The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m

+56
No9
Engine#4
munkian
Collapse2005
Big
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
carpet baboon
beshocked
thebandwagonsociety
robbo277
GunsGermsV2
MichaelT
Gwlad
Sin é
Don Alfonso
the-goon
Taylorman
aucklandlaurie
Geen sport voor watjes
TightHEAD
Golden
Rugbyjk
demosthenes
Shifty
rodders
geoff999rugby
wayne
True Raven
SecretFly
asoreleftshoulder
nlpnlp
LeinsterFan4life
RDW
Gooseberry
fa0019
GunsGerms
Notch
kingelderfield
brennomac
Exiledinborders
wolfball
Welly
TheMildlyFranticLlama
doctor_grey
Pete330v2
funnyExiledScot
marty2086
Cyril
Hazel Sapling
TrailApe
BamBam
Irish Londoner
Senlac
No 7&1/2
LordDowlais
Pot Hale
60 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m - Page 7 Empty Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m

Post by Sin é Mon 08 Aug 2016, 9:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Venues announced and both Govs underwriting cost.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/government-to-underwrite-320m-in-bid-for-2023-rugby-world-cup-414609.html

Croke Park, The Aviva stadium, RDS in Dublin; (3)
Casement Park and Kingspan Stadium in Belfast (2)
Pairc Uí Chaoimh in Cork;

These include Croke Park, the Aviva Stadium and the RDS in Dublin;
Casement Park and Kingspan Stadium in Belfast;
Pairc Uí Chaoimh in Cork;
Thomond Park, Limerick;
Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney;
Pearse Stadium, Galway;
McHale Park in Castlebar;
Nowlan Park, Kilkenny;
and Celtic Park in Derry.

Great to see how evenly spread around the island (Derry & Kilkenny for example).

The operational costs for redeveloping some of these venues and bringing them up to standards and sizes for the tournament is estimated to cost in the region of €60m.

I think we have a good chance.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m - Page 7 Empty Re: Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m

Post by Gooseberry Mon 15 May 2017, 9:37 am

marty2086 wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:The Commonwealth Games federation had no option but to strip Natal of the 2022 Commonwealth games as the South African Government couldnt/wouldnt provide financial guarantees.

I cant see this ANC Government providing any guarantees for a Rugby World Cup bid without  pulling the rug out from under everybodys feet at a later date. On the other hand the IrishRU appear to have got their house in order and put into place the Financial backing and general support of the Irish Government.

Laurie, they have the backing of two govts, well that's if Northern Ireland ever get a govt again Whistle

True. It would be much easier if you just let Westminster take overall control again and reduce these needless overheads.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m - Page 7 Empty Re: Ireland's bid for 2023 World Cup - venues announced + Gov. underwriting 320m

Post by marty2086 Mon 15 May 2017, 9:40 am

Gooseberry wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:The Commonwealth Games federation had no option but to strip Natal of the 2022 Commonwealth games as the South African Government couldnt/wouldnt provide financial guarantees.

I cant see this ANC Government providing any guarantees for a Rugby World Cup bid without  pulling the rug out from under everybodys feet at a later date. On the other hand the IrishRU appear to have got their house in order and put into place the Financial backing and general support of the Irish Government.

Laurie, they have the backing of two govts, well that's if Northern Ireland ever get a govt again Whistle

True. It would be much easier if you just let Westminster take overall control again and reduce these needless overheads.

Sorry needless? Shocked

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Mon 15 May 2017, 10:12 am

I was hoping Argentina would get it, although they declined to bid. I was at the Argentina vs Australia semi in 2015, and their travelling fans were amazing, I can only imagine what they'd be like on home turf!

However, it is what it is, and out of the three candidates, Ireland would be my "at a glance" choice, without looking at any of the numbers. However I'd question whether Ireland have the sheer size of stadium to host. I've have looked at the numbers in their bid and compared them to attendances at England's 2015 World Cup.

In World Cup 2015:
Over 70,000 people came to each QF, however, Ireland will only use Croke once, and the other three venues have capacity of 43,180 to 51,700. There will be a total of 222,950 quarter final seats - compared to 460,732 attendees in 2015.

Over 80,000 people came to each SF, however Ireland haven't included Croke, and will only be able to offer a total of 97,470 seats across the two games - compared to 160,115 attendees in 2015.

Croke will certainly be big enough for the final, however, there will be 300,000 less tickets for the knock-out stages than the number of people attending the 2015 knock-out stages.

Comparing the French bid (who have published their host cities, if not which stadiums will take on which games):

If they follow the Irish model of spreading out the knock-outs evenly between their biggest 4 stadiums, they will have an extra 70,000 seats available for the knock-out rounds compared to Ireland's offering.

If they follow the England 2015 model of using their main stadium for 2 QFs, 2 SFs and the final, then they can offer the kind of capacity that England were able to sell.

It may be worth noting, if Ireland followed this model with Croke their capacity would not be an issue, but I'm unsure if they can do this as it's not their stadium?

Comparing to South Africas bid:

Assuming South Africa get access to Soccer City and use Ellis Park, Kings Park and Loftus Versfeld, they will have no capacity issues. Spreading the knock-outs they'd have 584,935 seats available (compared to 700,972 sold in England, 470,000 available with France using the same model and 402,270 available in Ireland). If they use Soccer City more as England did with Twickenham in 2015, then they can offer more seats than England sold in 2015.

That's my big question mark over Ireland's bid. Just looking at the three available, I'd love for them to have it. But are there enough seats, especially after corporate hospitality (which is a necessary evil in terms of income) to provide enough spots for both home and travelling rugby fans?

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Mon 15 May 2017, 10:27 am

Ireland games would all fill 100k seater stadium if there was one given that the Romania v Ireland game is the highest attended RWC game of all time. Not really fair however, to compare the Ireland bid with the England bid anyway. Not many countries have the same attendance figures as an England RWC but as long as they arent far off it wont matter too much because the host nation receives the gate earnings and world rugby get TV and sponsorship revenue. Atmosphere at the games is more important and that is almost guaranteed in Ireland. Also the Japan RWC doesnt have particularly big stadia. The biggest stadium they will be using International Stadium Yokohama is smaller that Croke Park and their smallest is also smaller than any of Ireland's stadia.

I would like to attend a RWC in Argentina too however, crime is a massive issue all over Argentina. I have been there and my girlfriend is from BA and it definitely isnt the safest place in the world. r*** and gun crime is alarmingly common in Argentina.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 15 May 2017, 10:51 am

According to Ireland's Bid:

Croke Park (82,300): will host Opening Match, Pool Games, Quarter Final and Final.
Aviva (51,700): Pool Games, Quarter Final, Semi Final.
Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Cork (45,770): Pool Games, Quarter Final, Semi Final
Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney (43,180): Pool Games, Quarter Final.

Ticket sales don't affect World Rugby as they are guaranteed a fee and the hosting country get to keep the ticket sales to offset the fee. The RFU made a packet on the last world cup. I'd imagine Ireland would be happy to break even.

World Rugby sell the corporate entertainment part and both Croke Park (which also has a 4* Hotel beside it) and Aviva have corporate facilities second to none.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 15 May 2017, 11:00 am

Gwlad wrote:Thanks, I never knew what the OECD stood for Rolling Eyes
While we're at it, the Fire Project was funded by the European Commission and coordinated by Transcrime in Italy

'Comparing Ireland to the other 27 EU states analysed, and based on population, the project ranked Ireland’s southern and eastern regions in the medium-high range for firearms seized and both regions as medium-high for deadly shootings.

It ranked the southern and eastern region as high for non-deadly shootings, while the Border, midland, and western region was medium-high.'

What does medium to high mean. Whats the benchmark?

Does the Fire Programme rate South Africa?
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 15 May 2017, 4:12 pm

Um, no because SA is not in Europe.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Mon 15 May 2017, 4:30 pm

Sin é wrote:According to Ireland's Bid:

Croke Park (82,300): will host Opening Match, Pool Games, Quarter Final and Final.

Ticket sales don't affect World Rugby as they are guaranteed a fee and the hosting country get to keep the ticket sales to offset the fee. The RFU made a packet on the last world cup. I'd imagine Ireland would be happy to break even.

World Rugby sell the corporate entertainment part and both Croke Park (which also has a 4* Hotel beside it) and Aviva have corporate facilities second to none.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland2023/#croke-park-dublin

Croke Park only down for semi-finals and final?

http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland2023/#aviva-stadium-lansdowne-road-dublin

Aviva - opening match and quarters? I assume opening match and pool games are treated the same as a match category or thats a waste.

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Mon 15 May 2017, 4:34 pm

That's a savage picture of Croke Park

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Mon 15 May 2017, 7:28 pm

Sin é wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Who decided to put a 'country' below sea level anyway? few more years of global warming and it will be a real swamp.

No it won't. While it is low lying, the Netherlands have reclaimed the sea with man made protection.

If the welsh moved to the Netherlands and the Dutch moved to wales within 5 years the welsh would have drowned and the Dutch would have turned Cardiff and South Wales into a desirable place to visit ( ok maybe stretching things a little)

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 16 May 2017, 10:02 am

Sin é wrote:According to Ireland's Bid:

It matters to fans trying to go to the World Cup as well as the money counters at World Rugby.

Either tickets may be higher to come by as the supply is restricted, the IRFU may put prices up to maximise revenue - given that they are more limited in the number of tickets they can sell, or both.

Japan's main stadium is smaller than Croke, but they'll be hosting both semis and the final there, something Ireland won't be doing with Croke Park. Were they to do that there would be no issue, but doing what they are will limit the amount of seats available for the knock-out, and make it harder for fans to go.

I don't think it should always go to the country with the biggest stadium, and there is a lot going for an Irish bid, especially against France and South Africa. I also only use the England World Cup as way of a comparison on how the event was planned. England had a number of 30k-50k stadium used in the group stages, but come the knock-outs and they used Twickenham 5 times and the Millennium twice to maximise availability. I would be able to get behind the Irish bid a lot more if they had two big stadia to use or used Croke more heavily.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue 16 May 2017, 10:08 am

Its not relevant to "the money counters at World Rugby". Their fee is guaranteed, the host nation always gets the gate profits and world rugby gets sponsorship and TV revenue. Game attendances make not difference financially really to world rugby, thought obviously they want a successful world cup to drive their brand.

Ireland will be hosting both semi finals at Croke park Robbo. Did you not see the link posted above?

Attendance wont be an issue. A final in Croke park will probably be the second highest attendance for a final after the Telstra Dome in 2003.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 16 May 2017, 10:13 am

Nothing is set in stone though, there are a number of stadiums listed to host the opening match and bronze final so there is an element of keeping options open

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 16 May 2017, 10:22 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:Its not relevant to "the money counters at World Rugby". Their fee is guaranteed, the host nation always gets the gate profits and world rugby gets sponsorship and TV revenue. Game attendances make not difference financially really to world rugby, thought obviously they want a successful world cup to drive their brand.

Ireland will be hosting both semi finals at Croke park Robbo. Did you not see the link posted above?

Attendance wont be an issue. A final in Croke park will probably be the second highest attendance for a final after the Telstra Dome in 2003.

No, I saw the same information that Sin e posted, with Croke getting a QF and the final, Aviva getting a QF and a SF and two smaller stadium sharing the remaining 2 QFs and SF.

It's possible my complaints are based on incorrect information then!

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue 16 May 2017, 10:58 am

This is the link. Croke Park is down for the semis according to the IRFU site.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland2023/#croke-park-dublin

I believe according to the above link you must have 60k plus for a semi final.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 18 May 2017, 12:13 am

Interesting that the English Rugby Union made £228.1m out of the World Cup for themselves.

Ian Richie got a bonus of 100K (bringing his pay that year to £700m. He can well afford to jump ship and retire.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 18 May 2017, 1:13 am

Sin é wrote:Interesting that the English Rugby Union made £228.1m out of the World Cup for themselves.

Ian Richie got a bonus of 100K (bringing his pay that year to £700m. He can well afford to jump ship and retire.

Might want to check your maths otherwise the Irish bid might not last long.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Thu 18 May 2017, 8:41 am

Sin é wrote:Interesting that the English Rugby Union made £228.1m out of the World Cup for themselves.

£700m Shocked Shocked Shocked

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 18 May 2017, 8:57 am

Hardly surprising when tickets were by far the most expensive ever for a world cup.

What a boost to the economy, the GAA and the IRFU that would be. Epic.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 18 May 2017, 10:23 am

Say what you want about England's World Cup performance, but the cash we generated will do wonders for the grass roots for years to come.

It's just a shame the team couldn't do more to really capture the public's imagination and drag more people into the sport. But the Return to Rugby programme started during the World Cup (which is low-key touch rugby) is still going strong at my club, so the effects of the World Cup are still being felt.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 01 Jun 2017, 1:04 pm

What a cluster£uck

Sports Minster Shane Ross under fire as bid to host 2023 Rugby World Cup thrown into doubt

SPORTS Minister Shane Ross is to rush through legislation in order to support Ireland’s staging of the Rugby World Cup.

There was shock within political circles today after Mr Ross raised doubt over whether Ireland’s submission to host the 2023 event will be accepted.

In a letter to the Oireachtas committee for Transport, Sport and Tourism, Mr Ross revealed that advice received from the Attorney General states that emergency legislation is required to support Ireland’s bid to host the tournament.

He said that the Government is now under “extreme time pressure” to ensure specific guarantees sought by the organising body can be delivered.

“I am writing to you now on a matter of urgency that has arisen,” Mr Ross said.

“The draft guarantees to be provided by the State to support the staging of the tournament were received from the Rugby World Cup Limited (RWCL) on April 7.

“After consideration of the vires (powers) of the Minister, the Office of the Attorney General advised on May 4 that express statutory authority through the passing of primary legislation is necessary for a Minister to provide the necessary guarantees,” he added.

In his letter, seen by the Irish Independent, Mr Ross said the hosting of the event would prove “very beneficial, not just for sport but for the economy through increased visitor numbers and unparalleled international attention.”

He added that Ireland’s image abroad would be boosted if the country’s bid is successful.

But Mr Ross explained that his department sought from the AG and that he decided to draft the Rugby World Cup 2023 Bill (2017) in order to underpin Ireland’s bid.

The bill was approved at Cabinet last week.

Mr Ross said in the letter that the bill needs to pass through the Oireachtas by the summer recess, which is just a few weeks away.

As a result, the Dublin-Rathdown TD said the Oireachtas committee will need to be bypassed.

“Given the urgency of the legislation, I have asked the House Business Committee not to refer the Bill to the Joint Committee on Transport, Tourism and Sport to move instead to drafting by the Office of the Parliamentary Draughtsmen. I trust you understand the reason for this approach is to do everything in my power to secure passage of this vital piece of legislation in an extremely constrained time period."

Today, two members of the committee - Fianna Fáil TDs Robert Troy and Kevin O’Keeffe - criticised the minister over his apparent lack of preparedness.

“It was known weeks ago that this would require legislation. The minister has shown that he is completely all over the place on this issue and it would be very concerning if our bid to host the world cup was jeopardised as a result,” Mr O’Keeffe told the Irish Independent

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 01 Jun 2017, 1:52 pm

Where there is a will there is a way. They will make it happen.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 02 Jun 2017, 12:21 am

marty2086 wrote:What a cluster£uck

Sports Minster Shane Ross under fire as bid to host 2023 Rugby World Cup thrown into doubt

SPORTS Minister Shane Ross is to rush through legislation in order to support Ireland’s staging of the Rugby World Cup.

There was shock within political circles today after Mr Ross raised doubt over whether Ireland’s submission to host the 2023 event will be accepted.

In a letter to the Oireachtas committee for Transport, Sport and Tourism, Mr Ross revealed that advice received from the Attorney General states that emergency legislation is required to support Ireland’s bid to host the tournament.

He said that the Government is now under “extreme time pressure” to ensure specific guarantees sought by the organising body can be delivered.

“The draft guarantees to be provided by the State to support the staging of the tournament were received from the Rugby World Cup Limited (RWCL) on April 7.

“After consideration of the vires (powers) of the Minister, the Office of the Attorney General advised on May 4 that express statutory authority through the passing of primary legislation is necessary for a Minister to provide the necessary guarantees,” he added.

In his letter, seen by the Irish Independent, Mr Ross said the hosting of the event would prove “very beneficial, not just for sport but for the economy through increased visitor numbers and unparalleled international attention.”

He added that Ireland’s image abroad would be boosted if the country’s bid is successful.

But Mr Ross explained that his department sought from the AG and that he decided to draft the Rugby World Cup 2023 Bill (2017) in order to underpin Ireland’s bid.

Mr Ross said in the letter that the bill needs to pass through the Oireachtas by the summer recess, which is just a few weeks away.

As a result, the Dublin-Rathdown TD said the Oireachtas committee will need to be bypassed.

“Given the urgency of the legislation, I have asked the House Business Committee not to refer the Bill to the Joint Committee on Transport, Tourism and Sport to move instead to drafting by the Office of the Parliamentary Draughtsmen. I trust you understand the reason for this approach is to do everything in my power to secure passage of this vital piece of legislation in an extremely constrained time period."

Today, two members of the committee - Fianna Fáil TDs Robert Troy and Kevin O’Keeffe - criticised the minister over his apparent lack of preparedness.

“It was known weeks ago that this would require legislation. The minister has shown that he is completely all over the place on this issue and it would be very concerning if our bid to host the world cup was jeopardised as a result,” Mr O’Keeffe told the Irish Independent

Dont tell Gwlad about this.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 02 Jun 2017, 9:09 am

Apparently the French don't have the written permission from their govt. to use the Stade de France in their bid yet so seems the politicians are keen to screw up all three bids

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Sun 04 Jun 2017, 9:58 am

I'm starting to think that because of all the terrorist attacks in England and France Ireland will miss out in their bid. Not because there is much threat in Ireland or any threat at all but because we don't have the security to deal with a potential threat and as the hysteria builds this will be seen as a major flaw.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Sun 04 Jun 2017, 11:32 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:I'm starting to think that because of all the terrorist attacks in England and France Ireland will miss out in their bid. Not because there is much threat in Ireland or any threat at all but because we don't have the security to deal with a potential threat and as the hysteria builds this will be seen as a major flaw.

I just can't believe that such a consideration would derail the IRFU bid. Firstly we're 6 years away from the event and so enough time for all required planning, but also events will move on, though that is in no way to say the threat will simply go away.

Across the board I believe the Irish bid makes the best sense and I for one will be delighted if it comes to fruition.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 04 Jun 2017, 1:13 pm

There is a lot of expertise (unfortunately) on the island of Ireland dealing with terrorism.

Fair play to gardai for this:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/massive-new-ira-bomb-bust-as-6kg-explosive-haul-is-seized-in-city-taxi-35784226.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Sun 04 Jun 2017, 11:30 pm

It doesnt matter if its 6 years away the winner will be announced in November and there are bound to be more attacks between now and then. I know there are armed guards on the streets in Dublin now which is sad to see but the powers that be will rule that we simply wont have the security to deal with a terror threat that would target a world rugby tournament and that will be that

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 05 Jun 2017, 9:16 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:It doesnt matter if its 6 years away the winner will be announced in November and there are bound to be more attacks between now and then. I know there are armed guards on the streets in Dublin now which is sad to see but the powers that be will rule that we simply wont have the security to deal with a terror threat that would target a world rugby tournament and that will be that

Why would they rule that?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 05 Jun 2017, 10:03 am

MichaelT wrote:

£700m Shocked Shocked Shocked

Source for the figures : D. Abbot

They didnt make that figure, that was the turnover of the world cup...before costs and taxes. The vast majority of the profits they did make that year got reinvested straight back into the game.

Ritchhes salary was £600,000 a year which was bumped up to £700,000 as a pay rise not a one off bonus. Still pretty hefty by moral standards but if you compare it to what Jonny Wilkinson makes in namecheck rights from the BBC its peanuts. Duyring his tenure he did succesfuly save the RFU far more by employing a gym master as head coach rather than a proper professional, and defended them against the money grabbing Fijians who dared to ask for enough to pay for their flights and a modest hotel.Worth every penny.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 06 Jun 2017, 9:32 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:It doesnt matter if its 6 years away the winner will be announced in November and there are bound to be more attacks between now and then. I know there are armed guards on the streets in Dublin now which is sad to see but the powers that be will rule that we simply wont have the security to deal with a terror threat that would target a world rugby tournament and that will be that

But the alternatives are France where more people have dies from terrorist attacks and SA where the crime rate is horrendous.
Also attacks are in GB not Ireland - Belfast is probably the safest city in the UK right now (never thought I'd say that)

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 06 Jun 2017, 2:16 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:

But the alternatives are France where more people have dies from terrorist attacks and SA where the crime rate is horrendous.
Also attacks are in GB not Ireland - Belfast is probably the safest city in the UK right now (never thought I'd say that)

Brexit may be a bigger hindrance to the bid than terrorism depending on what type of border is put in place

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 06 Jun 2017, 2:37 pm

marty2086 wrote:What a cluster£uck

While the Sports Minister mightn't have the authority to sign such a commitment, the Finance Minister, the Taoiseach (or a combination of both) surely could.... there is probably a couple of lads in the NTMA that would have the ability to bind the country to a guarantee of those kinds of figures.

Sounds more like little Shane Ross wanting to have his signature front and centre. Bus drivers look for more pay and he vanishes.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 06 Jun 2017, 4:44 pm

marty2086 wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:

Brexit may be a bigger hindrance to the bid than terrorism depending on what type of border is put in place

When the decision is made (November) we wont have a clue about the border

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 06 Jun 2017, 5:01 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:

When the decision is made (November) we wont have a clue about the border

There may be a clearer idea before then, hopefully it'll all be an irrelevance

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 06 Jun 2017, 5:10 pm

With Italy pulling out of RWC proceedings, I don't really mind who gets the RWC now.

If Ireland do win, Galway Girl should be the official Ireland RWC Anthem..... Whistle

Could be an uproar if Guinness is banned from stadiums..... Heineken are the current sponsors.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Tue 06 Jun 2017, 5:31 pm

beshocked wrote:With Italy pulling out of RWC proceedings, I don't really mind who gets the RWC now.

If Ireland do win, Galway Girl should be the official Ireland RWC Anthem..... Whistle

Could be an uproar if Guinness is banned from stadiums..... Heineken are the current sponsors.

I wouldn't worry, Hieneken was the "Official Beer" for the 2015 RWC and there was lots of the Black Stuff on sale.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 06 Jun 2017, 8:29 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:
beshocked wrote:With Italy pulling out of RWC proceedings, I don't really mind who gets the RWC now.

I wouldn't worry, Hieneken was the "Official Beer" for the 2015 RWC and there was lots of the Black Stuff on sale.

Let's hope they do ban it and partner with Murphys instead Whistle

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 06 Jun 2017, 8:31 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:

Yup after the Ireland game at Wembley I think I was pi$$ing Guinness for a week.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sun 11 Jun 2017, 11:31 am

Since neither France or SA are playing the USA this summer, I'd say Ireland has the USA Rugby's vote in the bag!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun 11 Jun 2017, 12:22 pm

Even after we sent our Emerging Ireland team to whoop them?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Mon 12 Jun 2017, 1:55 pm

I was at Pearse Stadium for Mayo/Galway yesterday; Even when the rain cleared the wind would split you in two. Great atmosphere, but it feels smaller than a 35k stadium, and getting too and from the pitch without a 40min walk from town is a serious headache (Mam was literally stuck in traffic in salthill 90 mins to get out to Barna where she lives). Work def needs to be done in advance of the RWC.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:19 am

So, who says Ireland will have difficulty selling tickets to the World Cup:

Women's Rugby World Cup 2017: Unprecedented demand for tickets results in additional capacity for Dublin pool stages

With just two months to go until the 2017 Women's Rugby World Cup kicks off in Ireland unprecedented demand for tickets has resulted in additional capacity being added to the Dublin venues for the pool stages at the University College Dublin (UCD) Bowl, increasing the capacity to over 16,000 for the three pool stage match days.

The extra space will allow more people to attend the opening game of the tournament on Aug 9, where defending champions England will take on Spain, before USA play Italy and then hosts, Ireland, get their campaign under way against Australia later that evening.

Women's Rugby World Cup pool games will take place in two venues in UCD, The UCD Bowl and UCD Billings Park, on Aug 9, 13 and 17, and additional capacity is being added to the Bowl after all three match days at the ground sold out. Match day two and three at Billings Park are sold out, and additional capacity may be added to this ground also.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue 11 Jul 2017, 9:11 pm

Paris being selected to host the 2024 olympics makes the Ireland bid a little stronger as it unlikely France will host the RWC and the olympics in the space of a year.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 12 Jul 2017, 8:50 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:Paris being selected to host the 2024 olympics makes the Ireland bid a little stronger as it unlikely France will host the RWC and the olympics in the space of a year.

Why not? Japan are using RWC19 as a warm-up exercise for Tokyo2020
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 12 Jul 2017, 9:17 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:Paris being selected to host the 2024 olympics makes the Ireland bid a little stronger as it unlikely France will host the RWC and the olympics in the space of a year.

I guess because world rugby have expressed concerns over Japan prioritising the Olympics over the RWC. Do you think World Rugby like the RWC seen as a warm up exercise?

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/10/14/more-sports/rugby/gosper-pleased-prep-2019-rwc/

Also Ireland's tour of Japan and USA was probably a vote gathering exercise.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 12 Jul 2017, 9:37 am

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:

I guess because world rugby have expressed concerns over Japan prioritising the Olympics over the RWC. Do you think World Rugby like the RWC seen as a warm up exercise?

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2016/10/14/more-sports/rugby/gosper-pleased-prep-2019-rwc/

Also Ireland's tour of Japan and USA was probably a vote gathering exercise.

I agree with you on the latter - ultimately the politics are going to decide things. Probably over suitability, more's the pity.

I fully expect Japan to turn on a cracking RWC - the couple of Top League games I went to in 2015 were great experiences. I also would rather see Ireland or SA have the 2023 tournament than France, since France hosted in '07 - SA were all the way back in '95, while Ireland are the last major rugby nation (with apologies to Scotland) to have only co-hosted.

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 12 Jul 2017, 10:35 am

I really would have major concerns over Ireland's ability to host the RWC. It's one heck of a gamble.

Japan should be great in 2019. Then France for me in 2023 (they really know how to put on a show!).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 12 Jul 2017, 10:42 am

Cyril wrote:I really would have major concerns over Ireland's ability to host the RWC. It's one heck of a gamble.

Japan should be great in 2019. Then France for me in 2023 (they really know how to put on a show!).

Cyril's love affair with Ireland continues. Where exactly does the gamble lie Cyril?

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Fri 14 Jul 2017, 5:29 pm

Cyril wrote:I really would have major concerns over Ireland's ability to host the RWC. It's one heck of a gamble.

Well, now the DUP have got a billion to play with, I'm sure some of that could be diverted to rugby Yahoo

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next