The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PRO12 Big Weekend 1 - attendances and viewers growing

+9
Cardiff Dave
Cyril
marty2086
Jimpy
mikey_dragon
SecretFly
carpet baboon
PhilBB
Pot Hale
13 posters

Go down

PRO12 Big Weekend 1 - attendances and viewers growing Empty PRO12 Big Weekend 1 - attendances and viewers growing

Post by Pot Hale Tue 4 Oct - 8:45

From www.pro12.com

The first-ever Big Weekend will kick-off in a showcase of rivalries new and old in the Guinness PRO12 as the best players from Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales take to the field this weekend.

A number of the biggest club rugby venues in Britain and Ireland will play host to some of the most exciting match-ups in the Championship just one week before clubs from Guinness PRO12 begin their European campaigns.

Across the first five rounds of action the Guinness PRO12 has attracted more TV viewers and higher attendances than at this point last season with more exciting rugby on offer and more tries being scored.

In addition to offering rugby union fans a chance to enjoy their favourite rivalries and see new ones emerge, Martin Anayi, Chief Executive of PRO12 Rugby, explained that it was the ideal preparation for European competition.

“The Guinness PRO12 has colourful history which has entertained traditional tribal rivalries and created new ones, too, and what better way to celebrate this than by introducing our six Big Weekends,” Anayi said.

“These games mean so much to our clubs and supporters and we hope that by grouping them together before taking on Europe’s elite it will ensure that the match-winning instincts of our players have been intensely honed in our Championship.

“The competition in the Guinness PRO12 has never been so intense and the performances of our clubs has caught the imagination of our fans who are turning out in greater numbers to our games and watching more of our broadcasts,” Anayi added.

The Big Weekends for the Guinness PRO12 will occur in Rounds 6, 7, 11, 12 & 20 before the grand regular season finale in Round 22, where Super Saturday will provide an enthralling fixture list as teams compete for places in the Semi-Finals and for Champions Cup qualification.

ATTENDANCE GROWTH

Total attendance for Rounds 1 to 5 is 208,406 which is up 4% on 2015/16
Like for Like Games comparison has seen an increase of 6.5% (up from 195,892) on 2015/16
BROADCAST GROWTH

Average audience per weekend during Rounds 1 to 4 was 451,750 which is up 22.5% when compared to 2015/16 among audiences in Ireland and Wales.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

PRO12 Big Weekend 1 - attendances and viewers growing Empty Re: PRO12 Big Weekend 1 - attendances and viewers growing

Post by Guest Tue 4 Oct - 9:38

Thanks, Pot.

22.5% is a big jump in broadcast figures. Shows the league is alive and well, and hopefully pushes future negotiating deals in our favour.

Back to top Go down

PRO12 Big Weekend 1 - attendances and viewers growing Empty Re: PRO12 Big Weekend 1 - attendances and viewers growing

Post by Pot Hale Tue 4 Oct - 9:42

Munchkin wrote:Thanks, Pot.

22.5% is a big jump in broadcast figures. Shows the league is alive and well, and hopefully pushes future negotiating deals in our favour.

Agreed Munchkin.

I had noticed that attendance figures seemed to be up this season - a good crowd at the Cardiff game, and Connacht getting 5,000 plus figures for their early games.  

I might dig out and update the table I did last year showing attendances by team/country on home/away basis and see how it goes over the coming weeks and months.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 4 Oct - 10:01

Yes, from reading the Cardiff forums they seem pretty happy about a rise in attendance figures. Maybe they are all turning up to see Big Nick 'the wrecking ball' Williams Very Happy A bit of success will do wonders for the Regions. If Cardiff can maintain a real challenge for the top, I expect their attendance figures to really jump.

Yep, your attendance table was great work, last season. Really informative. It would be great to see the comparisons.

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 4 Oct - 18:39

Isn't it amazing that people turn up to watch winners. To make winners, you need money in pro sport.

Welsh rugby is now just getting out of a 5 to 6 year rut where money was relatively removed from the professional game thanks to Roger Lewis.

What we are slowly seeing in three of the four teams (forget the other one, that's a basket case of dogma over financial common sense) is investment leading to better rugby.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 4 Oct - 20:52

Phill with this investment and improvement and the league getting better can you see yourself warming to the pro12?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Tue 4 Oct - 20:57

carpet baboon wrote:Phill with this investment and improvement and the league getting better can you see yourself warming to the pro12?

I almost, almost, almost got beyond freezing on Saturday night.

And then the reality of it all struck home. Those realities aren't going away until Irish rugby gets its radical shake up so, in a word - no, I can't see myself warming to the PrO'12.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 4 Oct - 20:58

PhilBB wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:Phill with this investment and improvement and the league getting better can you see yourself warming to the pro12?

I almost, almost, almost got beyond freezing on Saturday night.

And then the reality of it all struck home. Those realities aren't going away until Irish rugby gets its radical shake up so, in a word - no, I can't see myself warming to the PrO'12.

Fair enough

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 4 Oct - 22:29

PhilBB wrote:Isn't it amazing that people turn up to watch winners. To make winners, you need money in pro sport.

Welsh rugby is now just getting out of a 5 to 6 year rut where money was relatively removed from the professional game thanks to Roger Lewis.

What we are slowly seeing in three of the four teams (forget the other one, that's a basket case of dogma over financial common sense) is investment leading to better rugby.

Alun Wyn Jones agrees with you.  He's very enthusiastic about what is basically a version of the bad old Irish system, supposedly 'invented' in Wales Wink

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37543276

Everyone is slowly coming on side...... OK Great news.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 5 Oct - 2:33

SecretFly wrote:
PhilBB wrote:Isn't it amazing that people turn up to watch winners. To make winners, you need money in pro sport.

Alun Wyn Jones agrees with you.  He's very enthusiastic about what is basically a version of the bad old Irish system, supposedly 'invented' in Wales Wink

Everyone is slowly coming on side...... OK   Great news.

World class opinion from a world class player.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Wed 5 Oct - 2:52

Great news. Long may it continue. I said at the beginning of the season that the Welsh regions would improve on their miserable season last year, and the early signs are they making a good fist of it. Ideally, it would be good to see a Scottish and Welsh side contest the final to further drive support and attendances.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 5 Oct - 20:47

mikey_dragon wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Here we go again, you've used 'AWJ' and 'World Class' in the same sentence again. How deluded can you be. AWJ wouldn't get into the England Squad, let alone a World 15.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 5 Oct - 21:16

Jimpy wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Here we go again, you've used 'AWJ' and 'World Class' in the same sentence again. How deluded can you be. AWJ wouldn't get into the England Squad, let alone a World 15.

World class isn't just the best 15 players in the world though.  I'd consider Pocock world class but with McCaw probably getting into the world 15 in that position that would make Pocock not world class?  Nonsense!  You just have to be one of the best in the world.  I'd consider AWJ one of those, but of course it is just opinion and open to disagreement/ridicule.  Similarly Richie Gray is often touted as 'world class' but I've never quite understood it.  But I don't say people are deluded as we all appreciate different things.

Last edited by Griff on Wed 5 Oct - 21:17; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't make sense!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 5 Oct - 22:53

Griff wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

World class isn't just the best 15 players in the world though.  I'd consider Pocock world class but with McCaw probably getting into the world 15 in that position that would make Pocock not world class?  Nonsense!  You just have to be one of the best in the world.  I'd consider AWJ one of those, but of course it is just opinion and open to disagreement/ridicule.  Similarly Richie Gray is often touted as 'world class' but I've never quite understood it.  But I don't say people are deluded as we all appreciate different things.

When it comes to AWJ, you can be fairly sure anyone describing him as world class is deluded.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 5 Oct - 22:57

Jimpy wrote:
Griff wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

When it comes to AWJ, you can be fairly sure anyone describing him as world class is deluded.

Why?

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 5 Oct - 23:04

Jimpy wrote:

Wouldn't get into the England squad but will probably get into the Lions squad for a 3rd time Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 5 Oct - 23:12

marty2086 wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Wouldn't get into the England squad but will probably get into the Lions squad for a 3rd time  Rolling Eyes

As a Welshman getting into the Lions squad isn't exactly tricky these days... Whistle

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 6 Oct - 6:43

Griff wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Griff wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Why?

Because the person you're speaking with is an anti-Welsh anti traveller homophobic troll. I guess living alone with your cats is enough to make one a very angry person - better go vent over the Internet thumbsup

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 6 Oct - 7:47

A story for the Fail to get its teeth into, if it had any.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 6 Oct - 8:02

mikey_dragon wrote:
Griff wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Griff wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Why?

Because the person you're speaking with is an anti-Welsh anti traveller homophobic troll. I guess living alone with your cats is enough to make one a very angry person - better go vent over the Internet thumbsup

I live alone but don't have any cats. Do cats make people very angry?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 6 Oct - 8:17

Oh yes. Not sure they'd make you racist or homophobic though, which is what gimpy has shown himself to be on previous occasions.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 6 Oct - 8:46

mikey_dragon wrote:Oh yes. Not sure they'd make you racist or homophobic though, which is what gimpy has shown himself to be on previous occasions.

I see. So what did you mean by "I guess living alone with your cats is enough to make one a very angry person - better go vent over the internet"?

Is your guess meant to be humourous or insightful human observation and understanding, caricature or what?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Thu 6 Oct - 8:58

Pot Hale wrote:

I live alone but don't have any cats.  Do cats make people very angry?

Made my Dad very angry when they did their doings in his treasured veg patch.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 6 Oct - 9:01

Pot Hale wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Oh yes. Not sure they'd make you racist or homophobic though, which is what gimpy has shown himself to be on previous occasions.

I see.   So what did you mean by "I guess living alone with your cats is enough to make one a very angry person - better go vent over the internet"?  

Is your guess meant to be humourous or insightful human observation and understanding, caricature or what?

Humourous - trying to bring a title joy into angry people's lives.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 6 Oct - 10:33

mikey_dragon wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

I see.   So what did you mean by "I guess living alone with your cats is enough to make one a very angry person - better go vent over the internet"?  

Ah yes - title joy - a useful thing to have. Wink
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 6 Oct - 18:37

Jimpy wrote:
Griff wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Hes no Devin Toner
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu 6 Oct - 18:59

When it comes to second row no one compares to Martin Johnson and John Eales. (I would add O'Connell to the list but I'm sure I would be accused of bias)

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 6 Oct - 20:05

Pot Hale wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

Ah yes - title joy  - a useful thing to have.  Wink

It's a big thing in Wales.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Thu 6 Oct - 20:55

carpet baboon wrote:When it comes to second row no one compares to Martin Johnson and John Eales. (I would add O'Connell to the list but I'm sure I would be accused of bias)

Nobody compares to Nobody

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu 6 Oct - 21:09

toml wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:When it comes to second row no one compares to Martin Johnson and John Eales. (I would add O'Connell to the list but I'm sure I would be accused of bias)

Nobody compares to Nobody

Nobody is perfect

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 6 Oct - 22:07

I am.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 6 Oct - 22:38

I wouldn't have Martin Johnson as a great lock, more of a great rugby player/leader. O'Connell had it all - was a great lock with great athleticism as well as a great leader. I'd rate AWJ as a great rugby player as well. A bit short on stature, but a really great competitor. He will teach those young English locks a thing or two yet!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 6 Oct - 23:12

O'Connell was a very good leader (except when sulking and smoking in his room) but I'd say he made the best of his abilities through graft and sheet bloody-mindedness. Not a great player and certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Johnson or Eales.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 6 Oct - 23:23

Cyril wrote:O'Connell was a very good leader (except when sulking and smoking in his room) but I'd say he made the best of his abilities through graft and sheet bloody-mindedness. Not a great player and certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Johnson or Eales.

Is this now the national lock-waving contest?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 6 Oct - 23:24

Pot Hale wrote:
Cyril wrote:O'Connell was a very good leader (except when sulking and smoking in his room) but I'd say he made the best of his abilities through graft and sheet bloody-mindedness. Not a great player and certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Johnson or Eales.

Is this now the national lock-waving contest?
Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 6 Oct - 23:25

Laugh

Sulking. That wouldn't be Martin's middle name would it?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Fri 7 Oct - 3:04

What percentage of the growth in PRO12 2016 attendance is due to AWJ?

4.32%

What percentage of the growth in PRO12 2016 attendance is due to Eales?

5.17%

POC wins it.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Fri 7 Oct - 3:08

But I did hear Eales was planning on bringing the whole of Australia over for Treviso's next home game
That will have a big impact on numbers

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down