The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro12 predictions 2016/17

+17
bsando
Don Alfonso
wayne
brennomac
the-goon
Notch
George Carlin
True Raven
mikey_dragon
RiscaGame
Kingshu
cakeordeath
Pot Hale
international198
Senlac
LordDowlais
profitius
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pro12 predictions 2016/17 - Page 2 Empty Pro12 predictions 2016/17

Post by profitius Tue 30 Aug 2016 - 10:45

First topic message reminder :

This is going to be the toughest to call yet. There are so many questions that it's very hard to tell who will finish where. Some teams might have done good business in the transfer market but that doesn't always translate to success.

1. Leinster. They finished top last season and had Graham Henry helping out over the summer. They've a strong squad with new players who are highly rated, like Joey Carbery.
2. Glasgow. They've been the most consistent side for a few years now. They've lost their title winning Fijians but once they get momentum they are very hard to stop.
3. Ulster. They've an abundance of back talent available. Piutau being the latest signing. The pack could be their undoing and despite the talent I'm not sure the coaches can get the most out of the talent they have. I expect them to put up some big scores.
4. Connacht. Wouldn't surprise me to see them topping the league again. Reason I have them in 4th is because they lost a few quality players and sometimes teams who win a tournament find it hard to win 2 in a row. They play a great brand of rugby si I expect them to be there about at the business end if the season again. And they win the league with many young fellas who will be a year more experienced.

5. Scarlets. They've made some good signings and play a good brand of rugby. They seem to have had a big clear out of the squad though which might weaken them when there are injuries.
6. Munster. New coaches coming in who are highly thought of. Munster also have strengthened areas of the squad like second row. I think they'll be much better this season than last season.

7. Ospreys. It's unusual to have them so far down but it's where they finished last season and I'm not sure if much has changed. Their fans will certainly be expecting better than 7th!
8. Cardiff Blues. There's a bit of buzz around the Blues with their new signings. Still, they're always saying this will be their year but they're like a team in limbo.
9. Edinburgh. They're talking about finishing in the top 4 which shows their ambition. I think I might be underrating them because I don't know too much about their signings and they're tough to beat especially at home. As I said earlier, it's tough to predict this season.
10. Treviso. I'm expecting them to be the most improved side. They've new back line talent, new coach, new fitness coaches in etc. I think this year we'll see the Italians more competitive, especially Treviso.
11. Zebra. I'd say they'll be slightly more competitive this season but passed out by Treviso and not good enough to rise further up the table.
12. Dragons. They seem to be gradually sinking down the table year on year and this could be the season they hit bottom.

https://www.606v2.com/t60350-pro-12-predictions

Last edited by profitius on Thu 1 Sep 2016 - 11:32; edited 1 time in total
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Pro12 predictions 2016/17 - Page 2 Empty Re: Pro12 predictions 2016/17

Post by TJ Sat 10 Sep 2016 - 23:00

Pot Hale wrote:.......................... Irishman Tommy Seymour hammering in the nails four times.

Its Tennessee Tam. ! Not an oirishman at all

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 10 Sep 2016 - 23:07

So after Two games: ( I haven't seen them all)

Glasgow look the team to beat, Ospreys sitting pretty at the top of the table. Connacht looking nothing like the team of last year. Edinburgh seem destined for mid table mediocrity and going to struggle to get to the European cup. leinster only so/so but should be top 4 material

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 11:10

wayne wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:Well whatever Ospreys are doing, it's working.   Another smacking handed out to Connacht today who are looking decidedly lacklustre already this season.   It's going to be a tough few weeks for them before the break for November Internationals.  I can't see them faring too well in the Franglo with how they're playing at the minute.

Leinster have a touch of the lacklustre and humdrum too.   Glasgow well deserved their victory with Irishman Tommy Seymour hammering in the nails four times.

Munster were tucked away nicely by Cardiff but may yet get a top 6 spot only because the other sides below them are so cack and that includes many people's hopefuls - Connacht and Scarlets.

Still it's only Round 2, plenty of time for more catastrophes and cartwheels....
PH I said a few weeks ago on a different topic that we would be back in our normal Welsh position, all because of the travails of last season and some very astute signings, things are looking up in Ospreylia.

It's great to see, Wayne. But you'll pardon me if I say that if either Cardiff or Scarlets can get their act together and compete for honours - much better for the league overall if that was the outcome.

A Welsh-Scottish final would be ideal.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 11:27

Cardiff certainly look like they're getting back to their old selves. Imagine if they still had Halfpenny, Roberts, Davies, etc playing for them. It was pretty sad to see them run into the ground by dipstick owners in previous year but they've finally sorted things out down at the arms park. Cardiff Blues are becoming my favorite Welsh team to watch again. I'm a pessimist so I'm not sure if Scarlets will be up there, they should be with that team. If we're honest they have had a decent team for a few years now and have rarely been within a realistic chance of winning the league or Europe - that's some deep underachievement. The way their fans continuously hold on to 'almost reaching the play-offs last season' is very Turkish. I'd like to see them improve of course, welsh rugby needs it.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 11:30

TJ wrote:So after Two games: ( I haven't seen them all)

Glasgow look the team to beat, Ospreys sitting pretty at the top of the table.  Connacht looking nothing like the team of last year.  Edinburgh seem destined for mid table mediocrity and going to struggle to get to the European cup.  leinster only so/so but should be top 4 material

Well doesn't that makes Ospreys the team to beat? Glasgow still look awesome I agree with you there, but both have swept aside the champions in the opening two weeks. Maybe both of them are the team to beat? Leinster look on the wane, I thought they'd get better this year. I still expect them to dish out a few harsh beatings to some in the league but I think they'll fall behind Munster and possibly become third best Irish team with the mighty Ulster as the top Irish team. Connacht as the weakest from the Irish it would seem.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 12:30

After 2 rounds the way I see it is this

1. Glasgow
2. Ulster
3. Leinster
4. Ospreys
5. Blues
6. Munster
7. Connacht
8. Scarlets
9. Treviso
10. Dragons
11. Edinburgh
12. Zebre
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 12:31

mikey_dragon wrote:

Glasgow look the team to beat, Ospreys sitting pretty at the top of the table.  Connacht looking nothing like the team of last year.  Edinburgh seem destined for mid table mediocrity and going to struggle to get to the European cup.  leinster only so/so but should be top 4 material

Well doesn't that makes Ospreys the team to beat? Glasgow still look awesome I agree with you there, but both have swept aside the champions in the opening two weeks. Maybe both of them are the team to beat? Leinster look on the wane, I thought they'd get better this year. I still expect them to dish out a few harsh beatings to some in the league but I think they'll fall behind Munster and possibly become third best Irish team with the mighty Ulster as the top Irish team. Connacht as the weakest from the Irish it would seem.

You know what mikey, we got off to a difficult start but I'm starting to warm to you now Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 12:50

I thought Connacht played well yesterday and just tired in the last 20. they have a fair amount of players to come back.

Buckley, White, Heenan, Masterson, O'Brien, Roux, Boshoff, Fox-Matamua, Leader, Parata, Robb etc.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 13:12

profitius wrote:I thought Connacht played well yesterday and just tired in the last 20. they have a fair amount of players to come back.

Buckley, White, Heenan, Masterson, O'Brien, Roux, Boshoff, Fox-Matamua, Leader, Parata, Robb etc.

I was wondering about that Profitius as to who Lam still had in his locker. Has Buckley not played already? Ditto Fox-Matamua? Roux, Heenan, Leader and Boshoff should definitely add something to their game. The full list published by the club was:

Buckley, Nathan White, Quinn Roux, Andrew Browne, Ben Marshall, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Jake Heenan, Sean O’Brien, Eoghan Masterson, John Cooney, Stephen Kerins, Conor Lowndes, Craig Ronaldson, Marnitz Boshoff, Rory Parata, Peter Robb, Darragh Leader, Cian Kelleher, Ciaran Gaffney.

I'd also pick Ronaldson and Browne out of that lot as giving them something extra.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 13:25

I think Connacht were always going to struggle more from players leaving and not having a World Cup that decimates all their rivals. I still think Lam will get his players back and they will be a threat again. The Italians are looking much improved as well. Edinburgh are the ones I can't read as when the weather gets a lot worse, their pack will be able to take over games much more effectively and Weir can be an effective kicking 10. After the first 2 rounds I feel like that is a reasonable table.

Glasgow
Ulster
Leinster
Ospreys
Scarlets
Blues
Munster
Connacht
Edinburgh
Treviso
Dragons
Zebre

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 13:34

Notch wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

You know what mikey, we got off to a difficult start but I'm starting to warm to you now Wink

Hug

Glasgow are great yes, but I think Ulster might be a bit stronger up front - plus they have an awesome backline even without some of those injured players like Gilroy, Jackson, Piatau, etc. Pienaar seems to be the leader at the back, early days yet but he's in great form and that will no doubt inspire some of the youngsters coming into the team. Things will get interesting once you have Best, Herbst and the Bok at No.8 starting for you. I've quite enjoyed the opening two weeks of the pro12 (bar my team's performances), may it continue for the rest of the season and beyond!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 14:08

Our season will be determined by the AI and 6N call ups, for the AIs we will not have Welsh players for Dragons (h) then Munster and Glasgow (a), for the 6N we have Zebre (a) Munster and Glasgow (h) and then finally Edinburgh (a). IMO we will be missing AWJ, BBBD, Biggar and Webb, Lydiate, Tips, King, Baldwin either Smith or James and possibly Sam Davies, that will decimate us it could leave us with the following players if they are not injured. Evans, Hassler, Beck/John, Fonotia/Matavesi, Walker, Price, Habberfield, Smith/James, Parry, Arhip, Thornton, Beard, Cracknell, Underhill, Ardron with Gustafson/Otten, Thomas, Fia, Ashley, Baker, Aubrey, Beck/John, Grabham.
If that 23 are available I will be very happy, the fall off from that squad is phenomenal. Will the likes of Underhill and Beck be fit, will Fonotia have arrived by the AI. The error in signing Brendon Leonard when he can't be in the same match day squad as Ardron and Hassler was ridiculous. If we are anywhere near that squad I expect us to win the majority of those games, it's extremely optimistic to think that there wont be a number of players outside of the ones I've named playing in those games, that is where our problems arise.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 14:19

Wayne - glasgow lose more players than anyone. Deepish squad tho

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 15:15

TJ wrote:Wayne - glasgow lose more players than anyone.  Deepish squad tho
Totally agree TJ, it is when we go down to the next set of players that we really drop off.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 11 Sep 2016 - 15:51

Aye - it seems to be one of the issues with the welsh teams. I call it the leinster lesson - you need 30+ players who are worth a first team place to cope with rotation, injuries and international callups.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 1 Jan 2017 - 15:13

Half way stage now. Predictions well off so far! I suppose thats good for the league
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2