The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And so it begins.. (if it hadn't already begun)

+20
munkian
emack2
robbo277
Allty
No 7&1/2
englandglory4ever
Irish Londoner
beshocked
SecretFly
TrailApe
LondonTiger
asoreleftshoulder
marty2086
offload
kingelderfield
Exiledinborders
Rugby Fan
David-Douglas
Pot Hale
lostinwales
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

And so it begins.. (if it hadn't already begun) - Page 2 Empty And so it begins.. (if it hadn't already begun)

Post by lostinwales Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37208971

AP bosses (Mark McCall and Dai Young) call Lions schedule 'ludicrous'

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

And so it begins.. (if it hadn't already begun) - Page 2 Empty Re: And so it begins.. (if it hadn't already begun)

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:03 pm

ebop wrote:
beshocked wrote:Sadly I think the Lions has to go. The rugby calendar is becoming more demanding as it is and with pressure to cut games somewhere, The Lions tours seem the obvious place to start.

The Lions never used to be an imposition

What a shame club rugby has made it that way

Never mind, I'm sure those club games are great spectacles

Typical response from an Anti-Calendarist!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

And so it begins.. (if it hadn't already begun) - Page 2 Empty Re: And so it begins.. (if it hadn't already begun)

Post by TightHEAD Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:15 pm

Club and Country must always come first over the Lions.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:17 pm

Is it club before country?

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:18 pm

F**K Club and F**K Lions.

Country before both. One Lover, no screwing around. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:20 pm

Ok, country first is good

ps. I like calendars

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:21 pm

Honestly though

Club rugby over the Lions, really?

You'd rather watch a club game over the Lions?

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:23 pm

TightHEAD wrote:He is a Mercenary lining his own pockets, nothing more. Totally the wrong choice for this tour.

Shocking that a coach gets paid in the professional era, imagine spending time away from your family and doing a job and expecting to be paid for it. What kind of world do we live in?!

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:35 pm

ebop wrote:Honestly though

Club rugby over the Lions, really?

You'd rather watch a club game over the Lions?

I would,I'm a Leinster fan and to me watching the Lions feels the same as watching Connacht,Ulster or Munster play.I'd like them to win but at the end of the day it's not that important.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:36 pm

Club rugby is the heart and soul of our game, so yes club rugby 1st followed by Country for me.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:38 pm

marty2086 wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:He is a Mercenary lining his own pockets, nothing more. Totally the wrong choice for this tour.

Shocking that a coach gets paid in the professional era, imagine spending time away from your family and doing a job and expecting to be paid for it. What kind of world do we live in?!

What if spending time away from your family is kinda your idea of Heaven? Do you then have to compensate the company that employs you under such conditions?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:40 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Club rugby is the heart and soul of our game, so yes club rugby 1st followed by Country for me.

Erm

Except that country is what the game is built on and only the last few years has the club game been able to sustain itself without the unions and tests

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:40 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Club rugby is the heart and soul of our game, so yes club rugby 1st followed by Country for me.

Amateur club rugby is the heart and soul of the game,the pro game is a different beast.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:41 pm

SecretFly wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

What if spending time away from your family is kinda your idea of Heaven?  Do you then have to compensate the company that employs you under such conditions?

You just keep that quiet and hope no one figures out Laugh

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:42 pm

What about from a quality standpoint?

You have to admit, club rugby is a step down in terms of quality and spectacle. Not a big deal?

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:44 pm

Why do you guys hate Club rugby so much? - It is what I and many rugby fans live for.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:45 pm

ebop wrote:What about from a quality standpoint?

You have to admit, club rugby is a step down in terms of quality and spectacle. Not a big deal?

The last Lions tour was awful rugby. Erm
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:46 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Why do you guys hate Club rugby so much? - It is what I and many rugby fans live for.

Who said we hate it, you just seem to ramble a lot and fail to grasp things

As I said with out Test rugby the club game wouldn't be around how is that hating the club game?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:47 pm

It's a step up from some internationals though. Problems arise when you try to prioritise club and country etc. They need each other and need to coexist.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:48 pm

Club rugby is fuelled by greed - not greed for more and more good rugby but by all the usual suspects that want a slice of the ever increasing financial pie.... players always have to be paid more and more so that the sponsors have a bigger a bigger product to cream more and more profit from that owners want a bigger and bigger slice of.

Club would be a great old game if it wasn't so often discussed in terms of biznezz, and profit-margins, and Broadcasting deals, and record breaking transfer fees and boardroom deals and financial troubles, and stadiums needing upgrades, and moving home to make bigger profits and shady nixers for sideline companies and houses that were given instead of salaries and we got more wealthy fans than yous lot, and on and on and on.

Club is simply habitual age old greed pretending it likes the game of rugby.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:48 pm

TightHEAD wrote:

Worse than club rugby?

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:50 pm

Does SH club rugby suck ebop? Don't catch much of it.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:51 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Club rugby is fuelled by greed - not greed for more and more good rugby but by all the usual suspects that want a slice of the ever increasing financial pie.... players always have to be paid more and more so that the sponsors have a bigger a bigger product to cream more and more profit from that owners want a bigger and bigger slice of.

Club would be a great old game if it wasn't so often discussed in terms of biznezz, and profit-margins, and Broadcasting deals, and record breaking transfer fees and boardroom deals and financial troubles, and stadiums needing upgrades, and moving home to make bigger profits and shady nixers for sideline companies and houses that were given instead of salaries and we got more wealthy fans than yous lot, and on and on and on.

The Lions is all about money these days nothing more.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:51 pm

ebop wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:

Worse than club rugby?

Should make him watch Edinburgh play Zebre this season and he'll change his mind fast

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:52 pm

TightHEAD wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

The Lions has to sustain itself, the union its visiting plus the home unions so they need to generate serious revenue

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:52 pm

marty2086 wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:Why do you guys hate Club rugby so much? - It is what I and many rugby fans live for.

As I said with out Test rugby the club game wouldn't be around how is that hating the club game?

Laugh a village is missing you today.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:52 pm

Nailed it SecretFly

And traditions will die

Bye bye Lions

Cry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:53 pm

TightHEAD wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Laugh  a village is missing you today.
Calm down mate

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:53 pm

marty2086 wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

The Lions has to sustain itself, the union its visiting plus the home unions so they need to generate serious revenue

Greed, nothing more nothing less. oh and shirt sales. thumbsup
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:54 pm

TightHEAD wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Laugh  a village is missing you today.

So you cant refute what I say so you try calling me an idiot? Very mature but seems to be the level you work at

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:54 pm

TightHEAD wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Greed, nothing more nothing less. oh and shirt sales. thumbsup

Sorry it upsets your communist sensibilities

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:56 pm

"Without (one word) Test rugby the game wouldn't be around" Laugh
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:59 pm

So other than some poor spelling can you refute any of that?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:01 pm

TightHEAD wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Well now I'm down as not being a particularly indulgent Lions fan either Wink  .... except for the fun and games when all the lovely supporters who always start out pretending they love each other at the beginning then collapse into a fist fight of kicking and screaming and biting and hair pulling to defend the honour of their................. individual countries.  That's fun.

The Lions proves that Nation/Country beats the Lions loyalty each and every time.  I suppose I should really love the Lions for that reason alone.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:05 pm

marty2086 wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

They have to sustain themselves. That is true - just like the clubs in fact.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:09 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Does SH club rugby suck ebop? Don't catch much of it.
Some of it is really good 7.5, brilliant in fact

I watch a lot of it

But I'd rather watch SA or Australia v Lions than a SR game or any club game out of the NH including finals

More at stake ain't there

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

They have to sustain themselves. That is true - just like the clubs in fact.

Not like the clubs as clubs can be propped up by wealthy backers

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:13 pm

So it's more to do with whats at stake than quality? Autumn internationals for instance don't have as much relying on them as say a Newcastle Falcons vs Bristol (could possibly anyway). I'm not entirely sure you will state your preference for watching Newcastle (and no one should!). I'll go back to we shouldn't press ganging anyone and it's up to WR to hopefully push forward some agreements to protect the game at all levels including extra internationals out of the calander and issues of clubs trying to buy players into retiring.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:14 pm

No there's nothing at stake,it's a once off series.There's a huge amount of luck involved and it really has no relevance to anything.Who really cares that the Lions beat Oz last time,once the players go back to their countries everyone moves on.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:16 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:No there's nothing at stake,it's a once off series.There's a huge amount of luck involved and it really has no relevance to anything.Who really cares that the Lions beat Oz last time,once the players go back to their countries everyone moves on.

That's a bit like any game or competition then?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:22 pm

No imo,the winning fans will always be bragging about winning the league/cup last season and the teams/players will have rivalries and relevant history with each other,this applies to both club and internationals.

With the Lions it will be another 8 years before they play Oz again so the previous series is irrelevant.NZ don't care about the Lions record v Oz/SA,it's a completely one off series and there's no chance for a rivalry to build up as there's a 12 year gap before the teams meet again.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:25 pm

Im sure Robbie Deans wouldn't agree with its irrelevance, from what Ive read as well quite a few ABs and their fans and media are excited about it

Its the nature of the series as much as any history that creates its meaning

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:28 pm

Time to knock it on the head, the Lions need Culling. The Baa baas are more relevant.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:30 pm

marty2086 wrote:Im sure Robbie Deans wouldn't agree with its irrelevance, from what Ive read as well quite a few ABs and their fans and media are excited about it

Laugh Kiwis love it as its a massive pay day.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:33 pm

I don't get paid anything

What are you on about?

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:35 pm

TightHEAD wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Im sure Robbie Deans wouldn't agree with its irrelevance, from what Ive read as well quite a few ABs and their fans and media are excited about it

Laugh Kiwis love it as its a massive pay day.

You seem obsessed with money and how others think of it and rely on it

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:35 pm

Hotels, bars etc etc will all benefit from the Lions coming to town.

The meaning of the Lions has been lost to provide the host nation a massive boost of £$£$£$£$£$£s........
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:37 pm

And entertainment

But you'd rather watch club rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:37 pm

Nice to know you are so intune with the Kiwi psyche, you seem to know everyone elses mind better than your own since you have not been able to stick to one coherent point through this whole thread

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:39 pm

If the last tour was anything to go by then yes.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:39 pm

I'd say he would.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/wallabies-woeful-bledisloe-cup-record-puts-new-spin-on-robbie-deans-era-20160831-gr5hyl.html

"The chronology of events is important here. Deans' card was marked before that 41-13 capitulation in the third and deciding Sydney Test. In the hours after that match at ANZ Stadium, I was told by an ARU official "to keep Tuesday free". As it turns out, that was the day McKenzie was unveiled as his successor. But things were moving behind the scenes far earlier than that. At the turn of 2013 there were those in Queensland whispering in Quade Cooper's ear to sign a new contract with the ARU because Deans would get the chop."

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next