Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 2:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

I thought we'd start with the Autumn series. Gatland the Great is set to return and shake things up after another disappointing season underneath the Howler and his pal McBryde. The fixtures for this series are as follows:

November 2017
Sat 11th Nov 17 17:15
Wales v Australia
Sat 18th Nov 17 14:30
Wales v Georgia
Sat 25th Nov 17 17:15
Wales v New Zealand
December 2017
Sat 2nd Dec 17 14:30
Wales v South Africa






-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well there's no time like now so why not. Last year was a bit disappointing, topped off with an unsuccessful tour to NZ (as expected). Whilst I'm hoping for better this season my expectations are low as we have Howler and some other amateurs in charge who got the job because they were mates with Gatland and others in the WRU.

AI's
Wales V Australia 05/11/2016
8 - 32
Wales V Argentina 12/11/2016
24 - 20
Wales V Japan 19/11/2016
33 - 30
Wales V South Africa 26/11/2016
27 - 13

6 Nations
Italy V Wales 05/02/2017
7 - 33
Wales V England 11/02/2017
16 - 21
Scotland V Wales 25/02/2017
29 - 13
Wales V Ireland 10/03/2017
22 - 9
France V Wales 18/03/2017
20 -18

Very tough AI series but a kind start in the 6N. So far this season Blues and Ospreys look good, but how many of their players will be starters for Wales? Cuthbert is starting to look like his old self and if this continues he could come back into the team. Tomos Williams looks like a good player and if he also continues in this vein then might he take advantage of Gareth Davies' supposed rustiness? It's still early days but going by what I've seen and the reports I've read I would like to see a new centre partnership and also perhaps see our old back 3 of North, Cuthbert and Halfpenny reinstated - although a lot could happen between now and November. With Faletau out I think we can all guess who the wildcards will be, but who does that leave to play at No.8 - possibly Warburton with Ellis Jenkins at 7? What changes (if any) would you like to see? Keep it sensible please.

WALES 2016 UNDER ARMOUR SERIES SQUAD
Prop Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues) (12 Caps) Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs) (14 Caps) Rhys Gill (Cardiff Blues) (6 Caps) Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues) (126 Caps) Samson Lee (Scarlets) (28 Caps) Nicky Smith (Ospreys) (3 Caps)
Hooker Scott Baldwin (Ospreys) (24 Caps) Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues) (3 Caps) Ken Owens (Scarlets) (42 Caps)
Second Row Jake Ball (Scarlets) (20 Caps) Luke Charteris (Bath Rugby) (68 Caps) Bradley Davies (Ospreys) (56 Caps) Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys) (102 Caps) Rory Thornton (Ospreys) (UNCAPPED)
Back Row Dan Baker (Ospreys) (3 Caps) Taulupe Faletau* (Bath Rugby) (61 Caps) James King (Ospreys) (8 Caps) Dan Lydiate (Ospreys) (57 Caps) Ross Moriarty (Gloucester) (9 Caps) Justin Tipuric (Ospreys) (43 Caps) Sam Warburton (CAPT) (Cardiff Blues) (67 Caps)
Scrum Half Gareth Davies (Scarlets) (17 Caps) Rhys Webb (Ospreys) (22 Caps) Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues) (27 Caps)
Fly Half Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues) (8 Caps) Dan Biggar (Ospreys) (48 Caps) Sam Davies (Ospreys) (UNCAPPED)
Centre Jonathan Davies (Scarlets) (56 Caps) Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons) (3 Caps) Jamie Roberts* (Harlequins) (83 Caps) Scott Williams (Scarlets) (38 Caps)
Wing/Full Back Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons) (10 Caps) Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues) (42 Caps) Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon) (62 Caps) George North* (Northampton Saints) (62 Caps) Liam Williams (Scarlets) (35 Caps) * Denotes Senior Player Selection Policy wildcard selection.
Ospreys wing Keelan Giles, Cardiff Blues full-back Rhun Williams and Dragons pair Leon Brown and Harrison Keddie will train with the Wales squad.  


June summer tour
Tonga 6 - 24 Wales
Samoa 17 - 19 Wales


Last edited by mikey_dragon on Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6525
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down


Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by TightHEAD on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 2:09 pm

Not much excitement from the Welsh fans about this game or the AI this year?

What's up guys?
avatar
TightHEAD

Posts : 2803
Join date : 2014-09-25
Location : USK

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by chris_501 on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 2:55 pm

Plenty of excitement, but it seems every thread descends into childish bickering that has ruined this site.

chris_501

Posts : 353
Join date : 2011-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Griff on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 5:52 pm

Yeah, there's not a huge number of Welsh posters left to be honest. At least, not many of the ones that get excited.

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Griff on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 12:28 pm

Jamie Roberts recalled to the Wales squad. Gatlandball here we come.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41968560

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 2:04 pm

But this is the genius part, they'll never expect us to use Roberts on the crash ball.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22217
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by gcBlues on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 2:34 pm

Roberts on the bench serves a purpose now that JD is looking like being out for a while. You play 10/12 as it is being done now knowing you have a 12 on the bench who can bring a physical effort to the back line should the need require it. I imagine Watkin will be 13 next week with JR benching and coming in at 12 in the second half to just give someone a rest.

JR at 12 with OW as fly half is a better option, IMO, than JR at 12 with DB as 10. At least JR would have an attacking fly half around him (Like Priestland, also) rather than one which, traditionally, is more of a controller (DB). Look at JR when he was playing outside Robinson for the blues, he was playing as his is now, but he was given space because his fly half stood flatter and could come on to the ball. Outside a 10 that sits deep more often than not isn't the best way to use a guy whose role is to carry to the gain line.

gcBlues

Posts : 1527
Join date : 2011-03-04
Location : Cardiff

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 2:37 pm

.


Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Never mind.)

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22217
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Griff on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 2:53 pm

I've no doubt Roberts won't let anyone down. He'll be solid. It's just a sad state of affairs when we have so little choice at 12. Owen Williams and Roberts play outside Wales so you'd think we'd manage something at 4 regions but it's only really Scott Williams. I know it goes in cycles, and sometimes we have a glut of centres when we're struggling for 10s, or lots of props when we have no 2nd rows, etc. but it would be lovely if the stars aligned just for once and we had some serious quality and depth across the pitch!

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 5:15 pm

Even if they're both just on the bench for Georgia it's a huge step backwards. Making wholesale changes is a huge step backwards when only a few are needed (most of which being on the bench).

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6525
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Mon 13 Nov 2017, 5:19 pm

Griff wrote:... but it would be lovely if the stars aligned just for once and we had some serious quality and depth across the pitch!

If the new boys in the front 5 continue to step up I don't think we're far away from that. Bear in mind we have a few injuries and Patchell is yet to be used. I'd like to see him involved in some capacity against Georgia. If we lost Liam for SA I'd probably Patchell as 15 cover.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6525
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Gwlad on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 2:41 am

Gutted for Gavin Henson tbh

Gwlad

Posts : 4016
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Gwlad on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 5:03 am

chris_501 wrote:Plenty of excitement, but it seems every thread descends into childish bickering that has ruined this site.

very true it is ruined, one wonders why. Headscratch

Gwlad

Posts : 4016
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by chris_501 on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 8:18 am

I can only really see Roberts as training fodder. The two Williams boys will be the 12s used, with Scott also covering 13 with Watkin.

Will Moriarty be drafted into the squad at any point? I thought Shingler performed well on Saturday, but doesn't quite have the abrasive edge of Moriarty.

Having said that, I think this weekend's back row will be 6. Lydiate, 7. Cross, 8. Navidi.

chris_501

Posts : 353
Join date : 2011-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Griff on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:36 am

We need to be really careful against Georgia. We see it almost every year where we completely rotate the squad for the 'weaker' game and either lose or very nearly lose. We've seen it against Fiji, Samoa, Japan, Canada, etc. Georgia just gave Canada a good hiding 54-22. Brining in non-form guys to hope they recover some form or to return from injury is not going to end up well for us. This is exactly the sort of game we struggle in. Not sure I'll be able to watch!

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:43 am

If we want to be going into games against the top sides full of confidence, then we need to nail the smaller nations. We need to put out full strength sides against the likes of Georgia, and put go all out to run up a cricket score (which would be unlikely even then).
avatar
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9689
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 33
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by SecretFly on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 10:49 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:If we want to be going into games against the top sides full of confidence, then we need to nail the smaller nations.  We need to put out full strength sides against the likes of Georgia, and put go all out to run up a cricket score (which would be unlikely even then).

On the contrary - well I'm not so certain about Wales, but I think my memory seems to suggest with Ireland at least that when they send out a 'B' side to do the biz against considered poor sides - the B side does actually function more 'ruthlessly' than you might actually expect of the main team. There is just something about considered poorer sides that allows considered better players to take their mental alertness elsewhere, take a break, go through the motions. I'm not saying the risk is of losing but certainly with Ireland, the risk is for a very plodding game indeed when the big boys take on considered 'minnows'.
Let the players with a lot to prove at the minnow Nations.

SecretFly

Posts : 26123
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Griff on Tue 14 Nov 2017, 11:56 am

SecretFly wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:If we want to be going into games against the top sides full of confidence, then we need to nail the smaller nations.  We need to put out full strength sides against the likes of Georgia, and put go all out to run up a cricket score (which would be unlikely even then).

On the contrary - well I'm not so certain about Wales, but I think my memory seems to suggest with Ireland at least that when they send out a 'B' side to do the biz against considered poor sides - the B side does actually function more 'ruthlessly' than you might actually expect of the main team.  There is just something about considered poorer sides that allows considered better players to take their mental alertness elsewhere, take a break, go through the motions.  I'm not saying the risk is of losing but certainly with Ireland, the risk is for a very plodding game indeed when the big boys take on considered 'minnows'.
Let the players with a lot to prove at the minnow Nations.


Doesn't happen with Wales. The B team either gets beat or very nearly, there's a massive media backlash, fringe players are blamed and they then lose confidence, Gatland says 'I told you so' about the fringe players everyone has been calling for and reverts to his tried and trusted and out of form and long in the tooth regulars, we then 'redeem ourselves' in the next game and everything is forgotten!

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 12:30 am

chris_501 wrote:I can only really see Roberts as training fodder. The two Williams boys will be the 12s used, with Scott also covering 13 with Watkin.

Will Moriarty be drafted into the squad at any point? I thought Shingler performed well on Saturday, but doesn't quite have the abrasive edge of Moriarty.

Having said that, I think this weekend's back row will be 6. Lydiate, 7. Cross, 8. Navidi.

I’d perhaps go with Owen Williams and Watkin in the centre. I see Watkin as a bit of a like for like replacement for JD2. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gats started Scott Williams and Parkes against SA.

I would hope not, there probably isn’t a better 6 in B&I than Shingler right now. I’d persist with him so he can continue to improve in the international team. Our 6 and 7 were really good on Saturday IMO.

I hope that isn’t the back row as it’s pretty awful and we’ll be up against a strong pack.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6525
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by munkian on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 11:37 am

Moriarty has hurt his back again.

avatar
munkian

Posts : 7439
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by chris_501 on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 12:04 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
chris_501 wrote:I can only really see Roberts as training fodder. The two Williams boys will be the 12s used, with Scott also covering 13 with Watkin.

Will Moriarty be drafted into the squad at any point? I thought Shingler performed well on Saturday, but doesn't quite have the abrasive edge of Moriarty.

Having said that, I think this weekend's back row will be 6. Lydiate, 7. Cross, 8. Navidi.

I’d perhaps go with Owen Williams and Watkin in the centre. I see Watkin as a bit of a like for like replacement for JD2. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gats started Scott Williams and Parkes against SA.

I would hope not, there probably isn’t a better 6 in B&I than Shingler right now. I’d persist with him so he can continue to improve in the international team. Our 6 and 7 were really good on Saturday IMO.

I hope that isn’t the back row as it’s pretty awful and we’ll be up against a strong pack.

Its not great, I agree. But with Warburton, Ellis Jenkins, Moriarty, James Davies, Ollie Griffiths, and potentially Tipuric all out, there isn't much left. I'd play that backrow, if only to keep Faletau and Shingler fresh for NZ.

chris_501

Posts : 353
Join date : 2011-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by munkian on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 1:09 pm

chris_501 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
chris_501 wrote:I can only really see Roberts as training fodder. The two Williams boys will be the 12s used, with Scott also covering 13 with Watkin.

Will Moriarty be drafted into the squad at any point? I thought Shingler performed well on Saturday, but doesn't quite have the abrasive edge of Moriarty.

Having said that, I think this weekend's back row will be 6. Lydiate, 7. Cross, 8. Navidi.

I’d perhaps go with Owen Williams and Watkin in the centre. I see Watkin as a bit of a like for like replacement for JD2. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gats started Scott Williams and Parkes against SA.

I would hope not, there probably isn’t a better 6 in B&I than Shingler right now. I’d persist with him so he can continue to improve in the international team. Our 6 and 7 were really good on Saturday IMO.

I hope that isn’t the back row as it’s pretty awful and we’ll be up against a strong pack.

Its not great, I agree. But with Warburton, Ellis Jenkins, Moriarty, James Davies, Ollie Griffiths, and potentially Tipuric all out, there isn't much left. I'd play that back row, if only to keep Faletau and Shingler fresh for NZ.

All good tacklers, all fit and mobile. Its no where near the worst back row we've ever put out. I don't think Faletau will be dropped though , he'll want to make amends for his 'poor' game.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7439
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by carpet baboon on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 2:05 pm

I want to see James Davis fit and playing international rugby,

carpet baboon

Posts : 1413
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by munkian on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 2:07 pm

carpet baboon wrote:I want to see James Davis fit and playing international rugby,

And I want to wear Gillian Anderson like a hockey mask but life's a Poopie-house son...
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7439
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by carpet baboon on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 2:09 pm

munkian wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:I want to see James Davis fit and playing international rugby,

And I want to wear Gillian Anderson like a hockey mask but life's a Poopie-house  son...

Best response ever. kiss

carpet baboon

Posts : 1413
Join date : 2014-05-08
Location : Midlands

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 3:50 pm

Why Scully though, why not Jessica Ennis?

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6525
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by munkian on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 3:51 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Why Scully though, why not Jessica Ennis?

Because Gillian is maturing like a fine wine. I feel Ennis will get a bit Fatima Whitbread with age.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7439
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 4:17 pm

Fair point. Anyway I wonder where that blinkered, menopausal cat is straying? I remember all the times he ridiculed me for rating Navidi over his overrated James Davies, looks like I was right again Smile. Has there ever been an occasion where I was wrong?

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6525
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by chris_501 on Wed 15 Nov 2017, 8:45 pm

munkian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Why Scully though, why not Jessica Ennis?

Because Gillian is maturing like a fine wine. I feel Ennis will get a bit Fatima Whitbread with age.

Whispering at you like she did in The Fall?

chris_501

Posts : 353
Join date : 2011-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by munkian on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 7:38 am

chris_501 wrote:
munkian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Why Scully though, why not Jessica Ennis?

Because Gillian is maturing like a fine wine. I feel Ennis will get a bit Fatima Whitbread with age.

Whispering at you like she did in The Fall?

That's put some wind in him Shocked
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7439
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Griff on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 10:23 am

munkian wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:I want to see James Davis fit and playing international rugby,

And I want to wear Gillian Anderson like a hockey mask but life's a Poopie-house  son...

Laugh

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by munkian on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 11:31 am

LYDIATE TO LEAD WALES
16 November 2017 10:56By Luke BroadleyDan LydiateDan Lydiate will lead his country for the third time, when facing Georgia on SaturdayDan Lydiate will captain Wales for a third time as he leads his country in their first outing against Georgia at Principality Stadium on Saturday November 18, in the second match of the 2017 Under Armour Series. (KO 2.30pm).



Lydiate is one of 14 personnel changes from the clash against Australia last weekend with Liam Williams the sole representative from the opening Under Armour Series encounter. Williams switches to full back in a new-look back three alongside Alex Cuthbert and Hallam Amos.

In the midfield Owen Watkin, who made his debut last Saturday, partners Scott Williams with Rhys Webb alongside Rhys Priestland at half-back.

In the pack Leon Brown, who made his international bow against Australia, lines up alongside Nicky Smith and Kristian Dacey in the front row. Cory Hill and Adam Beard make up the second row with Lydiate packing down in a back row alongside Sam Cross at openside and Seb Davies at No8.

"We felt this week was really important to give a number of the squad as much exposure as possible to Test match rugby," said Wales head coach Warren Gatland.

"It is an exciting opportunity for some of the younger guys to take the field and show us what they are capable of. We have got a fair amount of experience to throw into the mix too, both with players who have got a decent number of cap numbers but also players who have been around this environment for a good while too."

"Georgia are coming to Cardiff on the back of a good victory last weekend and they will be looking to show what they can do on this stage and we have to be ready for that."

On the bench uncapped Dragons hooker Elliot Dee features in Wales' match-day squad for the first time with Wyn Jones and Tomas Francis the other front row replacements. Josh Navidi and Taulupe Faleatu complete the forward contingent. Aled Davies, Dan Biggar and Owen Williams provide the back-line cover.

WALES TEAM TO PLAY GEORGIA (Saturday November 18, KO 2.30pm)
15. Liam Williams (Saracens) (44 Caps)
14. Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues) (46 Caps)
13. Scott Williams (Scarlets) (48 Caps)
12. Owen Watkin (Ospreys) (1 Cap)
11. Hallam Amos (Dragons) (12 Caps)
10. Rhys Priestland (Bath) (48 Caps)
9. Rhys Webb (Ospreys) (28 Caps);
1. Nicky Smith (Ospreys) (15 Caps)
2. Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues) (5 Caps)
3. Leon Brown (Dragons) (1 Cap)
4. Adam Beard (Ospreys) (1 Cap)
5. Cory Hill (Dragons) (7 Caps)
6. Dan Lydiate (CAPT - Ospreys) (60 Caps)
7. Sam Cross (Ospreys) (1 Cap)
8. Seb Davies (Blues) (2 Caps)

REPLACEMENTS:
16. Elliot Dee (Dragons) (*UNCAPPED)
17. Wyn Jones (Scarlets) (2 Caps)
18. Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs) (24 Caps)
19. Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues) (4 Caps)
20. Taulupe Faletau (Bath) (67 Caps)
21. Aled Davies (Scarlets) (3 Caps)
22. Dan Biggar (Ospreys) (57 Caps)
23. Owen Williams (Gloucester) (2 Caps)
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7439
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by munkian on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 11:32 am

Dee over Dacey for me.

Has Seb ever played 8 before ?
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7439
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by TightHEAD on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 11:40 am

Can't wait to see what Cuthbert brings to the table.
Also Priestland, nailed down the Bath No10 shirt once Ford left now looks like he has lost it to Freddie Burns. Hope it was worth it Rhys.
avatar
TightHEAD

Posts : 2803
Join date : 2014-09-25
Location : USK

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by munkian on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 11:47 am

TightHEAD wrote:Can't wait to see what Cuthbert brings to the table.
Also Priestland, nailed down the Bath No10 shirt once Ford left now looks like he has lost it to Freddie Burns. Hope it was worth it Rhys.

How has he 'lost it' to him ? Burns is just keeping it warm for him.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7439
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by TightHEAD on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 11:53 am

Nah, Burns (Local Lad) has nailed it.

Really can't see how a Cap vs Georgia was worth the risk to be honest.
avatar
TightHEAD

Posts : 2803
Join date : 2014-09-25
Location : USK

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by TightHEAD on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 11:54 am

Bless.

Are people still using the voting buttons?

Lol Very Happy Laugh Yahoo
avatar
TightHEAD

Posts : 2803
Join date : 2014-09-25
Location : USK

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 4:54 pm

Awful team and captain for me. Most of them are good players no doubt about that, but they're just thrown together and hope for the best - an approach that never seems to work. Players need to be slowly integrated to the team before we can make this many changes. I said at the start guys like Lydiate, Priestland and Cuthbert wouldn't have made my squad. Seb Davies at 8? That's a questionable one.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6525
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by chris_501 on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 7:50 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Awful team and captain for me. Most of them are good players no doubt about that, but they're just thrown together and hope for the best - an approach that never seems to work. Players need to be slowly integrated to the team before we can make this many changes. I said at the start guys like Lydiate, Priestland and Cuthbert wouldn't have made my squad. Seb Davies at 8? That's a questionable one.

The problem is we probably have only 2 matches a year where we can afford to not play our best XV, this weaker team in the AIs and Italy at home in the 6N. This is our 2nd best team (give or take), whether we like it or not, and they need exposure. It also means that those rested, get a much needed break before 2 more physical weekends.

chris_501

Posts : 353
Join date : 2011-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 10:51 pm

chris_501 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Awful team and captain for me. Most of them are good players no doubt about that, but they're just thrown together and hope for the best - an approach that never seems to work. Players need to be slowly integrated to the team before we can make this many changes. I said at the start guys like Lydiate, Priestland and Cuthbert wouldn't have made my squad. Seb Davies at 8? That's a questionable one.

The problem is we probably have only 2 matches a year where we can afford to not play our best XV, this weaker team in the AIs and Italy at home in the 6N. This is our 2nd best team (give or take), whether we like it or not, and they need exposure. It also means that those rested, get a much needed break before 2 more physical weekends.

But there’s 12 games in a year where you can give one new lad a try.  They don’t ALL need to be thrown in together.
avatar
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9689
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 33
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 12:32 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
chris_501 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Awful team and captain for me. Most of them are good players no doubt about that, but they're just thrown together and hope for the best - an approach that never seems to work. Players need to be slowly integrated to the team before we can make this many changes. I said at the start guys like Lydiate, Priestland and Cuthbert wouldn't have made my squad. Seb Davies at 8? That's a questionable one.

The problem is we probably have only 2 matches a year where we can afford to not play our best XV, this weaker team in the AIs and Italy at home in the 6N. This is our 2nd best team (give or take), whether we like it or not, and they need exposure. It also means that those rested, get a much needed break before 2 more physical weekends.

But there’s 12 games in a year where you can give one new lad a try.  They don’t ALL need to be thrown in together.

Yeah exactly. I probably would have made 4 personnel changes at the most, and changed the bench and then unload it on 50 minutes.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6525
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by ScarletSpiderman on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 7:51 am

Also when you are playing against a team that’s string in the set price it doesn’t help having an experimental pack either.
avatar
ScarletSpiderman

Posts : 9689
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 33
Location : Pembs

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by munkian on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 9:52 am

I feel Georgia are being bigged up slightly
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7439
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Griff on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 9:57 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
chris_501 wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Awful team and captain for me. Most of them are good players no doubt about that, but they're just thrown together and hope for the best - an approach that never seems to work. Players need to be slowly integrated to the team before we can make this many changes. I said at the start guys like Lydiate, Priestland and Cuthbert wouldn't have made my squad. Seb Davies at 8? That's a questionable one.

The problem is we probably have only 2 matches a year where we can afford to not play our best XV, this weaker team in the AIs and Italy at home in the 6N. This is our 2nd best team (give or take), whether we like it or not, and they need exposure. It also means that those rested, get a much needed break before 2 more physical weekends.

But there’s 12 games in a year where you can give one new lad a try.  They don’t ALL need to be thrown in together.

Agree entirely. I do agree with Chris though that it's really a really tough balance - we have to blood players, but we don't want to do it in the really important games (which most of them are). But agree with SS that doing it all at once is a recipe for disaster. Other nations are able to do it for some reason. Whether that's due to better coaching, better depth, or what I don't know. When you look at England Saxons and the Irish 2nds they're still able to get good victories over Tier 2 sides. When we try it in the 'lesser' AI game it all goes t*ts up. It's a bit like the first few games on a Lions tour where they throw a team together and they often struggle against supposedly lesser opposition. The main difference being that the Lions teams are the best (more or less) that the B&I has to offer. Whene Wales do it obviously it's our 2nd string, they've never all played together and the combos, understanding, patterns are understandably poor. That coupled with the expectation that we should win comfortably as we're playing a 'lesser' team. Actually, if the 'lesser' team is their first choice and we're using our 2nds then it's probably pretty even. So for me I'd drip feed some new guys throughout the 12 games - Steff Evans could have come in last 6N, for example. Just a game perhaps. Or a half. One or two form but inexperienced players surrounded by 13 experienced guys is much better than being thrown in surrounded by 2nds.

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Griff on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 10:01 am

munkian wrote:I feel Georgia are being bigged up slightly

Really? I think they're decent. They're above Italy in the rankings now. If we put out our seconds against Italy in the 6N I'd be nervous. Even though we know Italy are not great, they still cause some upsets. Not sure about the team that Canada put out the other day but to score 50 odd points means they're not bad. I could see Wales getting about the same.

Hope I'm wrong and we give them a shellacking but I'm not confident about this at all.

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by chris_501 on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 11:08 am

Of the team on Saturday, I would say that every back bar Watkins has been or is a first teamer. The pack is very callow but guys like Smith, Dacey and Hill are only one injury away from being 1st XV players so they should stand up and be counted.

It's not a perfect scenario I agree, but on our summer tour, without our Lions, we saw that players like Seb Davies stood out, if two or three of the pack can do the same, I think we can class it as a success.

chris_501

Posts : 353
Join date : 2011-07-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by munkian on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 11:19 am

AIs should be about testing new players.

Ideally I'd have had some more experience in the starting 15 but I dont see us getting so far behind that the bench can't get us back in it.

All the injuries to back row and centre make this kind of team necessary though.
avatar
munkian

Posts : 7439
Join date : 2011-04-01
Age : 36
Location : Bristol/The Port

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Luckless Pedestrian on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 11:43 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Fair point. Anyway I wonder where that blinkered, menopausal cat is straying? I remember all the times he ridiculed me for rating Navidi over his overrated James Davies, looks like I was right again Smile. Has there ever been an occasion where I was wrong?

How does Davies being injured prove you right?

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 22217
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 38
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Gwlad on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 3:46 pm

munkian wrote:I feel Georgia are being bigged up slightly

agreed. watched Canada game - Canada lamentable - and they are solid in some areas but no way they can maintain intensity

Gwlad

Posts : 4016
Join date : 2014-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by mikey_dragon on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 4:04 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Fair point. Anyway I wonder where that blinkered, menopausal cat is straying? I remember all the times he ridiculed me for rating Navidi over his overrated James Davies, looks like I was right again Smile. Has there ever been an occasion where I was wrong?

How does Davies being injured prove you right?

Proven right about Navidi. The one-eyed Turk said I was wrong, said Navidi wasn't international material, and resorted to making sh"t up in typical scumbag fashion - stating I based my evidence on a game against Zebre in the Pro14. Every time this feline has called me out on something I've never been wrong. I got to be honest it is nice to be right all the time.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 6525
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Griff on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 6:49 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Fair point. Anyway I wonder where that blinkered, menopausal cat is straying? I remember all the times he ridiculed me for rating Navidi over his overrated James Davies, looks like I was right again Smile. Has there ever been an occasion where I was wrong?

How does Davies being injured prove you right?

Proven right about Navidi. The one-eyed Turk said I was wrong, said Navidi wasn't international material, and resorted to making sh"t up in typical scumbag fashion - stating I based my evidence on a game against Zebre in the Pro14. Every time this feline has called me out on something I've never been wrong. I got to be honest it is nice to be right all the time.

I hope this post is sarcasm? Otherwise you sound like a massive bell!

Griff

Posts : 7342
Join date : 2011-06-03
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

Re: Wales thread continued - 2017/18 season

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum