The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fights You're Glad DIDN'T Happen

+3
AdamT
milkyboy
hazharrison
7 posters

Go down

Fights You're Glad DIDN'T Happen Empty Fights You're Glad DIDN'T Happen

Post by hazharrison Thu 01 Sep 2016, 8:05 pm

Seen a few threads where we've lamented fights that got away but what about fights we're thankful didn't happen?

Read recently that had Leonard found a way past Camacho in '97, he was potentially lining up a fight with Roy Jones or Oscar De la Hoya (guess that would have had to have happened at 154).

That would have been horrendous!

Any others you've been happy to see slide?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Fights You're Glad DIDN'T Happen Empty Re: Fights You're Glad DIDN'T Happen

Post by milkyboy Thu 01 Sep 2016, 9:35 pm

Guess there's a fair few potential massacres that have been mooted but didn't come off.

There's a few where you can have mixed feelings about though. Nelson mcguigan fits that for me. From a boxing perspective it was an obvious big fight that should have happened. I was a big fan of zoomy, but I liked mcguigan... And I suspect it would have ended badly for him. So I'm kind of happy that mcguigan didn't get the likely battering... Even though as a boxing fan I'd like to have seen the fight.

Given the lack of love for Barry round here I suspect that might be a minority view.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 01 Sep 2016, 9:46 pm

Mayweather vs Margarito.

Would of been a replica of Baldomir and would of been a stinker. Would he have even got the credit after it?

Jones Jr vs Tyson. I don't think I would of enjoyed seeing a washed up Tyson being embarrassed by career middle/light heavy.

Was Hopkins vs Ward ever on the cards? I think Hopkins mentioned he wouldn't fight Ward.

Thank Heavens. Don't think I could watch 12 rounds, with hardly a single punch thrown.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 01 Sep 2016, 9:54 pm

Obviously the above aren't the best picks and I understand Floyd did fight Baldomir rather than plaster hands.

It's a tough thread. Can't think of many, I'm glad that didn't happen.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 01 Sep 2016, 9:58 pm

AdamT wrote:Mayweather vs Margarito.

Would of been a replica of Baldomir and would of been a stinker. Would he have even got the credit after it?

Jones Jr vs Tyson. I don't think I would of enjoyed seeing a washed up Tyson being embarrassed by career middle/light heavy.

Was Hopkins vs Ward ever on the cards? I think Hopkins mentioned he wouldn't fight Ward.

Thank Heavens. Don't think I could watch 12 rounds, with hardly a single punch thrown.

Baldy was no Margarito! That would have been a fight - especially before plaster gate.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 01 Sep 2016, 9:59 pm

I still think Floyd would of got on his bike and not been touched. Who knows, Marg was relentless and strong.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 01 Sep 2016, 10:01 pm

Hatton vs Khan/Brook when he came back to fight Senchenko is another.

Jones vs Benn, also. Benn would have been massacred when that one was mooted.

Bruno vs Mercer, too. Could anyone make a case for Frank in that one? Could have been another ugly KO.

Foreman vs Holmes (battle of the Granddads).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 02 Sep 2016, 8:37 am

Briggs vs Haye

Oh wait.....

Collins vs Jones (Years later)

Nelson vs Huck (Not sure if he was kidding or not....)

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 02 Sep 2016, 8:39 am

AdamT wrote:I still think Floyd would of got on his bike and not been touched. Who knows, Marg was relentless and strong.

Think that would have been a difficult style and a difficult fight for Floyd

Margarito was relentless and threw a 1000 punches a fight, Pacquiao and Mosley beat him by hurting him consistently, even after Pacquiao rearranged his face he kept coming

Its a similar style to Maidana/Castillo, I think that style gives Floyd problems

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 02 Sep 2016, 11:05 am

Similar to Maidana/Castillo but with better chin, longer reach (would have been one of the only guys Floyd fought with a longer reach) and arguably more power.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Sep 2016, 12:14 pm

As mentioned, Hatton/Khan. Think Khan would have been utterly unbearable if he'd won.

hazharrison wrote:Bruno vs Mercer, too. Could anyone make a case for Frank in that one? Could have been another ugly KO.
Are you forgetting Bruno owned Lewis with his jab when they fought?!?!?!?! There's a post about it somewhere on the boards....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Sep 2016, 12:15 pm

Lewis/Wlad...I'm all for a good KO but dear Lord above that would have been sickening. Sanders did Wlad a HUGE favour.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 02 Sep 2016, 12:49 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
AdamT wrote:I still think Floyd would of got on his bike and not been touched. Who knows, Marg was relentless and strong.

Margarito was relentless and threw a 1000 punches a fight, Pacquiao and Mosley beat him by hurting him consistently, even after Pacquiao rearranged his face he kept coming

Its a similar style to Maidana/Castillo, I think that style gives Floyd problems

So did Floyd!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 02 Sep 2016, 1:31 pm

He wouldn't of thrown 1000 punches against Floyd. Floyd hits harder, than given credit for. He would of countered him silly.

Suppose there was always the chance, the cheating c..t hits Floyd way a brick.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Sep 2016, 1:36 pm

AdamT wrote:He wouldn't of thrown 1000 punches against Floyd. Floyd hits harder, than given credit for. He would of countered him silly.

Suppose there was always the chance, the cheating c..t hits Floyd way a brick.
It makes me sad to think it never happened now!

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 02 Sep 2016, 1:46 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:Briggs vs Haye

Oh wait.....

I wish Jones (or Calzaghe) vs Collins had happened. It would have finally shut him up.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Sep 2016, 1:55 pm

hazharrison wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:Briggs vs Haye

Oh wait.....

I wish Jones (or Calzaghe) vs Collins had happened. It would have finally shut him up.
No it wouldn't!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 02 Sep 2016, 2:31 pm

I wish Calzaghe hadn't of fought Jones. I think he believes he beat a peak Roy.

Calzaghes top 10 p4p

1. Calzaghe
2. Jeff Lacey
3. Jones Jr
4. Sugar Ray Robinson
5. Mikkel Kessler
6. Ali
7. Tucker Pudwill
8. Enzo Mac
9. Chris Eubank (the version he fought)
10. Sugar Ray Leonard

Honourable mentions, Bhop, Nathan Cleverly and Peter Manfredo.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 02 Sep 2016, 2:33 pm

Tocker Pudwill and Lacy, for any spelling nerds.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Sep 2016, 3:48 pm

hazharrison wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:

So did Floyd!

Hahahaha

Certainly was a fight that people wanted to see back then. Margarito's size, strength and style would have been a big factor in there. Can't see him standing off or trying to outbox him like several other fighters that had size & strength advantages over Floyd as well as a lower skill set. Margarito would have done exactly what he did in every fight, coming forward throwing punches. Still was never a fan of him so for that reason happy not to have seen it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 02 Sep 2016, 3:59 pm

hazharrison wrote:Seen a few threads where we've lamented fights that got away but what about fights we're thankful didn't happen?

Read recently that had Leonard found a way past Camacho in '97, he was potentially lining up a fight with Roy Jones or Oscar De la Hoya (guess that would have had to have happened at 154).

Also read once that Leonard was trying to get Hagler back into the ring around the time he fought Camacho. 10 year anniversary or something like that.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Sep 2016, 4:03 pm

Atila wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Seen a few threads where we've lamented fights that got away but what about fights we're thankful didn't happen?

Also read once that Leonard was trying to get Hagler back into the ring around the time he fought Camacho. 10 year anniversary or something like that.
Heard SRL suggested to Marv that he (Marv) win the rematch setting up a massive money spinning third fight and Hagler was disgusted at the idea of anyone throwing a fight for financial gain.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 02 Sep 2016, 7:38 pm

After Tyson took Tucker's IBF belt...Trevor Berbick became IBF number 1 contender.

Luckily he lost to Williams before the mandatory return fight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 02 Sep 2016, 8:06 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Atila wrote:

Heard SRL suggested to Marv that he (Marv) win the rematch setting up a massive money spinning third fight and Hagler was disgusted at the idea of anyone throwing a fight for financial gain.

Eubank said more or less the same thing to Benn (this was from Benn). Begged him to do a third fight and they'd just go through the motions, take the money and run.

Unfortunately, Benn being Benn, he's now training hard and chasing Eubank because he wants a real fight!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down