The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

+49
nathan
Heaf
Cumbrian
englishborn
Seagultaf
rosbif
Margin_Walker
prop_lyd
GunsGermsV2
munkian
uncle_nigel
Gooseberry
killer938
geoff999rugby
Dollar Bill
Bathman_in_London
B91212
ChequeredJersey
BigGee
wayne
LondonTiger
WELL-PAST-IT
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Recwatcher16
SirBurger
lostinwales
XR
Hazel Sapling
stnick88
Ozzy3213
George Carlin
No 7&1/2
whocares
beshocked
Fluxy
Sgt_Pooly
Geordie
king_carlos
Cyril
BamBam
True Raven
HongKongCherry
mikey_dragon
Welly
propdavid_london
yappysnap
Bathite
Rugby Fan
formerly known as Sam
53 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 7 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 3 Oct - 7:28

First topic message reminder :

Nit before the Lions tour. Don't think any of the All Black internationals will end their career pre tour.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 7 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by stnick88 Wed 23 Nov - 10:59

think that was only temporary

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17 - Page 7 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 16/17

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 23 Nov - 11:22

All the noises that I am hearing from within London Irish are that recruitment is going well and some good signings have already been made, just with clauses in the contracts that they will only be coming if we get promoted.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Wed 23 Nov - 11:25

Ozzy3213 wrote:All the noises that I am hearing from within London Irish are that recruitment is going well and some good signings have already been made, just with clauses in the contracts that they will only be coming if we get promoted.

Thank you both (Ozzy and Stnick). That is incredibly reassuring to hear.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 23 Nov - 11:31

Welly wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Haven't Exeter just picked up Matawalu? How many scrum halves do they need? Not sure Pienaar would suit their style, he'd be ideal for Sarries.

Lewis to Harlequins by the sounds of it.

Pienaar suits Exeter style way more than Matawalu who is more of a wing TBH.

Not really, Exeter play with a quick tempo, forwards round the corner and look to their 10 for the tactical option. Matawalu is well suited to that high tempo game plan. Pienaar is a general at 9 used to providing the tactical kicking and organisation. Pretty much exactly the job Wigglesworth does at Sarries (only Pienaar is better at it).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed 23 Nov - 12:05

LondonTiger wrote:I thought Pienaar was off to Montpelier?

No chance - he want to live in Northern Ireland permanently and as such is continuing with his application for British citizenship.

To quote from the time he realised he had to leave

'envisages returning to Northern Ireland when his playing days are done and has already sounded out Ulster CEO Shane Logan about a future in coaching.'

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Wed 23 Nov - 12:12

geoff999rugby wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:I thought Pienaar was off to Montpelier?

No chance - he want to live in Northern Ireland permanently and as such is continuing with his application for British citizenship.

To quote from the time he realised he had to leave

'envisages returning to Northern Ireland when his playing days are done and has already sounded out Ulster CEO Shane Logan about a future in coaching.'

Does he qualify for Irish citizenship living in Belfast?

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed 23 Nov - 12:22

No - he has to both live in the 6 counties for 4 years and be married to an Irish citizen

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 24 Nov - 9:14

Sounds Owen is staying at Tigers.

Good news IMO.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 24 Nov - 9:41

Very good news. Owen has played well for us and he's improving. Handily covers 10 and 12. Slightly surprised none of the Welsh regions tried harder to tempt him back.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_nigel Thu 24 Nov - 10:00

formerly known as Sam wrote:Very good news. Owen has played well for us and he's improving. Handily covers 10 and 12. Slightly surprised none of the Welsh regions tried harder to tempt him back.

I was lead to believe he wanted international caps and staying at Tigers will prevent that from happening. If none of the Welsh regions tried to sign him up then I'm just as surprised as you are. Williams would have been a good fit at either one of them. Each region has an erratic fly-half and Dan Biggar isn't going to be around forever.

uncle_nigel

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 24 Nov - 10:03

uncle_nigel wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Very good news. Owen has played well for us and he's improving. Handily covers 10 and 12. Slightly surprised none of the Welsh regions tried harder to tempt him back.

I was lead to believe he wanted international caps and staying at Tigers will prevent that from happening. If none of the Welsh regions tried to sign him up then I'm just as surprised as you are. Williams would have been a good fit at either one of them. Each region has an erratic fly-half and Dan Biggar isn't going to be around forever.

Sounds like the loophole is that Owen and Tigers have an optional year built in the contract which is added on automatically UNLESS Owen says he wants to leave rather than having a new contract.

He was saying on Radio Leicester that he it won't affect Wales.

Looking into Gatlands law there are loads of loopholes for example it doesn't count if a Welsh region didn't offer the player a market value contract.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_nigel Thu 24 Nov - 10:05

Welly wrote:
uncle_nigel wrote:

Sounds like the loophole is that Owen and Tigers have an optional year built in the contract which is added on automatically UNLESS Owen says he wants to leave rather than having a new contract.

He was saying on Radio Leicester that he it won't affect Wales.

Looking into Gatlands law there are loads of loopholes for example it doesn't count if a Welsh region didn't offer the player a market value contract.

Oh is that because he signed up for Tigers before 'Gatland's Law' ?

uncle_nigel

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 24 Nov - 10:13

Yeh he signed the contract just before Gatlands law was introduced.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Fri 25 Nov - 12:11

Midi Olympique have reported that Stade are in talks with Telusa Veainu

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle_nigel Fri 25 Nov - 12:17

Welly wrote: Yeh he signed the contract just before Gatlands law was introduced.

There has been a bit of chit-chat from your coach regarding this, and he certainly believes that Owen is a capable international but needs to be given opportunities. It did get me thinking that if Owen can play well at 12 then it might add the extra dimension that Wales seem to be lacking. It would hopefully help us get it wide quicker than defenses can rush up on it, plus we have a few good finishers in the back 3. It works for England so why not...

uncle_nigel

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 25 Nov - 12:35

uncle_nigel wrote:
Welly wrote: Yeh he signed the contract just before Gatlands law was introduced.

There has been a bit of chit-chat from your coach regarding this, and he certainly believes that Owen is a capable international but needs to be given opportunities. It did get me thinking that if Owen can play well at 12 then it might add the extra dimension that Wales seem to be lacking. It would hopefully help us get it wide quicker than defenses can rush up on it, plus we have a few good finishers in the back 3. It works for England so why not...

I think it would be worth a go TBH.

He is now our number 1 12 till at least March so if he can put in some good games Gatland might look at adding him for 6n's.

Wales seem to have a few exciting running 10's coming but not many 10/12 solid players in the Farrell mould.

Fluxy wrote:Midi Olympique have reported that Stade are in talks with Telusa Veainu

He is in contract so would be surpised.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 25 Nov - 13:05

Stade can keep their French fingers off of TV. There's not many players as electric as him so I'd rather hope we're not losing hin whilst he's under contract.

Williams would be a good option for Wales. Big pass, big boot, definitely fits the physique for a Gatland player and he reads the game well. Doesn't make many breaks ball in hand though. Definitely more of a Farrell than a Giteau option at 12.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 25 Nov - 13:09

formerly known as Sam wrote:Stade can keep their French fingers off of TV. There's not many players as electric as him so I'd rather hope we're not losing hin whilst he's under contract.

Williams would be a good option for Wales. Big pass, big boot, definitely fits the physique for a Gatland player and he reads the game well. Doesn't make many breaks ball in hand though. Definitely more of a Farrell than a Giteau option at 12.

Don't think Stade would even have the money TBH to offer us a deal to release him.

Pretty sure they are struggling money wise.

I'm 90% sure he signed a 3 year deal.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 25 Nov - 13:40

Welly wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Stade can keep their French fingers off of TV. There's not many players as electric as him so I'd rather hope we're not losing hin whilst he's under contract.

Don't think Stade would even have the money TBH to offer us a deal to release him.

Pretty sure they are struggling money wise.

I'm 90% sure he signed a 3 year deal.

Unless the deal is to release one of theirs for one of ours. We are after a big ball carrying backrow after all and they have a certain South African who hasn't quite set the world alight there. TV for Alberts? Bit of 2 and 2 equalling 5 there but you never know.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 27 Nov - 15:34

Mermoz being linked to Quins, Glous and Tigers.

I wouldn't mind him at Tigers really.

I'm not sold on our academy options there currently (Well Ones being ready in the next 2 seasons)
Thacker seems solid enough, Not sure on Bryant though.

If he goes quins wouldn't mind looking to pinch Sloan maybe though.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 27 Nov - 15:50

Mermoz isn't getting younger and won't be very cheap. I don't see the point of purchasing him as a back up option. Toomua, Manu, Smith and Roberts are all reliable first team options. I'd prefer to look at us bringing back Hurrell if/when Bristol go down or rescue Tim Streather from the Saracens reserves. If Woodward impresses at 13 this season for Bristol he could be worth stealing as well given he plays wing, full back and points kicks which would suit us.

I think all would be cheaper that Maximé.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 27 Nov - 16:15

Fluxy wrote:Midi Olympique have reported that Stade are in talks with Telusa Veainu

Veainu poured ice cold water over these rumours with a series of tweets along the lines of "Stade???", "stillatiger", "stayingput", etc.

Of course twitter isn't a bastion of truth but TV has spoken many times about being very happy at Tigers and wanting to stick around for the long haul. I'd be very surprised if he left. When he re-signed last season he was tearing everything up, had already become a fan favourite and recently stated he wanted to stick out his career at Tigers.

Much to the relief of Tigers fans I think it's fair to say this will just be agent talk trying to bump up contract negotiations elsewhere.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 27 Nov - 16:20

formerly known as Sam wrote:Mermoz isn't getting younger and won't be very cheap. I don't see the point of purchasing him as a back up option. Toomua, Manu, Smith and Roberts are all reliable first team options. I'd prefer to look at us bringing back Hurrell if/when Bristol go down or rescue Tim Streather from the Saracens reserves. If Woodward impresses at 13 this season for Bristol he could be worth stealing as well given he plays wing, full back and points kicks which would suit us.

I think all would be cheaper that Maximé.

Woodward was apparently to expensive for Gloucester before he joined Bristol.

Was apparently putting his CV across the league sounds like he was wanting big bucks. Mermoz price would be a bit lower if he was not wanting to stay in the top14.

Hurrell i wouldn't mind bringing back though. Streather is to old considering how little of top flight rugby he has played he is 29 in june.

For me Mermoz age is a plus IMO, very experienced and a good midfield general and unlike JDV has a very good injury record.

Last edited by Welly on Sun 27 Nov - 16:22; edited 1 time in total

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 27 Nov - 16:21

Mermoz to Tigers has been floating around since last season.

I'm torn on it TBH. On the one hand he'd offer excellent cover to Toomua and Manu, especially as needed injury cover. On the other hand he could hold back a few talent EQP players and would cost a fair bit.

At the right price I'd happily see him come over but he'd likely cost too much for what he offers. I'd rather keep developing Jack Roberts and George Catchpole then spend the money elsewhere.

At the moment I'd love him here with Toomua injured for the season and Manu being Manu. Sods law would likely dictate that if he came everyone would suddenly be fit though and the youngster getting no game time!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Sun 27 Nov - 16:24

king_carlos wrote:Mermoz to Tigers has been floating around since last season.

I'm torn on it TBH. On the one hand he'd offer excellent cover to Toomua and Manu, especially as needed injury cover. On the other hand he could hold back a few talent EQP players and would cost a fair bit.

At the right price I'd happily see him come over but he'd likely cost too much for what he offers. I'd rather keep developing Jack Roberts and George Catchpole then spend the money elsewhere.

At the moment I'd love him here with Toomua injured for the season and Manu being Manu. Sods law would likely dictate that if he came everyone would suddenly be fit though and the youngster getting no game time!

Catchpole is viewed as a Wing now not a 13, and will hopefully get a chance of staying injury free.

Roberts is promising though.

Just feel without Toomua or Manu our midfield lacks direction.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 27 Nov - 16:38

I can see Catchpole slowly moving back in field as his career goes on. I just think he lacks out and out pace to fulfill his promise on the wing. He reminds many of Matt Smith in that he might lack the pace/power to be a potential international but his basics are excellent. If he can become as good a club player as Smith then he'll be a great asset for years.

Agreed we lack direction without Toomua and Manu. I think pretty much any side would without their starting centres though.

One plus for Mermoz would be allowing Betham to cover the back three. With Taity heading to France by all accounts we are going to need to add there. Worth is coming through excellently though.

IMO Tigers will either bolster centre with a new signing and cover the back three from within, or bolster FB then allow Betham and Catchpole to cover 13. I think it will be one or the other not both.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 27 Nov - 16:46

A few more mutters are floating around that Alex Goode might be heading to London Irish for next season now that Sanjay is coming to Sarries.

Would seem a very odd move unless he is being offered a lot more money or Williams is demanding to play 15. It wouldn't help his England chances and he is a core cog in a trophy winning Sarries machine.

I can only presume it's either agents trying to whip up negotiations for more money at Sarries. Or of course it's just complete codswallop that someone has plucked from thin air to cheer up silly season! Headscratch

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 27 Nov - 19:20

Welly wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Mermoz to Tigers has been floating around since last season.

Catchpole is viewed as a Wing now not a 13, and will hopefully get a chance of staying injury free.

Roberts is promising though.

Just feel without Toomua or Manu our midfield lacks direction.

That's because our attack is far too relient on individual brilliance. We signed JPP and Toomua to try and compensate for our lack of a coherent attacking structure.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Sun 27 Nov - 20:23

king_carlos wrote:A few more mutters are floating around that Alex Goode might be heading to London Irish for next season now that Sanjay is coming to Sarries.

Would seem a very odd move unless he is being offered a lot more money or Williams is demanding to play 15. It wouldn't help his England chances and he is a core cog in a trophy winning Sarries machine.

I can only presume it's either agents trying to whip up negotiations for more money at Sarries. Or of course it's just complete codswallop that someone has plucked from thin air to cheer up silly season! Headscratch

Really would be a bizarre one. Obviously as an Irish fan I wouldn't be one to sniff at such an excellent signing, but the 10/15 role is one that we actually look fairly well sorted for next season. Marshall and Bell have been fantastic for us and we have Brophy Clews coming through who we have big hopes for. Pienaar would make more sense and would seem more likely given his lack of international ambitions.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 29 Nov - 19:45

Bristol to bring in Dan Tuohy from Ulster.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Wed 30 Nov - 21:57

Hook confirmed back to Ospreys.
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 1 Dec - 10:04

prop_lyd wrote:Hook confirmed back to Ospreys.

A good utility option but has been underwhelming at Glaws. Lost the ten shirt to Billy Burns. Gloucester freeing up some cap for reinvestment isn't a bad thing, they need an experienced half back with Laidlaw going.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 1 Dec - 10:53

formerly known as Sam wrote:
prop_lyd wrote:Hook confirmed back to Ospreys.

A good utility option but has been underwhelming at Glaws. Lost the ten shirt to Billy Burns. Gloucester freeing up some cap for reinvestment isn't a bad thing, they need an experienced half back with Laidlaw going.

He has been underwhelming as a 10; he stands too deep and runs sideways. Yet he still has moments of pure magic and this season since playing at 15 he has been far better and so I am gutted he is leaving, but he will free up a large chunk of salary.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 1 Dec - 11:21

Glaws still have Marshall as an option at 15 and presumably there's another option coming through the academy?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 1 Dec - 11:25

Marshall is our only option and his injury record isn't great. He missed 5 months last season and is out at the moment for 3-4 months this season.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 4 Dec - 17:24

Latest George Ford rumour is:

Ford ---> Wasps

Cipriani ---> Toulon (Cips having given up on further England honours)

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 4 Dec - 17:48

king_carlos wrote:Latest George Ford rumour is:

Ford ---> Wasps

If Ford is set on leaving, then that might make sense for everyone. Wonder how that conversation started, though. When Leicester were considering Ford, Cockerill mooted a swap for Burns without telling Burns.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 4 Dec - 18:09

Rugby Fan wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Latest George Ford rumour is:

Ford ---> Wasps

If Ford is set on leaving, then that might make sense for everyone. Wonder how that conversation started, though. When Leicester were considering Ford, Cockerill mooted a swap for Burns without telling Burns.

Some whispers that Ford snr could have had a nudge in it as well. Toulon have been looking to sign Cips for a while. Wasps would be unlikely to let him go without a replacement already secured. Hence Ford snr could have put a word in with George that Wasps could have an opening at 10 with a fair chunk of salary to spend.

Given some of rumours about the circumstances in which Ford snr left himself with George last season I find it hard to believe that he has as much influence over him as he once did. Bath fans will know much more about that than me though I'd guess.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 5 Dec - 19:41

Wigglesworth seem to somehow interest Toulon...

Clermont meanwhile is keeping busy this time recruiting Canes Tongan LH loni Uhila for next season.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 5 Dec - 21:19

Wigglesworth will keep the pack moving and pass good ball accurately to the backs. His tactical kicking is very good and he can kick for goal as well. Might well suit the French style and help give the stellar backline a decent platform.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 6 Dec - 12:36

Sarries sign Will Skelton on a short term contract to cover the second row vacany vacated by Hargreaves retirement.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 6 Dec - 12:53

He is a beast of a man. Not good for the lineout (at 140kg you can't lift him) but the scrummaging and carrying he provides will be a boon.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 6 Dec - 13:13

I really don't think he's a better player than Hamilton or Rhodes at lock
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 6 Dec - 13:20

Rhodes seemed to play BR more for the Stormers when I watched. Hamilton is quite old. Skelton will carry more than either. Probably use him to take Vunipola's and Itoje's carries while they are out.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 6 Dec - 13:23

Havent Sarries got another young lock in Itojes stamp coming through.

They're certainly developing them well down there!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 6 Dec - 13:30

GeordieFalcon wrote:Havent Sarries got another young lock in Itojes stamp coming through.

Isiekwe Only 18 but highly rated.

Skeleton is a bit of a thick brute though, who fitness is pretty lax.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 6 Dec - 14:05

Could be the making of Skelton. Sarries won't allow him to ease off the work like he does in Aus. He'll be worked hard and if he excels will probably leave a better player. Sarries gain a wrecking ball in the short term whilst missing some pretty key players.

Rhodes has played 6 a bit for Sarries as well Hazel.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 6 Dec - 14:19

I really like Skelton but Aus just don't seem to know how to utilise him best. Could be a great signing for both parties as Sarries will certainly look to get the best out of him.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 6 Dec - 14:47

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I really like Skelton but Aus just don't seem to know how to utilise him best. Could be a great signing for both parties as Sarries will certainly look to get the best out of him.

If anyone can make him 'all he can be' then its Sarries. But it will take time- probably longer than his contract.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 6 Dec - 15:09

Welly wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Havent Sarries got another young lock in Itojes stamp coming through.

Isiekwe Only 18 but highly rated.

Skeleton is a bit of a thick brute though, who fitness is pretty lax.

I guess Billy and Mako are examples of how they can get people fit....just depends how long he's going to be there.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next