Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by GunsGerms on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 11:52 am

First topic message reminder :

Apparently, according to Ian McGeechan anyway Gatland has been given the job again.

GunsGerms

Posts : 12541
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 39
Location : Ireland

Back to top Go down


Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Guest on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 9:32 pm

It's the start of the end Gwlad.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 9:40 pm

Gwlad wrote:Not sure he'll ever get offered again. Not sure if i have ever heard of anyone snubbing Lions.

Interesting point.

Who is the Lord Overseer of the Lions? Is it one man in a room with no windows or is it a consensus between all the Unions involved? It might appear flippant but it actually is a serious question. I know little of the background workings of how the Lions comes together every four years and then disappears for another four? Are there dedicated people who keep the Lions office running full time or does the brand just materialise again about a year out from the tour year?

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Cyril on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 9:44 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Not sure he'll ever get offered again. Not sure if i have ever heard of anyone snubbing Lions.

Interesting point.

Who is the Lord Overseer of the Lions?  Is it one man in a room with no windows or is it a consensus between all the Unions involved?  It might appear flippant but it actually is a serious question.  I know little of the background workings of how the Lions comes together every four years and then disappears for another four?  Are there dedicated people who keep the Lions office running full time or does the brand just materialise again about a year out from the tour year?
I would imagine it's based in Dublin Whistle

Cyril

Posts : 6747
Join date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 9:50 pm

Well there you go - thus why I know nothing about it. Dublin is full of secret handshakes and horses' heads left on pillows. Devilish place to get on in.

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Gwlad on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 9:50 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Not sure he'll ever get offered again. Not sure if i have ever heard of anyone snubbing Lions.

Interesting point.

Who is the Lord Overseer of the Lions?  Is it one man in a room with no windows or is it a consensus between all the Unions involved?  It might appear flippant but it actually is a serious question.  I know little of the background workings of how the Lions comes together every four years and then disappears for another four?  Are there dedicated people who keep the Lions office running full time or does the brand just materialise again about a year out from the tour year?

I can't imagine the brand is dormant for 4 years at a time, its a huge institution. There must be an office that keeps things ticking along regarding media, logistics and paying Dr Robson etc. But i expect a committee is formed 2 years out (2015) that selects the coach (2016) to tour in 2017. Then he selects his team. So in effect that means the Lions is only inactive 1 year in 4.

And though i understand Gregor's commitment and know he is a highly respected coach i do think he should have accepted the offer. On the other hand i wish Wales had a coach who placed their progress so highly and wasn't using his job and his sabbaticals to try and get another job.


Gwlad

Posts : 4224
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Guest on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 9:54 pm

I always thought the Lions was run out of Ian McGeechan's box room.


Last edited by Griff on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 9:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 9:54 pm

But my point is that it must have a central hiring and firing being (or in other words a CEO of sorts)? If it exists all the time, surely someone must have been given a leadership role. I know I'd probably find it all out had I bothered to search it up on Google but.............. I'm lazy.

No harm done, just thought someone might know if the Lions had a main name attached to it.

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 9:55 pm

Griff wrote:I always thought it was run out of Ian McGeehchan's box room.

Now you're getting close to my own past suspicions.

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Cyril on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 9:57 pm

Griff wrote:I always thought the Lions was run out of Ian McGeechan's box room.
Laugh Yep, with little framed photos of all the previous head coaches on a dressing table. The one of SCW is turned to face the wall.

Cyril

Posts : 6747
Join date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 10:05 pm

Cyril wrote:
Griff wrote:I always thought the Lions was run out of Ian McGeechan's box room.
Laugh Yep, with little framed photos of all the previous head coaches on a dressing table. The one of SCW is turned to face the wall.

At least Woodward turned up when ordered....almost bankrupted all contributing Natiions in the process ...but at least turned up for duty.

McGeechan has new fish to fry now.  Disobedience to and denigration of the Brand.  He's already plotting the torture methods to use on the three coaches who can no longer be named in the hallowed caverns of Lions HQ (Jones, Townsend, Schmidt)

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Guest on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 10:05 pm

Here you go chaps. Took a bit of googling. The list of directors past and present reads like a who's who of B&I rugby! Who's Thelma O'Driscoll though?! Brian's mum???

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/IE318999/BRITISH-LIONS-LIMITED/companies-house-data

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by The Great Aukster on Fri 02 Dec 2016, 10:25 pm

Don't believe a word of that! The Lions are sustained by Bilderberg through their unofficial go-between - Alistair Campbell.

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5070
Join date : 2011-06-09

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by uncle_nigel on Sat 03 Dec 2016, 10:16 am

I had hopes of the Lions winning a test match, but as soon as Howley is announced as assistant coach those hopes will be gone. I mean, if the fact that Wales have not once but twice played their worst ever rugby under this guy isn't enough to show he is out of his depth then what is it going to take?

I'm assuming the position is backs coach - there's surely other personnel available? I'd take anyone over Howley who's scrap book features one of two moves:
1. Inside centre (Roberts) on the crash ball;
2. Miss-pass to outside centre (Davies) who then kicks the ball off his left boot.

uncle_nigel

Posts : 262
Join date : 2016-11-19

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Kingshu on Sat 03 Dec 2016, 12:44 pm

I don't blame Townsend for turning it down, Schmidt either if he was offered it.

Both are international head coaches (Townsend will be), and neither would accept being under Gatland, they are at least an equal to him.

Imagine the 2018 6 nations and the psychology games Gatland would play if they worked under him, it would be Gatland lording over them like he's better.

I think maybe if a more humble coach took the head coach role it may be different, but I don't see other international head coaches accepting a role under another one anymore.

Kingshu

Posts : 3659
Join date : 2011-05-30

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by majesticimperialman on Sat 03 Dec 2016, 1:13 pm

Is it true that Howley as been given assistant coach for the Lions? Surely this cannot be. How can the WRU justify Both Gatland and Howley going on the Lions tour? AGAIN.

majesticimperialman

Posts : 5168
Join date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by uncle_nigel on Sat 03 Dec 2016, 1:15 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Is it true that Howley as been given assistant coach for the Lions? Surely this cannot be. How can the WRU justify Both Gatland and Howley going on the Lions tour? AGAIN.

What do they have to justify? Headscratch

uncle_nigel

Posts : 262
Join date : 2016-11-19

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Sun 04 Dec 2016, 8:44 pm

uncle_nigel wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Is it true that Howley as been given assistant coach for the Lions? Surely this cannot be. How can the WRU justify Both Gatland and Howley going on the Lions tour? AGAIN.

What do they have to justify? Headscratch

Losing two Head Coaches to the Lions inside of a few months? You'd have to apologise for negligence on that level Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Exiledinborders on Sun 04 Dec 2016, 9:10 pm

Kingshu wrote:I don't blame Townsend for turning it down, Schmidt either if he was offered it.

Both are international head coaches (Townsend will be), and neither would accept being under Gatland, they are at least an equal to him.
I am no great fan of Gatland but to describe Townsend who has achieved nothing at international level or European club level as "at least an equal of" Gatland is ridiculous. Gatland has a couple of grand slams to his name.

Exiledinborders

Posts : 1583
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : Scottish Borders

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Sun 04 Dec 2016, 9:23 pm

Why didn't Gatland ask Eddie? I'm sure Eddie would have learned a lot under his tutelage.

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Exiledinborders on Sun 04 Dec 2016, 9:25 pm

SecretFly wrote:Why didn't Gatland ask Eddie?  I'm sure Eddie would have learned a lot under his tutelage.
That would be an interesting conversation!

Exiledinborders

Posts : 1583
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : Scottish Borders

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Cardiff Dave on Sun 04 Dec 2016, 10:14 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Why didn't Gatland ask Eddie?  I'm sure Eddie would have learned a lot under his tutelage.
That would be an interesting conversation!

I'm thinking Eddie baby.

Cardiff Dave

Posts : 6596
Join date : 2011-11-29
Location : Cardiff reejun

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Poorfour on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 8:53 am

I'm assuming Eddie hasn't been asked given he and the RFU pre-emptively declared that he was busy with England.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Posts : 4217
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by TJ on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 10:07 am

exiled - both are coaches of a 6 nations team

TJ

Posts : 7351
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Exiledinborders on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 10:58 am

TJ wrote:exiled - both are coaches of a 6 nations team
Firstly, I was responding to a comment by Kingshu that both were "at least an equal" of Gatland. Had he written that they are equals of Gatland I would not have responded.

Secondly, just being appointed to a similar post does not make someone equal to a more experienced and successful holder of that post. There have been many managers of wendyball clubs. Not many would claim to be the equal of Alex Ferguson.

Exiledinborders

Posts : 1583
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : Scottish Borders

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Poorfour on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 11:33 am

TJ wrote:exiled - both are coaches of a 6 nations team

That's a little disingenuous, isn't it? Townsend has yet to take the reins for a match, whereas Gatland has been an international coach for over a decade and delivered Grand Slams and a Lions series win.

I'm a long way from being a fan of Gatland (and I am a fan of Toonie), but a rookie international coach can't really be said to be his equal, let alone more than his equal.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Posts : 4217
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 11:51 am

Exactly, Toonie is not currently the Scotland coach, he remains a club coach until next Summer so its jumping the gun a bit to put him on a level with Gatland at this stage

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Posts : 1523
Join date : 2013-11-07
Age : 33
Location : Brighton

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 12:01 pm

Poorfour wrote:I'm assuming Eddie hasn't been asked given he and the RFU pre-emptively declared that he was busy with England.

Well, would he have played second fiddle to Gats even if allowed go?
One of the National coaches is enough to be going. A touch overkill to expect three or four National coaches to head off with an army of 40 of the best players in the NH to slay one little Nation in the Pacific. It'd be bloomin' embarrassing. Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Poorfour on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 12:04 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Poorfour wrote:I'm assuming Eddie hasn't been asked given he and the RFU pre-emptively declared that he was busy with England.

Well, would he have played second fiddle to Gats even if allowed go?  
One of the National coaches is enough to be going.  A touch overkill to expect three or four National coaches to head off with an army of 40 of the best players in the NH to slay one little Nation in the Pacific.  It'd be bloomin' embarrassing. Wink

He's played second fiddle to Jake White with the Springboks - but might not be up for that now?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Posts : 4217
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 12:05 pm

I'm not entirely sure how much of this is Townsend's decision. I'd be surprised if he didn't want to tour with the lions as the attack coach. He's potentially just regurgitating the SRU's decision and passing it off as his own.

Not knowing his own thoughts this is pure speculation but it is an opinion I'm currently holding. In hindsight it might have been better to hold onto Cotter for the tour of Oz and let Townsend go with the Lions but that sounds way too sensible for me.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 7186
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 34
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by TJ on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 12:09 pm

I think Townsend would be stupid to go on the lions tour as assistant to ahead coach whos whole ethos of playing is completely opposite to Townsend

TJ

Posts : 7351
Join date : 2013-09-22

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 1:25 pm

TJ wrote:I think Townsend would be stupid to go on the lions tour as assistant to ahead coach whos whole ethos of playing is completely opposite to Townsend

That's one way to look at it I suppose.

The other is to say he can be a good influence on the said head coach to try and encourage him to play with a different attacking ethos.

If you are suggesting the decision was made because of polar opposite opinions on how to play the game, I would say to Townsend alienating yourself from the decision making and coaching process is a poor way to influence how the Lions will play.

Anyway, the Lions' loss is Scotland's gain. Townsend would have been a great attacking coach for the Lions.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 7186
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 34
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Sin é on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 1:26 pm

Gatland is too stubborn to listen to anyone. Its why he got the bullet in Ireland years ago (with his refusal to hire a defence coach).

Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13700
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Sin é on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 1:28 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
TJ wrote:I think Townsend would be stupid to go on the lions tour as assistant to ahead coach whos whole ethos of playing is completely opposite to Townsend

That's one way to look at it I suppose.

The other is to say he can be a good influence on the said head coach to try and encourage him to play with a different attacking ethos.

If you are suggesting the decision was made because of polar opposite opinions on how to play the game, I would say to Townsend alienating yourself from the decision making and coaching process is a poor way to influence how the Lions will play.

Anyway, the Lions' loss is Scotland's gain. Townsend would have been a great attacking coach for the Lions.

Don't think they would have time to sort it out. All the coaching staff would need to be on the same page before they go.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13700
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 1:34 pm

Sin é wrote:Gatland is too stubborn to listen to anyone. Its why he got the bullet in Ireland years ago (with his refusal to hire a defence coach).


His attack went pretty dull too when he ruled that O'Sullivan's backs weren't allowed have the ball......... Whistle

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by uncle_nigel on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 2:17 pm

SecretFly wrote:
uncle_nigel wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Is it true that Howley as been given assistant coach for the Lions? Surely this cannot be. How can the WRU justify Both Gatland and Howley going on the Lions tour? AGAIN.

What do they have to justify? Headscratch

Losing two Head Coaches to the Lions inside of a few months?   You'd have to apologise for negligence on that level Wink

So they would have to approve it rather than justify then? It's a sticky situation for me as a supporter. In the Wales set-up I want to be shot of Howley, forever, but for now on a temp basis will do. On the other hand I wouldn't want him in the Lions set-up for the sake of the 4 Nations that make up the Lions; your backs will be ruined.

uncle_nigel

Posts : 262
Join date : 2016-11-19

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 2:21 pm

uncle_nigel wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
uncle_nigel wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Is it true that Howley as been given assistant coach for the Lions? Surely this cannot be. How can the WRU justify Both Gatland and Howley going on the Lions tour? AGAIN.

What do they have to justify? Headscratch

Losing two Head Coaches to the Lions inside of a few months?   You'd have to apologise for negligence on that level Wink

So they would have to approve it rather than justify then? It's a sticky situation for me as a supporter. In the Wales set-up I want to be shot of Howley, forever, but for now on a temp basis will do. On the other hand I wouldn't want him in the Lions set-up for the sake of the 4 Nations that make up the Lions; your backs will be ruined.

They ain't my backs. My backs wear green. Smile

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by uncle_nigel on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 2:22 pm

They'd be wearing red, then return to the green ruined, no skills left whatsoever... Do you have any backs as big as forwards? Howley likes them.

uncle_nigel

Posts : 262
Join date : 2016-11-19

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 2:27 pm

Oh I don't think we need to worry, nigel.... going on the mood of 606 to date I think it'll be mostly an English outfit going with Gats and a token Welsh, Irish or Scottish waterboy or two... Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 2:31 pm

SecretFly wrote:Oh I don't think we need to worry, nigel.... going on the mood of 606 to date I think it'll be mostly an English outfit going with Gats and a token Welsh, Irish or Scottish waterboy or two... Wink  

and a scottish doctor
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Posts : 7186
Join date : 2011-03-04
Age : 34
Location : The North, The REAL North (Beyond the Wall)

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Guest on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 2:39 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Oh I don't think we need to worry, nigel.... going on the mood of 606 to date I think it'll be mostly an English outfit going with Gats and a token Welsh, Irish or Scottish waterboy or two... Wink  

and a scottish doctor

'Bout time that changed too. Are there no more doctors in the whole of the B&I nations? Why do we always roll out the same one??? Bias. That's what it is. And racism. Yeah, it's damned racist!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by lostinwales on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 2:48 pm

Griff wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Oh I don't think we need to worry, nigel.... going on the mood of 606 to date I think it'll be mostly an English outfit going with Gats and a token Welsh, Irish or Scottish waterboy or two... Wink  

and a scottish doctor

'Bout time that changed too.  Are there no more doctors in the whole of the B&I nations?  Why do we always roll out the same one???  Bias.  That's what it is.  And racism.  Yeah, it's damned racist!

Funny how the players who come back from touring injured are never Scottish. chin

lostinwales

Posts : 8597
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 2:49 pm

lostinwales wrote:
Griff wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Oh I don't think we need to worry, nigel.... going on the mood of 606 to date I think it'll be mostly an English outfit going with Gats and a token Welsh, Irish or Scottish waterboy or two... Wink  

and a scottish doctor

'Bout time that changed too.  Are there no more doctors in the whole of the B&I nations?  Why do we always roll out the same one???  Bias.  That's what it is.  And racism.  Yeah, it's damned racist!

Funny how the players who come back from touring injured are never Scottish. chin

Don't you call that kinda thing the law of averages?

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by fa0019 on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 5:34 pm

SecretFly wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
Griff wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Oh I don't think we need to worry, nigel.... going on the mood of 606 to date I think it'll be mostly an English outfit going with Gats and a token Welsh, Irish or Scottish waterboy or two... Wink  

and a scottish doctor

'Bout time that changed too.  Are there no more doctors in the whole of the B&I nations?  Why do we always roll out the same one???  Bias.  That's what it is.  And racism.  Yeah, it's damned racist!

Funny how the players who come back from touring injured are never Scottish. chin

Don't you call that kinda thing the law of averages?

Its like how you could say Ireland, Scotland and Wales have never lost a rugby world cup final huh!

fa0019

Posts : 8196
Join date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 5:40 pm

A bit like that, yeah, fa. But then of course the World is a very long time indeed thankfully - and therefore there is always hope Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by fa0019 on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 5:50 pm

SecretFly wrote:A bit like that, yeah, fa.  But then of course the World is a very long time indeed thankfully - and therefore there is always hope Wink

First team to beat NZ, AUS and SA in a calendar year since England 2003 fly and that was without many of your best players... a shame the world cup wasn't next year if you're Irish.

Played the big 5 teams 8 times this year, won 4. I think had you taken a full compliment of players it would have been 6 wins in 8.

fa0019

Posts : 8196
Join date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 6:20 pm

I think the thing that is most hopeful, fa, and you'll be familiar with these thoughts/concerns yourself as regards South Africa and the way the game seems to be changing day by day, led by an increasingly powerful, in monetary terms, club game - the most hopeful thing from an Irish point of view is that we're clinging on as much as we can - staying close to the top of the top ten rankings.  That's increasingly a difficult thing to do given the developments of the European club game.

It's the kind of new climate (injections of science and infrastructure and increasing potential of some Leagues to grow players on a conveyor belt of excellence) where Nations like France and England could really catch a wave and pull away even from the traditional SH top three.  So I'm just glad we're at least still competing  for now

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Exiledinborders on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 9:09 pm

Not much sign of France growing players on a conveyor belt of excellence. They seem more interested in a conveyor belt of foreign players in search of a pension.

Exiledinborders

Posts : 1583
Join date : 2012-03-18
Location : Scottish Borders

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 9:21 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:Not much sign of France growing players on a conveyor belt of excellence.  They seem more interested in a conveyor belt of foreign players in search of a pension.

It's only the beginning of such a possible direction of fortunes, Exiled.  I'm old enough to realise the new megabuck club Leagues (also now pushing their weight into International issues) are just getting into their stride.  I'm talking about the big changes that have already taken place in recent years and the ones being discussed.  The future will be a tougher place to be for lesser Rugby Nations without a doubt.

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Cyril on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 11:37 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Exiledinborders wrote:Not much sign of France growing players on a conveyor belt of excellence.  They seem more interested in a conveyor belt of foreign players in search of a pension.

It's only the beginning of such a possible direction of fortunes, Exiled.  I'm old enough to realise the new megabuck club Leagues (also now pushing their weight into International issues) are just getting into their stride.  I'm talking about the big changes that have already taken place in recent years and the ones being discussed.  The future will be a tougher place to be for lesser Rugby Nations without a doubt.
Agreed. Ireland already rely on foreign talent in key positions.

Cyril

Posts : 6747
Join date : 2012-11-16

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by SecretFly on Tue 06 Dec 2016, 12:15 am

Cyril wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Exiledinborders wrote:Not much sign of France growing players on a conveyor belt of excellence.  They seem more interested in a conveyor belt of foreign players in search of a pension.

It's only the beginning of such a possible direction of fortunes, Exiled.  I'm old enough to realise the new megabuck club Leagues (also now pushing their weight into International issues) are just getting into their stride.  I'm talking about the big changes that have already taken place in recent years and the ones being discussed.  The future will be a tougher place to be for lesser Rugby Nations without a doubt.
Agreed. Ireland already rely on foreign talent in key positions.

Yeah, even England had to succumb and finally employ a foreigner coach after 144 years of resistance. Nobody can remain pure of heart under these terrible conditions. I think the End of the World is upon us and I'm digging my survival bunker this very week.

SecretFly

Posts : 30812
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach - Page 20 Empty Re: Warren Gatland announced as Lions coach

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum