The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 23 September

+25
Pot Hale
EWT Spoons
mckay1402
neilthom7
clivemcl
Nematode
The Great Aukster
alexgmacdonald
cakeordeath
marty2086
IanBru
Artful_Dodger
asoreleftshoulder
TheMildlyFranticLlama
carpet baboon
Notch
Hazel Sapling
BigGee
Don Alfonso
Pete330v2
Rory_Gallagher
RDW
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
29 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 23 September - Page 2 Empty Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 23 September

Post by George Carlin Mon 19 Sep 2016, 2:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 23 September - Page 2 Glasgo12                 Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 23 September - Page 2 Ulster10
Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby
Friday 23 September 2016
KO 19:35
Scotstoun Stadium

Live on BBC NI

Referee: Ian Davies (WRU, 51st competition game)
Assistant Referees: Sean Brickell (WRU), Cammy Rudkin (SRU)
Citing Commissioner: Douglas Hunter (SRU)
TMO: Gareth Simmonds (WRU)

A. Head to Head

29 Played 29
14 Wins 14
14 Losses 14
1 Draws 1
545 Points 541

B. Form

25 March 2016
Glasgow Warriors 27-17 Ulster Rugby

12 February 2016
Ulster Rugby 13 - 10 Glasgow Warriors

22 May 2015
Glasgow Warriors 16 - 14 Ulster Rugby

16 May 2015
Glasgow Warriors 32 - 10 Ulster Rugby

C. Teams

Glasgow Warriors 
Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 23 September - Page 2 Stanle10
[*]

Ulster Rugby
Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 23 September - Page 2 Frank-10
[*]

Last edited by George Carlin on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 23 September - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 23 September

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2016, 1:13 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Ulster have never won at Scotstoun...

Not at Scotstoun. We need you back at Firhill Smile

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 23 September - Page 2 Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Ulster Rugby, 23 September

Post by RDW Thu 22 Sep 2016, 1:21 pm

Ah blame the Scotsman - that's where I stole that fact from!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 22 Sep 2016, 1:22 pm

Munchkin wrote:

How dare you suggest that I am a Glasgwegien - permanent ban for you!! mad

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 22 Sep 2016, 1:30 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

How dare you suggest that I am a Glasgwegien - permanent ban for you!! mad

Sincere apologies angel

Have a piece of cake cake and a cup of tea mug on me Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 22 Sep 2016, 1:38 pm

OK I'll let you off with a warning then.

Can you not tell from my class and sophistication that I am not one of the Great Unwashed?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 22 Sep 2016, 2:02 pm

I must say that I do like Henderson at 6. I have him down as a Lion next summer.

I think the Ulster pack will have too much for Glasgow, particularly with the injuries.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 22 Sep 2016, 2:05 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:Ulster team and replacements:

15 J Payne
14 L Ludik
13 D Cave
12 S McCloskey
11 C Piutau
10 P Jackson
9 R Pienaar

1 A Warwick
2 R Herring (captain)
3 R Ah You
4 A O'Connor
5 F van der Merwe
6 I Henderson
7 S Reidy
8 R Wilson

Replacements (16-23): R Best, C Black, R Kane, P Browne, C Ross, P Marshall, S Olding, R Lyttle.

Ulster fans complaining about injuries and how hard up they are then they put out this team  boxing

Two full backs on the wing, a centre at full back and our 4th choice at 13 playing, we're fooked Whistle

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 23 Sep 2016, 7:53 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:Glasgow Warriors team to play Ulster at Scotstoun Stadium, Friday 23 September (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on BBC Two Scotland:
15. Stuart Hogg
14. Leonardo Sarto
13. Mark Bennett
12. Alex Dunbar
11. Tommy Seymour
10. Finn Russell
9. Henry Pyrgos (Co-Captain)

1. Gordon Reid
2. Fraser Brown
3. Zander Fagerson
4. Greg Peterson
5. Jonny Gray (Co-Captain)
6. Tjiuee Uanivi
7. Lewis Wynne*
8. Ryan Wilson

Replacements

16. Pat MacArthur
17. Alex Allan
18. Sila Puafisi
19. Sam Thomson*
20. Matt Fagerson*
21. Ali Price
22. Nick Grigg
23. Rory Hughes

Not available due to injury: Adam Ashe (hip / foot), Scott Cummings (shoulder), Simone Favaro (shoulder), Jarrod Firth (knee), Chris Fusaro (knees), Ryan Grant (back), Rob Harley (knee), Peter Horne (hand), D’arcy Rae (back), Josh Strauss (head), Tim Swinson (ribs) and Richie Vernon (shoulder).

* BT Sport Scottish Rugby Academy Stage 3 Player
That backline gives us a chance but to have the lock and loosie bench cover being 2 Academy kids that I've never seen play is very bad news against Ulster. Big test for Greg/Oscar/Jeff's fitness.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 23 Sep 2016, 7:57 am

Matt Fagerson is Zander's 18 year old brother, and is apparently an absolute unit.

Mike Blair said he looks like he's been working out in the gym for the last 10 years!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:55 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Matt Fagerson is Zander's 18 year old brother, and is apparently an absolute unit.

Mike Blair said he looks like he's been working out in the gym for the last 10 years!

Ahh but a massive unit does not guarantee success Cool

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 23 Sep 2016, 9:27 am

Sam Thompson, the academy lock does seem to have a bit of pedigree, even though I had never heard of him before yesterday.

Went to uni in Worcester, then spent a year playing in NZ followed by a year in France with Perpignan Esposir team, so probably fair to say he has had some exposure to some decent rugby.

He also used to partner Johnny Gray in the second row at school.

Good luck to him, hope he gets his chance and takes it.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 23 Sep 2016, 9:36 am

carpet baboon wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Matt Fagerson is Zander's 18 year old brother, and is apparently an absolute unit.

Ahh but a massive unit does not guarantee success Cool

For example Michelle McManus

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 23 Sep 2016, 9:39 am

The game is also on BBC2 Scotland

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:00 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:OK I'll let you off with a warning then.

Can you not tell from my class and sophistication that I am not one of the Great Unwashed?

Of course I can, 'twas just a momentary lapse in concentration. I have no doubt you change your socks daily Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:07 am

Heart says Ulster for the win, head says Glasgow. I'm not convinced Glasgow's backrow problems gives us a winning advantage, but we could sneak it. It's the second half that I'm concerned about. Weather permitting, we will probably start at a frantic pace and run out of steam in the second half. We really need to convert our opportunities into points, early on. We do have a strong bench though, and maybe that will make the difference.

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:21 am

As a Glasgow fan, my head says Ulster but my heart says Glasgow.

Both sides have explosive individuals that can change the match in an instant. Stuart Hogg and Charles Piutau have that incredible x-factor that we all come to watch so I hope that we see some of that.

We cannot discount the fact of Glasgow's near impeccable home record and the fact that with the new pitch the backs should be able to flourish.

Reading the weather app says that its 40% chance for rain from 7pm through till 9pm.

I can't wait for this one!

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:29 am

asoreleftshoulder wrote:So is this a sign that Payne is now staying at fullback?Great news for Ireland and frees up the centre spots for Ulster but Bowe,Timble and Gilroy will be discommoded.

If Payne didn't play there we would either need to have Olding in at 15 or Lyttle on the wing, there's a degree of defensive inexperience and positional weakness in both those options whereas Payne is usually a superb defender and organiser. Wouldn't know what this means if anything until those other back three players come back into the mix.

Hope Payne isn't too rusty. Good pack we have out, probably got a bit of an advantage up front on paper, but we certainly can't be as wasteful or error prone as we have been in the last two weeks. If we are, I'm nearly certain we will lose but if we do improve I think there are a lot of signs that we are building something a bit special so we could win.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:33 am

Heart says Ulster and head is optimistic about the game after the way Jackson played last week, and the Glasgow injuries in the backrow nullifying their normal advantage there. OTOH the home side is obviously more familiar with the surface so that could work in the Warriors favour.

Ulster are considering a new artificial pitch at the Kings Pan, what's the home fans' verdict on the one at Scotstoun?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:37 am

The Great Aukster wrote:Heart says Ulster and head is optimistic about the game after the way Jackson played last week, and the Glasgow injuries in the backrow nullifying their normal advantage there. OTOH the home side is obviously more familiar with the surface so that could work in the Warriors favour.

Ulster are considering a new artificial pitch at the Kings Pan, what's the home fans' verdict on the one at Scotstoun?

It's a massive improvement on what we had. It suits our game really well as it makes the game a lot faster and we base our game on speed, offloading and superior fitness. I heard Tim Swinson say it's tough to play on fitness wise but that works for us.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 23 Sep 2016, 10:38 am

This is going to be a tough game for Glasgow. Even if we don't factor in the injuries. I think we will struggle up front and if we can't control the breakdown we won't get fast ball. Which will nullify our back line.

Ulster by 10

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:07 am

alexgmacdonald wrote:As a Glasgow fan, my head says Ulster but my heart says Glasgow.

Both sides have explosive individuals that can change the match in an instant. Stuart Hogg and Charles Piutau have that incredible x-factor that we all come to watch so I hope that we see some of that.

We cannot discount the fact of Glasgow's near impeccable home record and the fact that with the new pitch the backs should be able to flourish.

Reading the weather app says that its 40% chance for rain from 7pm through till 9pm.

Hopefully it's dry during the game, even if a forwards battle will probably give us an advantage due to Glasgow's injury list. I'm expecting Ulster to have the advantage at the breakdown. Hopefully I won't be disappointed Very Happy

Forgot about your new pitch. That will make a big difference, even if the ball is a bit slippy. I'm expecting fireworks from the two backlines!

The pressure is on Glasgow, being a home game, but a win for Ulster would be massive.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:19 am

alexgmacdonald wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:Heart says Ulster and head is optimistic about the game after the way Jackson played last week, and the Glasgow injuries in the backrow nullifying their normal advantage there. OTOH the home side is obviously more familiar with the surface so that could work in the Warriors favour.

It's a massive improvement on what we had. It suits our game really well as it makes the game a lot faster and we base our game on speed, offloading and superior fitness. I heard Tim Swinson say it's tough to play on fitness wise but that works for us.

What about the injury factor - do you think it has gone up or down?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:50 am

The Great Aukster wrote:
alexgmacdonald wrote:

What about the injury factor - do you think it has gone up or down?

It's hard to tell after only one game on the surface. So I'm not really sure, maybe one of the other guys will know better

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by alexgmacdonald Fri 23 Sep 2016, 11:53 am

Munchkin wrote:
alexgmacdonald wrote:As a Glasgow fan, my head says Ulster but my heart says Glasgow.

Hopefully it's dry during the game, even if a forwards battle will probably give us an advantage due to Glasgow's injury list. I'm expecting Ulster to have the advantage at the breakdown. Hopefully I won't be disappointed Very Happy

Forgot about your new pitch. That will make a big difference, even if the ball is a bit slippy. I'm expecting fireworks from the two backlines!

The pressure is on Glasgow, being a home game, but a win for Ulster would be massive.

I hope so too, I find every season that Ulster are some of our toughest games. I would agree that Ulster have the breakdown advantage. We might see Glasgow have to resort to a counter attacking game but with one of the best counter attacking back 3's in the league (Seymour, Hogg, Sarto) and Mark Bennett who is a brilliant broken field runner. That could be our best chance.

alexgmacdonald

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri 23 Sep 2016, 3:53 pm

I think if Glasgow are to win this they need to be ahead on the 50th minute by at least 6 points. The bench just isn't strong enough and I fear Ulster could exploit that with Piennar - do any Ulster supporters know what's going on with his contract?

Will be great to see Russell getting a game after that injury.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 23 Sep 2016, 5:03 pm

Nematode wrote:I think if Glasgow are to win this they need to be ahead on the 50th minute by at least 6 points. The bench just isn't strong enough and I fear Ulster could exploit that with Piennar - do any Ulster supporters know what's going on with his contract?

I hear he might be off to Edinburgh Whistle

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 23 Sep 2016, 5:18 pm

Nematode wrote:I think if Glasgow are to win this they need to be ahead on the 50th 80thminute by at least 6 points 1 point.
Whistle Tidier now.

From a Glasgow point of view: a very strong front five with a mobile front row in reserve and hopefully young Thompson will have something about him. Apparently he and Jonny Gray were the second rows for their school team! The backs for Glasgow are probably the best we can put out, if they get their hands on the ball they'll score. The back row could be a wondrous thing to witness. Despite what the Luvvies say about his unfitness for international rugby Batman has always looked a very good no8 for the Warriors. Wynne has stepped up and looks like he wants that jersey permanently. Shooie is a big lump who should "do a job". At 6 his carrying can't be any worse than the Giant Red Crayon's.
From an Ulster point of view: ( pardon my brevity) henry could be the outstanding back- rower on the pitch. The rest of the pack is solid and will battle for every inch. However the backs have a re-arranged, makeshift look to them and if Dunbar and Bennett are anywhere near their best form it could be a mismatch.

So, heart says Glasgow. Head says fecc knows.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 23 Sep 2016, 7:26 pm

McArthur out and Corey Flynn onto the bench

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 23 Sep 2016, 7:47 pm

Great line from Payne

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 23 Sep 2016, 7:48 pm

Balls

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 23 Sep 2016, 7:50 pm

What was Henderson thinking? Totally unnecessary.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 7:58 pm

Yaaaay!! Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 23 Sep 2016, 7:59 pm

Glasgow are utter sh!te tonight

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 23 Sep 2016, 7:59 pm

Charlie P is ficking awesome

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:01 pm

He has made some quality players in that Glasgow back three look a bit silly on a couple of occasions.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:02 pm

Damn

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:05 pm

Ludik is a rock.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:07 pm

clivemcl wrote:What was Henderson thinking? Totally unnecessary.

Love the aggression but he really needs to watch the discipline. Cost us that Try. In fact, two Try's ( one against)

Last edited by Munchkin on Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:09 pm

Looks like a dislocated shoulder.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:11 pm

Last time I checked elbowing people in the head was a red card not play on like nothing happened

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:14 pm

G'WAN Rodney!

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:19 pm

Jesus Glasgow are running out of players

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:22 pm

Harsh!

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:22 pm

Are you F'ing serious

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:22 pm

Ref looking for excuses to rule out Ulsters trys Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:23 pm

Seriously rules that out and a Glasgow had a guy elbow one of our players in the head twice and not a thing given

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:27 pm

Ian Davies has lost it.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:29 pm

Did he just ignore what looked like a hand to Roger Wilsons face too?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:31 pm

I can understand the first try being disallowed. The second one? That's harsh as fick

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 23 Sep 2016, 8:31 pm

No arms in that tackle whatsover.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next