The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

+50
Scottrf
nathan
Heaf
Cumbrian
englishborn
Seagultaf
rosbif
Margin_Walker
prop_lyd
GunsGermsV2
munkian
uncle_nigel
Gooseberry
killer938
geoff999rugby
Dollar Bill
Bathman_in_London
B91212
ChequeredJersey
BigGee
wayne
LondonTiger
WELL-PAST-IT
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Recwatcher16
SirBurger
lostinwales
XR
Hazel Sapling
stnick88
Ozzy3213
George Carlin
No 7&1/2
whocares
beshocked
Fluxy
Sgt_Pooly
Geordie
king_carlos
Cyril
BamBam
True Raven
HongKongCherry
mikey_dragon
Welly
propdavid_london
yappysnap
Bathite
Rugby Fan
formerly known as Sam
54 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 3 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

Nit before the Lions tour. Don't think any of the All Black internationals will end their career pre tour.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 3 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by whocares Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:11 pm

Yes he assaulted a woman in Toulon.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 3 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by propdavid_london Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Is this the Maafu that had a stint with Saints too?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:46 pm

propdavid_london wrote:Is this the Maafu that had a stint with Saints too?

Yep. He fell from grace rather quickly after leaving the Gardens.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:47 pm

But wasn't there some disciplinary reasons for him leaving there too?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:31 pm

It's all very murky what happened in Toulon, I have read that it was something along the lines of he was going to park his car in a space but a woman was going to as well, she got out and stopped him from driving in and he bumped her with his car.

Whether or not that's true is another matter!

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:01 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:Nicky Thomas has left Glaws with immediate effect to join Scarlets.  Good scrummager, infinitely better than PDJ (but then who isn't?!), sadly his non-EQP status coupled with his considerable mid-rift limited his chances for us. An old school prop.

We've replaced him with another old school prop who hopefully will consign PDJ to just prodding the turf at half time with a fork. Salesi Ma'afu has joined us from Cardiff; he may be a shadow of his Saints days, but if we could get him even 50% of the way he'd be a considerable step up from PDJ and provide proper back up to Afoa.  Afoa can comfortably play a whole game, but this should work well with Ma'afu coming on for the last c.20 minutes (if we can get him properly fit!).

It was the same situation at the Ospreys. He barely played for us because he was so unfit.

Its a shame as I remember him and Nicky Smith destroying the England scrum when England beat Wales by 60 points but the welsh scrum with him as the anchor was immense.

I dont rate the Scarlets coaches and Samsons Lee coming of age was more Danny Wilson so reckon N Thomas spend his days playing in the welsh premiership and drinking in the clubhouse

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:22 pm

Eggchasers reporting rumours that Ben Morgan is mulling a move to Exeter, while Underhill is being courted by Worcester.

Quins and Gloucester both thought to be trying to sign Fearns, who has been linked to Leicester.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:55 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:Eggchasers reporting rumours that Ben Morgan is mulling a move to Exeter, while Underhill is being courted by Worcester.

Quins and Gloucester both thought to be trying to sign Fearns, who has been linked to Leicester.

Basically the entire Fissler section of TRP. Wink

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:42 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37752700

As suspected Mike Ford to Toulon as head coach

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:26 am

Welly wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:Eggchasers reporting rumours that Ben Morgan is mulling a move to Exeter, while Underhill is being courted by Worcester.

Basically the entire Fissler section of TRP. Wink

One of my main issues with the podcast is that they always accuse Fissler of stealing their rumours, when quite clearly he gets his rumours out to print at least 24 hours before their podcast goes out, at which point they accuse him of copying them!

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:27 am

Anything that annoys Fissler is ok by me

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:07 am

It appears that the smoke signals coming out of Bath all but officially confirm that George is leaving at the end of the season, with Tigers favourite as the destination, I doubt he would go to Saints, who are also allegedly waving their cheque book.
Great shame but the aftermath of his dad leaving, with input from various members of staff, appears to not have been reconciliable.
Replacement rumours of Henry Slade or Aaron Cruden seem a little early and ambitious but Blackadder will certainly have the budget given the tiny size of the Bath squad and Ford's salary.

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:21 am

lostinwales wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37752700

I have a very hard time understanding why anyone would want to work for Toulon given the way they routinely treat people. Is it any wonder they are struggling to deliver when each side player and coach must be wondering who'll be next to be parachuted into their job?

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:31 am

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
lostinwales wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37752700

I have a very hard time understanding why anyone would want to work for Toulon given the way they routinely treat people. Is it any wonder they are struggling to deliver when each side player and coach must be wondering who'll be next to be parachuted into their job?

Get to live in an affluent city on the south coast of France with the med on your doorstep. Huge wages, great weather, I'm guessing big pay-offs when things go sour with boss who can afford to fire people as he like, etc.

Boudjellal can't be the most stable guy to work for but I can certainly see the allure for people whose careers are limited and they need to make the most of it whilst they can.

How rapidly Toulon lost their identity, drive and camaraderie as a unit after Jonny retired is a testament to his leadership skills. When you read/listen to many interviews from Toulon players in that 2012-14 period the respect Jonny gets for turning a squad of superstars into a team is incredibly impressive. Carl Hayman had a huge role in that too of course.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:48 am

I would fricking love Quins to sign Fearns, he'd be great addition to the pack and replace something we've missed since Big Mo' Fasavalu left.

So i'm totally expecting it not to happen.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:55 am

Glasgow sign young lock Brian Alainu’uese from the (Non-Devon) Chiefs.

22 years old, but 6ft 8ins and 135kg. He'll be a big lad when he's all growed up.

A Dave Rennie special delivery - a Kiwi Will Skelton.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:04 am

Sounds like Fearns to Sarries (the one club not mentioned by Fissler so prob true).

Recwatcher would Love George to be back TBH.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:24 am

I'd take George back as well. I guess that Owen is wanting to head back to Wales in the summer if Ford is being offered big money.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:19 pm

Chris Ashton signs for RC Toulon

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:15 pm

Fluxy wrote:Chris Ashton signs for RC Toulon

Obviously read k-carlos post above.

Most of the AP will say good riddence; bearing in mind how much time he has spent banned, a lot of Sarries supporters as well
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:23 pm

Welly wrote: Sounds like Fearns to Sarries (the one club not mentioned by Fissler so prob true).

Georgie at 10 with Freddie at 15 and kicking goals would work for me.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:24 pm

He is a very good player when his heads in the game.

I sometimes think Sarries very aggressive systems forced him to have to front up too much and that lead to a lot of the silly things that he did.

Maybe at Toulon we'll see a slightly more chilled Ashton scoring shed loads. hope he takes some sun screen!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:28 pm

I suspect that Ashton will do very well at Toulon.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:45 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Welly wrote: Sounds like Fearns to Sarries (the one club not mentioned by Fissler so prob true).

Funnily enough, I could see Georgie at 10, with Mallinder Jnr at 12 and Burrell at 13. Alongside Foden and 15, North at 11 and possibly Estelles (he is electric) at 14 we would have a very aggresive backline, going forwards anyway.

Just need a new big lump at 4 to make that happen. Is Attwood getting restless do you know?

Along with a new forwards coach and DoR
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:06 am

yappysnap wrote:He is a very good player when his heads in the game.

I sometimes think Sarries very aggressive systems forced him to have to front up too much and that lead to a lot of the silly things that he did.

Maybe at Toulon we'll see a slightly more chilled Ashton scoring shed loads. hope he takes some sun screen!

Of course Ashton had a spotless disciplinary record before he was at Saracens.... Whistle

Can't really say that I am upset with Ashton leaving.

I wonder who Saracens will line up as his replacement.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:08 am

beshocked wrote:

Of course Ashton had a spotless disciplinary record before he was at Saracens.... Whistle

May Wink

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:15 am

lostinwales wrote:
beshocked wrote:

May Wink

I don't think road runner would be bad, if Sarries can improve his defence, get rid of his bad habits. Might well improve him as a player.

He does have lots of pace. If his overall game awareness is improved though.....

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:37 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one banging the drum for Burns to revert to 15. He could provide the Geordie style second playmaker and he has a surprising turn of pace. It would be a nice platform to bring through Worth who is a 15 capable of kicking goals, playing 10 or 12 and who we cannot let slip through our fingers ala Lewington. Having a playmaker 15 as part of the backline will allow him to slot in mug easier than if we're expecting him to run it back all the time like TV.

Sarries seem to like hunting around the sevens circuit so I'd imagine that's where they'll start looking for a replacement. Ashton , despite him temper, is a supreme finisher. He'll be tough to replace as his ability to appear in the right place to score is exceptional and his hard work off the ball in underrated. I'm not sure May will be a Sarries style signing. He's a his best when it's a broken field, Sarries like more structure than that and a tactical option at 15. Now Bryce Heam from Worcester he'd fit in well or Kilbridge from Falcons.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:39 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

Funnily enough, I could see Georgie at 10, with Mallinder Jnr at 12 and Burrell at 13. Alongside Foden and 15, North at 11 and possibly Estelles (he is electric) at 14 we would have a very aggresive backline, going forwards anyway.

Just need a new big lump at 4 to make that happen. Is Attwood getting restless do you know?

Would be massively surpised if Ford went to stains.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:44 pm

beshocked wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
beshocked wrote:

May Wink

I don't think road runner would be bad, if Sarries can improve his defence, get rid of his bad habits. Might well improve him as a player.

He does have lots of pace.  If his overall game awareness is improved though.....

Well didn't work for Ashton, and you loved him all the same

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:44 pm

Apparently Gloucestershire media are saying James Hook on his way to us (Ospreys) but that Bath are looking at him as well, would be good cover for a number of positions, especially to give Dan Evans a break.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:12 pm

I expect Hook to leave as whilst we've offered him a new contract, he is neither first choice FH or FB. I'd love him to stay as he is a class player, but I think our funds could be better spent elsewhere.

Hibbard is being linked to Cardiff, but with his international career seemingly over he may well opt to stay as I believe his family have settled well in Glos.

Morgan is being heavily linked to Chiefs and Tigers. I wouldn't be too bothered if he were to leave as he rarely has a good 80 minutes; instead he has the odd moment but he doesn't get across the gain line enough for me, and his scrummaging could be better.

Kvesic appears to be off to Chiefs too. I'd be gutted if he were to leave as the last 2 years he has been truly outstanding. Nevertheless, he has been muted by the breakdown changes and is in a low patch of form at present. I have every confidence that he will come out of this and regain his form; Chiefs will have a hell of a player if they do sign him.

Glaws are in the market for BIG front 5 players and a FH.

The one player not going anywhere is Jonny May as he signed a contract extension, believed to be for 3 years, last season.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:26 pm

I know Sam isn't a fan of Morgan but I think he would really fit into our back row.

Although IF Croft does go we could still do with another Back Rower, that being said I wouldn't mind O'Connor playing more at 8 and Evans starting @ 7.

Back row of
6) Williams
7) Evans
8) Morgan

Bench
McCaffrey, O'Connor, Hamilton

Academy
Grahamslaw, Reffell, Fred Jnr, Fenner

(Can't see Owen staying TBH)

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:49 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:I expect Hook to leave as whilst we've offered him a new contract, he is neither first choice FH or FB.  I'd love him to stay as he is a class player, but I think our funds could be better spent elsewhere.

Hibbard is being linked to Cardiff, but with his international career seemingly over he may well opt to stay as I believe his family have settled well in Glos.

Hook is a decent club player these days. He would be a good fit back at Ospreys because they have two good 10's ahead of him and a second five-eight (Matavesi) to carry Hook if he starts at fly-half; therefore Ospreys improve their squad depth once again.

If that's true about Hibbard then it seems Wilson is looking short-term, which is unlike him. None of Blues younger front players have much game time if any at all under him.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:22 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:...
The one player not going anywhere is Jonny May as he signed a contract extension, believed to be for 3 years, last season.

There is a very obvious if silly reason for mentioning May to Saracens. It's not serious

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:27 pm

lostinwales wrote:

There is a very obvious if silly reason for mentioning May to Saracens. It's not serious

I know, it would be deliciously ironic (sorry beshocked Wink)
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:53 pm

lostinwales wrote:

If a player can be improved with a change in clubs then I welcome it. Even if it's moving away from Saracens.

At the moment though it's generally better for a player's career to move to Saracens and not leave.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:09 am

Welly wrote:
WELL-PAST-IT wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

Would be massively surpised if Ford went to stains.

So would I, Staines is a long way from Northampton. I live about 5 miles away, unless you are on the river, not the best place to live.

Saints should be seriously looking for a replacement for Myler, Georgie would be a perfect signing with the young backline they could have in a couple of years. Mallinder, Stephenson, Burrell, North, Estelles all made to play with an artist like Georgie Boy.

Tiggers already have two top class 10s, would Ford want the competition? He could be king of Franklins Gardens.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:33 am

beshocked wrote:
lostinwales wrote:

If a player can be improved with a change in clubs then I welcome it. Even if it's moving away from Saracens.

At the moment though it's generally better for a player's career to move to Saracens and not leave.

So that's what Schalk Burger was doing.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:35 am

Why would he want to be king of Franklins Gardens, he would have been taught all his pro rugby life that only mediocre players go to Saints.

Re Tigers 2 10's that is assuming Williams is staying.

Honestly if Ford was genuinely picking between saints and Tigers then I can't see him picking Saints.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:15 am

Just glad for once there's no rumours about Falcons players. Maybe we're finally getting our players to ignore the overtures of big clubs and stay!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:36 am

Just wait until Tigers fail to sign Ford, lose Williams back to a region and hence can't look at shifting Burns to 15. I'm sure Hammersley will start looking really attractive as Taits long term successor at 15 GF Hug

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:38 am

Harris
Catterick
Hammersley
Kilridge
Wilson

All going to Tigers....

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:01 pm

beshocked wrote:...At the moment though it's generally better for a player's career to move to Saracens and not leave...
It depends what you mean by career. Chris Ashton joined Saracens for the 2012-3 season. By the end of that season, his England career was effectively over.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:54 pm

Welly wrote: I know Sam isn't a fan of Morgan but I think he would really fit into our back row.

Although IF Croft does go we could still do with another Back Rower, that being said I wouldn't mind O'Connor playing more at 8 and Evans starting @ 7.

Back row of
6) Williams
7) Evans
8) Morgan

Bench
McCaffrey, O'Connor, Hamilton

Academy
Grahamslaw, Reffell, Fred Jnr, Fenner

(Can't see Owen staying TBH)

Morgan will be just another Waldrom. Great when we have the ball and anonymous when we don't. I'd rather we spent more time bringing on Fred Jnr. He's got all of Morgan's pluses but a big tackle for defence as well.

Carlos, I'd take Hammersley.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:04 pm

Sam, I think you should re-consider, Morgan will really improve your pack... Whistle

In fairness to him, his performances this season have been better, but he just isn't a game changer or carries well enough. Whilst he's a local lad I wouldn't be disappointed to see him go and he is perhaps indicative of Glaws' lack of physicality in the pack; he's never made the hits the likes of Delve, Paramore, Balding, etc did and we need someone in that style to replace him.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:30 pm

Surely Ford could do better than Saints/Tigers?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:46 pm

mikey dragon well actually it might be useful for Schalk Burger if he wants to get a job in the city after he finishes rugby. Players have to think about that. Plus he might not want to stay in South Africa.

The attraction to Saracens isn't just about money, you have easy access to the capital, player support is very good. Saracens treat their players like kings. This attitude is in contrast to their poor treatment of fans but Saracens' focus on players means they have a very strong team and find it easy to attract players.

It's no surprise Sarries are champions but have poor support. They treat their loyal supporters badly and struggle to connect with potential new fans.

Their marketing is now sub par, the creativity has gone.

There were rumours Saracens were looking at Liam Williams, he would be a good replacement for Ashton, another winger/full back too which adds flexibility.

Rugby fan I would say that Lancaster was more to blame for the decline of Ashton than Saracens. Ashton was top try scorer in the HC in 2013/14. Plus obviously Toulon want Ashton so his earnings should go up with the move not down, especially as he's leaving contract early. As for Ashton's state of mind - well he's always been like that. He likely learned his tricks of the trade from Hartley.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:59 pm

That's a shame as Morgan had a lot of potential, he's big, pretty quick and a good eye for a gap and good hands.

Seems to have just never kicked on from that first good season he had leaving Wales.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:08 pm

If Morgan moves to Chiefs then it might do him well! That Exeter pack is very hard working and will hopefully encourage morgan to graft too. At the very least it will give him a platform to carry well.

George Ford is an interesting one - I am sure that there are several prem clubs that would pay well for him.
Has anyone considered that George might want to be off to join his Dad at Toulon - it would be a tragedy for his England career if he did.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next