Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Wed 14 Sep - 23:16

I thought we'd start with the Autumn series. Gatland the Great is set to return and shake things up after another disappointing season underneath the Howler and his pal McBryde. The fixtures for this series are as follows:

November 2017
Sat 11th Nov 17 17:15
Wales v Australia
Sat 18th Nov 17 14:30
Wales v Georgia
Sat 25th Nov 17 17:15
Wales v New Zealand
December 2017
Sat 2nd Dec 17 14:30
Wales v South Africa






-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well there's no time like now so why not. Last year was a bit disappointing, topped off with an unsuccessful tour to NZ (as expected). Whilst I'm hoping for better this season my expectations are low as we have Howler and some other amateurs in charge who got the job because they were mates with Gatland and others in the WRU.

AI's
Wales V Australia 05/11/2016
8 - 32
Wales V Argentina 12/11/2016
24 - 20
Wales V Japan 19/11/2016
33 - 30
Wales V South Africa 26/11/2016
27 - 13

6 Nations
Italy V Wales 05/02/2017
7 - 33
Wales V England 11/02/2017
16 - 21
Scotland V Wales 25/02/2017
29 - 13
Wales V Ireland 10/03/2017
22 - 9
France V Wales 18/03/2017
20 -18

Very tough AI series but a kind start in the 6N. So far this season Blues and Ospreys look good, but how many of their players will be starters for Wales? Cuthbert is starting to look like his old self and if this continues he could come back into the team. Tomos Williams looks like a good player and if he also continues in this vein then might he take advantage of Gareth Davies' supposed rustiness? It's still early days but going by what I've seen and the reports I've read I would like to see a new centre partnership and also perhaps see our old back 3 of North, Cuthbert and Halfpenny reinstated - although a lot could happen between now and November. With Faletau out I think we can all guess who the wildcards will be, but who does that leave to play at No.8 - possibly Warburton with Ellis Jenkins at 7? What changes (if any) would you like to see? Keep it sensible please.

WALES 2016 UNDER ARMOUR SERIES SQUAD
Prop Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues) (12 Caps) Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs) (14 Caps) Rhys Gill (Cardiff Blues) (6 Caps) Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues) (126 Caps) Samson Lee (Scarlets) (28 Caps) Nicky Smith (Ospreys) (3 Caps)
Hooker Scott Baldwin (Ospreys) (24 Caps) Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues) (3 Caps) Ken Owens (Scarlets) (42 Caps)
Second Row Jake Ball (Scarlets) (20 Caps) Luke Charteris (Bath Rugby) (68 Caps) Bradley Davies (Ospreys) (56 Caps) Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys) (102 Caps) Rory Thornton (Ospreys) (UNCAPPED)
Back Row Dan Baker (Ospreys) (3 Caps) Taulupe Faletau* (Bath Rugby) (61 Caps) James King (Ospreys) (8 Caps) Dan Lydiate (Ospreys) (57 Caps) Ross Moriarty (Gloucester) (9 Caps) Justin Tipuric (Ospreys) (43 Caps) Sam Warburton (CAPT) (Cardiff Blues) (67 Caps)
Scrum Half Gareth Davies (Scarlets) (17 Caps) Rhys Webb (Ospreys) (22 Caps) Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues) (27 Caps)
Fly Half Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues) (8 Caps) Dan Biggar (Ospreys) (48 Caps) Sam Davies (Ospreys) (UNCAPPED)
Centre Jonathan Davies (Scarlets) (56 Caps) Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons) (3 Caps) Jamie Roberts* (Harlequins) (83 Caps) Scott Williams (Scarlets) (38 Caps)
Wing/Full Back Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons) (10 Caps) Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues) (42 Caps) Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon) (62 Caps) George North* (Northampton Saints) (62 Caps) Liam Williams (Scarlets) (35 Caps) * Denotes Senior Player Selection Policy wildcard selection.
Ospreys wing Keelan Giles, Cardiff Blues full-back Rhun Williams and Dragons pair Leon Brown and Harrison Keddie will train with the Wales squad.  


June summer tour
Tonga 6 - 24 Wales
Samoa 17 - 19 Wales


Last edited by mikey_dragon on Tue 18 Jul - 20:01; edited 2 times in total

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by wales606 on Thu 15 Sep - 4:55

Will certainly be interesting to see what happens if the Blues continue to play well and the Scarlets slump continues - Could give players like Navidi and Ellis Jenkins a good shot (though that might not be great for the Blues :/)
avatar
wales606

Posts : 10728
Join date : 2011-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by wales606 on Thu 15 Sep - 4:57

Is Ross Moriarty free to be called up? Or will he be a wildcard?

He would be the obvious replacement at 8. Though would be interesting to see someone like Warburton or Navidi at 8 with Tipuric/Jenkins/Davies at 7.
avatar
wales606

Posts : 10728
Join date : 2011-03-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Thu 15 Sep - 5:57

Moriarty is exempt because he's never played in Wales, although I expect that the union expects him to come and play for Welsh team once his Glaws contract is up - and realistically it's a choice of 3 only. I guess it's about finding the right balance in the back row but I'd certainly have Jenkins or Navidi at 7 ahead of Tips and Davies.

Wales have had bad luck with No.8's in recent years. We had the likes of I Jones, Baker, Pitman and Allen burst onto the scene at a young age and neither has kicked on. Two of them have disappeared into thin air.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by chris_501 on Thu 15 Sep - 17:18

The AI's without Faletau may prove a bit of a blessing in disguise, it will force Gats to take a look at other options at 8.

However, I'm not sure that any of the regions have a Welsh player starting at 8? Jackson, Barclay, Ardron and Williams were the starters last weekend, Moriarty started at 6 for Glos.

chris_501

Posts : 355
Join date : 2011-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by bedfordwelsh on Sun 18 Sep - 22:35

chris_501 wrote:The AI's without Faletau may prove a bit of a blessing in disguise, it will force Gats to take a look at other options at 8.

However, I'm not sure that any of the regions have a Welsh player starting at 8? Jackson, Barclay, Ardron and Williams were the starters last weekend, Moriarty started at 6 for Glos.

Gatlands not in charge for the Autumn and Navidi started at 8 Friday, my choice at 8 would be Moriarty.

As for the Autumn series itself then anything less then 3 wins from 4 would again be a failure and no improvement from previous years really.
avatar
bedfordwelsh
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9962
Join date : 2011-05-12
Age : 49

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Seagultaf on Sun 18 Sep - 22:49

chris_501 wrote:The AI's without Faletau may prove a bit of a blessing in disguise, it will force Gats to take a look at other options at 8.

However, I'm not sure that any of the regions have a Welsh player starting at 8? Jackson, Barclay, Ardron and Williams were the starters last weekend, Moriarty started at 6 for Glos.

Front row may be more of a problem, with Evans injured, Francis likely to be banned and Lee possibly just back from injury!

As for number 8, I suspect Moriarty will come into the mix as there are no other Welsh 8s currently playing regularly.

Seagultaf

Posts : 1403
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Ospreylia

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by bedfordwelsh on Sun 18 Sep - 23:53

What has Francis done what have I missed.

Gill is back in Wales now and Jenkins will still do the business for some of the games at tighthead I'd like to see Dillon Lewis get a crack over Francis anyway.

Then of course we always have Scott Andrews hahahahaha
avatar
bedfordwelsh
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9962
Join date : 2011-05-12
Age : 49

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by BigTrevsbigmac on Mon 19 Sep - 0:01

Bedford - Careless use of foot in ruck made contact with Danny Care's head. No complaints from Rob Baxter.

Not good after previous recent ban.

BigTrevsbigmac

Posts : 2835
Join date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by bedfordwelsh on Mon 19 Sep - 0:07

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Bedford - Careless use of foot in ruck made contact with Danny Care's head. No complaints from Rob Baxter.

Not good after previous recent ban.

Cheers Trev, don't think he's lived up to all the hype anyway so not a loss for me other than cuts our squad cover down etc.
avatar
bedfordwelsh
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 9962
Join date : 2011-05-12
Age : 49

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 19 Sep - 5:25

Bit of a crisis up front then with a lack of front row and No8. Who starts at hooker? Owens is in poor form, isn't a good thrower, and an even worse leader. Baldwin was also poor last season and this year he's being kept out of the team by Sam Parry. Will the coaches select a first cap at hooker when there's question marks over our front row? Could the unthinkable happen and they recall Hibbard?

as long as Owens or Baldwin don't start I'm happy - we can't afford to reward poor form. I wouldn't even think about having Williams and JD2 at centre either.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 19 Sep - 19:17

mikey_dragon wrote:I wouldn't even think about having Williams and JD2 at centre either.

Who else is there ? Jamie Roberts and ? There is a big drop in quality after those three. Cory Allen, Jack Dixon, Tyler Morgan, Ben John, Ashley Beck, none of those names fill me with much hope.


LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 19 Sep - 19:33

Me neither, but some of these names are playing very well and the Scarlets boys, far from it. Roberts looks poor as well according to reports. Time to reward form rather than pick the same ol regardless of form, I'm getting a little tired of that. Most of our front line pack are playing well as is Webb so I'm not worried.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by fa0019 on Mon 19 Sep - 19:35

bedfordwelsh wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Bedford - Careless use of foot in ruck made contact with Danny Care's head. No complaints from Rob Baxter.

Not good after previous recent ban.

Cheers Trev, don't think he's lived up to all the hype anyway so not a loss for me other than cuts our squad cover down etc.

I mean can you blame him? Only doing what half of care's teammates probably do to him in training every day if given the opportunity!

fa0019

Posts : 8196
Join date : 2011-07-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by international198 on Mon 19 Sep - 19:37

I believe Sam Davies deserves to start at 10 against Australia on the 5th of November 2016.

international198

Posts : 302
Join date : 2016-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 19 Sep - 19:39

mikey_dragon wrote:Time to reward form rather than pick the same ol regardless of form, I'm getting a little tired of that.

Who would you pick in the centers then mikey ?

I would go for JD2 and Scott Williams. Of the rest I would say Ben John and Cory Allen are worth a punt. But they are playing with classy centers next to them each week, perhaps that's why they are looking better.

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by fa0019 on Mon 19 Sep - 19:40

international198 wrote:I believe Sam Davies deserves to start at 10 against Australia on the 5th of November 2016.

can he and biggar play together? Would be quite a tactical change around for the team but it seems to have a lot going for it.... Biggar is certainly a large enough lump to play 12.

fa0019

Posts : 8196
Join date : 2011-07-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by propdavid_london on Mon 19 Sep - 19:46

How's Matthew Morgan been playing since he left Brizzle?

propdavid_london

Posts : 2824
Join date : 2011-06-02
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 19 Sep - 19:48

I would go berserk if Biggar was shifted to 12. No way, no matter, no how should he be moved to accommodate another player. He is one of the best 10's in the NH. Whilst he is not as maverick as Sam Davies, he excels at everything else. He is good with his boot, he tackles like a man possessed and he is one of the best players under the high ball I have ever seen.

Sam has bulked up, a lot, and he has improved. He looks more like a young man now, rather than an old teenager. But I very much doubt he will get in the Wales squad ahead of Biggar and Anscombe, he does deserve his chance though, but I just think that it will be the two DC players who get picked.

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by international198 on Mon 19 Sep - 19:50

propdavid_london wrote:How's Matthew Morgan been playing since he left Brizzle?

Very well. Will be a lot of competition for the 15 jersey with Matthew Morgan on form, Leigh Halfpenny back from injury, Liam Williams as good as ever.

international198

Posts : 302
Join date : 2016-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by international198 on Mon 19 Sep - 19:51

LordDowlais wrote:I would go berserk if Biggar was shifted to 12. No way, no matter, no how should he be moved to accommodate another player. He is one of the best 10's in the NH. Whilst he is not as maverick as Sam Davies, he excels at everything else. He is good with his boot, he tackles like a man possessed and he is one of the best players under the high ball I have ever seen.

Sam has bulked up, a lot, and he has improved. He looks more like a young man now, rather than an old teenager. But I very much doubt he will get in the Wales squad ahead of Biggar and Anscombe, he does deserve his chance though, but I just think that it will be the two DC players who get picked.

At the very least he deserves to start against Japan

international198

Posts : 302
Join date : 2016-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 19 Sep - 19:54

international198 wrote:At the very least he deserves to start against Japan

I doubt he will be in the squad, not ahead of the two DC players anyway.

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 19 Sep - 21:22

Originally I was all for Beck and Allen starting at midfield for us - but Beck has missed a couple games and it's still early days. Tyler Morgan started the season poorly but looked good against Munster. Ben John and Sam Davies are playing well but right now I don't think either are international quality, good club players at best. This might not go down well but I believe that Davies is benefitting from playing for a well-coached team who are playing well, a team who have been much stronger than their opposition thus far into this season. Davies is a bit like AOB, and I think AOB will struggle to be a mainstay at this level. Davies wouldn't be the first example of an overhyped fly-half coming out of Ospreylia. I would stick with Biggar and Anscombe going forward. Patchell wouldn't be in my squad unless it was full-back - is he even needed with Halfpenny and Williams playing well?

Speaking of the back 3, a rejuvenated Cuthbert just sustained an injury, whilst Williams got moved over to the wing and still looked awesome. Tom James playing better than ever but hasn't really shown up for Wales - for him to be a fit team Wales would need to play a more open and expansive style where-as a good winger, like North, can fit into most styles of play and still be effective. As it stands we might see a back 3 of Halfpenny, North and Williams.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by wayne on Mon 19 Sep - 22:32

mikey_dragon wrote:Originally I was all for Beck and Allen starting at midfield for us - but Beck has missed a couple games and it's still early days. Tyler Morgan started the season poorly but looked good against Munster. Ben John and Sam Davies are playing well but right now I don't think either are international quality, good club players at best. This might not go down well but I believe that Davies is benefitting from playing for a well-coached team who are playing well, a team who have been much stronger than their opposition thus far into this season. Davies is a bit like AOB, and I think AOB will struggle to be a mainstay at this level. Davies wouldn't be the first example of an overhyped fly-half coming out of Ospreylia. I would stick with Biggar and Anscombe going forward. Patchell wouldn't be in my squad unless it was full-back - is he even needed with Halfpenny and Williams playing well?

Speaking of the back 3, a rejuvenated Cuthbert just sustained an injury, whilst Williams got moved over to the wing and still looked awesome. Tom James playing better than ever but hasn't really shown up for Wales - for him to be a fit team Wales would need to play a more open and expansive style where-as a good winger, like North, can fit into most styles of play and still be effective. As it stands we might see a back 3 of Halfpenny, North and Williams.
Mikey, normally for these games certain positions are filled with 3 players, 2,9 and 10, if that is the case, I do not see how Sam Davies can be ignored, he (and I know I'm biased) is miles better than Priestland, even though it will hurt us for 3 important matches he should be in the setup, as for your comment of over hyped O/H coming out of Ospreylia, I hope you don't mean Nipper, because you didn't hear it from ANY SENSIBLE Osprey fan, he was asked to play other positions for us but he preferred to walk away and where is he playing now, as for your comments about Beck and John, I've said on here before about the comments of how Beck played when we played TW in a World Cup pre warm up, and according to the comments he totally embarrassed the incumbents, so I don't think he would seriously weaken TW, as for Ben John he needs to play as he is at the moment and against better teams before he could get into contention, there are a lot in front of him.

wayne

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 19 Sep - 22:55

wayne, when you say Sam is miles better than RP then I couldn't agree with you more, trust me. It will hurt Ospreys like you say, and even if he turns out better than I expected I feel it's too soon and we're rushing him. There's even talk of capping Keelan Giles for some reason - strange as Ashton Hewitt was playing consistently very well before injury has ruled him out and nobody mentioned him back then. I think what's best for these two as that they stay put at the Ospreys and continue to develop. Overhyped - no I don't mean nipper who I always thought I was alright. I was talking about Davies.
Beck certainly wouldn't weaken Wales and he's been in the team before. If he continues to play well he deserves his shot over the ones not playing well.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by chris_501 on Mon 19 Sep - 22:57

What do people think to a back row of

6. Moriarty
7. Warburton
8. Navidi?

chris_501

Posts : 355
Join date : 2011-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by True Raven on Mon 19 Sep - 22:59

Id rather Beck strung two games together rather than being called up to Wales.

Davies consistency and goal kicking let him down this time last year but in 12 months there has been a rapid progression. I dont think it will be too long till he eclipses Anscombe as Biggars back up and Anscombe is used as full back cover

True Raven

Posts : 1011
Join date : 2015-12-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 19 Sep - 23:01

Why do I get the feeling that Warburton will end up playing at 8 ? I am all for trying people out in different positions, but we do have specialist Welsh number 8's in Wales. I think we should gave Dan Baker another crack at it.

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by wayne on Mon 19 Sep - 23:05

True Raven wrote:Id rather Beck strung two games together rather than being called up to Wales.

Davies consistency and goal kicking let him down this time last year but in 12 months there has been a rapid progression.  I dont think it will be too long till he eclipses Anscombe as Biggars back up and Anscombe is used as full back cover
TR, on the way into the match on Saturday I was talking to Nicky Smith and he said, himself, BBBD and Beck could all have played that day it is only precautionary with Ashley, and Tandy in his interview said that it was all to do with him having 2 hard matches which he hasn't had for around 2 years.

wayne

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 19 Sep - 23:06

True Raven wrote:Id rather Beck strung two games together rather than being called up to Wales.

This. 100%.

Whilst I agree that Beck has oodles of ability, until he can stop being an injury waiting to happen then he should be nowhere near the international set-up. Unfortunately for him, I do not think his body is up to the rigours of professional rugby.

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 19 Sep - 23:33

LordDowlais wrote:Why do I get the feeling that Warburton will end up playing at 8 ? I am all for trying people out in different positions, but we do have specialist Welsh number 8's in Wales. I think we should gave Dan Baker another crack at it.

How does that work? An average Baker is being kept out of the team by Ardron.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 19 Sep - 23:34

chris_501 wrote:What do people think to a back row of

6. Moriarty
7. Warburton
8. Navidi?

Decent - you could swap Warburton and Navidi around I guess. I'm assuming Ellis Jenkins would be on your bench too? Smile

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Mon 19 Sep - 23:38

mikey_dragon wrote:How does that work? An average Baker is being kept out of the team by Ardron.

So, what are we saying here ? Playing players out of position are better than using a specialist in the position ?

I do not understand the fascination here in Wales to always play people out of position. Flyhalves in the center, fullbacks on the wing and vice versa, second rowers in the back row, flankers as number 8's. I like players who are versatile, but that only should be when needs must.

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 19 Sep - 23:41

If they're off form, have been that for a while, and not even playing in their team right now then you don't call them up - it's bloody bonkers to think otherwise. Reminds me of his first cap when he was playing in the premiership, that was equally as bonkers Rolling Eyes.

We don't play players out of position, I'm not sure where you got that from. Warburton is a versatile player now that you mention it.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 20 Sep - 0:04

mikey_dragon wrote:We don't play players out of position, I'm not sure where you got that from

Don't we ?

So we never play Liam Williams on the wing then ?

We never play Anscombe or Preistland at fullback ?

James Hook in the center ?

Warburton at 6 ?

Then there's the regions, Ospreys always play second rowers in the back row. Blues playing Patchell at fullback, I could go on.

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Tue 20 Sep - 0:09

Liam Williams is a back 3 player who plays well at wing or 15, so that was a silly thing to say. Anscombe has played 10/15 throughout his career (look it up), and at the time we had injuries so it was definitely a case of needs must. Warburton is versatile and has played at 6,7,8 through his career, but most of it was at 7.

RP shouldn't and likely won't be in this squad. Hook won't be and hasn't been for how long - so we can dismiss those as stupid points made by you.

Are you referring to Lloyd Ashley? He's a lock, originally too lightweight but it looks to me like he's bulked up. Patchell was shifted to 15 by his old team (Blues) because he wasn't a good enough fly-half which he's now proving with the Scarlets. He was very good for Wales from 15. Please don't go on - it's blatantly obvious you don't watch enough rugby but still hold yourself in high esteem. I'm embarrassed for you....

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 20 Sep - 0:14

mikey, what is it with you, can you not hold down a decent conversation, why the childishness ?

I am merely pointing out, that we have an obsession in Wales with playing players out of the preferred position. Never mind, I should have learned by now. There is just no talking with you.

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by international198 on Tue 20 Sep - 0:21

LordDowlais wrote:mikey, what is it with you, can you not hold down a decent conversation, why the childishness ?

I am merely pointing out, that we have an obsession in Wales with playing players out of the preferred position. Never mind, I should have learned by now. There is just no talking with you.

We played Jamie Roberts out of position at 12 and that worked out great. He's now a permanent 12.

international198

Posts : 302
Join date : 2016-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 20 Sep - 0:24

international198 wrote:We played Jamie Roberts out of position at 12 and that worked out great. He's now a permanent 12.

yes, but we also had to move JD to 13 to accommodate him. But yes I do remember Jamie Roberts starting out as a full back, then a winger, then a center.

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Tue 20 Sep - 0:33

LordDowlais wrote:mikey, what is it with you, can you not hold down a decent conversation, why the childishness ?

I am merely pointing out, that we have an obsession in Wales with playing players out of the preferred position. Never mind, I should have learned by now. There is just no talking with you.

laughing laughing laughing the bloke is saying this mind after his well documented performance last weekend, and another one of his childish digs at the Dragons earlier today. More stupid stuff typed by Dowellais.

No - that's just you saying/thinking that 'we in Wales' have this apparent obsession with that. If you stopped being childish, stopped fawning over WOL and stopped being a hypocrite changing his argument at every turn then I guess people would take you seriously. Lay off the silliness and the digs at other teams and posters - then you can get on the high horse.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 20 Sep - 0:34

picard

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Tue 20 Sep - 0:35

Also LD, quite typical of you to choose only to reply to certain sections of a comment, and go on to play this victim of cyber bullying from nasty Dregs fans. I'm assuming you've left it because you realize you were wrong - it's often you're wrong so don't worry about it.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 20 Sep - 0:37

again. picard

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 20 Sep - 0:39

To think I could have a proper debate with you mikey...... Rolling Eyes

It's all about opinions, we have a history of playing players out of position all the time, yet you would tell me otherwise, and whilst doing it insult me as well, yet it is me who has the problem.

only on V2.


LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Tue 20 Sep - 0:51

Your crying victim mentality is boring LD and you constantly act daft. I'm not concerned about our history, I'm concerned about the upcoming squad and there is nothing that leads us to believe players will be played out position - that's based on who's available and the last squad we picked. If you like go off and find something from the WOL that proves your point, but don't copy and paste it in here like you usually do.

Anyway back to the discussion before you sidetracked it, front-row and back-row seems to be where the selection headaches are, and I think that's through lack of availability. No Evans, Lee, Francis, Faletau and no hooker playing well apart from uncapped Parry.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by funnyExiledScot on Tue 20 Sep - 0:51

From an outsider's perspective, I see no sense in moving Liam Williams to accommodate Halfpenny - particularly with Biggar pretty much nailed on at 10 and taking the kicks. I'd make Halfpenny earn his way back into the side from the bench. Williams is a class act. North and Amos would complete my back three.

The centres is a tough one for Wales. Roberts and JD2 is an experienced and tested combo, but there are some talented players knocking on the door, particularly Tyler Morgan, Scott Williams and Cory Allen. Tough call for Howley.

It's Webb and Biggar every day of the week for me at halfback. Back-up is harder to call, although I'd have Gareth Davies on the bench for impact. Probably one from Gareth Anscombe, Matt Morgan, Sam Davies and Rhys Priestland, although the latter is probably out of the reckoning due to Gatland's Law.

funnyExiledScot

Posts : 15449
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 36
Location : Edinburgh

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 20 Sep - 0:53

mikey_dragon wrote:Your crying victim mentality is boring LD and you constantly act daft. I'm not concerned about our history, I'm concerned about the upcoming squad and there is nothing that leads us to believe players will be played out position - that's based on who's available and the last squad we picked. If you like go off and find something from the WOL that proves your point, but don't copy and paste it in here like you usually do.

So you agree then ? We will play a person at number 8 who regularly plays in that position ? Like Dan Baker.

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by wayne on Tue 20 Sep - 1:00

funnyExiledScot wrote:From an outsider's perspective, I see no sense in moving Liam Williams to accommodate Halfpenny - particularly with Biggar pretty much nailed on at 10 and taking the kicks. I'd make Halfpenny earn his way back into the side from the bench. Williams is a class act. North and Amos would complete my back three.

The centres is a tough one for Wales. Roberts and JD2 is an experienced and tested combo, but there are some talented players knocking on the door, particularly Tyler Morgan, Scott Williams and Cory Allen. Tough call for Howley.

It's Webb and Biggar every day of the week for me at halfback. Back-up is harder to call, although I'd have Gareth Davies on the bench for impact. Probably one from Gareth Anscombe, Matt Morgan, Sam Davies and Rhys Priestland, although the latter is probably out of the reckoning due to Gatland's Law.

That is good Fes, after his performances out in NZ and at home I wouldn't have Scott Williams on the bench, Tyler and Anscombe for me.

wayne

Posts : 3139
Join date : 2011-06-01
Location : Wales

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Tue 20 Sep - 1:06

LordDowlais wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Your crying victim mentality is boring LD and you constantly act daft. I'm not concerned about our history, I'm concerned about the upcoming squad and there is nothing that leads us to believe players will be played out position - that's based on who's available and the last squad we picked. If you like go off and find something from the WOL that proves your point, but don't copy and paste it in here like you usually do.

So you agree then ? We will play a person at number 8 who regularly plays in that position ? Like Dan Baker.

No you idiot.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6553
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by LordDowlais on Tue 20 Sep - 1:08

mikey_dragon wrote:No you idiot.

Classy. picard

So what is it then ?

We WILL play players out of position ? Or We WILL NOT play players out of position ?

LordDowlais

Posts : 11523
Join date : 2011-05-18
Location : Merthyr Tydfil

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 14 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum