The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

+38
4putt
ralphjohn69
owen10ozzy
Fernando
Diggers
pedro
Eyetoldyouso
Roller_Coaster
NedB-H
LadyPutt
Faldono1fan
monty junior
kouchi
Be_the_ball
Born Slippy
navyblueshorts
John Cregan
1GrumpyGolfer
SmithersJones
AlciG
beninho
sirbenson
raycastleunited
MontysMerkin
JAS
Plunky
Shotrock
wiretapper
GPB
robopz
Seve76
super_realist
I'm never wrong
Davie
TRUSSMAN66
Mad for Chelsea
McLaren
kwinigolfer
42 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! Empty This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:03 pm

There . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by McLaren Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:10 pm

baba booey Cool
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here! Empty Re: This Is The Official v2 Golf Board's Ryder Cup Thread: Please Post Here!

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:20 pm

GET IN THE HOLE!

Am I doing this right? Wink

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:24 pm

Let's hope it's close...Have my doubts..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:27 pm

Don't worry TRUSS - we'll try not to beat you by too much...

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:29 pm

On a serious note. (Boo I hear you say!)
I am thinking about the singles match up on Sunday.
My thoughts are Phil Mickelson v Henrik Stenson (The Open v2) and Rory McIlroy v Ryan Moore (TC v2) - but more likely Dustin Johnson. Danny Willett (Masters) v Jimmy Walker (PGA) Justin Rose (Gold medal Olympics) v Matt Kuchar (Bronze medal Olympics)

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:43 pm

They don't get to pick who plays who, they put players in a list and then they play one another.

For instance, whoever they pick at #1 at their list plays one another, the captains don't conspire to make matches happen.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve76 Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:46 pm

Yep, was just about to say that myself.
I'm always surprised that some people think the match-ups are arranged - the captains submit their parings & orders blind; it's then pot luck who ends up playing who.

Seve76

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve76 Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:50 pm

Maybe it comes from the famous "I want Wadkins!" episode from 1985, when Manuel Pinero asked to play in the top singles match.
It's a nice little story, but in reality Jacklin had no way of knowing for sure that Trevino would put Wadkins out first.

Seve76

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Sep 2016, 1:50 pm

When are the first pairings to be announced?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 29 Sep 2016, 2:06 pm

super_realist wrote:When are the first pairings to be announced?
At the end of the opening ceremony. I.e. tonight late.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 29 Sep 2016, 2:08 pm

super_realist wrote:They don't get to pick who plays who, they put players in a list and then they play one another.

I am suspicious, Super. Let's just say I think - and I may be wrong and not live up to my username - that the TV companies might "want" to have some interesting match ups.
We'll see.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Sep 2016, 2:12 pm

If that was the case INW, then how do you explain things like Celtic Manor where America stacked their best players at the bottom and Europe at the top, or at Medinah when America completely messed up their picks in singles?

I don't think it transpires the way you think, otherwise it wouldn't have been Phil v Gallacher or McIlroy v Fowler at Gleneagles.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 29 Sep 2016, 2:18 pm

super_realist wrote:McIlroy v Fowler at Gleneagles.
. Kind of proves my point. Who played with McIlroy in the Open that year in the last round?

I know I am being disingenuous, but lets see.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Sep 2016, 2:26 pm

Not really, that wouldn't be the match which people wanted to see, it would have been McIlroy V Reverend Spieth. You can't tell me that G-Fat V Spieth was a more desirable match up?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 29 Sep 2016, 2:30 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:the TV companies might "want" to have some interesting match ups.
Sam Allerdyce is free this week so maybe he can be hired as facilitator.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 29 Sep 2016, 2:31 pm

Well, it wasn't Spieths amazing season. That was 2015. If the Ryder Cup was in 2015 then McIlroy v Spieth would be right.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Sep 2016, 2:36 pm

Fowler still had won practically bugger all in 2014, so that wouldn't have been the plum draw either. At that time he was still one of the worlds "most over-rated players"

By sheer chance you are going to get some tantalising match ups by random, but that doesn't mean it is gerrymandered.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2016, 2:49 pm

I believe it's totally random.
But even here the Europeans tend to have better strategerie with it than the US.

LoveIII just about broadcast to all and sundry @ Medinah, for instance, that Bubba would open the batting because he's fidgetty and likes to get a move on. Who better, then, to pitch against him than Cool Hand Luke, Steady Eddie with, at the time, a magical short game. Woods out last when his point didn't matter. Just plain daft.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 29 Sep 2016, 3:21 pm

In the giving credit where credit is due category... Phil apologizes for his Sutton comments... says “I was totally in the wrong,”....

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/mickelson-calls-sutton-apologizes-critical-comments/

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/mickelson-im-so-so-sorry/

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 29 Sep 2016, 3:23 pm

If the 12th singles point doesn't matter, why would Seve put Monty out last in 1997?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 29 Sep 2016, 3:23 pm

Seve76 wrote:Maybe it comes from the famous "I want Wadkins!" episode from 1985, when Manuel Pinero asked to play in the top singles match.
It's a nice little story, but in reality Jacklin had no way of knowing for sure that Trevino would put Wadkins out first.

Rumor has it that Mickelson and Johanson asked to go out last in 95.....To renew a student rivalry..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 29 Sep 2016, 3:27 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:
super_realist wrote:They don't get to pick who plays who, they put players in a list and then they play one another.

I am suspicious, Super. Let's just say I think - and I may be wrong and not live up to my username - that the TV companies might "want" to have some interesting match ups.
We'll see.
I've suspected such in some of the President's Cups... but not Ryder Cups. IMO both captains will make every pairing and slot every start time on the objective of winning that point. Only question in my mind is how willing are either of the captains to sit "out of form" players... or will everyone get to play at least 3.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Thu 29 Sep 2016, 3:36 pm

I think we all knew the order of the US team in the 2004 singles, Hal wasn't a very subtle captain Laugh

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 29 Sep 2016, 3:44 pm

robopz wrote:
I'm never wrong wrote:

We'll see.
I've suspected such in some of the President's Cups... but not Ryder Cups.  IMO both captains will make every pairing and slot every start time on the objective of winning that point.  Only question in my mind is how willing are either of the captains to sit "out of form" players... or will everyone get to play at least 3.

Woods v Andrew Coltart..

Woods v Molinari x 2....Hardly mouthwatering..

Wadkins played the spaniard because they knew Wadkins was a fast player and would probably go out first.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Sep 2016, 3:45 pm

GPB wrote:If the 12th singles point doesn't matter, why would Seve put Monty out last in 1997?

Who said 12th doesn't matter? Monty put GFat out last in 2010, and it was a great move.
The point is that captains try to think of the best combination. Some captains think front loading is best, some rear, some distributing the best players in strategic places. Part of their job, and to gerrymander it would make it a far less interesting spectacle.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 29 Sep 2016, 3:48 pm

It won't matter this time..

Your 6 rookies will be 7th to 12th in any order you like..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Thu 29 Sep 2016, 3:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It won't matter this time..

Your 6 rookies will be 7th to 12th in any order you like..

Do you really think we'll be that far in front by that point Whistle

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 29 Sep 2016, 4:00 pm

Robo, Unfinished business;

A reply to your last Mickelson post

I have been reading the post 2014 RC Presser transcript  

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=103079

For your convenience I have copy/pasted questions Phil answered but I linked the entire transcript to make sure you knew that I didn't take anything out of context.

Spoiler:

Sorry, I don't see "evisceration", "humiliation", "ambushing".  

I do see Phil answering the questions asked, and giving credit to Azinger and his system

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 29 Sep 2016, 4:03 pm

super_realist wrote:
GPB wrote:If the 12th singles point doesn't matter, why would Seve put Monty out last in 1997?

Who said 12th doesn't matter? Monty put GFat out last in 2010, and it was a great move.
The point is that captains try to think of the best combination. Some captains think front loading is best, some rear, some distributing the best players in strategic places. Part of their job, and to gerrymander it would make it a far less interesting spectacle.

Kwini did:

kwinigolfer wrote:Woods out last when his point didn't matter. Just plain daft.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 29 Sep 2016, 4:17 pm

GPB... you can parse that 2014 post RC presser anyway you like, but it's not gonna undo what it was. Everybody else seems to get it... kinda shocking that you still don't. Nothing else to say about it really, so believe what you want to believe... we'll just have to agree to disagree.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 29 Sep 2016, 4:19 pm

Opening ceremony is from 10pm to 11:30pm tonight? (UK time) - how will they fill 90 minutes?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Sep 2016, 4:22 pm

I'm watching the Sky coverage, or rather all the filler on TV and there's a programme on about Clarke, must say he is a bit of a berk.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 29 Sep 2016, 4:23 pm

I've got a feeling about this ...

US Team will overthink every decision.

Plenty of "European" Rookies, but I suspect enough Euro leadership to keep the ship steady.

Hope for and actually think this will be a close event and not another Euro route.

Can you believe my Sister-in-Law is hosting a family gathering Saturday afternoon? No way she would interrupt an Eagles game (bandwagon has standing room only at the moment), so why not give some respect to this exhibition event???

If any who read this are going, suggest a side trip to the Convention Grill in Edina:

http://www.conventiongrillmn.com/

I NEVER joke about food.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 29 Sep 2016, 4:35 pm

robopz wrote:GPB... you can parse that 2014 post RC presser anyway you like, but it's not gonna undo what it was.  Everybody else seems to get it... kinda shocking that you still don't.  Nothing else to say about it really, so believe what you want to believe... we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Its you (and other bloggers here) that is doing the parsing. You said Mickelson eviscerated and humiliated Watson. You are doing the Reading between the lines.

Why is it that the other players did not come to Watson's defense? The Media is the one that made the mountain out of the proverbial molehill (as they wont to do because it SELLS!)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 29 Sep 2016, 4:36 pm

The order if players should be determined by the standings after Sat. If you're behind you should front load, if it's even it's probably better to balance out and assume the 12th match will matter. If you're ahead you should also front load to avoid the opponent to gain momentum, but only moderately.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 29 Sep 2016, 4:43 pm

Another case of a Media Made Mountain from a Molehill is the "Pete Willett" comments.

A reporter just asked DJohnson about ho Pete Willett's comments are being talked about in the Team room. DJohnson basically said it's not.

Its the media doing what the media does. Its trying to create something that is not there.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 29 Sep 2016, 4:45 pm

pedro wrote:The order if players should be determined by the standings after Sat. If you're behind you should front load, if it's even it's probably better to balance out and assume the 12th match will matter. If you're ahead you should also front load to avoid the opponent to gain momentum, but only moderately.

Davis Love was criticized by not putting out Phil/Keegan in the 4th session

He was also criticized for not front loading his singles lineup.

Keegan was put out third in the singles and Phil was put out 4th.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 29 Sep 2016, 4:47 pm

GPB wrote:Its you (and other bloggers here) that is doing the parsing.  You said Mickelson eviscerated and humiliated Watson.  You are doing the Reading between the lines.
  I think you misstated that... Perhaps you accidentally left out the part in bold..."Its you (and other bloggers here, AND THE CONSENSUS OF THE WORLDWIDE MEDIA AND GOLF FANS AT THE TIME AND STILL TODAY) that is doing the parsing....."  

Phil set the stage for everything that happened in that presser before he ever went in there... You seem to forget that he was making the same kind of comments OUTSIDE the media center before that presser and they were circulating via social media as the presser was beginning... of course the topic was going to be broached again in the formal press conference.  How anyone can have been watching the entire context and sequence of events as they were happening and get any other impression that Phil wasn't throwing Watson entirely under the bus is just incredible to me. That's my last word on the subject. Believe what you want to believe.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 29 Sep 2016, 4:52 pm

Robo: How many times do I have to say that Mickelson could have been more diplomatic?

Spoiler:

Its your hyperbolic words like "evisceration" and "humilated" that I object to.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 29 Sep 2016, 5:13 pm

I predict the captain of the winning team will be lauded as brilliant in his tactical decisions regarding his pairings and order in which he sends out his players. While of course the losing captain will have gotten it all wrong.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 29 Sep 2016, 5:43 pm

In defense if Phil the presser was only a few hours after they lost. Obviously he's p!ssed.
If you see how footballers let alone managers react after a defeat, Phils comments are nothing but small talk in comparison.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Sep 2016, 7:36 pm

Anyone watching The Ex Captains game? Looks like Crenshaw will be following Arnie into the cemetery soon.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 29 Sep 2016, 7:54 pm

HILARIOUS....  from GolfWeek

CHASKA, Minn. – One key to winning the Ryder Cup? Why, making putts, of course.

Whether or not Team USA gets the putts to drop this weekend at Hazeltine remains to be seen, but on Thursday one American fan proved he can make a big putt to beat the Europeans.

Confused? We’ll explain: European players Rory McIlroy and Andy Sullivan kept missing a 12-foot putt on the eighth green when an American fan named David Johnson started heckling the players, according to the PGA Tour’s Ben Everill. The fan then contested that he could make it, so the other two Europeans in the group, Henrik Stenson and Justin Rose, brought the fan onto the green to attempt the putt. (Rose even putt $100 on it; “I thought it might make it a bit more real for him, but clearly not,” Rose told Golf Channel’s Steve Burkowski.)

That’s when the unthinkable happened: the fan (in jeans and loafers, no less) took Sullivan’s putter and sank the putt, celebrating with some powerful fist pumps. The Europeans couldn’t help but high-five the guy, either.

Here's the video of it from Rory's Twitter feed... notice Rose's $100 on the ground by the ball as the guy is getting ready to putt... https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/781535441233162241

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 29 Sep 2016, 8:00 pm

Super

Crenshaw isn't that old.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 29 Sep 2016, 8:01 pm

I totally forgot RCB was in the team.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 29 Sep 2016, 8:32 pm

McLaren wrote:I totally forgot RCB was in the team.

I have a feeling Clarke might forget that Wood and Fitzpatrick are on the team until Sunday.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2016, 8:33 pm

Montgomerie in 1997, or McDool in 2010 for that matter, wasn't exactly the equivalent of Woods.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 29 Sep 2016, 8:37 pm

robopz wrote:HILARIOUS....  from GolfWeek

CHASKA, Minn. – One key to winning the Ryder Cup? Why, making putts, of course.

Whether or not Team USA gets the putts to drop this weekend at Hazeltine remains to be seen, but on Thursday one American fan proved he can make a big putt to beat the Europeans.

Confused? We’ll explain: European players Rory McIlroy and Andy Sullivan kept missing a 12-foot putt on the eighth green when an American fan named David Johnson started heckling the players, according to the PGA Tour’s Ben Everill. The fan then contested that he could make it, so the other two Europeans in the group, Henrik Stenson and Justin Rose, brought the fan onto the green to attempt the putt. (Rose even putt $100 on it; “I thought it might make it a bit more real for him, but clearly not,” Rose told Golf Channel’s Steve Burkowski.)

That’s when the unthinkable happened: the fan (in jeans and loafers, no less) took Sullivan’s putter and sank the putt, celebrating with some powerful fist pumps. The Europeans couldn’t help but high-five the guy, either.

Here's the video of it from Rory's Twitter feed... notice Rose's $100 on the ground by the ball as the guy is getting ready to putt... https://twitter.com/McIlroyRory/status/781535441233162241

To be fair, it looked a pretty straight putt - at least at the speed he hit it! The greenskeepers will be out in force repairing the back of the hole I think :P

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Thu 29 Sep 2016, 8:42 pm

GPB wrote:
McLaren wrote:I totally forgot RCB was in the team.

I have a feeling Clarke might forget that Wood and Fitzpatrick are on the team until Sunday.
could be... I'm not up on Wood's injury status, but he had a decent outing in Italy...  Fitz had a couple of decent starts in his last two as well, T7,  T16.  Most out of form player on either team might be Zach Johnson, and with a new driver in the bag this week.

EDIT... Or maybe Andy Sullivan most out of form..

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next