The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Round 2

+23
Rugby Fan
mikey_dragon
BigTrevsbigmac
TightHEAD
Bathman_in_London
WELL-PAST-IT
Heaf
nathan
Bathite
Scottrf
doctor_grey
kingelderfield
Welly
HongKongCherry
propdavid_london
sad_gimp
formerly known as Sam
stub
Ozzy3213
Geordie
Recwatcher16
yappysnap
LondonTiger
27 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 2 - Page 6 Empty Aviva Premiership - Round 2

Post by LondonTiger Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Table:

Aviva Premiership - Round 2 - Page 6 Table10

Fixtures:

Friday 9th September

19:45 Worcester Warriors v Gloucester Rugby   BT Sport
20:15 Sale Sharks v Harlequins  

Saturday 10th September

15:00 Bath Rugby v Newcastle Falcons    
15:00 Leicester Tigers v Wasps    BT Sport

Sunday 11th September

15:00 Bristol Rugby v Northampton Saints
15:00 Exeter Chiefs v Saracens    BT Sport

Previews

Yet again Gloucester feature in the Friday night televised fixture. Having capitulated last week, after playing so well for 50 minutes, they will be seeking an 80 minute performance as they take the short trip to near neighbours Worcester. The Warrioirs were game gainst a misfiring Saracens at twickenham last week, but never really threatened and like their visitors ran out of steam in the last 30 minutes. With their absence list unlikely to recede any, the home team will have to rely on spirit and determination against a side with more class - but a fragile core. Gloucester should have too much ability for the Warriors, but it is easy to foresee another implosion. If Warriors can keep this tight they can prey on Glaws nerves - but do they have the firepower to score the points when needed?

Friday evening concludes in Salford as two sides have been castigated by either the coaches or the fans for poor performances meet. Main difference of course is that Sale lost while Harlequins won. Friday nights at home usually see Sale fired up and usually victorious. It will need a much better performance than they saw last week from the forwards, but there is every chance that they will be too organised for a Quins team that seemed strangely lethargic. Quins fans will want to see much more from their backs, starting with skipper Care showing the verve they are used to.

Saturday starts at the wreck where hosts Bath entertain a Falcons team who also won last week. Both teams struggled for attacking fluency last week, and both sides could see major changes in personnel. Todd Blackadder will be looking at the physio's room with some trepidation due to the volume of injuries suffered last week, while Dean Richards is almost famous now for rotating his team for away fixtures. Even short of certain players, and with their issues at 12, on 2015 form Bath would win this game with some ease. That form has not been seen for a while though and Falcons fans will believe they can cause an upset. In the end it coudl well come down to which team has the individual who creates something from nothing. Sinotti v Roku, Joseph v Goneva if you will.

The M69 derby (less sniggering from Saints fans at the back please) will see both teams looking for more of the good stuff they showed last week, and much less of the bad and the ugly.  Leicester spent 50 minutes showing all the frailties of execution that bedeviled them in the big games last season. Not wanting to take anything away from Gloucester who showed exemplary hands and support running in that spell, it could be argued that Tigers gifted 3 of the tries with two interceptions (Tait and Betham) and Manu's crass attempts to charge out of the line. Defence coach Scott Hansen will be drilling the big man all week it is to be hoped. Meanwhile Wasps showed some good invention in the backs but looked a little light of firepower up front, especially at the breakdown. They will need to see a big improvement in that area if they are not to be over-run by tigers, while the home team will need to improve their support running and just play with a little more nous rather than trying to force everything.

On Sunday we will see what may be the first AP match at Ashton Gate, the lastest groundshare for premiership new boys Bristol. Having played about as well as they could have hoped at Twickenham, yet lost, they host a Saints team smarting from a home defeat in Round 1. Unlike Bristol, it would be hard for anyone to say Northampton played well, yet they still managed to secure the LBP and their defence was strong. Saints fans will hope that DoR Mallinder gives them the midfield they desire and that the pack fronts up. They were seriously poor last week. Saints will need to put in a big performance this week and if they play anything close to their ability they will be too strong. Come up short on that though and Bristol will look for the upset.

Sunday's televised game gives us a repeat of last seasons Premiership Final. Exeter looked strong up front at the Ricoh, but seemed to struggle for fluency in the backs. Everything seemed very direct and was meat and drink for the Wasps defence. Chiefs certainly have the forwards to put the champions under pressure, but may need to play a more territorial game if they want their first win of the season. Despite being some way under par against Worcester, Saracens still won easily, demonstrating their strength and overall class across the pitch. Even if Exeter can gain the upper-hand up front they have that fearsome defence that will force errors from even the best teams and enough players who can thrive on the counter-attack to score the tries needed for victory. Exeter will look to use their driving lineout which has worked so well against ?Saracens in the past, Saracens will try and make Exeter run from deep.

Predictions:

Gloucester by 7
Sale by 5
Bath by 10
Wasps by 30
Saints by 7+
Sarries by 6

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 2 - Page 6 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 2

Post by LondonTiger Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:21 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Manu normally leads the way top the physio room!

Via the barbecue

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:44 am

TightHEAD wrote:It was the follow through that did him in slow motion, as the TMO said it looked ok at full speed. But had he not caught the players chin he would have been fine and got away with it, like so many do every weekend up and down this green and pleasant land.

Agree completely. It's technically illegal but rarely punished. Due to the Glaws player being sparko the officials take a closer look than normal.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:05 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Manu normally leads the way top the physio room!

laughing

On a serious note, didn't Banahan do the same thing, knock a guy out and not get penalised? IIRC it was against Scotland.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:13 am

yappysnap wrote:
propdavid_london wrote:As a Quins supporter I have a rather negative outlook for the season ahead!  Not ideal after only 2 games but I see the same problems from last season continuing.  Little progression and mostly the same coaching team - who couldn't stop the rot before so how can they this time!

Nice run of games coming up - where I think we would be lucky to even get a loosing bonus point on current form.  

Bad tactical kicking between Care and Chisholm really needs to be addressed.  While other senior players really need to step up.  
Missing Easter in the pack really seems to be an issue.  

Unless there is a 'clicking moment' at some point this season we will be looking at bottom half of table and in the relegation scrap.

Agree with all that. We look clueless at the moment. I pray we suddenly click and play to our potential. I worry the coaches are just doing the same!!

I currently have little faith that this coaching set up are the right people to get the team out of their slump, and the general sloppiness with skills is alarming - the fact that it has affected most of the players makes me concerned about the coaching and direction, but it's early days
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:15 am

I agree, I really think we need a far more analytical and stern coach in the mix somewhere. I hate to say it but someone like Andy Farrell might have helped.

Everything just seems too relaxed, too chummy and without consequence. And far too much of this 'Quins Way'.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:19 am

yappysnap wrote:I agree, I really think we need a far more analytical and stern coach in the mix somewhere. I hate to say it but someone like Andy Farrell might have helped.

Everything just seems too relaxed, too chummy and without consequence. And far too much of this 'Quins Way'.

Jones will give Care and maybe others a kick up the arse - can see Danny staying with us through the International periods this year, he, and I think he's a cracking player, has been the worst in the last 2 matches that I've ever seen him. And we really struggle then as our tempo has always come from 9. But it's a teamwide failing as well

ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:35 am

Yea part of me hopes he's taken into the England training camp, given a roasting and then returned to Quins to hopefully tear it up...

If the same could happen with Marler, Buchanan, Synkler, Twomey, Clifford, Wallace...

I'd be happy

Seriously, though Clifford could do with the same.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:31 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
yappysnap wrote:
propdavid_london wrote:As a Quins supporter I have a rather negative outlook for the season ahead!  Not ideal after only 2 games but I see the same problems from last season continuing.  Little progression and mostly the same coaching team - who couldn't stop the rot before so how can they this time!

Nice run of games coming up - where I think we would be lucky to even get a loosing bonus point on current form.  

Bad tactical kicking between Care and Chisholm really needs to be addressed.  While other senior players really need to step up.  
Missing Easter in the pack really seems to be an issue.  

Unless there is a 'clicking moment' at some point this season we will be looking at bottom half of table and in the relegation scrap.

Agree with all that. We look clueless at the moment. I pray we suddenly click and play to our potential. I worry the coaches are just doing the same!!

I currently have little faith that this coaching set up are the right people to get the team out of their slump, and the general sloppiness with skills is alarming - the fact that it has affected most of the players makes me concerned about the coaching and direction, but it's early days
I really don't see Quins as relegation material. Too much competition. I think the talent will rise and you will be OK.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6