The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fight Night Thread

+27
Rodney
hazharrison
ShahenshahG
mikeymax71
kingraf
quentins_monkey
B.A. BARACUS
Jermaine2015
Herman Jaeger
Atila
dangerous_mouse
Hammersmith harrier
catchweight
ONETWOFOREVER
Ent
owen10ozzy
skiddy
Baby faced assassin
Fernando
AdamT
melv500
milkyboy
EX7EY
Happytravelling
Pound-for-Pound
TRUSSMAN66
mobilemaster8
31 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Fight Night Thread - Page 4 Empty Fight Night Thread

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 10 Sep 2016, 8:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

So who you picking? Just tuned in to see Edwards way out his depth stopped in 10. Now for Callum Smith...don't know much about his opponent so expecting an early bash out here with body shots.

Hall vs Haskins should be a great scrap....then the debated Good fight/ Overmatched fight....

Discuss....and enjoy...

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Fight Night Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Fight Night Thread

Post by AdamT Mon 12 Sep 2016, 11:31 am

I would make the Froch fight 60-40 for GGG.

No Ex I don't think he will be as carry the extra 8 pounds and be as effective at 168. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

I would like to see him mixing it at SMW.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Mon 12 Sep 2016, 11:56 am

First time in a while I've been conned by the sky commentary. Probably a mixture of that and Brook genuinely surprising me with his performance. Watched the fight against yesterday through a Kazakh stream and it wasn't how I'd remembered. GGG looked in control all the way through and even in the 2nd. I gave that to Brook but there wasn't much in it. Brook boxed as well as he could but he's just not a middleweight. Hearn will market this defeat right and Brook could well come out of it as a superstar.

On Golovkin's future, I'd agree it's time to move up. I know he wants that last belt but beating BJS won't add anything to his legacy. Everyone knows he's the best by a mile at the weight and he's 34 now. Time for tests at super middle. That's if there are any there. I'd fancy him to beat everyone there too. Last thing Degale would want is someone with footwork as good as that when he wants to take his 5 middle rounds breather on the ropes. Jack would be ko'd early, Groves mid rounds. Callus Smith had potential but seems to have lost his momentum struggling through these keep busy fights. Most would probably have picked him to beat Groves but I can't see that now.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Mon 12 Sep 2016, 12:08 pm

Don't like Froch in the slightest but I think he'd beat GGG at SM. Froch had a very good chin and if Brook can take a few punches off GGG then Froch I think could soak him up for 12 rounds. GGG isn't hard to hit and Froch can punch so I think he would KO GGG late but behind on the cards. Reckon it would be a good tear up.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 12 Sep 2016, 12:22 pm

I was a Froch fan but GGG beats him for me at 68 Froch didn't want the fight for good reason wanted it at 72 which was a ridiculous demand

Certainly GGG beats a post Groves Froch a circa Pascal Froch full of the joys of Spring that's a helluva fight GGG more hittable than I'd previously thought don't think he's got a Hagler type chin who I see beating GGG in a shootout

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Sep 2016, 12:34 pm

hazharrison wrote:I don't know how this happened but I find myself agreeing with HH. This fight was devoid of drama for me. Everyone knew what was going to happen - it was merely a matter of time. That's a familiar narrative in a Golovkin fight these days. It's great they've taken him on the road and kept him fighting regularly but this was an exercise in futility (other than making everyone considerably richer than they were previously).

I've seen a lot of people claim Brook's career will benefit from this (raised profile, made a few bob etc.) but I don't agree. That's a tough injury to come back from and the experience of being bullied in such a manner can have a lasting impact (mentally rather than physically).

It has to be Saunders, Canelo or 168-175 from here on in. I understand they're chasing Hopkins's defence record (which is as bogus as B. Hop's claims of beating Monzon's in the first place) but this was pointless.

I don't see anyone giving him problems at '68. So throw a load of money at Stevenson. Or Kovalev/Ward. Or the winner of DeGale/Jack. Golovkin looked bored on Saturday. I felt bored. Time to do something different.
I disagree that it will have an impact on Brook's future fights (should the injury heal sufficiently for him to carry on...fingers crossed and best of luck to Kell btw). GGG's a bit of a one-off right now and I can't think of any other fighter at 147 or 154 who will think he can just walk Brook down without taking a whole lot of punches back...and who else at 147 or 154 has chin like GGG? No, I think Brook has shown he stands a more than decent chance against the majority of fighters in and around his weight class.

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 12 Sep 2016, 1:12 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:I don't know how this happened but I find myself agreeing with HH. This fight was devoid of drama for me. Everyone knew what was going to happen - it was merely a matter of time. That's a familiar narrative in a Golovkin fight these days. It's great they've taken him on the road and kept him fighting regularly but this was an exercise in futility (other than making everyone considerably richer than they were previously).

I've seen a lot of people claim Brook's career will benefit from this (raised profile, made a few bob etc.) but I don't agree. That's a tough injury to come back from and the experience of being bullied in such a manner can have a lasting impact (mentally rather than physically).

It has to be Saunders, Canelo or 168-175 from here on in. I understand they're chasing Hopkins's defence record (which is as bogus as B. Hop's claims of beating Monzon's in the first place) but this was pointless.

I don't see anyone giving him problems at '68. So throw a load of money at Stevenson. Or Kovalev/Ward. Or the winner of DeGale/Jack. Golovkin looked bored on Saturday. I felt bored. Time to do something different.
I disagree that it will have an impact on Brook's future fights (should the injury heal sufficiently for him to carry on...fingers crossed and best of luck to Kell btw). GGG's a bit of a one-off right now and I can't think of any other fighter at 147 or 154 who will think he can just walk Brook down without taking a whole lot of punches back...and who else at 147 or 154 has chin like GGG? No, I think Brook has shown he stands a more than decent chance against the majority of fighters in and around his weight class.

He does, I love any fight at 154 against the champions or Spence moving up in the future

Great fights ahead for Brook!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Sep 2016, 1:33 pm

I think Brook v Cotto would sell a few tickets

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 12 Sep 2016, 1:39 pm

Meaningless fight featuring a couple of high profile losers...I won't buy it.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Mon 12 Sep 2016, 1:49 pm

You don't like Kell Brook today do you truss. I'd like to see Brook Cotto.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Sep 2016, 1:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Meaningless fight featuring a couple of high profile losers...I won't buy it.
So Brook loses his first fight and suddenly he's a high profile loser?

Don't buy it...your choice, I'm just saying it's a sellable fight.

Your piles acting up again, mate?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 12 Sep 2016, 1:55 pm

Brook is a winner outside the ring..

But him and Cotto are high profile losers....at the moment.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 12 Sep 2016, 2:39 pm

EX7EY wrote:JC outboxes Froch all day every day. Im just not sure Golovkin is going to be as effective at Super middle against anybody. Carl has a height and a huge reach advantage over GGG and he can take a shot. For me Carl keeps GGG at bay with his solid jab and stops GGG late, just my opinion.

I don't see GGG beating Ward either. Maybe De Gale because he switches off mid fight too often and GGG won't let him get away with that

There is a huge massive difference between Carl Froch and the the guys that Golovkin has beaten thus far.

Froch has the chin to absorb any unholy amount of punishment, has good power in both hands, a varied if often wild offence whilst having the engine to come on strong in the last few rounds of a fight.

The size difference between the two is also quite significant, Froch holds a 5 inch reach advantage and is about as rock a 168lber that you could ever come across. The only times he's retreated are against very quick punchers, in the case of Groves and Taylor he ground through the gears and ended up very much on the front foot again. The under rated Froch jab would be key in any fight and he'd try utilising it like he did against Abraham, knowing he had the quicker hands he kept it on the outside and looked for the opportunities to flurry then back out again.

In no world does GGG destroy Froch.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 12 Sep 2016, 3:03 pm

Froch would hit too hard for him...Ward would mug him..

Groves/Degale v GGG 50/50.. and Callum Smith looks huge !!..He could push him back..

168 is a huge question mark..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Mon 12 Sep 2016, 3:09 pm

GGG was flustered by Brook, so he just tried to run through Brook as he knew he couldn't really be hurt and had size and power advantages

Froch  is naturally bigger than GGG and hits a hell of a lot harder than brook

It'll be close and interested to see how Froch responds to the body shots but would give him a great chance of nullifying GGG just ploughing forward
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Sep 2016, 6:39 pm

Carl Froch vs GGG?  Since it is never going to happen and Froch is retired and basically past it, one can say anything from a Froch win (UD) to a GGG stoppage of Froch  - it is all pub chatter on unprovable speculation.  But clearly GGG dominance of the middleweight division trumps Froch partial dominance in the Super-MW division.

Similarly it is difficult to speculate what will happen to GGG if he goes up to super-middleweight.  He might bring the same power, he might have more power, or he might have less power.  One thing is certain is that he has a rock solid chin and he can be hit.  As yet he hasn't been knocked down in his career and looks invincible.  But who knows?  

I think a Kell Brook type opponent with proper middleweight power or super-middleweight power will cause GGG problems.  So a super middleweight fight between Ward (current age 32) & GGG (current age 34) seems like a realistic topic for discussion.  But maybe Ward can no longer make the weight for super middleweight?

Last edited by Nore Staat on Mon 12 Sep 2016, 6:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 12 Sep 2016, 6:43 pm

Nore Staat wrote: it is all pub chatter on unprovable speculation.

Bleeding hell are you new round here? Take the unprovable speculation away from here there would be about three threads.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Sep 2016, 6:46 pm

Rowley wrote:

Bleeding hell are you new round here? Take the unprovable speculation away from here there would be about three threads.
Fair point. I stand corrected. Just sort of wanted to say it should be considered as light hearted banter rather than a duel to the death type of argument.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Sep 2016, 7:30 pm

Nore Staat wrote:
Rowley wrote:

Fair point.  I stand corrected.  Just sort of wanted to say it should be considered as light hearted banter rather than a duel to the death type of argument.
Yup, definitely new around here...people have said, "Good Morning" on here and some mealy mouthed c*nt* has then been banned for taking exception to it.

*To be fair, I wasn't feeling well and hadn't had a coffee before I logged on...

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 12 Sep 2016, 7:32 pm

Froch fought much stiffer competition. The two guys that beat Froch, would also beat GGG Imo.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 12 Sep 2016, 8:19 pm

I would make Golovkin a warm favourite over Froch but it would be no plain sailing as you would expect some hellacious exchanges with both guys difficult to wear down. Froch liked time and space to work and Golovkin doesnt give opponents any. A fighter like a Hopkins or a Ward with the spoiling game up close who can work well in no space is more likely to have the solution to grind out a decision.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:11 pm

I'd take Golovkin over Froch. It would be a punch-out (Froch could try to box as he did against Abraham but that wouldn't last long) and Golovkin has shown less cracks than Froch did (Froch had a great chin but he was dropped against Taylor and Groves and hurt by Dirrell). That one would have been worth the PPV, though.

Ward would probably be able to fiddle and faff his way past Golovkin but that's no forgone conclusion. It will be interesting to see how Ward fares when Kovalev cracks him.

Sadly, it looks like Danny Jacobs next with Saunders and Eubank waffling on in the background.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:20 pm

GGG is tremendous, but I doubt he would do much with Ward.

"He didn't move his head, because he didn't respect Brook's power."

Well that is f....g stupid, isn't it. Why get hit, when you don't need to. One punch can always make a difference.

He doesn't dominate 168, the way he does 160 (though I would still favour him against anyone currently in the division, if I'm being honest)

I think he is a great, great mw, but his style and size suggests he would struggle with elite 168 fighters.

The good news is, there are no RJJ, Ward, Calzaghe types operating in the division.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:26 pm

When Calzaghe "dominated"* 168 there were no RJJ (at least not pulsating ones), Ward, GGG types operating in the division
When Ward was running the show, there were no RJJ, GGG, Calzaghe types operating.
When RJJ was running the show there were no Calzaghe, Ward, GGG types operating. Thems the way it goes.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:26 pm

When Calzaghe "dominated"* 168 there were no RJJ (at least not pulsating ones), Ward, GGG types operating in the division
When Ward was running the show, there were no RJJ, GGG, Calzaghe types operating.
When RJJ was running the show there were no Calzaghe, Ward, GGG types operating. Thems the way it goes.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:28 pm

kingraf wrote:When Calzaghe "dominated"* 168 there were no RJJ (at least not pulsating ones), Ward, GGG types operating in the division

Very smart!

Could you imagine Kell Brook punching Ward or Calzaghe in the face?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:29 pm

Also Calzaghe had Kessler and made the step up to fight Hopkins.

Ward fought Froch and Kessler among others.

The point is, who at 168 is as good as any of the names I have just mentioned??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:29 pm

As for GGG allowing Brook to hit him, I don't think he did. GGG doesn't move his head. He isn't a Rock who doesn't need to move his head. But I do think that whenever they had their fight discussion between rounds, the strategy probably focused more on "How can we hit him?" rather than "how do we avoid getting hit".

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:31 pm

If Brook can hit him, bigger fighters can damage him. He is a beast at 160, but he wouldn't be quite the same animal at 168. That's my opinion. Hopefully time will tell.

I still think he can beat fighters at SMW, but he isn't running through them, like at MW.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:34 pm

I don't think Kessler was any great shakes to be honest. He didn't get within sniffing distance against either Calzaghe or Ward, and they are the two best fighters he faced. I certainly think GGG could do better against them than 3-9 and an 2-8 at the time of stoppage
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:36 pm

GGG has never been in with anyone the skill of Kessler (other than perhaps the smaller Brook) and certainly not the size.

Kessler was a monster at 168.

Also of course Calzaghe and Ward beat Kessler with a bit to spare.

I think Ward or Calzaghe would beat GGG rather easily.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 13 Sep 2016, 12:49 pm

I genuinely don't think it's that simple Adam. Brook did hit a lot, sure, but GGG still out landed him by like 50 punches. That's a rather large difference in four and a bit rounds.

Moving on from that, when Brook did find success he wasn't wading in and throwing straight rights and landing at will, he was boxing sharp changing directions etc. I don't know if
a) there's currently a middleweight who moves well enough to take that as a blueprint
b) that boxer has the stamina to then keep GGG off him for 12 rounds.lĺ
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 13 Sep 2016, 1:02 pm

AdamT wrote:GGG is tremendous, but I doubt he would do much with Ward.

"He didn't move his head, because he didn't respect Brook's power."

Well that is f....g stupid, isn't it. Why get hit, when you don't need to. One punch can always make a difference.

He doesn't dominate 168, the way he does 160 (though I would still favour him against anyone currently in the division, if I'm being honest)

I think he is a great, great mw, but his style and size suggests he would struggle with elite 168 fighters.

The good news is, there are no RJJ, Ward, Calzaghe types operating in the division.

Golovkin probably felt compelled to blow straight through Brook. What would it do for his image as a middleweight juggernaught if he boxed carefully against a welterweight?

You don't know that he won't dominate at 168. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. If DeGale beats Jack (as you'd expect him to) to become the boss at 168 and then Golovkin scores an impressive win over DeGale (the match has been mooted this week) then he'd be a champion at super middleweight (something Froch didn't achieve). Golovkin's not exactly small. He gave Kovalev all he could handle in sparring - Kovalev has candidly admitted he had to open up just to keep Golovkin off him - and Kova is viewed as a monster to steer clear of by the likes of DeGale.

Calzaghe is a tad overrated. His level of opposition wasn't anything great before his last handful of fights. Nothing to suggest Golovkin can't wind his career up in a comparable manner. In a similar vein, Roy left super middleweight because there was nothing there to beat. All dominant fighters face the same criticism.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 13 Sep 2016, 1:28 pm

Haz without being a d1ck, I think Calzaghe is much too fast and with his natural size, he would have little trouble.

It will never happen now, but I do believe Ward would win a rather comfortable (boring) fight on points.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 13 Sep 2016, 1:53 pm

AdamT wrote:Haz without being a d1ck, I think Calzaghe is much too fast and with his natural size, he would have little trouble.

It will never happen now, but I do believe Ward would win a rather comfortable (boring) fight on points.

Calzaghe always comes out well in these mythical match-ups - fast, busy, good chin, got up to win etc. In reality, he was pushed hard by Charles Brewer, was dropped heavily by Byron Mitchell and was dropped by both Hopkins and Jones (at a point where it was difficult to recall the last time they dropped anyone of note). I'm not saying he wasn't a quality fighter - he obviously was, and a two-weight legit champ to boot - just that he's a tad overrated.

I think the Ward fight can happen - depending how he gets on with Kovalev.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 13 Sep 2016, 1:55 pm

What weight will the fight happen? Can't see Ward fighting at 168 again, provided he even beats Kovalev. That is certainly not a given.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2016, 2:01 pm

hazharrison wrote:
AdamT wrote:Haz without being a d1ck, I think Calzaghe is much too fast and with his natural size, he would have little trouble.

Calzaghe always comes out well in these mythical match-ups - fast, busy, good chin, got up to win etc. In reality, he was pushed hard by Charles Brewer, was dropped heavily by Byron Mitchell and was dropped by both Hopkins and Jones (at a point where it was difficult to recall the last time they dropped anyone of note). I'm not saying he wasn't a quality fighter - he obviously was, and a two-weight legit champ to boot - just that he's a tad overrated.

Would add that the Calzaghe with the hand trouble struggles to keep GGG at bay with his cuffs/slaps whilst the version that fought Eubank and earlier deals with him infinitely better but still doesn't stop him.

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 13 Sep 2016, 3:06 pm

AdamT wrote:What weight will the fight happen? Can't see Ward fighting at 168 again, provided he even beats Kovalev. That is certainly not a given.

Ward is a light heavyweight now - he hasn't been a super middle for a long time (which made the claims Golovkin was ducking him at 168 a bit of a stretch).

If the Ward/Kovalev winner can fight Stevenson and DeGale fights Jack, we might end up with two consensus champs at 168 and 175.

That would provide Golovkin with some sturdy challenges - should he wish to take them. If he decides he's simply a middleweight, then fair play to him (he won't be able to do any more than he's doing). He'll probably end up going undefeated at 160 but will lack the big names on his record when he retires. Perfect fodder for forum debates in that scenario as the GGGoons assert he's the greatest and the trolls counter punch by saying he fought a bunch of tomatoes.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 13 Sep 2016, 10:27 pm

hazharrison wrote:

I think fast, busy, decent chin, got up to win is the reality with calzaghe. Clearly he was also hittable and droppable. The way he fought it's a miracle it didn't happen more often - winging combinations in, standing toe-to-toe often chest on. It's actually that reckless/brave streak (it's both in my opinion) that means I wouldn't fancy him against golovkin. On the one hand, he's bigger than him, faster-handed than him, one of the few fighters who could match him for work rate... But calzaghe was often happy to take one to land 2, and that's trouble against golovkin, unless you're heavy handed enough to back him up, my gut is that JC wasn't.

We'd have to see how Golovkin's power translates at a higher level... Sometimes like Abraham it seems to just disappear, but if I had to call it on what I've seen to now, I'd say prime ggg beats prime JC. I think ward probably beats Golovkin but I'm not completely sold on that, I also think calzaghe's workrate and speed makes a ward fight a pickem, which I'm aware isn't the consensus view.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 14 Sep 2016, 8:13 am

I don't think Ward beats Calzaghe as easily as you lot are suggesting

Ward is not a puncher by any means and he struggled with Sakio Bika....

I agree its a pickem, I would favour Joe

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 14 Sep 2016, 8:21 am

Joe struggled with Bika as well. I agree with you that calzaghe ward is a pickem but bika is impossible too look good against unless you got serious power and timing. Just an ugly fighter

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 14 Sep 2016, 12:41 pm

milkyboy wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

I think fast, busy, decent chin, got up to win is the reality with calzaghe. Clearly he was also hittable and droppable. The way he fought it's a miracle it didn't happen more often - winging combinations in, standing toe-to-toe often chest on. It's actually that reckless/brave streak (it's both in my opinion) that means I wouldn't fancy him against golovkin. On the one hand, he's bigger than him, faster-handed than him, one of the few fighters who could match him for work rate... But calzaghe was often happy to take one to land 2, and that's trouble against golovkin, unless you're heavy handed enough to back him up, my gut is that JC wasn't.

We'd have to see how Golovkin's power translates at a higher level... Sometimes like Abraham it seems to just disappear, but if I had to call it on what I've seen to now, I'd say prime ggg beats prime JC. I think ward probably beats Golovkin but I'm not completely sold on that, I also think calzaghe's workrate and speed makes a ward fight a pickem, which I'm aware isn't the consensus view.
So to recap...
GGG>JC>Ward>GGG?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 14 Sep 2016, 2:06 pm

Ward beats Calzaghe Imo. Ward physically strong and busier Tha Bhop down the stretch.

Close points.

I will add, if GGG is just as effective at smw, he could beat the whole lot.

The fella is a beast at mw.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 14 Sep 2016, 2:55 pm

kingraf wrote:
milkyboy wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

So to recap...
GGG>JC>Ward>GGG?

Yup. The triangular styles make fights concept.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4