Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 2:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Seeing as no one else has set one up, I thought I'd start a 2016/17 season thread for the mighty Dragons.

The Dragons website doesn't have a straightforward list of the squad members, so the best I can do is a link to the page:

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/Teams/Squad/Dragons

Fri, 05 Aug 2016      Rygbi Gogledd Cymru 1404 Parc Erias, Colwyn Bay F
Fri, 12 Aug 2016        Cardiff Blues Rodney Parade, Newport F
Sat, 20 Aug 2016        Ealing Trailfinders CCBC Centre for Sporting Excellence, Ystrad Mynach F
Fri, 26 Aug 2016        Exeter Chiefs Rodney Parade, Newport F

Fri, 02 Sep 2016        Ulster Kingspan Stadium, Belfast GP12 BBC N Ireland
Fri, 09 Sep 2016        Zebre Rugby Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
Sat, 17 Sep 2016               Munster Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 Sky Sports
Fri, 23 Sep 2016        Benetton Rugby Treviso Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Treviso GP12
Fri, 30 Sep 2016        Glasgow Warriors Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 BBC Two Wales

Sat, 08 Oct 2016        Scarlets Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli GP12 S4C
Sat, 29 Oct 2016        Ospreys Liberty Stadium, Swansea GP12 S4C, Sky Sports

Fri, 04 Nov 2016        Connacht Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
Sat, 12 Nov 2016        Leicester Tigers Welford Road, Leicester AWC
Fri, 18 Nov 2016         Scarlets Rodney Parade, Newport AWC
Sun, 27 Nov 2016        Edinburgh Rugby Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 S4C

Sat, 03 Dec 2016        Leinster Royal Dublin Society, Dublin GP12 S4C
Mon, 26 Dec 2016        Cardiff Blues Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff GP12 BBC Two Wales

Sun, 01 Jan 2017        Ospreys Rodney Parade, Newport GP12 BBC Two Wales
Fri, 06 Jan 2017      Benetton Rugby Treviso Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
Sun, 29 Jan 2017        Newcastle Falcons Rodney Parade, Newport AWC

Sat, 04 Feb 2017        Gloucester Rugby Kingsholm, Gloucester AWC
10/11/12 Feb 2017        Munster Thomond Park, Limerick GP12
17/18/19 Feb 2017        Connacht The Sportsground, Galway GP12
24/25/26 Feb 2017        Leinster Rodney Parade, Newport GP12

3/4/5 Mar 2017             Glasgow Warriors Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow GP12
24/25/26 Mar 2017        Ulster Rodney Parade, Newport GP12

7/8/9 Apr 2017      Zebre Rugby Stadio XXV Aprile, Parma GP12
Sat, 15 Apr 2017      Scarlets Rodney Parade, Newport GP12
28/29/30 Apr 2017        Edinburgh Rugby Murrayfield, Edinburgh GP12

Sat, 06 May 2017        Cardiff Blues Rodney Parade, Newport GP12

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down


Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 8:39 pm

Good news.

I also agree about hopefully not going for Ian Evans. At first I thought yeah that would be great. But actually it would probably be like when we brought Goughie back. Great news in theory but actually the player was not what he was at his peak and so the signing is mainly on past reputation and former glory. Evans would probably be the same. Is he tearing up trees in the English prem? If so, why would he leave? Another Prem club would probably snap him up too. And if not, then we don't need him!

Griff

Posts : 6230
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 11:28 am

So Kingsley Jones wants an experienced back to help his team:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38409774

Well, it looks like Henson might be coming to Newport then.

LordDowlais

Posts : 10433
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 11:47 am

Nah, he's injured more often than not. Why would we take that risk?

Griff

Posts : 6230
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 12:08 pm

LordDowlais wrote:So Kingsley Jones wants an experienced back to help his team:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38409774

Yes, he does.

LordDowlais wrote:Well, it looks like Henson might be coming to Newport then.

No it doesn't.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 2:07 pm

'Prop Brok Harris has given Newport Gwent Dragons a double boost by following fellow influential South African Rynard Landman in signing a fresh deal at Rodney Parade.'

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/14985815.Prop_idol_Harris_boosts_Dragons_by_signing_fresh_contract/

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 2:15 pm

What's going on?!!!

Griff

Posts : 6230
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 11:54 pm

Ed Jackson, Brok Harris and Landman already signed on. While I doubt we broke the bank to keep them I think each would have received an improved offer given they were wanted, and offered far more, elsewhere.

Also talking to alot of players it seems. Are the coaches anticipating an increased playing budget for next season? If so, I'd like to know where from, because I doubt it is from money raised from within (i.e. crowds are down on last year etc). Has there been an uplift in WRU and/or TV money that I am not aware of?

GavinDragon

Posts : 2525
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 1:25 am

GavinDragon wrote:Ed Jackson, Brok Harris and Landman already signed on. While I doubt we broke the bank to keep them I think each would have received an improved offer given they were wanted, and offered far more, elsewhere.

Also talking to alot of players it seems. Are the coaches anticipating an increased playing budget for next season? If so, I'd like to know where from, because I doubt it is from money raised from within (i.e. crowds are down on last year etc). Has there been an uplift in WRU and/or TV money that I am not aware of?

We've finally cashed in on the best fly half to come out of the Gwent valleys since Dai Watkins (TM) and are quids in from Toulon's big fat transfer fee

Stone Motif

Posts : 1960
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 11:41 am

laughing

Bet all the rest of them had two year contracts, but the BFHTEFTGVSDW got given six.

RiscaGame

Posts : 1207
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 12:10 pm

RiscaGame wrote:laughing

Bet all the rest of them had two year contracts, but the BFHTEFTGVSDW got given six.

Why stop there? Let's just tie up the first and second born spns of Kingsley's line for seven times seven generations on long term contracts and inter their remains in the hallowed turf as a reminder of what the dynasty means to Gwent rugby

Stone Motif

Posts : 1960
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 12:52 pm

laughing

RiscaGame

Posts : 1207
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by wayne on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 4:33 pm

Just been informed, I've won a runners up prize of 2 Match tickets for the Dragons v Ospreys game on New Years Day at Rodney Parade in the BT Promotion. Haven't been to RP since the SA demonstration against apartheid, donkeys years ago.

Quite looking forward to the day out.

wayne

Posts : 2811
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by GavinDragon on Sat 24 Dec 2016, 4:40 pm

Wayne, I will be in the marquee before and after the game. I will be in the supporters club section. You can recognise it because there will be jerseys of all the Gwent clubs hung up on the marquee wall. Come and say hello if you have time and I will buy you a pint

GavinDragon

Posts : 2525
Join date : 2011-05-03
Age : 30
Location : Monmouthshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Wed 28 Dec 2016, 4:51 pm

Does anyone know who's refereeing the Ospreys game?

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Wed 28 Dec 2016, 5:10 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Does anyone know who's refereeing the Ospreys game?

O'swens?

Stone Motif

Posts : 1960
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Wed 28 Dec 2016, 5:23 pm

I had faint hope that there woulld be something on the Pro12 website, but no. In fairness, it is ages away Rolling Eyes

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 4:25 pm

I've just heard it'll be Ian Davies.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 7:43 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Does anyone know who's refereeing the Ospreys game?

Does it matter who the referee is? Meh! Very Happy

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6020
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 8:22 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Does anyone know who's refereeing the Ospreys game?

Does it matter who the referee is? Meh! Very Happy

Not really. We're tailor made for Swansea atm as they are ruthless when they can bully the opposition pack.

Stone Motif

Posts : 1960
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Cardiff Dave on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 8:55 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Does anyone know who's refereeing the Ospreys game?

Does it matter who the referee is? Meh! Very Happy

Not really. We're tailor made for Swansea atm as they are ruthless when they can bully the opposition pack.

Home advantage with an in-your-face loud terrace plus the mud might be enough to upset the Jack Army though.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6020
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Thu 29 Dec 2016, 11:19 pm

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Does anyone know who's refereeing the Ospreys game?

Does it matter who the referee is? Meh! Very Happy

Not really. We're tailor made for Swansea atm as they are ruthless when they can bully the opposition pack.

Home advantage with an in-your-face loud terrace plus the mud might be enough to upset the Jack Army though.

Can't see it. If your forwards are up to it you can really expose the Os and how far they are away from the big boys they like to think they are. Apart from Dee and maybe Crosswell at 6 the rest of our pack would be second choice at best.

Actually think with the right selection we might edge it overall 11-15 but there will be zero platform to play off.

Stone Motif

Posts : 1960
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 12:28 pm

Dragons: C Meyer, P Howard, T Morgan, S Beard, A Hewitt, A O’Brien, T Knoyle, P Price, E Dee, B Harris, N Crosswell, C Hill, L Evans (captain), O Griffiths, E Jackson. Replacements: R Buckley, S Hobbs, L Fairbrother, M Screech, R Landman, S Pretorius, D Jones, A Warren

Ospreys: S Davies, D Howells, K Fonotia, J Matavesi, D Evans, D Biggar, T Habberfield, P James, S Baldwin, M Fia, L Ashley, AW Jones (captain), O Cracknell, J Tipuric, J King. Replacements: S Parry, N Smith, R Jones, R Thornton, D Baker, S Underhill, B Leonard, H Dirksen.

Referee: Ian Davies (WRU)

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 12:39 pm

Katie Vizard wrote:Angus O’Brien retains his position as fly-half as does scrum-half Tavis Knoyle.

No Katie, that's not right. picard

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 12:56 pm

She's hopeless. Good thing her old man got her that job.

RiscaGame

Posts : 1207
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by RiscaGame on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 2:35 pm

It's kind of pointless looking at it, most of the time. All you get is information that's has usually been released by the Argus etc a few hours before.

RiscaGame

Posts : 1207
Join date : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 30 Dec 2016, 2:47 pm

The Argus is good. I like Chris Kirwan.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 9:31 am

OK, here we go, I know I will get the usual barbs off Stone Motif, Risca, Uncle Nige/Mikey/Saint. But I am sorry, this has to be said.

We are now in a position where teams playing semi-pro rugby in the Welsh prem have better playing facilities than the supposedly professional outfit that are the Newport Gwent Dragons. The conditions that Rodney Parade were in on New Years day were unacceptable in today's professional environment.

Add to the fact that this entity is supposed to be representing pro rugby in Wales, yet continuously fail miserably, then serious questions need to be asked as to should we be putting up with another decade of failure. There is no excuse for the conditions the pitch was in. Yes I know that Newport FC play football on it as well, but Ospreys and Swansea share a pitch.

The region has failed to get suitable investment, they are predictably bottom of all teams except the Italians year on year, except that one time they finished above Cardiff Blues and celebrated that like a league win.

So, do we go another decade of embarrassment ? Do we keep letting this so called professional outfit fail year on year with no signs what so ever of improvement ? Or do we give another region a go ? Is it time now for North Wales, RGC1404, to be given a chance and Dragons get wrapped up ? Let's be honest here, any team could join the Pro 12 and be as affective as Dragons.

Right, now that I have gotten this off my chest, I will batten down the hatches, and await the usual, it's not our fault excuses and the WRU have shafted us lines.

It's a real shame, as Gwent as an area has a lot to offer Welsh rugby, but for me they have had their turn for over a decade now without reprisal, it's time to give somebody else a go.

LordDowlais

Posts : 10433
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 10:26 am

LordDowlais wrote:OK, here we go, I know I will get the usual barbs off Stone Motif, Risca, Uncle Nige/Mikey/Saint. But I am sorry, this has to be said.

We are now in a position where teams playing semi-pro rugby in the Welsh prem have better playing facilities than the supposedly professional outfit that are the Newport Gwent Dragons. The conditions that Rodney Parade were in on New Years day were unacceptable in today's professional environment.

Add to the fact that this entity is supposed to be representing pro rugby in Wales, yet continuously fail miserably, then serious questions need to be asked as to should we be putting up with another decade of failure. There is no excuse for the conditions the pitch was in. Yes I know that Newport FC play football on it as well, but Ospreys and Swansea share a pitch.

The region has failed to get suitable investment, they are predictably bottom of all teams except the Italians year on year, except that one time they finished above Cardiff Blues and celebrated that like a league win.

So, do we go another decade of embarrassment ? Do we keep letting this so called professional outfit fail year on year with no signs what so ever of improvement ? Or do we give another region a go ? Is it time now for North Wales, RGC1404, to be given a chance and Dragons get wrapped up ? Let's be honest here, any team could join the Pro 12 and be as affective as Dragons.

Right, now that I have gotten this off my chest, I will batten down the hatches, and await the usual, it's not our fault excuses and the WRU have shafted us lines.

It's a real shame, as Gwent as an area has a lot to offer Welsh rugby, but for me they have had their turn for over a decade now without reprisal, it's time to give somebody else a go.


New pitch and we'll be fine. Cheers OK

Griff

Posts : 6230
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 10:31 am

Griff wrote:New pitch and we'll be fine. Cheers OK


Well sort it out then. If Merthyr and Pontypridd can find money to sort out their pitches, then surely Newport Gwent Dragons can ?

Also, no matter what pitch you have, until you sort out the roof on the Hazel terrace, then you will always have water gathering on that side of the pitch as it runs off that roof directly onto the ground.

Also, you think a new pitch will make everything fine ? You need a reality check.

LordDowlais

Posts : 10433
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 11:33 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Griff wrote:New pitch and we'll be fine. Cheers OK


Well sort it out then. If Merthyr and Pontypridd can find money to sort out their pitches, then surely Newport Gwent Dragons can ?

Also, no matter what pitch you have, until you sort out the roof on the Hazel terrace, then you will always have water gathering on that side of the pitch as it runs off that roof directly onto the ground.

Also, you think a new pitch will make everything fine ? You need a reality check.

I was being a bit sarcastic to be honest. It's been well documented that we (Dragons fans) are not happy with the pitch, the coaching, the investment, the general direction. It's been discussed by us ad nauseum. You're offering nothing new here, while only stating the obvious about the pitch. You're also incorrect in stating that any team could walk into the Pro12 and be as effective as the Dragons. That is such a wildly stupid and childish comment that it I shouldn't really be acknowledging it. Go back to copying and pasting WOL articles. It's what you do best.

Griff

Posts : 6230
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 11:45 am

LordDowlais wrote:OK, here we go, I know I will get the usual barbs off Stone Motif, Risca, Uncle Nige/Mikey/Saint. But I am sorry, this has to be said.

We are now in a position where teams playing semi-pro rugby in the Welsh prem have better playing facilities than the supposedly professional outfit that are the Newport Gwent Dragons. The conditions that Rodney Parade were in on New Years day were unacceptable in today's professional environment.

Add to the fact that this entity is supposed to be representing pro rugby in Wales, yet continuously fail miserably, then serious questions need to be asked as to should we be putting up with another decade of failure. There is no excuse for the conditions the pitch was in. Yes I know that Newport FC play football on it as well, but Ospreys and Swansea share a pitch.

The region has failed to get suitable investment, they are predictably bottom of all teams except the Italians year on year, except that one time they finished above Cardiff Blues and celebrated that like a league win.

So, do we go another decade of embarrassment ? Do we keep letting this so called professional outfit fail year on year with no signs what so ever of improvement ? Or do we give another region a go ? Is it time now for North Wales, RGC1404, to be given a chance and Dragons get wrapped up ? Let's be honest here, any team could join the Pro 12 and be as affective as Dragons.

Right, now that I have gotten this off my chest, I will batten down the hatches, and await the usual, it's not our fault excuses and the WRU have shafted us lines.

It's a real shame, as Gwent as an area has a lot to offer Welsh rugby, but for me they have had their turn for over a decade now without reprisal, it's time to give somebody else a go.

You get the same barbs because you parrot the same old Bowellesque nonsense. Apart from the fact 'someone else' would likely be 'having a go' with less money and more or less the same squad if they were lucky, you can't just chop new parties in to the existing competitions.

Stone Motif

Posts : 1960
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 12:47 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Apart from the fact 'someone else' would likely be 'having a go' with less money and more or less the same squad if they were lucky, you can't just chop new parties in to the existing competitions.

The threat that someone else could come and have a go should be real, unless there is no improvement. The regions have been formed for over a decade, that should be long enough to get things right, what incentives are there for teams to improve otherwise.

I do not want to see another decade of abject waste. Shape up, or ship out. RGC1404 are making huge strides in the Premiership. In a few years they will be ready for the move towards regionalism, and the worst performing side should make way for them.

LordDowlais

Posts : 10433
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 12:57 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:Apart from the fact 'someone else' would likely be 'having a go' with less money and more or less the same squad if they were lucky, you can't just chop new parties in to the existing competitions.

The threat that someone else could come and have a go should be real.

But it isn't. Write to the WRU about it.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 12:59 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:But it isn't. Write to the WRU about it.

Who do you think are the powers to be behind RGC1404 ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 10433
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 1:01 pm

Also, doesn't it worry any of you that clubs like Pontypridd and Merthyr Tydfil can afford to sort their pitch out, yet your region cannot be bothered about sorting out the mess at RP ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 10433
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 1:18 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Also, doesn't it worry any of you that clubs like Pontypridd and Merthyr Tydfil can afford to sort their pitch out, yet your region cannot be bothered about sorting out the mess at RP ?

Yet more lazy reporting. In the last few years they've carried out a number of separate drainage works (at the end of the last 3 seasons I believe), completely re-laid the pitch, even moved the whole pitch about 10 metres to accommodate the new stand, and have had an FA grant to improve the playing surface (which they did). In hindsight these things have not worked. We can all see that. I'm one of the biggest critics. But to say they can't be bothered is yet another childish comment from the king of childish comments. What Merthyr and Ponty have not got is 3 teams playing on 1 surface. We never have this problem when it was just Newport RFC playing on it every other week for 9 months of the year.

What they need is someone to come in and gift them £1m for a new pitch, like Pie Boy did at Merthyr. But those sort of people are like rocking horse sh*t. If I had hundreds of millions then I'd probably buy the Dragons a new pitch. But it's very rare to find that sort of person. Merthyr (and the Blues) have been very lucky. So we need to find investors. And the Dragons are working hard behind the scenes trying to secure that investment. But it doesn't just drop out of the sky. Well, only rarely.

Griff

Posts : 6230
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 1:36 pm

Griff wrote: What Merthyr and Ponty have not got is 3 teams playing on 1 surface.

Merthyr rent their pitch out to the general public for use, 5 aside and the what not, but I do not see what that has to do with anything, Ospreys have premiership football on their pitch.

Griff wrote:What they need is someone to come in and gift them £1m for a new pitch, like Pie Boy did at Merthyr.

If Newport Gwent dragons cannot get proper investment then that is their problem. Also, Stan Thomas did not gift Merthyr RFC £1m for a new pitch. But what should I expect form you with your childish comments. Before long clubs like Merthyr will have far superior facilities to your pro side, do Newport Gwent Dragons have their own gym yet ?

I suggest you do some fact finding before you start throwing tantrums.

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/club/37008.php#.WGuoFVOLT3g

LordDowlais

Posts : 10433
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 1:38 pm

Griff wrote:And the Dragons are working hard behind the scenes trying to secure that investment. But it doesn't just drop out of the sky. Well, only rarely.

Merthyr and Pontypridd managed to sort out their pitches. They are probably better managed than Newport Gwent Dragons though.

LordDowlais

Posts : 10433
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 2:27 pm

Dowlais, can I ask you what you expect to gain from complaining to Dragons fans about the Dragons? That's a genuine question. What do you expect to happen?

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Griff on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 2:34 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Griff wrote: What Merthyr and Ponty have not got is 3 teams playing on 1 surface.

Merthyr rent their pitch out to the general public for use, 5 aside and the what not, but I do not see what that has to do with anything, Ospreys have premiership football on their pitch.

Griff wrote:What they need is someone to come in and gift them £1m for a new pitch, like Pie Boy did at Merthyr.

If Newport Gwent dragons cannot get proper investment then that is their problem. Also, Stan Thomas did not gift Merthyr RFC £1m for a new pitch. But what should I expect form you with your childish comments. Before long clubs like Merthyr will have far superior facilities to your pro side, do Newport Gwent Dragons have their own gym yet ?

I suggest you do some fact finding before you start throwing tantrums.

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/club/37008.php#.WGuoFVOLT3g


A few points:

3 teams playing on the grass pitch is what is causing all of the problems. The Ospreys have only 2 playing on it, and have a hybrid pitch. Other teams in pro sport with a full grass pitch and only 1 side playing on it have very few problems. So 3 teams playing on it has everything to do with everything!

Good on Merthyr for getting the council to stump up £500,000. Seriously, I mean that genuinely. It is not easy to get the council to stump up that sort of money, especially the council of one of the most deprived areas in Europe. Just hope there's no questions aksed about why the money has been channeled into that and not housing, education on social services! Or was it Heads of the Valley/WEFO/European funding? If so, again great. Get it while you can as it'll be gone after brexit. Shame Newport doesn't have access to that sort of funding.

Also, do some of your own fact finding! The Dragons training base has been at the new Ystrad Mynach development for over a year, with a 3g pitch which we've used for Regional A/BIC games already. Just not a big enough capacity for hosting regional games. But for training, it is 'state of the art'. And, it's part of the wider region and not just centered in Newport. Have that!

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/11227742.Dragons_excited_by_Ystrad_Mynach_training_upgrade/

Lastly, I believe it was you who came onto this thread throwing tantrums. I'm merely answering your points. Surely if you post a message then you're looking for a response of some sort?


Griff

Posts : 6230
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 3:13 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Dowlais, can I ask you what you expect to gain from complaining to Dragons fans about the Dragons? That's a genuine question. What do you expect to happen?


I just wanted to get it off my chest. The thing is, there is no way that game should have been played. Kingsley Jones wanted it played, as it was a leveler for him. Instead of striving to do better, he would rather see a game played in a swamp to make the game closer than the sum of it's parts. It spoils things for everyone. If I were a Newport Gwent Dragons fan, I would be up in arms. Yet you all still pay your money and put up with the abject failure that has been served up for the last decade. Why ? In a way perhaps I am hoping you all see sense, and make some sort of protest.

LordDowlais

Posts : 10433
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 3:21 pm

Griff wrote:Also, do some of your own fact finding! The Dragons training base has been at the new Ystrad Mynach development for over a year, with a 3g pitch which we've used for Regional A/BIC games already. Just not a big enough capacity for hosting regional games. But for training, it is 'state of the art'. And, it's part of the wider region and not just centered in Newport. Have that!

I never said they did not have any of that, I just asked if they did. Thanks for the long winded rant.

Griff wrote:3 teams playing on the grass pitch is what is causing all of the problems. The Ospreys have only 2 playing on it, and have a hybrid pitch. Other teams in pro sport with a full grass pitch and only 1 side playing on it have very few problems. So 3 teams playing on it has everything to do with everything!

Well then, the three teams using it, need to get their collective heads together and sort the mess out. I doubt it used as often as you make out either, as most games are probably called off during the winter months. We all know when the inclement is, perhaps you should play a few games at Ebbw Vale during the winter months, take the Edinburgh, Zebre, Treviso games up there, and give RP a week off to recover.

Griff wrote:Good on Merthyr for getting the council to stump up £500,000. Seriously, I mean that genuinely. It is not easy to get the council to stump up that sort of money, especially the council of one of the most deprived areas in Europe. Just hope there's no questions aksed about why the money has been channeled into that and not housing, education on social services! Or was it Heads of the Valley/WEFO/European funding? If so, again great. Get it while you can as it'll be gone after brexit. Shame Newport doesn't have access to that sort of funding

why doesn't Newport have access to that sort of funding ? I will tell you why, it's because your shambles of a management will not commit the same money towards the funding. There is a serious lack of ambition at Newport Gwent Dragons, the fans deserve better.

LordDowlais

Posts : 10433
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 3:37 pm

LordDowlais wrote:There is no way that game should have been played. Kingsley Jones wanted it played

The Pro12 and BBC Wales also wanted it played, as did the WRU and its representative - the referee.

LordDowlais wrote:Instead of striving to do better, he (Kingsley Jones) would rather see a game played in a swamp to make the game closer than the sum of it's parts.

The mixed idioms aren't helping, but now you seem to be suggesting that the Dragons want the pitch to be sh!t. Is that right?

LordDowlais wrote:We all know when the inclement is, perhaps you should play a few games at Ebbw Vale during the winter months, take the Edinburgh, Zebre, Treviso games up there, and give RP a week off to recover.

I'm struggling not to swear at the idiocy of that suggestion. Ebbw Vale in winter?!

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 3:50 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'm struggling not to swear at the idiocy of that suggestion. Ebbw Vale in winter?

Why not ? The is nothing wrong with Eugene Cross Park. It should still gave Dragons the same amount of fans that Rodney Parade holds against the lower sides, and it gives RP a chance to recover, or is it too inconvenient or below you for you to travel to the waste lands of Ebbw Vale ?

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The mixed idioms aren't helping, but now you seem to be suggesting that the Dragons want the pitch to be sh!t. Is that right?

Yes, it suited them on New years day to have a sh!t pitch, it brought Ospreys game closer to Dragons. Now I am not saying they would prefer this all the time, but this has been a problem for a while now, and nothing looks like improving, despite Griffs claims. If semi pro clubs can sort their grounds out, why cannot a pro club ?

It does not take a rocket scientist to see what the major problems are either, all the pitch down the side of the Hazel terrace is always like the Everglades when we have bad weather. When you look at the roof over the Hazel Terrace it slopes right onto the pitch, there is no propper guttering and the water just runs straight onto the grass. That is where the biggest problems are. It then causes problems as the drainage is crap. It just spreads everywhere. Add to that the ground being whored out to whoever wants to use it and you are on a hiding to nothing. If these problems are not going to be rectified, then the only other option is to move games up to Ebbw Vale.

LordDowlais

Posts : 10433
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 4:10 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'm struggling not to swear at the idiocy of that suggestion. Ebbw Vale in winter?

Why not ? The is nothing wrong with Eugene Cross Park. It should still gave Dragons the same amount of fans that Rodney Parade holds against the lower sides, and it gives RP a chance to recover, or is it too inconvenient or below you for you to travel to the waste lands of Ebbw Vale ?

Why not? Because if you want games not to be called off, you don't take them somewhere like Ebbw Vale in the depths of winter, that's why not. It gets nippy up there, as you must know yourself.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 4:15 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Why not? Because if you want games not to be called off, you don't take them somewhere like Ebbw Vale in the depths of winter, that's why not. It gets nippy up there, as you must know yourself.

Yes, I know how cold it gets, not different to Newport. But at least the pitch retains it's green grass. It does not have massive problems with drainage, it has a capacity of 8,000 which is more than enough to fit you all in, and it gives RP a chance to recover from being raped by 3 different teams playing there. I would have thought that moving some of the lesser games up there during the winter months would be a no brainer. It's not that much difference in conditions to Newport mind.

The way you are going on, you would swear that I am suggesting you go and play in Norway. I am only suggesting you go 30 miles up the road. That does not make much difference in the weather.

LordDowlais

Posts : 10433
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 4:19 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Why not? Because if you want games not to be called off, you don't take them somewhere like Ebbw Vale in the depths of winter, that's why not. It gets nippy up there, as you must know yourself.

Yes, I know how cold it gets, not different to Newport... I am only suggesting you go 30 miles up the road. That does not make much difference in the weather.

Oh yes it blydi does. It gets much colder in Ebbw Vale than it does in Newport.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 4:25 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Oh yes it blydi does. It gets much colder in Ebbw Vale than it does in Newport.

Um, OK. OK

But that should not be the deciding factor when it comes to trying to preserve the playing surface of RP.

LordDowlais

Posts : 10433
Join date : 2011-05-18
Age : 39
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Stone Motif on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 4:32 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Griff wrote:Also, do some of your own fact finding! The Dragons training base has been at the new Ystrad Mynach development for over a year, with a 3g pitch which we've used for Regional A/BIC games already. Just not a big enough capacity for hosting regional games. But for training, it is 'state of the art'. And, it's part of the wider region and not just centered in Newport. Have that!

I never said they did not have any of that, I just asked if they did. Thanks for the long winded rant.

Griff wrote:3 teams playing on the grass pitch is what is causing all of the problems. The Ospreys have only 2 playing on it, and have a hybrid pitch. Other teams in pro sport with a full grass pitch and only 1 side playing on it have very few problems. So 3 teams playing on it has everything to do with everything!

Well then, the three teams using it, need to get their collective heads together and sort the mess out. I doubt it used as often as you make out either, as most games are probably called off during the winter months. We all know when the inclement is, perhaps you should play a few games at Ebbw Vale during the winter months, take the Edinburgh, Zebre, Treviso games up there, and give RP a week off to recover.

Griff wrote:Good on Merthyr for getting the council to stump up £500,000. Seriously, I mean that genuinely. It is not easy to get the council to stump up that sort of money, especially the council of one of the most deprived areas in Europe. Just hope there's no questions aksed about why the money has been channeled into that and not housing, education on social services! Or was it Heads of the Valley/WEFO/European funding? If so, again great. Get it while you can as it'll be gone after brexit. Shame Newport doesn't have access to that sort of funding

why doesn't Newport have access to that sort of funding ? I will tell you why, it's because your shambles of a management will not commit the same money towards the funding. There is a serious lack of ambition at Newport Gwent Dragons, the fans deserve better.

So now the Dragons are to blame for the way regional European structural funds are administrated? Fair play you are plumbing whole new levels of thick as f6ck this year, fair play.

Stone Motif

Posts : 1960
Join date : 2012-03-26
Location : Gwent Region

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Tue 03 Jan 2017, 4:34 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Oh yes it blydi does. It gets much colder in Ebbw Vale than it does in Newport.

Um, OK. OK

But that should not be the deciding factor when it comes to trying to preserve the playing surface of RP.

If your aim is not to have matches called off, moving them somewhere colder during the winter months isn't the greatest idea.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 21450
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum