this story - I have no idea of its accuracy:

'What Andrew has failed to tell you are that after ending his career because of injuries, the insurance company paid out a sum of £80,000 to him that's why it's been cancelled'

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21837
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 3:14 pm

carpet baboon wrote:No I called the situation disgraceful. Still waiting for the club to say anything

Here you go:

'In response, Dragons chief executive Stuart Davies said: "We were disappointed that Andrew Coombs feels aggrieved that he no longer has the benefit of medical insurance after the termination of his employment.

“Ordinarily we would not refer to individual player's cases, but given the publicity this issue has attracted and how it was triggered, we consider it appropriate to do so on this occasion.

“The private medical insurance policy to which Andrew refers was our group medical insurance policy taken out to cover the costs of medical treatment for players while they are employed at the region.

“Like most employers' medical insurance schemes, cover ordinarily ceases on termination of employment. In fact, Andrew remained covered at our expense for some months after his retirement.

“Andrew's cover under the policy came to an end as we moved towards self-funding the cost of treatment for players in our employment, due to the escalating costs of insurance.

“Consequently, we no longer have medical treatment insurance in place since the money spent on the policy would probably outweigh the cumulative costs of treatment.

“However, our players still receive the same high level of medical care, but this will be funded directly by the region going forward.

“No assurances were given to Andrew about a transfer of his medical insurance either prior to or after his retirement.

“However, I would point out that significant financial support over and above our contractual obligations was extended to Andrew before he left our employment, in deference to his standing within and long service at the region.

"Like all professional rugby organisations, we also fund the cost of premiums to provide financial support for players who suffer a career ending injury, to ensure our players are looked after financially in the immediate aftermath of retirement in such circumstances.

“In addition, we extended to Andrew at the time he retired, the offer of full and ongoing access to our medical staff and facilities in respect of his continued rehabilitation.

“This offer remains in place and we will continue to offer whatever support can reasonably be provided.

“We feel that we have acted both professionally and reasonably in our dealings with Andrew, in terms of providing him with every opportunity to return to the team before he retired, and in relation to our ongoing offer of support after his retirement.”'

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/14980291.Dragons_respond_to_Coombs_comments/

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21837
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by carpet baboon on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 3:30 pm

And that's fair enough

carpet baboon

Posts : 1342
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Welly on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 4:48 pm

Andrew Coombs response.

https://twitter.com/Coombs_A/status/811602877428994049

Welly

Posts : 3537
Join date : 2013-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 6:17 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The following is a comment on the Argus article about this story - I have no idea of its accuracy:

'What Andrew has failed to tell you are that after ending his career because of injuries, the insurance company paid out a sum of £80,000 to him that's why it's been cancelled'

This interested me, as the guy must be connected to know that (if true), so I'm surprised Pinky didn't mention it given the panning they are taking.

This is going to drag on a while by the looks. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the Region had messed up somehow.

RiscaGame

Posts : 1333
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 6:21 pm

Now that I've heard both sides I feel in a better place to comment. However, I'm still torn over this. So this is probably just me thinking out loud:

I do genuinely feel sorry for Coombs (or any player) that is forced to retire early. He's seems to feel that he should be covered going forward and that must have come as a shock and a worry which no one wants. However, the Dragons are quite clear that what Coombs had was the standard club player insurance (I.e. some form of private medical insurance). When he retired and chose to leave the club and set up his construction business I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the private medical insurance with the Dragons to cease, is it?

In an ideal world all former employers would pay all of our medical bills and cover our medical insurance long after we finish with them. But I know this is not the case. I have private medical cover with work but I know that when I leave I'm not covered by the policy anymore. The Dragons gave him an extra 2 months but Coombs seems to want it to continue indefinitely. Could that be considered a bit unreasonable by the player? Just think of the sheer number of players that retire due to injury. Do all of their former clubs still pick up the bill for ongoing treatment? Maybe they do? But I can't see that being the case as it could bankrupt teams and would only see the costs go up and up with each new raft of retirees every year.

It's a tough one. But I'm not sure the club as acted improperly. Poor communication perhaps. But not a nice position for the player to be in, granted.

Griff

Posts : 6860
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 6:23 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The following is a comment on the Argus article about this story - I have no idea of its accuracy:

'What Andrew has failed to tell you are that after ending his career because of injuries, the insurance company paid out a sum of £80,000 to him that's why it's been cancelled'

This interested me, as the guy must be connected to know that (if true), so I'm surprised Pinky didn't mention it given the panning they are taking.

This is going to drag on a while by the looks. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the Region had messed up somehow.

This is quite possible too given that we're a bit of a shambles.

Griff

Posts : 6860
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 6:41 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The following is a comment on the Argus article about this story - I have no idea of its accuracy:

'What Andrew has failed to tell you are that after ending his career because of injuries, the insurance company paid out a sum of £80,000 to him that's why it's been cancelled'

Heard the same from different sauce. Big payout.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by wayne on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 6:46 pm

Griff wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The following is a comment on the Argus article about this story - I have no idea of its accuracy:

'What Andrew has failed to tell you are that after ending his career because of injuries, the insurance company paid out a sum of £80,000 to him that's why it's been cancelled'

This interested me, as the guy must be connected to know that (if true), so I'm surprised Pinky didn't mention it given the panning they are taking.

This is going to drag on a while by the looks. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the Region had messed up somehow.

This is quite possible too given that we're a bit of a shambles.
Griff this is sounding a bit like the Adam Jones scenario with us, when he was used by the WRU, and he came out in public and said we had left him in the lurch, until Andrew Hore came out in public and said we had paid him 2 months wages, when we didn't need to. Adam later admitted that we had indeed paid him. Lost him a lot of goodwill down our way.

wayne

Posts : 3016
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 6:58 pm

Some curious tweets from notable others on this Coombsy story.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6216
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 7:00 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:Some curious tweets from notable others on this Coombsy story.

Any examples? I'm not really a twitter aficionado.

Griff

Posts : 6860
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 7:12 pm

Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Some curious tweets from notable others on this Coombsy story.

Any examples? I'm not really a twitter aficionado.

Goughy, Rhys Thomas, WRPA....

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6216
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 7:19 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Some curious tweets from notable others on this Coombsy story.

Any examples? I'm not really a twitter aficionado.

Goughy, Rhys Thomas, WRPA....

RT fair enough (if there is even a case to answer here) but Goughy can FRO, dint notice him piping up to whatever doughnut does the Drags medicals he was broke when he signed the contract.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 7:40 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Griff wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:Some curious tweets from notable others on this Coombsy story.

Any examples? I'm not really a twitter aficionado.

Goughy, Rhys Thomas, WRPA....

RT fair enough (if there is even a case to answer here) but Goughy can FRO, dint notice him piping up to whatever doughnut does the Drags medicals he was broke when he signed the contract.

Can't comment on any specifics, but it would seem from twitter that quite a few aren't happy with after-care or whatever and it doesn't just involve the Drags either. Looks like a bigger picture is developing if ewe ask me.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6216
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 7:50 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Appreciated this is a delicate time and emotions high, but can we all refrain from use of the C-word please before certain posters end up needing their own essential treatment?

Blydi mischief-making ultras. censored


Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6216
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by carpet baboon on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:18 pm

Griff wrote:Now that I've heard both sides I feel in a better place to comment. However, I'm still torn over this. So this is probably just me thinking out loud:

I do genuinely feel sorry for Coombs (or any player) that is forced to retire early. He's seems to feel that he should be covered going forward and that must have come as a shock and a worry which no one wants. However, the Dragons are quite clear that what Coombs had was the standard club player insurance (I.e. some form of private medical insurance). When he retired and chose to leave the club and set up his construction business I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the private medical insurance with the Dragons to cease, is it?

In an ideal world all former employers would pay all of our medical bills and cover our medical insurance long after we finish with them. But I know this is not the case.  I have private medical cover with work but I know that when I leave I'm not covered by the policy anymore. The Dragons gave him an extra 2 months but Coombs seems to want it to continue indefinitely. Could that be considered a bit unreasonable by the player? Just think of the sheer number of players that retire due to injury. Do all of their former clubs still pick up the bill for ongoing treatment? Maybe they do? But I can't see that being the case as it could bankrupt teams and would only see the costs go up and up with each new raft of retirees every year.

It's a tough one. But I'm not sure the club as acted improperly. Poor communication perhaps. But not a nice position for the player to be in, granted.

Griff I do agree with you. To me it seems like very poor communication rather than any ill will.

And it raises a something of a moral question, if your injured doing your job and are forced to retire, should that employer be responsible for ongoing treatment? I know in some professions that seems to be the case, but with sport and especially rugby it seems a very grey area.

Intresting times ahead for rugby especially Dr O'Driscoll s comments today about concusion

carpet baboon

Posts : 1342
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:35 pm

Definitely, Carpet Baboon. As Cardiff Dave alluded to above there's some ex players on twitter now asking questions in general about player welfare post-career. I guess it poses the question of where the duty of care lies, and for how long? In employment then no question the club has a duty of care, unless of course an injury occurs away from work. An injury after the career finishes then obviously is nothing to do with work. But one that spans the two is definitely a grey area. Also, Coombs chose to retire and pursue other things rather than try to get back to playing. Had he stayed I'm sure he would have been kept in his contract and entitled to the medical cover. There was no talk at the time of the Dragons terminating his contract.

Griff

Posts : 6860
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:57 pm

Griff wrote:Definitely, Carpet Baboon. As Cardiff Dave alluded to above there's some ex players on twitter now asking questions in general about player welfare post-career. I guess it poses the question of where the duty of care lies, and for how long? In employment then no question the club has a duty of care, unless of course an injury occurs away from work. An injury after the career finishes then obviously is nothing to do with work. But one that spans the two is definitely a grey area. Also, Coombs chose to retire and pursue other things rather than try to get back to playing. Had he stayed I'm sure he would have been kept in his contract and entitled to the medical cover. There was no talk at the time of the Dragons terminating his contract.

Symptomatic of a wider problem for world rugby, a game of collisions will always leave a trail of broken bodies behind.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 9:14 pm

Just asking, but is it his knee that's knackered?

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6216
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 9:15 pm

Yes Dave. Why?!

Griff

Posts : 6860
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 9:29 pm

Griff wrote:Yes Dave. Why?!

Just wondering coz people doing normal sh!t-paid jobs can injure their knees too. Trying to get some perspective on this.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6216
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 3:01 pm

'Landman turns down regional rivals to sign fresh Dragons deal'

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/14983349.Landman_turns_down_regional_rivals_to_sign_fresh_Dragons_deal/

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21837
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by munkian on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 3:16 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:'Landman turns down regional rivals to sign fresh Dragons deal'

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/14983349.Landman_turns_down_regional_rivals_to_sign_fresh_Dragons_deal/

Brilliant news, will put 110% effort in than Ian Evans
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7059
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 35
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 3:22 pm

Yeah, I hope that's off the table now. But great news about Landman. Fair play to him, he must love a challenge!

Actually, it does say something that he's decided to stay on. I don't believe we would have been able to offer much more salary-wise than the Blues and Scarlets, so he genuinely must see signs of promise at the Dragons. And there are signs of promise, you just have to squint a bit.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21837
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 5:34 pm

Yeah, it is very good news.

Kingsley talking about signings in January too. Very interesting. He sounds a bit of a utility back though, so I won't hold out much hope.

RiscaGame

Posts : 1333
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 6:44 pm

Not the force he was in his first season or two, but still a welcome addition to our short roster of PrO'12 standard forwards. Plus the Ian to rumour is hopefully put to bed.
avatar
Stone Motif

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum